Author's Chapter Notes:
For those of you who are Angel fans, you might not want to read this chapter. I show my full hate for him here... Sorry. For people who do read it, please review! I always love reviews!
In her room, Buffy listened to the men fight through the wall. She heard something about how she would only love him if he got the Shanshu prophecy. She couldn’t tell the voices apart, but she figured that was Spike. Then Buffy heard some actual fighting- fists, fangs, and all. There was still yelling, but mostly she heard growls, and she heard one of them being kicked into the wall. Then, there was some muttering, and Buffy knew they were worried about her “waking up.” She stopped paying attention and thought about everything that had happened that day. She tried to think about Spike being alive, but it was too much for her brain to handle, even though she had heard it before. Instead, she thought about something more familiar- the apocalypse.

‘So, Angel averted another apocalypse… How could they do that on their own? There must have been somebody else helping them.’ She was careful not to think about who was included in ‘they,’ but finally, she couldn’t avoid it anymore. Every time she tried to think about something else, her brain betrayed her and went running back to Spike.

‘Oh God, he thinks I was lying… I told him I loved him, and what were his exact words? Oh yeah, ‘No you don’t, but thanks for sayin’ it.’’ Much as she tried to blame that on him, she couldn’t. Buffy knew it was her fault for not telling him sooner, for waiting until he was about to die.

Suddenly, she ran into Spike and Angel’s new room, glad to see he was still awake. ‘Duh, they’re vampires, of course they’re not asleep in the middle of the night… That is why, right?’ But just as she thought this, she noticed that Angel, on the other hand was sleeping already. So she gestured for Spike to follow her out, closing the door behind them.

“Yeah, luv?” he asked in that way that always made her melt inside.

Buffy sat down and patted the couch next to her. After he joined her, she looked at him, straight into his eyes. “You know, I was telling the truth.”

“ ‘Bout what?” Spike had the feeling he already knew the answer, but he wanted to hear her say it.

“I love you.” Buffy said. It sounded different to her, but right. So she said it again, waiting for his reaction.

Spike’s eyes softened as he tucked some hair behind her ear. “I love you, too. And you know you just made me the happiest man on this planet, don’t you?”

Instead of answering him, Buffy leaned closer to him and pressed her lips against his. She knew that from that moment on, she would stay with him forever, no matter what. Of course, Angel chose that exact moment to barge in. Buffy opened her eyes, panicking, but saw the mischievous twinkle in Spike’s own. She deepened the kiss, pretending not to notice Angel standing in the guest room doorway.

“What the hell is going on?” Angel yelled, ever the idiot. “Spike, what kind of spell have you put on her?!”

Regretfully, Buffy pulled away. “He hasn’t done anything to me! Who says I can’t love someone other than you? Oh, and by the way, the cookie analogy? I’m done baking.”

Spike just watched the two of them, confused. ‘Cookies? What? Oh well, maybe she’ll tell me some other day’ For the time being, he was content to watch Buffy yell at the Poof- about him of all things (or, as the case may be, vampires).

“This is my choice! My life is mine, not yours! And if you can’t handle that, you can leave!”

She continued yelling, her face growing redder by the second. Angel just looked on, wondering what had brought on her anger. He knew it wasn’t actually him, because she had told him that there was a part of her that would always love him.

Finally, Spike stepped in. “I hate too say this, but I think he gets the point, pet,” he said, standing up and lightly grabbing her hand.

Calming down, she said “Yeah, I think you’re probably right. But if he thinks he can say something about us ever again” She was cut off by Spike.

“I’ll personally rip his head off, just so you don’t have to.”

“Okay, I think we really should get to sleep now.” Buffy replied, already feeling exhausted. She turned back to Angel before saying, “You can stay here as long as you don’t say anything like that again.” Spike smirked at he shell- shocked look on Angel’s face.

They all walked back out of the living room. Just before Spike went back into the room, Buffy grabbed his arm. Turning around to look at her, he saw the love in her eyes that he had been searching for so many years. She kissed him again before returning to her own room.

Buffy wondered how she came to be so lucky, and they fell asleep, dreaming of each other.

***


The next morning, Spike woke up and looked around him. The other bed was empty, meaning Angel had already up and left from the pressure. Spike chuckled at the irony of it… Angel always left when things got rough, but usually there was some notice first.
Walking out of the room, he found the “notice.” Taped to the door, there was a note.

Dear Buffy,

I am leaving, so you won’t have to deal with your first love anymore. I don’t know what Spike’s done to you, but I hope it doesn’t last for long. When whatever it is wears off, call me. Maybe then we can talk out the things you said.

Angel


Spike snorted. The Poof would never be able to accept anyone in Buffy’s life but himself, when he was the one who always left.

The note fell into the garbage, because it was garbage. Spike would tell Buffy what it said, but he doubted she would care much after last night’s outburst.

Spike heard Buffy coming out of her room and turned to face her, grinning widely with anticipation for the day ahead.