Chapter 16.

“Come and sit by me, sweetie.” Joyce encouraged Dawn to join her on the couch. That, of course, is not to suggest that Dawn needed encouragement.

Taking a moment, while everyone made themselves comfortable. Joyce took the time to glance around the room, smiling at old faces and new faces alike. “Well, first thing, I am so very proud of all of you. You’ve made the most of what could have been a terrible situation.” She started. “Now, it’s true I’m primarily here for Buffy, Dawn and Spike, but I do have information that I need to share with the team from L.A. too. So if you’ll all bear with me, we should get through it all quickly.

First, Dawn," Joyce said, facing her youngest daughter. “Honey, I have to tell you, being in the position I am now, allows me to look at things from a different perspective. Sadly, it took me dying to realise a few truths that should have been obvious from the start. But, I didn’t understand. I was so intent on keeping my own dreams alive that I didn’t look too closely at anything that could disrupt them. When I finally understood that Buffy was the Slayer, it was easier to think of it as a disturbing hobby than what it really was, what it really meant. I allowed myself to believe that even with this hobby she could still have a normal life. I was wrong. What I should have done, was find out exactly what a Slayer was. Had I done that, I would have discovered that a Slayer is not an ordinary girl…..she’s an extraordinary girl and she deserves so much more than to be tied to an ordinary life. Now, I may not be able to change the mistakes I made with Buffy’s situation, but I can ensure that you don’t have to go through the pain of that too.

Like Buffy, you are extraordinary too. You have powers and abilities that make you, in your own way, just as important to the dimensions as the guardians. You will learn how to control your powers, with a little guidance from Mr Giles and you will use those powers to be an important part of this team. Without you Buffy and Spike would be unable to do their job.”

“So, I’m like a super hero?” Dawn almost landed on the floor, as her excitement escalated. “That is so cool. What powers will I have? Ooh…ooh…and when do I get them?”

“The ability to open and close stable portals to exact locations, invisibility and the ability to understand, read, write and speak any language.” Joyce smiled indulgently at her offspring, before offering a word of warning; “But, I will be watching and you will be completing school, young lady. These powers will come in their own time, but you will learn self disciple before then.”

“Jeez, way to suck the enjoyment out, mom.” Dawn pouted.

Joyce smiled indulgently at her youngest, before continuing; “The next piece of news I’ve got, while very satisfying to me, may or may not upset some of you; I’m not really sure about your true feelings Rupert and Wesley, so I’ll apologise for upsetting you just in case.” Joyce moved on to the next subject up for discussion, focusing on the two ex-watchers.

Both men looked at each other in speculation, before settling their gaze on Joyce. “Please, continue Joyce.” Giles invited the ethereal woman.

“The arrival of the Guardians to this plane puts an end to the slayer line and the council.” Joyce waited for their reactions.

Shocked, the entire room was silenced. Furiously trying to make some sort of sense of what had been said, Giles cleaned his glasses, in an attempt to calm his warring emotions. In part, he was elated at the comeuppance to Quentin Travers, but another part of him was devastated that the institution he had invested so much of his life to, was ending; “But how is that possible?” His awe and confusion clear in his voice.

“The girls are no longer needed, so the powers have released the essence of the First Slayer. With her release, Faith lost her powers and, as there is no need for a slayer, there is certainly no need for watchers.” Joyce calmly explained. “But, just because a slayer and watchers are no longer needed, doesn’t mean we won’t be making use of some of the council’s resources and assets.” She added, a devious little smile playing at her lips.

“Faith’s lost her powers? Wow...sucks to be her.” Buffy inserted in mock distress for the ex-slayer. Clearly indicating a certain lack of forgiveness in relation to the other girl.

“But, surely the council could still be of some use?” Giles ignored Buffy’s comments.

“Most of the council is corrupt. They have allowed their mission to be warped in their need for control and love of power. They approve of murdering a Chosen Champion of the Powers, if she doesn’t follow their orders.” Joyce responded with grim finality

“What do you mean when you say that council resources and assets will be utilized?” Wesley asked, amused; thoughts of the demise of the council, leaving him completely unconcerned.

“The First Slayer was created by a group of village elders, who then went on to become the beginnings of the Watchers Council. The elder females of the village weren’t happy with the way the elders went about creating and using the First Slayer, but they were unable to do anything about it at the time.

One of the female elders was a very gifted seer. The Seer was sent a vision showing her of the arrival of the guardians in the distant future and she informed the other women. The women decided that they would help the guardians by forming their own council, keeping it all secret from the men, in that way they could help future slayers.

They started by working with the men from the outside of the Watchers Council and, over time, woman have been allowed into the council and some of those women are part of the larger group of ‘Those Who Wait’.” Joyce explained. “Buffy and Spike are who they’ve been waiting for. Once their seer was alerted to the presence of the Guardians in this dimension, the group went into action. They entered the council libraries and catacombs, removed all the warding spells and transported all the books, scrolls, parchments and magical devises off council property to pre-prepared locations, then transferred all money, investments and property over to Buffy and Spike. A representative from the group is on her way, with all the paperwork, to finalise everything.”

Wesley started snickering, but was soon laughing uproariously, tears streaming down his face. When he noticed that the others were looking at him as if he was insane, he attempted to control his laughter; “I’m sorry...it’s just that...Oh God, it’s priceless...” he continued to laugh as he attempted to explain. “My Father...(hee hee)...Quentin Travers...(snicker, snicker)...all the older members of the council...oh lord...they had all their personal properties and assets sighed over to the council...to save on taxes!” He resumed laughing.

“We own Quentin Travers’ home?!” Buffy grinned in glee.

“Now that’s what I call poetic justice.” Giles announced, delighted.