Author's Chapter Notes:
(()) is thoughts.
Chapter 6:

(Sunnydale 2006)

Spike had driven a mile away when it hit him. ((It’s Elizabeth))He immediately did a U-Turn and drove back to the apartment. He didn’t know what he was going to say or do… he was just going to wing it. After all her was good at that. That’s exactly what he did 143 years ago when he had found her. She looked so different now. She was much more outspoken and definitely not as emotionally frail. He didn’t know what he was going to say. The las time he had seen Elizabeth was when she had escaped Drusilla’s wrath. Spike stopped in front of the office where he had parked earlier. He looked thought a dark window that was impossible to see through… with human eyes. But he could see the thin blonder clearly with his vampire eyesight. She was yelling at a man behind the counter. He looked annoyed and Elizabeth looked even angrier than she did earlier. Elizabeth put her hands on her hips and marched out of the office. Spike hurried out of the car and stopped her. Buffy tensed up when she felt a vampires presence behind her.

“Please don’t try to fight me because I’m really not in the mood. But if you must insist then I’ll play along. Though, I am warning you I’m much older and stronger than I look.” Buffy turned around to him and back up when she realized it was the guy from the elevator. This time, though, she actually looked at him. He had striking blue eyes and sharp cheekbones. Buffy’s eyes widened when she recognized him.

“William.” She whispered. She backed up and frowned. She could handle anything, but this - she couldn’t. She never thought she’d be able to look at the man who had brought her into this undead hell. All her unlife had seemed damned since he had stolen her from her safe, short mortal life. She’d never thought that she’d see the day.

“Elizabeth.” Spike said breathlessly, she was just as beautiful as she had been many years ago, maybe a little too skinny now, but that could be fixed. She shook her head, not believing this was happening. She turned and ran to the closest escape: the stairs. She didn’t care that the elevator was only a few meters away; all she cared about was getting away. She didn’t trust him around her, and she didn’t trust herself. Within seconded Spike got onto the elevator and got onto the second floor. He followed her scent of lavender to a room labeled 104. Spike could tell by the faint smell that was hadn’t gotten to her room yet. Spike backed up against the door and lit a cigarette. Within only a few seconds her tired body reached his.

“Why can’t you just leave me alone.” She whispered. She looked down and tears glistened in her eyes. She pushed them back and looked up at Spike. She walked past him and opened the door with her key. Buffy walked in and left Spike out of the apartment.

“Ain’t gonna invite nice bloke into you cozy home, ey?” Spike asked. Buffy looked at him over her shoulder and she sat on her couch.

“I’m a vampire, you don’t need my invite to come into my home and annoy me.” She said. Spike nodded, he knew this. He just wanted to be a gentleman. He stepped into the threshold, and shoved the hand with out the cigarette into his pocket.

“How’ve ya been, Pet?” Spike asked, breaking the awkward silence. He decided to sit on the couch end opposite of her. When he got onto the couch, her tensing up didn’t go unnoticed by him. She didn’t speak, though, for what seemed life minutes.

“Dead.” She said after a moments thought. Spike looked at her and simply nodded, that was the answer he’d expected from her.

“Y’no, almost regret taking you. T’was never the same after.” They looked at each other, only Spike spoke, “I never saw Drusilla and Darla after the night you were reborn. It was just me and Angelus. We had just figured that Drusilla had killed Darla when Darla went to kill you-” Spike said when Buffy cut him off.

“Darla wasn’t trying to kill me.” Buffy said. Spike looked at Buffy confused about what she had said, ”She was there to take Drusilla’s place as Queens Sire.”

“Darla lied?” Spike asked, Buffy nodded, “So it was her that killed Dru?”

“Yeah.” Buffy said, “I ran onto a boat that was coming to America after. She followed and I pushed her off. I didn’t kill her, though. I’ve never killed before… Only once, actually.”

“Angelus went crazy when she disappeared, is she dead?” Spike asked, Buffy shrugged, “Listen, Elizabeth; I-”

“Don’t call me Elizabeth. I don’t know that girl anymore. She died the day you decided it was okay to hurt the innocent maiden in the red dress. I’m Buffy now, William.”

“Then don’t call me William, Buffy.” Spike said saying Buffy’s name like a disease, “I’m Spike.”

“Whatever, can you just leave me be, I have things to do.” She said. Spike looked down at her appearance and smiled.

