Author's Chapter Notes:
N/A
It was like a nightmare unfolding right before her very eyes. She was watching the love of her life enter the scene with a clingy lunatic partner named Drusilla hanging over his arm. And no… they didn’t go to their table like Buffy had expected them to. Instead, they had to add further insult to injury by joining her and Angel on the dance floor.


“So what’s up with you and Captain Peroxide, Buffy?”


“What do you mean?” She replied nonchalantly. Her attention was completely elsewhere.


“You know what I mean.”


Damn! They even move so well together… when did Spike have the time to learn the waltz? Dru whispered something into his ear and this resulted in an amused grin from the bleached blonde. Her face cringed at the thought of Drusilla’s whispered promises of how their night was going to end. This is not happening.


“Buffy?”


“Huh?”



“I was asking if you had reservations with coming with me tonight?”


“Reservations…” She echoed distantly.


Buffy was seething with anger. It took all her willpower not to approach Dru and pry her claws away from her Spike. The girl has no right to be anywhere near him. She had no right to…Oh God, he’s looking at me.


When their eyes made contact across the room, she didn’t look away. She could’ve sworn she saw him swallow hard right before he averted his gaze and turned back his attention to Dru. In the few seconds when her eyes met his, Buffy thought she saw something flicker in his eyes. Was it jealously? No, it couldn’t be. Buffy quickly erased the possibility in her head for she knew that must have been wishful thinking on her part that made her imagine it.


“Now where did you get that silly notion from? I wanted to come here with you.” Buffy held back the sigh of relief as the orchestral number was finally done. “You know what? I’ll go see what I can get from the bar.”


“No, how about you let me do that for you.” Angel suggested.


“It’s okay. I’ll bring over to our table,” she said. “Want me to get you anything?”


“A coke would be nice.”


Buffy nodded before she disappeared behind a pool of guests.

*********

Cordy was sitting on one of stools when Buffy reached the bar.


“All right, spill.”


“Spill what?” Buffy asked, not sure what she was talking about.


“Tell me, what are you doing with Angel?”


Buffy threw her a look of utter disbelief. “He’s my date.”



Cordy rolled up her eyes and sighed in exasperation. “Well duh, I know he’s your date. What I’m asking is why is HE is your date and not Spike?”



Buffy opened her mouth to speak but then closed it again.


“I mean Angel is quite a looker but I could bet my entire collection of Jimmy Choo shoes that you’d rather be spending your evening with your very handsome best friend.”



“Was I really that obvious?”



“Ya-huh! So why aren’t you with him?”



“I think the person to whom you should be asking this question is Spike and not me. He’s obviously interested in someone else.”




“Buffy…Buffy…Buffy.” Cordy shook her head. “Just because a guy went out with the girl it doesn’t mean that he’s really into her.”



“But isn’t that the point of asking the girl out?!” Buffy countered. “I mean what kind of guy would ask someone else to be his date if he’s interested in an entirely different girl?”



“The kind of guy that is helplessly in love with his best friend but can’t make a move since she’s been in complete denial for so long. Are you catching on now?” Cordy explained in as-a-matter-factly kind of way. “And besides, shouldn’t I be asking you the same thing?”



Buffy’s eyes widened. “Spike is not in love with me.”



“No?” Cordy asked with an amused grin. “Then why does he keep making moon eyes at you right now even if he’s busy dancing with Dru?”



Buffy turned and thought she caught Spike staring but then his attention was quickly turned elsewhere. She could’ve just easily imagined it like she always does. So this time, she waited for a few seconds to see if…Oh dear, her mind mused as she caught Spike looking at her again. Her heart did a slight somersault when she recognized that same look he would usually give her when they were about to kiss.



Buffy looked back at Cordy who had a satisfied grin on her face. “I was right, wasn’t I?”



“No, you’re obviously mistaken. He’s probably checking…the bar out.” She explained then added lamely. “Maybe he’s thirsty.”



“God! What could I do to knock some sense into you? Spike is very much in love with you as you are with him!” Cordy said furiously. “Ugh! What I would give to have somebody look at me the way he was looking at you.”


