Author's Chapter Notes:
(()) means the charactors thinking.
Chapter 5:

(2006, Sunnydale)

She pulled her coat tighter around her and quietly crept down to the basement of the Magic Box. An older gentleman owned it, but his assistant was the only one working right now. Anya, as her name tag stated, never left the register and wouldn’t dare leave it in the open for anyone to steal. Buffy had taken this route many times, it was the easiest way to get to her home in the daylight. She often came here to make small talk with one of the usual costumers: Willow Rosenberg. She’d known the meek redhead for almost two years and had become quite close. She knew everything about her: She had learned that Willow was gay, was a Wiccan, and that she studying in a local college. Buffy had told her about herself too. Except she left out the part about her being a hundred and forty-three year old queen vampire.

((Queen vampire…)) That sounded so wrong to her. She certainly didn’t act like a queen. She lived in a small apartment with no vehicle and snacked on rats and meat from the local butchers. Plus she stayed away from people, mostly, only going out into the world to get food and chat with Willow. That’s why she had been at the Magic Box, to see Willow and act like a normal teenage girl.

She admired how much the world had changed within the last hundred years. Once upon a time girls were shy and would die of embarrassment if they shown a bit of leg. Now, it’s embarrassing to not show some leg and it seemed as if the roles of men and women had been swapped.

Anyways, she hurried down the stairs and looked around the room. She tried to remember if she needed any things for the house. She decided on a package of special weeds that made the blood taste much better. She walked to the back and opened the manhole that was there. Buffy had no clue why there would be a manhole in the building, but she didn’t argue. She had no problem with it. She jumped down into the sewer and cursed when she realized that it was filled higher than normal. Her pants were ruined.

She continued on and in record time she got home. She crawled up the basement stairs of the building and ignored the passing people‘s look of disgust at her stained and stinky clothes. Buffy didn’t care, it’s not like they knew her. She’s never even spoke to any of them. The only one she ever spoke to was the one she hated the most. A blonde chick named Donna and her brunette friend lived right above her. Donna acted like a slut and was never by herself at night. She had kept Buffy awake all nights at times, and even Buffy’s soul didn’t care about the dumb bitch.

Buffy pulled her loner key out of her pants pocket and stuck it into the lock of her door. She turned it until she heard a click and then opened it. She dropped her coat carelessly on the floor and walked over to the beeping answering machine. She pushed play and the blinking number one stopped.

“Hello, Ms. Summers. It’s Dan Ravalli. I wanted to remind you that your month’s pay is two days overdue. I would like it if you called me at -” Buffy stopped the message from continuing with the push of a button and walked to her bathroom. As she pulled off her shirt she turned on the water of the tub. She peeled her pants off and threw them into the small garbage can, she wasn’t even going to attempt to save them.

She leaned foreword and turned off the water. She pulled off her underclothes and stepped into the inviting water. She closed her eyes and took a deep un-needed breath. She did this from time-to-time. It made her feel more human, we’ll as close to human as a vampire could get. She was happy… for a little while.

She looked up at the ceiling and stared at a small tan stain. Ever since she had been living here the stains been there, so it was probably longer than five years since she had lived there for five years.

((I need to leave soon. I have lived here and, I’m sure, that everyone’s noticed that I haven’t aged at all. They’re going to suspect. I have to leave… I want to be secluded… A nice, quiet place where I don’t have to worry about anything. I’ll talk to Mr. Ravalli in the morning. Right now I’m busy.))

Buffy closed her eyes and welcomed sweet slumber.


Meanwhile:

Spike slammed on the gas and laughed as the ‘Welcome to Sunnydale sign fell to the ground. It was a tradition. When he got to a new town, he knocked down the sign. He had done this countless of times, though this time it was different…His stay in the town wasn’t like the other several towns…

In this town, he planned on bagging his third slayer.


Flashback:

Darla pushed past all of the brute men who were trying to stop and hit on her. A brunette one stepped between her and the boat that she had seen Elizabeth go in.

“Hello, Miss.” The man said. Darla didn’t say anything, only grab him by the collar and lift him a foot off the ground. She let her demon show and then she threw the man towards the ocean. He landed right by the edge of the dock, and when he stood up dizziness caused him to fall over. She turned towards all the gawking men and flashed her demon at them.

