Author's Chapter Notes:
n/a
A/N: If you don’t know the song of Five for fighting’s “the riddle”, you could click this link to give you an idea what song Spike and Buffy are talking about http://music.yahoo.com/video/33438821

**************



“Buffy, can I ask you something?”



Buffy tried very hard to mask the anticipation in her voice as she replied to him, “Ask away.”



“Are you still in love with Angel?” Spike questioned, trying to sound casual even if he already knew the answer that she was going to give him.



“Spike…” Buffy looked down. “Angel is a big part of my life. He has helped me somehow… realize what true love is…” Made me realize who I really love. “But he’s…”




“It’s okay, you know, to feel that way about the poofter even if he hurt you. I would completely understand. Once you love someone, it’s …,” he swallowed hard. “It’s hard to force yourself to stop.”




Was he talking about Cecily? “You’re right.” Buffy replied faintly. “Once you love, you can never stop.”



Spike looked quickly away as hurt flickered momentarily in his eyes.



Buffy was beginning to get uncomfortable with the conversation that they were having, which led to her becoming irritated with the things around her. Even the music being played on the loudspeakers at the fair was starting to get to her as well. “Damn, I hate this song.”



“What song?” Spike tried to make out the music she was talking about. “It’s not that bad. I happen to like it.”



Buffy looked at him sternly. “You, Spike Giles actually like a sappy song from Five- for-fighting?”




“Well, it has a nice beat to it.”




Buffy rolled her eyes and stood up impatiently. “We’d better go. It’s beginning to get dark anyway.”




Spike wondered what suddenly got her knickers in a twist. Did he say something that upset her? Bugger, he cursed inwardly as she started to walk away in a hurry. He felt so disappointed with the way things were going, especially when the reason why he brought her to the fair in the first place was to cheer her up. “Wait, how about one more ride?”




“I don’t know,” she said in deep thought. “We’ve practically tried every single ride. I just wanna go home.”




“Well not everything.” Spike gestured towards the carousel.




The blinding smile that Buffy bestowed upon him had nearly made his heart stop.



“Now you’re really started to make me worry,” Buffy said.




“Why?”




“Coz you hate carousels! I believe your exact words were- carousels are for ninnies…you’re gonna sully my bad boy image and all that rot,” she said, trying to imitate his British accent.




“Carousels are really not that bad,” he told her, his mind recalling a quick flashback of their fourteen-year old selves, holding hands between two horses and laughing like a couple of crazy kids. “Plus, it’s your birthday and I know that it’s your most favorite ride of all.”



“It is my favorite ride. I’ve been wanting to ask you to ride with me since we got here,” she replied as she let him take her hand towards the line. A very long line.



“Well, why didn’t you?”



“I just thought you would laugh at me since we’re a bit too old to ride in it.”



Spike chuckled, “Well someone once told me before that you can never be too old to ride in a carousel.”




“Boy, that someone must’ve have been really convincing…” then added for good measure, “and really pretty to make you act this way.”




The serious look that Spike gave her caused sudden fluttery feelings in her belly. “She is.”


************


It took almost half an hour before Spike and Buffy got through the line. There was such a rush by the other kids and teens to get the good carousel seats, however, that there was only one horse left to ride on once Spike and Buffy got onto the ride.


Spike and Buffy looked at each other and grinned awkwardly.



“Guess we’d better take the next ride,” Buffy said.



“No, you go ahead, I’ll just wait out there, pet”




“I don’t really mind waiting for the next ride. Really, it’s no biggie.” She wanted Spike to be with her.




“Stay, Buffy. I mean it. We’ve been waiting on line for like I dunno… forever? You deserve to sit on that horse.”




“Well, how about we share it?” Buffy suggested.




Spike raised his brow. “What?”




“It is one of the bigger horses they have here, anyway. I’m sure we that could both fit on it,” she said as she settled herself on the fake saddle.



“But…”




“Come on, Spike. The man running the booth is starting to give us a bad look.”



Spike hopped on the horse and took the space behind her.



The moment she felt Spike’s warm body touch her back, her heart began to beat erratically. He moved a little closer until she could feel his legs touching hers.




“You can hold on to me while I hold on to the pole,” she suggested.




