Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the long wait. this is a flash forward, but i will be going back in time like a promised to fill in some more blanks...only a few more chapters.
Chapter 13: Coming Home

6 Years Later

DING DONG

“Sweetie can you grab the door? Mommy’s getting ready.” Buffy called down to her daughter.

The little girl raced towards the door from the living room and pulled it open. She looked up at the person at the door with a small frown. “Who are you?” she asked bluntly, her voice sweet and soft.

“Uh…I think I might have the wrong house, sorry.” The man said about to turn around.

“Who’s at the door Maddi?” Buffy called out, before coming down the stairs to stand next to her daughter. “Angel...” She greeted with a stunned look. “Wow…it’s been a long time.”

“Yeah. It has.” Angel agreed taking in his ex’s appearance. She was wearing a white tank top and tight light blue denim jeans with a pair of black leather boots. Her hair was back to it’s original color now: a chestnut brown. It was down with soft, loose curls hanging to the middle of her back. Her skin was a glowing tan, and a little bump was formed on her stomach. She looked good…scratch that. She looked amazing!

Buffy glanced down at her little girl. “Maddi…why don’t you go back into the living room and watch some TV okay?” with a nod, Maddi ran back into the living room. Looking back up at Angel, Buffy smiled. He looked good. He was wearing a dark blue button-up shirt with a suit jacket over top and black slacks. His hair was a little shorter and his face was a little thinner. “Um…come inside.” She ushered him in with a smile, and the two walked into the kitchen.

“That your daughter?” Angel asked nodding his head towards the living room.

“Yeah…” She confirmed with pride. “She’s five. My pride and joy. I can’t get enough of her.” She said with a laugh.

“She’s beautiful. Looks like her mom.” Angel complimented with sincerity.

“Yeah but she has her dad’s eyes.”

“And who would that be?” the brunette asked with interest, leaning against the doorframe.

Just as the words left his mouth, said man walked through the door, and into the kitchen when he heard voices. “Hey baby…we have company?” Angel turned around to look at his best friend. “Angel…wow. Haven’t seen you in a while.” Spike welcomed with a smile.

“Yeah…I’ve been pretty busy with work so I decided to take a vacation. Come home and visit my family and friends.” Both Buffy and Spike smiled knowing that everything between Angel and the couple were okay again. “I got the pleasure of meeting your daughter Spike…she’s gorgeous.”

“Thank you.” Spike walked over to Buffy and put one arm around her, and rested the other one on her belly. “Got another one on the way too. Hoping for a boy this time.” Spike lovingly rubbed Buffy’s belly, which caused her to giggle. “I hate to cut this short but I’m suppose to be bringing Maddison to Joyce’s for the day. How long are you planning on staying in Sunnydale?” Spike asked.

“Well I’m thinking about staying for a week or so. Cordy’s putting me up so I don’t have to stay in a hotel.” Angel explained.

“Well don’t be a stranger, alright? Stop by…have dinner with us. It’s been too long, Angel.” Spike mentioned seriously. He had really missed his friend and was glad that he was back, even for a little while.

Angel smiled happily. “I will…there’s a lot we need to catch up on.” Spike walked over to Angel and gave him a friendly hug and a pat on the back.

When the two pulled away Spike said goodbye to his friend and gave his wife a kiss. “I’ll be back in a bit alright? I’ll bring something home for dinner, okay.”

Buffy waved her hand in dismissal. “You don’t have to…I’ll whip something up.” She moved towards the fridge but was stopped by Spike.

“Oh no you don’t. You…are going to rest and relax all day. You shouldn’t be up on your feet all day.” Spike commented seating her on the stool by the island.

His wife rolled her eyes at him and smiled at Angel. “Baby, I’m only three months pregnant, I won’t be immobile for another four more months. I’m fine…remember, I have done this before.” Buffy smiled lovingly at her husband. He was so sweet always making sure she was as comfortable as she could be.

“Okay, okay.” The platinum blonde put his hands in the air in a way of surrender. “Take care, I love you.” Another kiss.

“I love you too.” Spike went into the living room to get Maddi, and brought her into the kitchen, holding her in his arms. “Bye baby doll. I’ll see you later tonight okay?”

“Mmk.” Maddi gave her mother a kiss, and then reached down to touch her belly. “Bye-bye baby.” She said to the bump. Spike lowered her to the ground and the little girl gave her unborn sibling a kiss as well.

Angel watched as all this happened and couldn’t keep the happy smile off his face. Things worked out nicely. They looked like a happy family. Something he had always wanted Buffy to have. Mind you he was hoping he would have been in that picture but he was at a good part in his life right now. His career was going great…there was someone he was seeing back home and he finally got to reconcile with his friends.

As Spike and her daughter left, Buffy turned to Angel who was getting ready to head out himself. “You know you’re welcome to hang out here for a while. It could give us a chance to talk some more.” Buffy threw him that 100-watt smile that got him every time, and couldn’t say no.

“Thanks.” Angel smiled back and watched as Buffy hopped down off the stool and walked into the living room and motioning him to follow her in. He watched as she bent over to pick up Maddison’s toys, which were scattered on the floor. She placed them in a big trunk that was up against the far wall, and then plopped down on the couch. Angel sat down beside her much like they did the last time he was here telling them he was leaving. Only this time the tension was gone and not as far apart.

“So how’s New York?” she asked running a hand through her hair.

Angel sighed and turned to her. “It’s great! I mean it’s definitely not California, but I’m having a lot of fun there. Works great…I’m seeing someone now, and everything is going pretty good.”

“Well I’m happy for you. So who’s this girl? Wait it is a girl right…you haven’t changed that much since you left, did you?” Buffy asked with curious eyes.

Angel laughed; a little bit of red tingeing his cheeks. “No…not that much. Her name’s Darla. We’ve been together for a few months now.” Angel gave Buffy the once over and smiled. “You…you’ve changed. A lot since the last time I saw you.”

Buffy leaned over and playfully smacked his leg. “I have not!”

“Yes you have! You…I don’t know. You glow. I can see how happy you are with Spike. I’m glad that you two worked out. You two are perfect for each other.” Angel observed. “I know we had some hard times when we were together…and part of me knew that you and Spike deserved each other, but I didn’t want to let you go.” The brunette claimed bowing his head.

Buffy placed a hand on Angel’s knee in a comforting gesture. “Angel, I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. You knew the past I had with Spike. He was my first love…he stole part of my heart, and when I left for Chicago I guess I never got it back. I never lied to you, Angel. I did love you.” Buffy said looking her ex boyfriend in the eye.

“But just not enough. Don’t try to deny it Buff…I’m not mad at you. Our relationship was pretty rocky, and Spike was always there for you. He made things better when I couldn’t.” Angel gave her a watery smile. He still loved her…of course he did. But he was ready to give her up…let her go finally. “I just have one question: If Spike wasn’t around like he was…do you think we could have worked?” he asked mainly out of curiosity.

“I don’t think so.” She said sadly. “I would have known that I belonged with him. I mean what we had was good. It was good enough for then…but-”

“You’re so much more than good enough, Buffy. And if Spike is the one for you then I’m happy…for both of you.” Angel smiled and the two hugged.

“Thank you. And I hope you find the happiness with Darla, or whoever it turns out to be, as I have with Spike. You deserve it.” Buffy said pulling back to look at Angel.

“You know…I’m kinda glad I’m home.” Angel stated with a bright smile.


A/N: soo what do you think? please leave a review!