Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for waiting...i'm soo sorry. please read the Author's Note at the bottom..
Chapter 12: It Still Hurts

Cordelia smiled when she saw Buffy walk into the coffee shop. She seemed so much happier now after being with Spike for a couple of weeks then she did with her years with Angel. She loved Spike, but she wasn’t in love with him like Buffy was, and the history those two had overruled any moments she had with the British blonde.

Buffy caught her eye, and headed towards the table in the back of the shop by the window. She sat down and placed her purse on the table to the side. Buffy glanced at her friend awkwardly, not really knowing what to say.

“Hey…”Cordelia started. “It’s okay…I’m okay. I’m happy for you, and I knew that eventually it would come to this. You two had the forbidden love of all time.” The brunette took a sip of her coffee. “As long as he doesn’t break you’re heart, I won’t be mad.” She finished with a bright smile.

“Thanks…that means a lot. So where are you staying now? Spike never mentioned it.” Buffy asked feeling a lot more at ease.

“That’s because I didn’t tell him.” Cordy replied with a small laugh. “Tasha…she’s a friend from work. Her roommate moved out so she said I could stay with her until I find a more permanent place to stay. I’ve been apartment hunting all week and coming up with absolutely nothing.” She stated looking down at her napkin.

Buffy shot her an encouraging smile. “I’m sure something will come up.”

“I sure hope so…cause Tasha’s great and everything, but she really likes bringing her male friends home.” Cordy said with raised brows.

Buffy cringed in sympathy for her friend before her face lit up with an idea. “I can help you.” She quickly offered.

* * * * *

After staying at the coffee shop for another thirty minutes, Buffy headed back to Spike’s house that he now shared with her. She had been slowly moving her stuff into the house and making herself comfortable there. Part of her felt weird knowing that her friend had once lived here, made a home here…and the other part was ecstatic that she was finally going to be starting a life with Spike…the one that would always be on her mind even while she was going home to someone else.

She walked in and dropped her purse on the table beside the door and was about to head up the stairs when a knock sounded on her door. With a frown, she turned around and opened the door to find Angel standing there with a very neutral look on his face.

Without saying anything, Buffy stepped to the side to let him in. He deftly stepped around her, and into the living room to sit down on the couch. Buffy sat down on the other side of the couch and neither made a move to speak.

Buffy stared at her hands, fiddling with her fingers waiting nervously for Angel to say something. The brunette just sat there looking straight ahead of him, looking calm; thoughts circling his brain.

“Angel-” Buffy started only to be cut off from her ex-boyfriend.

“Are you living here now?” his voice was calm and quiet, full of hurt.

Buffy lowered her eyes to her lap and sighed. “Yes…I just started moving my things in last week.”

Angel nodded his head. “Where’s Spike?”

“Um…he went to the grocery store. How did you know I was here?” Buffy asked with a frown.

“I didn’t. I came here to see Spike. I need to talk to him.” All of his answers were short and fairly general.

“Oh…what-” Buffy was cut off yet again when Spike walked through the door with a few bags of groceries.

“Hey baby! I couldn’t find the ice cream you wanted so I got you your second favorite.” Spike called out from the entryway. He walked into the living room holding up chunky monkey ice cream. “Oh…hi Angel.” Spike greeted shifting his weight.

“Hi. Can I talk to you for a second?” Angel asked standing up and walking into the kitchen, expecting Spike to follow him in.

“Yeah sure…” Spike walked over to Buffy and gave her a quick kiss. “What did he say to you?” he whispered with a frown on his face.

“Nothing…he came here to see you. Barely even spoke to me.” Buffy whispered back, worried etched on her face. “He was acting so weird…he was so calm and equivocal.”

Spike gave her another quick kiss to reassure her. “I’ll talk him, okay?” Spike walked back into the kitchen, grabbed the bags and started filling the fridge and cupboards with the newly bought groceries. “So Angel…what brought you here? I thought you’d never want to speak to me again.” Spike declared turning around to lean on the fridge with his arms crossed.

“I may hate you Spike but you’re still my best friend. And I thought you should be the first one to know.” Angel mimicked Spike’s position, crossing his arms over his chest.

“First to know what?” the bleach blonde asked, with an eyebrow raised.

“I’m leaving…town. I think it would make things easier for everyone here if I did.”

Spike’s eyes widened in surprise. He dropped his arms to his side, and shifted his feet. He never expected that to happen. Maybe he’s taking this a lot harder than I thought. “What about work?” Spike asked. He really didn’t want Angel to just disappear, and not come back. Find a way to keep him here.

“The department can transfer me to another office.” Angel answered shortly.

“Where?”

“I’m thinking maybe New York. Business is good there.”

“That’s on the other side of the country.” Spike mentioned, upset that his best friend was going to be so far away. “Are you coming back?”

“I might…maybe to visit Cordy, my parents. I can’t be around you and Buffy right now, Spike. It still hurts.” Angel finally showed a little bit of facial expression, frowning with a bit if hurt etched on his face.

“I’m so sorry, Angel. But I love her. I always have and I couldn’t give her up this time.” Spike claimed feeling like shit for hurting him.

“No, I get it, Spike…I do. There’s just something about her that you can’t help but love. I think we all just need a bit of time…just to let it all blow over.” The tall brunette sighed and shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans. “I’m leaving in two weeks…so uh…bye Spike.” The two stood there looking at each other not saying anything.

Within warning, Angel slowly walked over to Spike and gave him a tight manly hug. Spike hugged his friend, and gave him a pat on the back. The two let go, and gave a tight smile to the other.

Angel walked out of the room, and towards the door. On his way he gave a quick goodbye to Buffy, without even glancing in her direction. The door closed, and Spike walked into the living room to sit down next to Buffy.

“What did he say?” Buffy asked nervously.

“He’s leaving town. In two weeks.”

“What? Where’s he going?” the blonde wondered anxiously.

“New York.”

“New York!?! What the hell is in New York!?!” Buffy shrieked.

“Not us, apparently.” Spike concluded sadly.


A/n: sooooooooo sorry for the extremely late update. I know you hate me for leaving you guys stranded like that. Again, soo sorry. I was having a horrible case of writer’s block and my mind was in other places for a while…and I couldn’t find the place to lead the story. I re-did this chapter twice cause I was so unhappy with it. Please let me know what you think of it, and if third times the charm. Thanks for waiting! Please review!!