Spike didn’t miss the slight change in her tone. His eyes began to darken as he put one arm around her waist. He moved his lips closer to her ears when he spoke. “Sure luv. Don’t quite fancy the idea of falling off from a fake horse. Not very manly.”




Buffy chuckled in spite of her nervousness. Buffy didn’t resist the urge to lean back
on his chest as the carousel started to move.




“Tell me, what’s so bad about the song to make you hate it?” He’d decided to ask when he started to feel his body respond to her closeness. Maybe she won’t notice it if he engaged her in a conversation.



But she did notice. His closeness was creating havoc on her senses, so it took Buffy several seconds before she was able to register what he was talking about. “It just sounds so sad and depressing.”



“Which part is depressing?”




“Well the depressing part is kinda hard to miss since it started out with a man who died in 95,” she said, trying to hold on tightly to the pole as the horse started to rise up and down.




Buffy felt the soft fluttering in her belly intensify as she felt his laughter vibrate from his chest to her back.




“I don’t about you but I kinda like this part of the song.” He cleared his throat before he opened his mouth to sing.




“Wait. Are you actually going to sing?” Buffy asked in amused tone.




“I am going to, just to prove you’re wrong about this song. But you have to promise me that you’re not gonna laugh.”




“Okay,” she said, giggling.



“Okay, here goes,


The batter swings,
And the summer flies
As I look into my angel's eyes




Buffy stiffened as he softly sang the song into her ear. Damn, in all the years they’ve known each other, she never knew he could sing. He sang it very slowly, a tone lower than the original version but the outcome was far more riveting and tender.



A song plays on
While the moon is high over me
Something comes over me




Buffy felt the tingle raced down her spine as Spike placed his right hand on her right shoulder and let his fingertips travel up and down the extent of her arm. She could feel herself melting into a pile of goo.



I guess we're big,
And I guess we're small
If you think about it, man
You know we got it all


Cause we're all we got
On this bouncing ball
And I love you free, I love you freely




Spike stopped singing and the rest of the song continued to play inside their heads as they both closed their eyes.


Here's a riddle for you,
Find the answer....




“Buffy…” he murmured just before he started planting soft kisses on the nape of her neck.



There's a reason for the world,
You and I...




God! Buffy started to pant at the delicious thrills the touch of his lips was giving her. “Spike…” she heard herself whispering as she felt the evidence of his desire start to graze her behind.




When Buffy turned, she saw Spike’s darkened eyes and she wasn’t at all surprised when his lips came down to claim hers in a hot searing kiss. Her lips immediately parted and welcomed his hot tongue as it mingled fervently with her own.




The horse moved up and down but their lips stayed fused together. Through his ragged breathing, Spike covertly tried to relieve his discomfort by pushing further into her lower back.




“Oh God!…We’d better stop...kids.” Buffy reminded him huskily as she leaned her forehead against his.



Spike reluctantly stopped and tried to catch his breath. “I’m sorry.”



Buffy swallowed the lump in her throat. “You’re sorry that we kissed?”



Spike looked at her with glassy eyes. “No.”




The carousel had already stopped but the two blondes were so lost in their own world to notice. They were about to engage in another kiss when they heard the familiar sound of fireworks being shot through the air.



Spike lowered himself off the horse and lifted Buffy easily. She rested her head on his shoulder and sighed deeply. Buffy didn’t want to let him go and Spike must’ve been thinking of the same thing for he didn’t settle her down on the ground until they left the vicinity of the carousel.


They both looked up to see the lovely flashing colors that painted the sky before Buffy pulled his head towards hers to bestow him with another mind-blowing kiss. Just one more kiss, she told herself before…




…She leaves me,
Spike mused to himself bitterly. I need to feel her lips on mine before we go back to the way things were.




TBC


A/N : I know I’ve disappointed a lot of people with the way Buffy answered Spike’s question. Really sorry about that. It’s just that I had the story laid out and changing that scene would change all the twist and turns that I have in store. Anyway, please let me know how this chapter went. I hope it didn’t get too sappy.

Thanks again for the lovely reviews on my last chapter. I still find myself laughing sometimes whenever I recall some of the reactions you wrote. Truly truly love em!

Again, big thanks to Natalie for working on this chapter with me!