Author's Chapter Notes:
n/a
“Oh don’t you dare use the friend card with me. That’s so bloody unfair!“ He pulled his hair in frustration. “You know what? You're right. We should end this silly arrangement between us. I can hardly look at you right now. Just go to your precious Angel coz’ as far as I’m concerned, we’re done talking here.”



“Fine!” Buffy challenged as each of them strode off in opposite directions.



***********


By fourth period, Buffy’s thoughts were even more conflicted than they were earlier in the day. As she came out of the classroom, she pondered about looking for Spike. She couldn't help but admit to herself that the annoying and yet sexy bleached blonde had a point after all. She can’t just break up Angel and Darla’s relationship. That would be wrong and totally not her style. If Angel should change his mind and come back to her, it should be because he realized it himself and not because of something she did.



What was eating her up at the moment was the fact that she had no right to push Spike into doing something he didn’t want to do. It’s not his fault that breaking people up was not in his nature. She had to find him to make things right between them again.



Walking down the hall, she kept her eyes on the lookout for Spike. But after a few minutes of searching, she finally gave up and headed out of the building. On the way out, her heart skipped a beat as she spotted her bleached blonde friend hanging about by one of the benches. “Spike.”




Anxious to patch things up between them, she began to run towards Spike. But the closer she got to where he was, the more she realized that he wasn’t completely alone.



Buffy felt a pang of hurt within her chest when she recognized the brunette girl with whom he was talking.



Spike stood beside Dru, who was sitting on the bench. The two seemed to be too occupied with their conversation to notice the petite blonde who had stopped to gawk at them.



“… doubt that it could ever be as lovely as you, luv,” she heard Spike say.



Buffy gritted her teeth as she watched Dru playfully slap him on his chest while laughing at something he said.




Oh God. I need some air. She then looked around her. Oh right, I’m already outside. Damn it! This is freakin’ insane. Seeing Spike with other girls never used to bother her before, but now that she saw him make googly eyes with her loony lab partner, she wanted nothing more than to march down to Dru’s side and tell her to stay the hell away from her Spike!




Buffy never realized just how tight she was clutching on to her books as she started to head home. She tried with all her might to stop the stubborn tears from falling down her cheeks, but she failed miserably.


**************


As soon as he spotted the petite blonde coming out of the school building, Spike quickly made his way over to where Dru was sitting. “Hi Dru.”



“Spike.” She smiled, closing the book she was reading.



“Nice day out, isn’t it.” He said, cursing the lack of smoothness in his words. Surely he could do a lot better than that.



“Yes. It’s quite a lovely day.”



“True, but I doubt if it could ever be as lovely as you, luv.” He teased.



He caught Buffy’s form moving towards them out of the corner of his eye. He smiled inwardly, liking the fact that the suggestive tone in his voice had effectively captured her full attention.



Dru laughed and gave him a playful slap. “That’s so sweet!”



Right. Let the chit realize how it feels to be on the receiving end of rejection and see how she likes it, Spike furiously mused to himself. Summers needs to learn that he’s not some sort of whipping boy that she could use and toss around like some bloody git.


He was mad at her. So much that he was close to making out with Dru out in the open just to spite her. He was about to make another flirtatious remark toward Dru, but as soon he caught the look on Buffy’s face, regret filled his heart almost instantly.


Bloody Hell! What have I done? His anger had pushed him to make her jealous. What he wasn’t counting on was the ache he felt within him the moment he saw the pain that crossed her eyes right before she walked away.


“Spike?” Dru called him impatiently.


“Yeah?”


“I was asking if you received the note that I gave to Sunshine?”


Spike nodded mutely, his head completely elsewhere.


“Great!” Dru chirped. “Guess we’re all set to go to the ball on Saturday then?…Spike?”


“Sorry, luv,” Spike apologized. “I- uh need to take care of something really important.”


“All right. Call me later, will you?”


Spike nodded, before he ran off to try and catch up with Buffy.


*********

Buffy leaned on the front door of her house weakly as soon as she closed it behind her. Oh boy, is she in deep trouble now. How did she let it happen…how could she…

Just then the doorbell rang and Buffy’s face immediately lit up, hoping that Spike left the loony ho to patch things up with her.


Wiping the tears on her face, she quickly opened the door. “Sp- Oh hi, Angel.”


“Hi Buffy! Mind if I come in?”


Buffy held out the door for him. “No, come in.”


“You don’t look happy to see me.” Angel observed, stepping into the foyer.


“I’m just feeling tired.” She said, pouting. “Why are you here?”


“Buffy, I just want to let you know how sorry I am for being such a jerk. I never really meant to hurt you. I was just confused and you know how confused people tend to make mistakes.”


“You hurt me, Angel,” she told him sadly.


“I know and I intend to make up for it if you’ll let me.”


“What are you saying?”


“What I’m saying is that I want you back, Buffy.”


Buffy’s eyes went wide. “Angel. I’m…I don’t know what to say.”


“Just say you’ll forgive me.” Angel held her hand in his. “Please Buffy, give me a chance, baby. I promise to be a better man for you from now on.”


“But what about Darla?”


“Darla and I are finished. I just realized that it’s hard to be with someone you’re not in love with.”