Then something clicked. Realization dawned on her face as she looked sharply back Cordelia.



“What?”


A smile formed on Buffy’s lips when she spotted Angel’s approach.

************

Moments later,


“Spike, the powder room on the ground floor is full. Would you mind helping me find the guest bathroom upstairs?”


“But Dru, I don’t want to go upstairs. Can’t you just find someone else to take you there?”
Spike looked at the gang and they all had their faces intentionally averted. It indicated how reluctant they were about helping him out of this one.


“I already went looking for Cordy but I couldn’t find her. Can you come with me? I don’t want get lost.”


Spike looked at the empty seats that Buffy and Angel were supposed to be seated and then sighed. I wonder where they went? Dinner had already been served and Spike was beginning to be concerned about Buffy’s whereabouts. And it had nothing to do with the fact that her food was getting cold. “Well all right. But you have to make it quick. We just ate and I need my usual fag.” And then I need to find her.



As soon they reached the hall that lead to the bathrooms, Dru dragged Spike to a corner and started running her hands all over him.


“Dru what are you doing?” Spike said as he stilled her hands with his.


“What does it look I’m doing my dear prince. I’m helping you.” Drusilla purred at him.


“What is it exactly that you’re helping me with?”


“I’m helping you forget about Sunshine.”


“Sunshine? Who the bloody hell is…?”


Dru silenced his mouth by attacking his lips.


***************

Buffy was quite satisfied with her newly found ability in matchmaking. It took a lot of prodding on her part, but finally, Angel relented and accepted the fact that Buffy was no longer interested in him. He didn’t actually mention Spike as being the reason for her change of heart but somehow Buffy was aware that Angel knew more than he let on.


He admitted that part of his reasons for wanting to get back together with her was his regret of having to let go of someone as kind-hearted and as innocent as her. The more time he spent with his ex-girlfriend, Darla, the more he realized just how lucky he’d been to have had Buffy at some point. Indeed, she was one of those girls one could easily fall in love with. She was special. Someone who was truly beautiful inside and out.



When Buffy asked if he was interested in hooking up with Cordelia, he didn’t say yes and yet he didn’t exactly protest either. And Cordelia couldn’t have been happier when Angel finally asked her to dance.


Her face lightened up as she began to look for Spike. Cordy was very persistent that Spike was interested in her. The more that she thought about it, the more that she started to think that maybe Cordy was right! But the best way to find out its authenticity was to ask him about it herself. She felt it was about time they both lay their cards out on the table.



Buffy was on the second floor of Cordy’s mansion when she heard people talking near the darker corner of the hallway. She wasn’t usually someone who snooped, but there was something about the loony giggle that gave her that awful dreadful feeling within the pit of her stomach.



As soon as she saw THEM clearly with her own eyes as their lips fused together, she immediately turned and ran away.

***************

Spike was shocked at Dru’s action but pushed her away from him, “Dru, stop it.”



“But I’m doing you a favor my darling. Sunshine doesn’t suit you. You belong in the shadows with me.”



Spike shook his head in exasperation. He couldn’t understand a word she was saying.
Buffy was right. Dru was indeed one crazy bint.




“Dru…” he sighed. “It’s just not working out.”



“Oh.” Dru looked at him with sad eyes.


“ I’m sorry…I used you.”



“I understand, Spike. You need to be somewhere else. I knew from the moment I saw you that your mind and heart were all covered with her and still, I tried to intervene.”



Spike stiffened. “How did you-?”



Dru let go of him. “Go, Spike. Don’t worry about me. I’m sure I can find someone else to take me home.”



“Are you sure?”




Dru nodded. “Do what you have to do and do it soon before it’s too late.”



Spike didn’t have time to analyze what Dru was talking about, all he knew was that he needed to find Buffy and make sure that she was all right. He didn’t trust Angel one bit. An irksome feeling started to overcome him as he began to suspect that the reason that he couldn’t find Buffy and Angel anywhere was because they were probably somewhere private where they could…


He was already about to march down the spiral staircase when he spotted Angel on the dance floor. Spike’s blood began to boil with rage when he spotted the slim arms that pulled him in for a kiss. But as his dance partner came fully into his view, his forehead furrowed in confusion.



