Author's Chapter Notes:
The last year has been incredibly hard for me. Last spring I learned some bad news about my health that threw me for a loop, making me completely unable to write anything at all. Not Spuffy, and not my original work. Them I changed job, which meant a complete change of schedule, going from evenings to days. I still haven't recovered from it If that wasn’t enough, I lost my grandmother this fall and it was crippling. She was the strong one, the funny one, the brightest soul of all in the most tiny package possible. I haven’t lost interest in either reading or writing fanfiction, but I've been unable to focus on anything. My deepest apologies for those who were waiting for an update. This fic is complete and there is a sequel in the works. However, due to the ongoing drama that is my life, I can't promise an update any time soon. As usual, please don't sue.
Spike ran so fast that by the time he made it back to the crypt he wasn’t sure how he would manage to stop. The scene that welcomed him however stopped him dead in his tracks.



Buffy sat on Spike’s sofa, curled up in one of his blankets. She faced a television that was dark, and she seemed to be completely immobile.



Spike stood there, with the ladder just behind him, trying to decide what he should do when she spoke.



“Spike.” It was only one word but it managed to reassure Spike that Buffy kept some of who she was. She knew who he was. So, she wasn’t a mindless slayer or a stupid fledge. The fact that she was so still came as both a reassurance and a factor of terror. A fledge should not be able to be so still. The bloodlust should make her a raging animal, her only goal to feed. This current stillness was one that was previously unknown for Buffy. The fact that she was sitting there, her heartbeat calm and steady, and her breaths even was worrying. Wait, heartbeat? And she is breathing naturally…



Spike’s thoughts were broken by Buffy’s voice. “Come on Spike, I know you’re there.” Cautiously he took a few steps forward, and with a deep breath he walked around the couch to face her. His gasp of surprise had her looking up to him.



They looked at each other for several long minutes before Spike crouched in front of Buffy. He reached a hand and cupped her face. He felt her stiffen but when she didn’t say anything, he allowed his fingers to trace her features. He finally looked into her eyes and let out a breath

“Luv, your eyes, they’re gorgeous.” He said, awed.

“What happened Spike? Everything is different. I… I have a heartbeat, and a reflection. I thought you turned me.” Her voice was very quiet.

“I did luv but I was talking with the watcher and apparently turnings don’t go well with slayers. You’re not a vamp, you’re….something else. But your face, and your eyes. Is there anything else?”

She nodded shyly, a bit scared to share everything with him. Strangely enough, she never questioned why it seemed so natural to be talking like this with him.

“Everything is sharper, my smell, my slayer sense. My vision. You look different.”

“Different? How?” he asked, unconsciously drawing her in his arms.

“There’s this silver glow to everything. And you, you shine Spike. And you’re sending my tinglies into hyperdrive.”

“Might be your version of the demon. Way I figure it, you’re not a vamp because you’re some kind of UberSlayer luv. I don’t know Slayer, I’ve never seen anything like this. But the Watcher will find the answers, don’t you worry.”

They stay quiet for a while, simply holding each other, the position completely natural for the both of them. When Buffy looked up again, there was fear in her eyes.

“What will I do Spike? Am I dangerous? Can I go out in the sun? Will I want to snack on my friends?” Tears started falling down her face and with a gentle laugh, Spike brushed them off.

“You’ll be alright Slayer. Spike’s here, I’ll take care of you. Mum, and the Nibblet and your watcher, they already know what happened. Everything will be alright, I promise.”

“You told them? What did they say?” She was starting to panic and Spike rushed to reassure her.

“Nibblet’s a bit angry, but it’s me she’s pissed at, not you, as for your mum and Rupes, they’re not exactly happy with me, but they still love you. When I left, they were cracking the books open.” The pair stayed silent for several minutes before Buffy spoke again, her voice low in the still crypt.

“I’m so lost. Everything went to hell last night and nothing is right anymore.”

“I’m sorry. I wish I could have gotten there sooner.” He answered, cursing himself.

“I called for you.” The softly spoken words had him reeling.

“What? What do you mean?”

“When I realized….I couldn’t move, couldn’t speak, but I was calling for you. I knew you could have stopped them. I don’t know why but I knew it. I was coming to see you.” She said, the switch in subjects confusing Spike.

“Wait…say that again?”

“Yesterday, I was coming to see you. I was bored and I needed something to cheer me up. I was on my way here.”

“You were?” He asked, befuddled.

“I wanted a good shouting match.” He had to laugh at that. These days, it was the only kind of fighting they did. Except the side by side, us against them kind. He truly liked fighting with her, either by her side or against her. She was a sight to behold, that was for sure.



Spike was about to respond when they felt the human coming toward the crypt. Both bodies stiffen, ready to fight. Spike knew he didn’t have a chance against a human, the sodding chip made sure of that, but until he knew what was going on with Buffy, he would stay alert at all times. He would make sure nothing else happened to her.

They got the smell instants before the timid knock on the door and they both relaxed when they recognized Giles.

They looked at each other and when Buffy nodded, Spike called out

“Come on in Watcher!”

The door opened, Giles carefully putting himself between the harmful rays of the sun that shone outside and the occupants of the crypt. Until he knew exactly what was happening to his slayer, he wasn’t taking any chances.

A bit uneasy, Giles looked up at Buffy and hesitantly took a step forward.

Slayer and Watcher looked at each other for several long seconds before Buffy broke the silence.

“Hi Giles.” Releasing the air that he had unconsciously been holding, Giles stepped further into the crypt and, his voice unsteady asked

“How are you Buffy?”

Spike’s snort was echoed by Buffy’s chuckle.

“Well, I should be dead but I’m not, I have no fricking idea what is happening to me and my watcher is scared of me. How should I feel?” her dry tone and raised eyebrow had Giles further relaxing. It sounded like Buffy, not like a mindless vamp, maybe things would be alright after all. However, the tension returned with a vengeance once he got a good look at her new appearance. His shoulders stiffened and his handkerchief got out of his pockets as he cleaned his glasses. The classic Giles’ move had Buffy snorting.