Author's Chapter Notes:
More fighting. More demons. More rain. Sorry for the delay between posts, please review.
Laurie

Who knew taking down a 100 foot tall giant was gonna be so simple? A few well placed arrows and fireballs, and the thing crashed backwards to the ground, taking the demons it landed on with it. Easy peasey.

Things got harder, after that. I've been running around, making all the dents I can in the demons, being a general distraction, but they just keep on coming. The bodies pile up around the front line, between Wes and Penny's magicks, and everyone else's weapons. I take a break from fighting every once in a while, to pull the corpses out of the way; not out of respect for the dead, but because the enemy's lack of respect is really nauseating. If I think too hard about the way they're just walking over the giant’s body to get to us, I'm gonna freak.

I saw Charles Gunn haul Mom inside a little while ago; I'd worry, except I know how she gets. She'd fight until she keeled over in a dead faint. Merry must have told him to force her to catch a rest.

The demons seem to be hanging back for now, rather than breaking through the front line like they have been. Looks like they're getting organized. They must be, because suddenly I'm face to face with a Polgara demon who looks like he wants me dead. Not that that's such a shock. We fight, my short swords against his claws, and I can't seem to get the advantage. When it tries to shoot me with its poisoned darts, I use the sword hilts to deflect them, and manage to lop off one of the hands above where the darts lodge. One down…

The fight continues for almost 10 minutes, before I finally get a clear shot and sever the demon's neck. I hate the noise a head makes when it hits the ground. Why can't they all dust, like vampires?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spike

Sure enough, the damn bloody stupid demons have been taking chunks outta my new duster all night; good thing I have more, or I'd be hella pissed. Man, I need to stop hanging out with so many Americans.

The lizard-like demon I'm fighting keeps trying to wrap it's tail around my feet, since its fangs are about the first thing I've come up against tonight that won't go through the leather. Fuckin' annoying, it is, having to play jump the tail while I'm trying to kill it. My aim's goin' all to hell, what with the jumping and dodging, and not being able to keep my balance. This shouldn't be taking so long, I'm startin' to worry about what's gettin' past me.

'Twas easier with Merry watchin' my back; the girl's damn good at distracting things. Either that, or I'm getting' tired. Possibly it's a little a both. But, as soon as she saw that sword hit Jezebel, she was fightin' her way over there to make the girl go get patched up. Shoulda figured Jezzie for one that wouldn't stop once she was injured; Faith and Buffy are the same bloody way.

Finally I catch a lucky break; the demon lunges at me, swinging its tail at the same time, and overbalances; I slice it across the neck as it stumbles, and it goes toppling to the ground. Right then. Hate to leave the birds and Gunn on their own, but I’ve gotta get some blood in me, or I’ll be a sitting duck.

Turning to Illyria, I shout a warning as I fall back. “Hey, Blue; gonna go eat, hold the line for a bit?” Don’t know why I’m asking, except that she and I have come to something like an understanding of late; I respect her, she doesn’t pound me into the ground and refer to me as her ‘pet’.

Over the rain and the howling demons, Illyria calls back, “You need to feed. Do not concern yourself with the Sineyan females, I will keep them alive.”

Well, that’s about the best thing I’ve heard all night, so I weave my way through the demon corpses and head back to the Hyperion. Just past the chain link fence, Angel and a little girl Slayer are fighting off a smaller group of demons who came through the space between two buildings; probably trying to get us from behind. I jump into the fight, and manage to kill a few before the other two have all the fun, and there’s a break in the assault.

“I left Illyria in charge of the front line.” I tell Angel. If he’s gonna be the general, he needs to know what’s going on. Poof. “I’m gonna go catch some kip, some blood.”

“Angel, I need to get back on the other side of the fence. Now.” The girl pipes up, which makes me notice her.

