Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry, for those of you like Angel... This chapter has more Angel bashing- except this is more literal. Also, sorry for the lateness... I have nothing to blame but my forgetfullness.
Spike froze. ‘What the hell is happening?’ he wondered.

Buffy was still beaming up at them. Everyone else was watching her, confused. What had happened to the Buffy that had been cheerfully holding hands with Spike and giving him loving looks not even an hour ago? And of course, it had to be Angel she was going for now, of all people- or vampires.

Spike was the most scared out of all of them. He had actually been stupid enough to believe her when she had said she loved him. He mentally smacked himself for being such an idiot. He suddenly realized that somehow they had walked outside, and sunrise was just a few hours away- two to be exact.

Meanwhile, Angel watched it all (along with the conversation from a few minutes ago) with a smile, hiding behind a tombstone. He hadn’t gone back to L.A. after he left Buffy’s apartment. In fact, he had stayed in Rome, and discovered a local witch and hired her. She had done a spell, and ta-da, he had Buffy’s love again! Then, since he couldn’t wait to see what happened, he had the witch do a locator spell for him. It brought him here, and he had waited until they all came out, not wanting to give away his position just yet.

Finally, Spike broke the awkward silence. “How could you lie about loving me?” he asked, the hurt shining in his eyes. The question was barely more than a whisper.

Buffy looked at him with the innocence of the little girl she once was. “I wasn’t lying. I did love you. Then,” she added when she saw the hope in his eyes, not wanting to mislead him. “I hope we can still be friends,” she said truthfully.

Buffy led them all away, not noticing the tears that were threatening to fall from Spike’s eyes. Willow tried to comfort him, but all she could think of to do was pat his back. Even Xander and Giles tried to help, but they also failed. As the Scoobies walked down the street, everyone noticed the gloomy atmosphere except for Buffy, who was practically skipping down the sidewalk. Spike walked far behind her with his head hung down while Willow, Xander, and Giles walked nearby. For some reason they couldn’t place, they felt that if they left him, he would have a breakdown much worse than this.

Angel walked along behind the trees and bushes. He was within Buffy’s “spidey sense” range, but she didn’t notice him. Every once in a while, he would look back at Spike, reveling in the look of pain. He could tell Spike knew he was there though, and he also knew that he had done something to Buffy. Angel noticed something in Spike’s eyes that nobody else could see- a hidden glint of hatred- his demon was bound to come forth soon, and Angel would be dead (in the sense of dust) within seconds once that happened. Just in case, Angel kept as far from him as possible without leaving Buffy.

Just as was predicted, Spike’s demon visage appeared, and he ran at full speed toward the small amount of woods by the side of the area they were walking on, growling the whole time. Buffy walked merrily along in her own little world, not even noticing the sounds. The other three stood watching as Spike dove through the bushes, believing that he had gone insane again. Their faces went from shocked to bored in a matter of seconds. Was everything always going to be the same for them?

Soon, he was entirely hidden from view, rolling on the ground after having tackled Angel. He pinned him down with one hand as his other one went into the air, turning into a fist. He brought it down on Angel’s face, but he didn’t get the broken nose he had been hoping for. “What. Did. You. Do. To. Her?!” he yelled, punctuating every word with another punch. After the last blow, he finally heard the satisfying crunch from his grandsire’s nose. However, Angel wouldn’t go down without a fight. The pain brought his own demon to the front, and he rolled so that Spike would be pinned beneath him. He barely got one blow in, though, before he was kicked off. On a regular day, this might have been a fair fight, but not when Spike was fuelled by anger at what had happened to Buffy.

Spike stood up and brushed himself off at the same time Angel pushed himself away from the tree he had flown into. They circled each other a few moments that seemed like an eternity, and finally, Angel made the next move. He ran at Spike as he fast as he could, but ended up running straight into a tree- head first. Spike had calmly dodged at the last second, and Angel had been going too fast to stop.

The sound of them trading punches. Kicks, and rude words carried to Xander, Giles, and Willow, and they exchanged yet another bored look. Buffy finally noticed that nobody was following her, and she went back to them. “Where’s Spike?” she asked. They nodded towards the noise, and she just nodded calmly. Then, she heard Angel’s voice. “Oh my god, Angel!” she said, trying to run and help him. But the other members of the Scooby Gang held her back.

Finally, just as Spike was pulling out a stake, Angel confessed to what he did. He claimed he didn’t know how to reverse it, though, so Spike brought the stake out the rest of the way. “Okay, okay!” Angel all but yelped. Maybe he had acted tough during one of their last fights, but that stake had hurt! He said he really didn’t know how to reverse it, but he gave Spike the address of the witch he had hired. Spike put the wood back in his pocket, but punched Angel one more time, just for the fun of it.

As Angel lay on the ground getting his strength back, Spike swaggered out of the small wooded area to find three glowing faces and one scared one. “Okay, we’re goin’ to see a witch,” he said. “Other than you, of course, Red. The Poof said she was the only one who could undo the spell, and that’s all he knows.” He didn’t say what spell it was, because he didn’t feel like having the wrath of Buffy aimed at him, but the others already knew.