“Angel I-“


“I love you, Buffy. I should’ve realized it before. I’m not expecting you to say those words to me yet because I’m not even sure if I deserve them “ Angel sighed. “If it’s time you need, I’ll give it to you. I understand that you need to think whether you want me back or not, but there’s one thing I need to ask from you now.”


Buffy was too shocked to say anything. How many times did she dream of hearing him say those very same words to her? But now that the moment came, she couldn’t understand why those long awaited words felt so empty to her.


“Please go to the New Year’s ball with me on Saturday?”


While her mind searched for a reason why she shouldn’t say YES, she couldn’t find any reason why she shouldn’t say NO either. Especially when she knew that Spike was taking Dru to the ball…and not her.


Buffy drifted back to the cozy scene she witnessed earlier and her face could not help but cringe from the thoughts that began to invade her mind. Does that mean that he’s gonna be hanging out every night at Dru’s house instead of hers? Then, would that mean they’re gonna be doing all the stuff that they did at her house too? Or possibly even more?


It seemed that all his life, Spike got what he always wanted. Isn’t it about time that she got what she wanted as well? “Yes, Angel. I would love to go to the ball with you.”



“Oh Buffy, you don’t know just how much you made me happy.” Angel was so pleased with her response that he impulsively pulled her to him for a quick kiss.




When they drew apart, it took her mere seconds to realize that they weren’t alone anymore. Buffy couldn’t hide the shock in her eyes when she saw Spike standing by the door, his expression unfathomable. “Spike.”




“I was just passing by to see how you were,” he said casually. “Anyway, don’t let me interrupt what you’re doing… I’ll just see you later,” he said lamely as he turned on his heel.




“Stay, Spike,” Angel told him. “I’m about to head home anyway.”



The two men exchanged intimidating looks as they passed one other.




Angel wasn’t fooled one bit. He knew that underneath the Brit boy’s cool façade was a very jealous and lovesick puppy who was more than ready to punch the daylights out of him if provoked.



“I’ll call you, Buffy.” Angel told her as he left.



“Okay. Bye Angel.”



Buffy heaved a big sigh before she slowly turned her attention to the guy who had been the cause of most of her troubles lately. How long had he been standing there? She wondered if Spike had witnessed enough of her discussion with Angel to know that something was up with her. God, what if he figured it out?


She knew about Spike’s stellar reputation with women and his fear of commitment was just another reason to convince herself that Spike was just another heartbreak waiting to happen. She could only imagine how Spike would react once he found out the truth about her newly discovered feelings for him. If he does, would it compel him to turn away from their long-standing relationship as well?


I can’t lose him.


“Hello, pet, “he greeted, walking over to her.


There it goes again, the warm fluttery feeling within her chest that only seemed to make itself known whenever he was near. “Spike. What are you doing here?”


“Well, I was about to tell you that I’m gonna help you with your little scheme to break up Angel and Darla, but it seems that there won’t be any need for that now.”


“Oh,” she replied softly, her eyes looking at everywhere but him. “You heard…”


“Yeah.” And saw the kiss that nearly made his heart stop.


She heard him sigh.


“Not all but I caught the big part of the show where he said that he loved you and that he wants you back.”


“He also asked me to the ball.”


“And you said yes.”


She nodded. “You’re going too, right? With Dru?”


“I am,” he said, his hand coming up to lift her chin to face him. “Buffy.”


She swallowed hard. “Yes?”



“I’m sorry about what happened a while ago. I didn’t mean to snap at you like that,” he apologized softly, pulling her close. She quickly responded by putting her arms around his waist.



And as she rested her head on his shoulder, he found himself closing his eyes, thinking that he finally lost his one true love to Angel.


“I’m sorry, too,” she said. “I shouldn’t have asked you to do such a thing for me. You’re right. I was being unfair to you. I feel so bad about-”


“Shhh…that’s all right, luv.” He placed a soft kiss on her hair, loving the way her vanilla scent filled his senses. “I wasn’t really that angry. You should know by now that I could never stay upset with you for too long.”


Buffy chuckled. “You’re so adorable. It’s probably why I love you so much.”


Spike’s body stiffened. Did she just say what I thought she just said?


“… I couldn’t ask for better best friend,” she added, mentally kicking herself for her tiny slip.


“Best friend.” He echoed, feeling his heart sink.


“Let’s not fight again, Spike. I don’t like it when we fight.”


“Me too, pet. Can’t stand it.” He whispered, holding on to her tightly.


She let her body relax and enjoy the warmth of being enclosed within his arms. Sighing, she silently told herself that it was no use. She couldn't fight it anymore. She was falling in love with Spike fast and there was no way she could stop it even if she tried.



TBC

A/N: Thanks for the lovely reviews on my last chapter. Glad that you like the little angst I’ve thrown in. But since this was originally a PWP, the angst is not gonna last very long…I think.

Happy Valentines Day! Hope you enjoyed my latest installment. Don’t forget to leave a review okay?

Also I would like to announce that this fic had been nominated in the Lost in Spike awards for sexiest, funniest fic category. I’m still recovering from the shock really coz I feel there are lot of sexy and funny fics out there which are really good for my fic to be noticed, lol.

Nevertheless, I’m very grateful to whoever it was that nominated me. Thank you…lots! My thanks also goes to my beta, Natalie for working on this story with me. We did great, girl. We received a nomination!