When I focus on her, something strange happens. I almost get a sense of Dru; a feeling that reminds me of her. “You a seer?” I ask, almost without thinking. It’s the only explanation I can come up with for why this girl feels like Dru while the one that looks like her doesn’t.

She smiles wider than I’ve seen anyone smile in a long time. “Yup. I’m Elise.”

“Spike.” I wink at her. Cute little baggage. “You’re doin’ good, kid. Keep your head on, you’ll be fine.” Which is likely a damn foolish comment, if she knows how the whole thing’s gonna play out.

I nod at her and Angel, and head towards the Hyperion. I’ve never been inside, and I’m floored by the scale of the place. Space like this, we coulda fit the whole Sunnydale crew, including all the mini-Slayers, then and now, and no one would have to share a bathroom. There isn’t anyone about, but the smell of blood, both animal and Slayer, is heavy in the air. I follow the scent of animal blood to the kitchen, get myself a cuppa, then head up to check on the injured Slayer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penny

I don’t remember the last time I was this tired. Magicks can take a lot out of you physically; after Willow borrowed my power earlier I felt like I was high, but the endorphins have faded into exhaustion. It’s a damn good thing there’s a railing to hold me up, because spots are forming behind my eyes. When the hell are they gonna stop charging? Better yet, when is the sun coming up? At least then the vampires will be out of the equation. Ours will be, too; but I think we could make it without them for a few hours. I hope.

I take a minute, and sit down on the stairs to look at my watch. What the Hell; it’s 7:00 in the morning! The sun should be rising, already. Just in case I missed it, seeing as I’ve been concentrating so hard on the magicks, I take a look up at the sky. Nope; still no sun. The clouds would cover sunlight to some extent, but I’ve never seen rain clouds make the day as dark as night.

Suddenly, I’m feeling a whole lot worse about this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorne

The beauteous Jezebel is awake again, and Doctor Ron managed to stop the bleeding and stitch her up, but she’s in no condition to be out in that horrific rain storm fighting demons. Of course, you try telling her that.

“My daughta’s out there; for fuck’s sake, wudja please just let me go? I sweah, I’m fine.” She’s fit to spit, her smooth cultured accent giving way to one that reveals her birthplace. Doc’s not having it, though, that’s for sure.

“Jezebel; you need to worry less about what’s going on out there, and more about just relaxing for a minute, and letting that gash heal.” Poor Ronald looks like he’s gonna start screaming, so I step in.

“Listen, sweet cheeks; you’re not gonna do anyone any good with your guts hanging out. Just relax, lay back, and worry about the things you can control. For example, not giving Doctor Ron here any reason to pull out what little hair he has left.” That gets me a little smile, but no laugh. Geez, tough room. Then again, if I had all those stitches in my side, I wouldn’t be laughing, either.

She does lay back on the bed, finally, and Ron goes to get her a pain killer, although I don’t know how he thinks he’s going to get it into her. That man has some kind of narcotics connections; he managed to amass a frightening amount of pills and liquids in the short time he had this afternoon.

While I stand between the world’s worst patient and the door, hoping she doesn’t make a break for it, Spike wanders in with a big mug of blood, his duster torn and bloody in more than a couple of places, still dripping rain water. No point in saying anything, the carpet’s on its last legs.

“So, Mr. Greenjeans, how’s tricks?” He arches an eyebrow at me and takes a swig of blood.

I think about it for a minute before I respond. I’ve lost yet another paying gig because of Angel, I’m surrounded by girls I barely know who are fighting like Valkeries to protect me and the rest of the world, Fred’s dead, Willow tree is down for the count, and at some point earlier tonight my memories re-scrambled themselves so that big chunks of the last two years are different. How am I, really?

“Tired, although I’ll bet you could give me a run for my money in that department, am I right?” I give him the best cocky smile I can muster. No sense bringing down the mood; I’m always willing to see the brighter side.

Spikey just kind of nods, his mouth full of blood again, and wanders farther into the room to get a better look at Jezzie. “What about you, puss? Your insides back where they belong, now?”