“Get back to work.” She said as the brunette man crawled out of the water from the beach. The men nodded and then continued on with what they had been doing. Though none forgot about how she had beaten their largest colleague. She walked onto the boat and followed the lavender aroma. She walked down the steps and stopped when she reached a door. She slowly opened it and her brown eyes met the green.

“Hello Queenie.” Darla said. Buffy gasped and crawled backwards, trying to escape the evil woman who frightened her more than the raven-haired one.

“Please don’t hurt me… I’m so confused.” Buffy plead.

“Oh, I wasn’t going to hurt. I just wanted to bit you. It wont hurt at all.”

“First… What am I?” Buffy asked. Darla motioned her up and Buffy reluctantly got to her feet. Darla put her arm around Buffy’s shoulder and started to talk.

“You’re a vampire.” Darla said. She expected Buffy to gasp, but when she didn’t Darla looked at her.

“I figured that when I killed the nice man.” Buffy said, “But… I heard Drusilla say something about me being a queen.”

Darla nodded and led Buffy up the stairs. Buffy stopped walking and pulled out of Darla’s grasp. Darla turned to her angrily, but she quickly put on a happy façade and smiled widely.

“You are. You’re a queen for all the vampires.” Darla’s hand flew out to the back of Buffy’s neck and rubbed against the teardrop mark. Buffy closed her eyes remembering the strange birthmark that made her extra special to her mother. Buffy had been born the same day that Joyce’s mother had died. Joyce saw the mark as a symbol of her tears that were shed and that her mother was okay. Buffy never understood why.

“You have the mark.” Darla explained. She pulled her hand away from Buffy and started to walk up the stairs. Buffy followed and Darla continued, “Drusilla was your sire, therefore had control over everything that you have control over, except she also controls you. I killed her, as you saw in the alley, and that means I take her place as Queen’s Sire. But it’s not complete, yet.”

“It’s not? You killed Drusilla…” Buffy said trying to understand. She felt the ground move and she knew the boat was moving.

“There’s another part. I need to take some of your blood. It’ll only hurt a little.” Darla said. She walked to the edge of the boat and watched as men walked by with large crates. They kept a distance from the blonde warrior.

“Take my blood…” Buffy stuttered. She was scared, she didn’t trust this women one bit. What is she took all of her blood and Buffy died. Buffy unconsciously put her hand onto the scabbed over bit marks on her neck.

“It’ll only be a few sips.” Darla said. Buffy nodded and Darla leaned forward to take a bite. With all the strength she could muster Buffy pushed the vamped out blonde off the ship. Seconds later her eyes met with Darla’s angry ones. Buffy smiled shyly and turned down steps till she reached her original hiding spot. Once again she sat back down, feeling completely safe and filled with hope.

(2006, Sunnydale)

Spike walked out of the bar with his arm around the blonde girl’s shoulders. She smelled strongly of Alcohol and was ‘pissed drunk’. Spike liked women like that. He watched her as she fumbled with her keys, then dropped them on the floor clumsily. When she picked them up Spike pulled her away.

“Where are we going?” She hiccupped.

“We’ll just take my car.” Spike whispered into her ear. She giggled insanely and Spike pulled her to his car. He opened the passenger door and she stepped in. Spike walked around the car and got in on his side. He started up the engine and pulled out of the lot, “Which way to your house, pet?” Spike didn’t even attempt to remember what her name was.


Spike wanted to get some action tonight, he didn’t think he’s ever been so sexually frustrated before in his un-life. He wasn’t counting his pre-vampire life because he was so sexually frustrated then that Carrot Top wasn’t anything compared to William Pratt. She pointed in the direction and after a while of driving and turning wrong turns he got to a shabby looking apartment complex. She grabbed his wrist and tugged a little.