“What sleep? You do know that you don’t need to sleep during the night, you’re a vampire, creature of the night - or have you forgotten?” Spike argue, stressing the ‘of’

“Can you just leave me alone.” She asked angrily. She stood up off of the couch and glared daggers at him. She took in a deep, shaky breath and crossed her arms.

“And your breathing, too! Some vampire you are.” Spike said. He got off the couch also and matched her evil look. After a second of thinking to herself she sat down on the couch, exhausted.

“It makes me feel human.” Buffy said quietly. So quiet that Spike couldn’t even hear her. Spike sat back on the couch. He didn’t know what to say to that. He had to be careful what he said to her. Even he knew that ensouled vampires had it harder than the ones lacking them.

“Tell me about what happened after you left. How’d you get this life.” Spike asked, eager to hear a good story.

“Actually, Spike, I need to get some sleep. I have an important day tomorrow, or…” She looked at a clock on the far wall, “… Rather in a few hours.” She pointed towards the door as she stood up, but Spike didn’t take the hint.

“Kay, I’ll just sleep on the settee.” Spike said, he spread his legs out in front of him and leaned back on the arm of the couch. So much for being a gentleman. Buffy’s jaw dropped. She was too tired to argue, she just walked busily around the room and grabbed a few items: a small box that was underneath the entertainment center, a bottle of French wine, and a golden necklace off of a corner table. She gave Spike one more look as she slipped into the confines of her room.

Spike smirked when he heard the lock on her bedroom door lock shut. When he heard a bed creak in the room he got off the couch to explore her house. It wasn’t too shabby, but it wasn’t posh either. The living room and the kitchen were connected with just a small bar separating them: one lonely stool stood by the counter. Spike didn’t know why, but it made him happy to see that she wasn’t with anyone. It was a small apartment. Maybe four rooms; bedroom, living room, kitchen, and bathroom. He started to walk around and quietly cursed when his foot collided with the corner of the couch, creating a loud thump that he was sure she could her. He swallowed the pain and continued with his exploration. Spike opened what he thought was the bathroom door and looked around, he wasn’t surprised. It had the main things in it; toilet, sink, tub. He opened the medicine cabinet and looked around; Tylenol, tampons, lip stick, red nail polish, ear cleaners. Spike shook his head and closed it. It was then that he realized that there was black marker all over the mirror. Instead of sight behind you, it looked like a door to a dark abyss. A confused Spike kneeled on the ground and looked under the sink. In the small cupboard was some green towels and a robe. Spike stood back up and kicked the door shut. Something in the garbage can caught his eyes. There was a pair of tan pants with a stain on the bottom. Spike knew those stains all to well.

((So she’s been in the sewers recently…))

He walked back into the living room and turned into the kitchen. First thing he did was open the fridge. He wasn’t expecting what he saw. The shelves were lined with milk, juice, bread, eggs, candy, jelly, and fruit. Spike tilted his head to the side, wondering why she had all this food even though vampires don’t eat. He grabbed the milk and realized that it wasn’t open. He looked at the expiration date it said it on the 14th, which was in a week. Spike put the milk back and shut the fridge. He looked around the kitchen for anything else unusual, but nothing caught his eye. He stepped back into the bland living room. His eyes stopped on the cabinet underneath the TV. He kneeled down and opened it. The only thing in it was a large photo album. Spike pulled it out and sat back onto the couch. The album looked pretty old, probably dating back to the fifties, but despite the age it was in mint condition. The first pictures in it were black and white. They were falling apart and looked even older than the book. It was of Buffy and other people he didn’t recognize. They were in everyday places too, some were in stores, outside in the snow, at the park. They went on like this. Slowly the pictures began to look more recent. Most of them were at beaches of families and women. Spike’s eyes stopped at the last picture. It was of a thin girl in a green bikini. A picture of Buffy’s head was placed over the bikini clad girl’s head. Spike pulled the picture out of the protective album sheet and realized that it wasn’t a picture. The sunbathing girl picture was from a magazine with a perfume ad on the back. Spike put the album back in the cabinet and shut the door. He returned onto the couch and laid down. He wasn’t at all tired, but the boredom caused him to doze off.

Meanwhile:

Not much long after she had locked the door she heard him move around the living room, his Doc Martins making a loud thump every time it hit the floor. She shook her head, too tired to fight. She set her stuff on the ground and crawled into bed. She didn’t know why, but she felt she could trust the new William… She flinched when she heard a loud thud and an array of curses… never mind, only a smidgen of trust.