She shakes her head at him, like he’s the world’s biggest idiot. “Of course I’m fuckin’ fine, don’t know why yer all so riled up, it was just a flesh wound, and…”

Spike chokes on his blood, and I get a disturbing mental picture of it squirting out his nose when he laughs. Jezebel rolls her eyes. "Oh, gosh Mr. Vampire, aren't you clever; you're British and you watch Monty Python, who'd have ever guessed?" Heck, is she sarcastic, or what? Reminds me of our little Cordy.

He calms almost instantly as she takes her shot at him, and glares fiercely. "Well, I see your mouth is in working order, though your brain seems a bit on the dodgy side. I'm gonna go, you obviously need a bit o' kip."

He turns to make his melodramatic exit with a flare of his battered coat, and Jezebel stops him with a cry of "William!", attempting to struggle out of the bed. We both rush over to push her back down, though Mr. Super-Speed beats me there.

"Awright, belt-up." Spike mutters, easing her back against the pillows.

"William, you gotta make them let me out, my baby girl is down there! I can't let her fight without me, please, you just gotta talk some sense into these guys." Her big brown eyes are wide and pleading, and I can tell he's caved before she's even stopped talking.

"Stop it, you dozy chit. Bin the hysterics now, and be a good Slayer." Spike pats her shoulder. "See here, then. You just relax, and I'll go check on your bit, yeah?"

She looks at him like that's the worst idea she's heard in days, but then Ron comes back with a big ol' needle full of whatever, and she must know when she's been beat, because Jezzie finally relaxes back into the mattress and stops fighting. "Right. You go look after her for me, wudja? Make sure Laurie comes back to me alive. I'll just wait here for a sec."

As soon as the drugs take effect, she's down for the count, and Spike is trying to sneak back outside. Ron must not have figured out he's a vamp, because the Doc bullies His Snarky-ness into getting stitched up. And to my surprise, Spike lets him sew shut a few of the bigger cuts, before he takes off out into the rain.

Ronald and I are left standing in the 'hospital' room for a few minutes, Willow and Jezebel sleeping peacefully in the beds behind us. When I shake myself out of my thoughts enough to participate in a real conversation, I turn towards Ron, who is looking down at his hands and frowning.

"What's up, Doc?" Okay, so it loses points for originality, but gets high marks for comfort and familiarity, which we all need right about now.

Ron looks up, blinking like he's never seen me before. "That was a vampire." He looks angry with himself, but I don't know why he would be.

"Yeah, that was one of our fearsome twosome. Spike, or William, but no one actually calls him that." Ron blinks at me again, like he has no clue what I'm talking about. Then again, perhaps he doesn't. "Hey, Doc, how's about you have a seat, and I'll tell you a little story about how we all ended up here?" If nothing else, telling stories will kill some time until the next person gets injured.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Angel

The sun hasn't come up yet. That would worry me, except that I'm obviously needed out here, and I'm glad I don't have to go hide out while the Slayers fight. Elise stuck close to me while I fought my way back towards the front line, then disappeared for a while, only to reappear at my back just in time to stop a demon from taking my head off. She's not Buffy or Faith by a long shot, but she's a good little fighter.

I don't know where Spike or that tall black-haired girl went, but Gunn's taken a spot in the second line, while the front is covered mainly by Illyria and two short little Slayers. I wish I knew the girls' names, it would make life easier. The Slayers move to cover one another when Elise and I come up even with them, and then it's just fighting, trying to hold the line against a tide of demons that never seems to thin out or get tired.

I'm fighting a Thessulak when Spike reappears, looking very much worse for wear. Good thing he has ten of those coats, it looks like another one will be destroyed by the end of tonight. Assuming tonight ends. Who knows what the actual time is, but it's gotta be early morning by now.