“You have to come in and meet my friend.” The girl said. Spike had been planning on going in anyways, and what she had said did count as an invite. Spike nodded and pulled the car into a parking spot. He and the girl walked onto the elevator along with a tall, ogre-like man. Spike wanted to make the mad cry, but this wasn’t the right time to have violent fun. Right now was the sexual fun… then food fun. The man got off one floor under the one that the girl lived on. And when the men got off, the floor smelled like something from a long time ago. Spike couldn’t place it and he knew that he would be thinking about this for a while. The elevator dinged and the girl pulled Spike out of it. She pulled him to a door and knocked. The door was opened a second later by a thin brunette in pajamas and a quart of ice cream in her hand.

“Hey, Donna.” She said, she smiled softly. Donna… Spike said, now remembering her name.

“Hey, this is Spike.” Donna said. Spike wiggled his eyebrows at her suggestively and she giggled, “Were just going to go to my room.”

“Go ahead. I’m just watching some John Wayne, you two can go on and … do your thing.” She smiled softly. She shut the door behind her and fell back onto the couch. She seemed nice, Spike decided that she wouldn’t suffer death tonight. Spike looked at her and then turned back when Donna pulled him into a bright pink room. It was much more high maintenance than the living room, and Spike had to stop himself from humming the Pepto Bismol song.

“I’m not fucking you in a pink room.” Spike said bluntly.

“Oh… um ok. We can…” She said thinking of a solution. He had caught her off guard with his comment. She smiled widely and grabbed his wrist once more, “We’ll use Sarah’s room instead. Donna said. She pulled Spike into another room without even asking her friend if it was okay. When Spike got into the room, he was amazed that someone as stupid as Donna would hang out with someone like this. She had books all over bookshelves in the room. There was no speck of pink in the room… or purple. The room was more focused on soft earth colors. Donna crawled onto the bed while pulling off some of her clothes. Spike followed her lead and joined her on the bed.

Meanwhile:

Buffy was awoken by loud moaning noises above her. Whoever Donna was with right now my be good because between the sounds of the bed hitting the wall and the screams of ecstasy were nothing compared to what she had heard other nights before. She rolled her eyes and grabbed the broom that she kept by her bed for times like these. She slammed the stick up onto her ceiling and shouted out.

“God damnit, cant you keep your skirt down for one night. I actually want to get some sleep tonight without having to resort to earplugs to drown out your screams.” Buffy said. They did stop and for that, Buffy was grateful.

Meanwhile:

Spike was pounding into her hard and could tell she was close, he was too. But then he was interrupted to a loud noise of something hitting the floor beneath him.

“Uhh, it’s that freak Buffy from downstairs. She always has to ruin my fun.” Donna said as she rolled her eyes. They stopped moving against each other to listen to the girl below.

“God damnit, cant you keep your skirt down for one night. I actually want to get some sleep tonight without having to resort to earplugs to drown out your screams.” The girl screamed. Spike had to stop from laughing at Donna’s face.

((The freak just called me a slut.))

Donna started to move again, but Spike had gotten bored. He changed his face and let Donna see him demon. She screamed at the top of her lungs and Spike lurched forward and pierced her neck. She was dead in minutes.

Meanwhile:

When she heard Donna scream the last time she had had enough. She had marched down the hallway and pushed the button to go to level one. The door opened and she joined a bleached blond man in the elevator.


Meanwhile:

Spike watched as a small blonde girl walked onto the elevator. He could tell that the girl in the Yummy Sushi pajamas was a vampire. Spike was good at that. He couldn’t see her well because her hair was hiding her face. She was mumbling to herself, though.

“Stupid blondes…I’m going to kill her, I swear… thinks she can keep me up all night with the moaning and groaning and … noisemaking. Evil butt…” She whispered. Spike couldn’t help but comment.

“Are you the girl that yelled that the bint was a slut?” Spike asked. Buffy recognized the accent, but she didn’t know where. She also recognized the special word he used. ‘bint’. Not many people said it nowadays, and it was rare to find someone that could pull it off correctly.

“Yes.” Buffy answered.

“Oh…” Spike said.

“Are you the one that she’s with?” Buffy asked. The elevator opened and they both stepped off.

“We had sex… That’s all.” Spike said.

“Hope you don’t have any diseases now.” Buffy said as she turned into a small building called office. Spike continued walking, trying to figure out where he had known the girl from.