******************

Buffy dragged her feet back to her table and had purposely avoided her friend’s questioning gaze. I have to be strong. It was what she kept telling herself as she tried to fight back the tears that were threatening to spill any moment. She didn’t like being the center of attention for any reason.


Sighing deeply, she looked down at her plate and found that she had totally lost her appetite. She could not believe that she had just walked in on Spike and Dru making out in the hallway. He knew that she was around and didn’t even consider the possibility that he might hurt her.



“Oh there you are, Buffy! Where were you?” Willow asked.



“I…uh just got down from the bathroom upstairs,” she answered, her head bent down. She didn’t want them to see how close she was from breaking down.


“You know Spike was looking all over for you.” Xander told her.



Buffy suddenly stiffened. Her voice was cold when she asked. “He was looking for me?” Right. Like he could find me while he’s shoving his tongue down Drusilla’s throat.



“Yeah.” Willow replied.


“He seemed really worried about you.” Oz added.



Silence.



“Are you okay, sweetie?” The redhead asked, her face filled with so much concern.



“Xander, why don’t you ask Buffy to dance with you,” Anya suggested.



Buffy’s head shot up and protested. “No, that’s not necessary.”



But Xander was already standing up. “Come on, Buffster. Good thing they’ve ended the waltz a while ago. I’m known to shimmy well to the sound of Burt Bacarach.”



“Who?” Anya asked.


“Anh, I was just trying to …”


“Okay, okay! I’ll dance with Xander,” Buffy stood up and took Xander’s outstretched hand. “I’ll do anything to stop the two of you from making a scene.”



Xander threw Anya an accusing look that said: Now you made her even more upset.



Anya shook her head in an irritated fashion and mouthed: It’s all your fault.



Around this time, the conductor had called Cordy’s dad on the dancefloor and asked if he could sing a number for them. This had already been pre-arranged of course but Richard Wilkins Chase still tried to pretend to be hesitant as he made his way to the orcherstra’s stage. The crowd began to cheer for him.



“I would like to thank everyone for coming. As all of you know, this has been an ongoing tradition for the Chase family to throw our friends and families a special party….”



“He’s not gonna make with a long speech, is he?” Buffy whispered to Xander, recalling the symposium she’d attended in school where he was the speaker.



“Gee I hope not, coz’ it’s just a few minutes left before midnight. I kinda like the idea of welcoming the New Year without a lecture about eclipses and stuff.”



“I’m dedicating this song to my lovely wife, Edna. It’s a song by one of our favorite singers of all time, Sir Paul Mcartney and it’s called ‘This Never Happened Before.’”



As soon as the crowd’s applause died down, the orchestra began to play the intro to the song.
Xander and Buffy were among the few people who joined the couples on the dance floor.



Buffy placed her head on Xander’s shoulder. She tried everything she could to erase unwanted images of Spike from her head, but it was no use. Her heart was shattering into a million pieces and she couldn’t do anything to stop it. She held back her tears for she didn’t want Xander to ask the reason behind it. She didn’t want any of her friends to realize what a fool she was for falling helplessly in love with her best friend.


I'm very sure
This never happened to me before
I met you and now I'm sure
This never happened before




They were only mere seconds into song when she felt Xander stop. She looked up alarmingly at him “Why are you stopping? What’s wrong?”



With her heart pounding so loudly in her ears, Buffy turned to see who her dance partner was staring at…and practically had the floor drop out from under her. His blue eyes seemed to have held hers forever before he finally turned to Xander. “Do you mind if I cut in?”




TBC



So sorry for the late update. Brownies anyone? Erm…I hope to make it up with the next chappy, I promise :-) Once again thanks for all your support and kind words! I know that this is one of those cliffhangers that you guys usually hate me for but this was originally a very long chapter and I have to cut it in two. Please feel free to comment and let me know what you think of it. Thanks again!

Once again thanks to Natalie for beta-ing this chap for me! Thanks for helping me a lot with this story.