The demon won't go down easy, and I have to keep circling, trying to get the advantage by moving more quickly than it can. I've lost a big chunk of skin from my left arm before I get the upper hand. Good thing it's not my sword arm. Before I can check how bad the injury is, Elise hurls a demon towards me, and I have just seconds to duck out of the way so it doesn't land on me.

"What are you waiting for, kill it!" She yells, already turning to face another opponent. I lop off its head and get over there to back her up, and nearly don't make it. The demon she's fighting now has four arms, and as she holds two of them off, a third is moving toward her belly with a huge knife.

I dive for the arm, getting a deep cut on my jaw for my trouble, but I pull the knife arm off the demon before it can gut the littlest Slayer. As the demon stumbles back, Elise goes in for the kill, and I haul myself back to my feet. These clothes are going in the incinerator after this; I don't want to think about what I just landed in a puddle of.

She smiles at me once the demon hits the ground. "Thanks!"

I smile back, and I want to say something about what a great job she's doing, but before I can catch enough breath to talk, we get charged again, and then there's just the fighting.

It's almost Zen; focusing on form, on throwing your senses out to feel where the threats are coming from, responding effortlessly to a threat. I lose any concept of the passage of time, everything in me is concentrated on fighting. One opponent after another goes down under our swords and axes. Those magickal fireballs from the fire escape above have slowed down, but demons are still being taken out at a steady rate by arrows, thinning the herd for us.

I can feel the Slayers, and Spike and Illyria around me, as well as the group on the fire escape, but I can't spare the focus to check on them, now. I'm in a quiet place, just me and my sword, and whoever I'm cutting to pieces at the moment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wesley

It seems like it's been hours since Penny discovered that the sun did not rise, and nearly a year since Connor appeared on the fire escape with us. That's probably the fatigue talking, but by now I'm past tired, past numb. I can't stop working, can't stop fighting; my movements have become mechanical, reflexive. It's a better thing for all of us that I'm up here, because if I was down there wielding an axe I'd be dead by now, and we're at far too great a disadvantage already.

Our doctor stuck his head out of the Hyperion again a little while ago, and shot several demons to death with some sort of rifle. Spike reappeared after a sizeable absence, I saw him running to help Gunn with a demon, then I lost sight of him again. Jezebel has still not come back, which frightens me dreadfully.

Still, I can't respond to any of these developments; casting the fireball spells over and over is sapping my strength. I have no energy to waste in processing the actions of others, or any information other than the rote casting. I fear losing my concentration, and giving the enemy an advantage. So I continue what I am doing, and the rest of the world passes me by in a whirl of rainwater and a bone-rattling din of noises.

Penny tries to stop me several times, but I can't focus enough attention on her to listen. I'm having a hard enough time focusing on what I'm doing now; if I divide my attention, I can't help but feel that there will be dire consequences.

This truly can't go on much longer. It feels like we've been fighting for days, and even though I am not down in the alley fighting hand to hand, I have expended a large amount of energy in the casting of spells. Not to mention the energy I lent to Willow in helping to dispose of Vail and undo his nefarious works. No, this can't go on much longer, or we'll be beaten…

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Penny

Wes finally did it. Jezzie and I used to say that if we left him alone for too long he wouldn't stop studying; he'd just keep working until he collapsed. Tonight he actually did. In the middle of flinging a fireball at an ogre, he simply went limp, and dropped to the metal grate. Connor had to drag him inside the building so he wouldn't fall through the ladder-hole, or trip us accidentally.

Elise appeared not long after, and sent Connor and Joyce down into the thick of the fight, with orders to send up Gunn. I'd argue, but I keep having to take breaks so I don't end up like Wes; I don't really have the energy to expend on second guessing the girl who knows the future. Also, she knows the bolt-of-fire spell.

It takes Gunn so long to climb the ladder that I'm tempted to go help him up; then another wave of dizziness stops me from climbing down to meet him. When he makes it up to us he's pretty beat up, and he looks exhausted, but firing a crossbow isn't that taxing, it should give him plenty of time to rest.

