Chapter 20.

Moving in unison, the two guardians headed towards the bed. Positioning themselves near the centre, they faced each other, legs crossed and holding hands. Closing their eyes and allowing themselves to feel the depth of their bond, they felt their power build. The world dropped away from them, opening their inner eye as one, they saw themselves flying, with arms outstretched, the hand nearest to the others, entwined.

When they spoke to each other, no words formed at their lips. ‘Look luv, there she blows.’ Buffy looked over to see a fountain of power streaming up from the ground. Nodding she replied; ‘Guess that’s number one!’

Focusing on the steam of energy as one, the two mentally forced the energy back to its source. The gates to the Hell-mouth seemed to slam closed and they mentally blessed the gates with a kiss, sealing it for all time. Following this pattern, they made their way to each and every hell-mouth; permanently closing them one after another, until there was only one left…Sunnydale.

In order for their plans to work the Sunnydale Hell-mouth had to remain open fractionally; just enough so that enough power escaped to draw in evil, but not enough to be able to be used. Working together, the two guardians concentrated on achieving their goals.

Satisfied with their results, they prepared to build the shield. Buffy marvelled at the simplicity of the idea; the only place in the world where the power of a hell-mouth might be tapped into would be protected by a simple barrier. Any malevolent demon, crossing the barrier or within the confines of the barrier when it was constructed would immediately disintegrate. Any evil demon drawn to the siren song of the hell-mouth would disintegrate as they breached the barrier.

Champions around the globe felt it when the barrier surrounding Sunnydale fell into place.

*******

As the weeks passed, life began to settle down to a peaceful flow. Anya asked for, and received, a no interest loan, so that she could buy a sweet little house that she’d found; she insisted that the second bedroom could be used as an office so she could better service their financial needs by having everything in one place, thus saving them all time. Time is money!

Giles bought the house next to the resource centre, then upset Dawn, Buffy and Spike by offering his spare room to Tara. Revello Drive was not the same without her.

Buffy and Spike moved into Joyce’s bedroom and Dawn moved into Buffy’s old room then manipulated Buffy and Spike into redecorating the rest of the house as well.

When the Sunnydale Museum was robbed of a large diamond, Buffy called crime stoppers. Warren Meers, Jonathan Levinson and Andrew Wells were found in possession of the missing diamond and enough other evidence to have them charged with and found guilty of a number of crimes. Giles offered to help in the rehabilitation of Jonathan and Andrew, suggesting to the court that there was work for them at the Ancient Book Archive that he now ran. The court decided to accept his offer.

So peaceful had life become, that Buffy decided to return to school. Spike offered to help out at the research centre, but Giles was forced to say no more after several instances of Mary fainting at the sight of him. Mary cried, Giles apologized and Spike bitched.

Spike was bored...this is not of the good.

Due to both Buffy and Dawn being in school, Spike was the only one home when the L.A. crew arrived. As he moved towards the door, Joyce appeared; “It’s alright dear, I’m just here to make sure you don’t panic.”

Spike looked at her warily as he opened the door, he saw Wesley and Cordelia, then noticed the bundle that she was carrying. He looked at the two adults in front of him. He turned his head and looked back at Joyce. He looked at the bundle and Cordelia turned it to face him. He looked at the baby. He panicked.

*******

When Buffy got home from her classes, she found Wesley and Cordelia sitting on the couch with a baby and her mother and sister attempting to calm down her agitated mate.

“Someone wanna fill me in?” She asked calmly, crossing her arms. When every one began speaking at once, Buffy shushed the room and pointed to Wesley.

“You were right about…almost everything. Unfortunately Darla overheard us telling our other associates about the problems relating to Angels soul, and apparently worried about it. So when it became apparent that the baby’s birth was imminent, Darla became increasingly agitated about the possibility of Angel loosing his soul at the birth of his child; she feared for her child’s safety, were that to happen.” Wesley explained.

“Well, gotta admit, I can understand the fear.” Buffy offered.

“Yes, well it appears that her fears for her child’s safety superseded everything else, so as she was helped into position, by Angel, to have the child, she produced a stake and dusted him.” He paused.

“Okay...not expecting that.” Buffy commented, unconcerned.

“She asked us to ensure that that baby was given to Spike, she said that she didn’t like him but she respected his need to put family first and his ability to love. She then stabbed herself with the stake, leaving just the baby behind. We bought him some necessities then brought him here.” Wesley concluded.

“Alright…well that explains everything nicely, thank you Wes.” Buffy smiled at her ex-watcher. Turning to her mate, she smirked; “What are you complaining about…you said you were bored.”

*******

It didn’t take long for the little family to develop a routine. The baby, Conner, soon became the apple of everyone’s eye. It wasn’t a surprise to anyone that the individual, who complained longest and loudest amongst them, was the most doting of them all. Spike hovered, touching the baby as often as possible. He purred to him, he read to him, he bathed, fed and changed him. Often grumbling when, someone else wanted to spend time with the baby.

Buffy smiled as she thought about them. Glancing down at her hand, Buffy contemplated the stick and its two blue lines; ‘we’re sooo gonna need a bigger house...maybe we should have Quentin’s place shipped to Sunnydale...’



Fin


A/N: Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read my story, a second thanks to those who have been kind enough to leave me a review.

I started this as a test to myself…could I write a fic? I still don’t know the answer to that particular question, but your reviews have made me think it’s possible.

While I would have preferred this story with a touch of angst, the challenge parameters forbade that. I hope that my next attempt will satisfy that need. I might even be persuaded to write a sequel!

Jackofspikes


Challenge Details:

Challenge: 111

Think of when Willow brought Buffy back from the dead. Well, what if she bought back Buffy from an alternate dimension? A Buffy that is smarter and nicer about matters that concern Spike. You can chose which dimension she comes from but angst is not allowed, purely fluffy Spuffy with bite.