The rain has let up in the last hour or so, which is nice because it keeps us from sliding across the metal slat floor of the fire escape. Also makes the crossbow bolts easier to aim, and it'll probably make the fire easier to throw. Still, as I prepare to create another magickal flame, I wish mentally for some good old fashioned natural flame throwers, possibly a grenade or two.

Ron pops back out a window across the street, and sends a few strategic bullets into the crowd of demons. He's shooting closer to the hotel, and I feel a thread of fear that the building will be compromised, and there'll be nowhere for us to run if we need to fall back. Rather than helping Elise work on the charging horde, I turn and drag myself around to the other side of the ladder, and help with the demons who are trying to circle around from the back. Unfortunately, my aim isn't what it was a few hours ago, and I almost set Connor on fire as he fights an ugly demon I can't identify. Whoops.

I take a deep breath and start to form another fireball, trying not to shake with exhaustion, but Gunn comes up from behind and stops me. "You're lookin' wasted there, girl. Go work on the big crowd, I'll take this end. That way if you miss you're still hittin' bad guys."

I blush, angry that he noticed how tired I am, but I do what he says. No point arguing, I am really…

Ooh, where am I? I open my eyes slowly, and check my surroundings. It's dusty, and I'm soaking wet, and my head feels like I've been on a three day bender. Oh, crap; I pulled a Wes. I sit up carefully, leaning against the wall for support, and when I'm stable, I look at my watch. 11:00. In the morning, or at night? I turn to the window, where I can hear people on the fire escape, but I can't tell who they are. It's still dark, but it was dark when I went down, too, and that was full morning. I look around the room, and I'm the only one here, so I suppose Wes is awake now.

Damnit, I'm so never gonna live this down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merry

I came inside and took a quick nap, because after Wes and Penny both dropped on their feet, I was so not taking a chance I would, too. Good thing I saw Penny fall and went up to check on them; Gunn was a little too tapped out to get her inside, and Elise was so focused on magicks that she didn't even notice. I left Apple with Angel; I couldn't get her to come inside, even though I'm pretty sure she's been awake about a day longer than I have. Ahh, teenagers, so much energy…

I'm pretty sure it's still Friday, although we must be rapidly approaching Saturday, now. What I wouldn't give for a 24-hour clock. The blasted sun hasn't come up since it went down Thursday, and the rain slowed a few times, but hasn't really stopped. Having dry clothes on feels like heaven, and the last thing I want to do is go back out there, even with a raincoat (which I wish I'd remembered the first time). Not like that's gonna stop me; the last thing you want to do is often what must be done first. Like, for example, going back out into the rain to fight more demons. Joy.

So, like a good little defender of humanity, I pull my hair back, grab my coat, and go check on the patients before I leave for the battle field. Not stalling; consider it an inventory of who's on my side.

Jezebel is gone, and Gunn is in her place, bandages covering his torso and wrapped around his head. Laurie is sitting in a chair while Ron stitches her stomach; luckily I can't see too much of the wound. Willow is still asleep. I was half-hoping she'd be awake before me, but no love. Guess I can't have everything, but seriously, the Powers sent us this super-witch, and all she does is sleep? There's something seriously wrong with this picture.

I sigh. Crap. I knew, somehow, when I woke up that she was still out, but seeing it makes it real. We need her to wake up; the demons haven't stopped coming, and this has gone on too long. We're all going to get sloppy, and weak, and then dead. Which is very not good.

I sink onto the foot of Willow's bed, because I need another minute before I go back out there. I need to find a way to keep doing this, to fight when I feel like running for the first time ever. I reach out and grab Willow's hand, hoping I can draw a bit of comfort from her…And she twitches. Just a little.

My eyes shoot around the room, but no one else is looking our way. I edge closer to her, my heart suddenly pounding. "Willow? Wake up, kiddo, it's time to end this. Come on, sweet thing, wake up and stop those demons, then you can sleep for a week if you want."

I almost start crying when her eyes open and focus on me. Hot damn, the cavalry has arrived. I start laughing to keep the tears down, and rush off to get her a glass of water. She's been asleep for more than 24 hours, she's probably thirsty. When I get back Ron is taking her pulse, and Laurie is resting on her side on Willow's bed, ready to take over the spot once the witch is gone.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"A little like Sleeping Beauty, honestly." Willow's voice is raspy, but she seems with it, and there's a faint smile on her face. "How long was I out?"

"A little more than a day." Ron answers. "It's 10:45 Friday night. From what I understand you collapsed around 7:30 last night."

Willow nods and tries to sit up, and we each grab an arm to help her. Once she's settled, I hand her the water, and she sips it carefully. For a moment we're all quiet; Laurie has somehow drifted off to sleep next to Willow, Gunn hasn't so much as moved a finger since I've been here, and Ron just observes his patient. Then the Doc excuses himself to get Willow something to eat. So it's just us sitting there. When she's finished half the glass of water, Willow hands it back to me and closes her eyes. "How bad is it?"

I wonder what to tell her for a minute. How much tactical info, how much injury report? I have no idea what to say, and I'm still a bit sleepy, so before I've realized it the words are spilling out of my mouth. Elise's near brush with death, Connor hanging from the parking garage, Spike's ruined duster, Penny fainting mid-fireball, Ron and his rifle…And the demons that never stop coming. My voice is a bit horse when I'm finished, and Willow lends me her water, watching my face carefully as I drink.

"I know this seems like the end of the world…" Willow says quietly. "And maybe it is, you never can tell with these things. But, you can't freak out. No freaking, wigging, barmy-ness, or any other panic-type stuff. Once you lose focus, that's when the other side sneaks in and messes up your doilies."

"Doilies?" She's so cute when she's odd.

Willow shakes her head. "Ask Spike about it. Tomorrow. In the meantime…" She takes a deep breath, and stretches carefully. "Could you maybe help me to the WC?"

I chuckle, because it's such a normal thing to say, and the British-ism sounds so wrong in her mouth. When I get her back to bed, Ron's there with some soup, an energy bar, and milk and juice. I want to sit with her while she eats, but Willow shoos me off, telling me to go outside, and she'll join me when she can.

As I exit the back door of the Hyperion, still settling my weapons bag over my shoulder, I spot Apple coming towards me at a slow lope. Good, she needs to rest before she gets herself killed. I draw my sword and head over to let her know Willow is awake now, when two things happen at once. Apple lurches like a dipso, and a demon comes out of the narrow space between the parking garage and the empty office building, cutting directly into Apple's path, and raising a gigantic axe.

There's no way to get there in time, but I try anyway, running faster than I knew I could. Apple raises her sword to block the blow, but she's just too tired and weak, and her deflection does next to nothing. The axe falls, severing her arm at the shoulder. Which is about when I get there, and cut the demon's head off. Just a few seconds too late.

Apple's face is so white it's almost blue, and she's holding her arm with the other. Hopefully that means it's not entirely separated. I carry her inside as quickly as possible, which is no mean feat since she's 6 inches taller than me. I'm calling for help before I'm even properly inside, and I find Lorne first, passing Apple off to him as gently as I can. I swear the poor guy pales when he sees her wound; I'm just trying not to look at it.

I can't stay inside with her, as much as I want to. Seeing Apple injured reminded me that I'm supposed to have hauled my ass back out there already, so the other girls can rest. Stupid, selfish me. Okay, not entirely my fault; I tried to get her inside hours ago. I feel the guilt, though, in a big way.

Out back again, I grab my sword and Apple's from the ground near the dead demon, and head back toward the front line. Time to kill things.


Chapter End Notes:
So, what do you think?