Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: hey guys…wow so long since I last updated. I really didn’t know where I wanted to go with thins but I figured out another chapter…this might be the last one or the second to last one…but I know I have to finish it soon. Hope you enjoy! By the way this chapter is going back to high school, taking place a week after Buffy’s embarrassing moment in front of the school.
Chapter 14: Thinking Back

It had been a week since Buffy was completely humiliated in front of the whole school, and a week since her and Spike started becoming friends. He made it easier for her to go to school by picking her up and walking through the doors with her while she got critical looks from the students around her. Drusilla hadn’t stopped her harassment there. She made sure to tell everyone that was known for gossiping about how she stole Lindsey from her, and how upset and heartbroken she was about it. And of course everyone took the side of the lying bitch and death glares were shot at the girl who just had her life ruined.

Spike and Buffy sat on the bleachers and watched the football practice that was taking place. Angel was playing and they both wanted to show their support. Spike had been hanging out with the small group of friends for a few days now and was really starting to like them.

He felt bad because even though he saw what Drusilla did to Buffy…he still liked her. She had this thing about her that made her seem too innocent to that big of a bitch. While he was in a class without Buffy Drusilla had sat beside him and explained how sorry she was about everything and that she really adored him.

“You still like her, don’t you?” Buffy asked him, her eyes still on the game.

Spike was shaken out his reverie with her words. “What?”

“It’s okay, Spike.” She finally looked over at him. “I get it…there’s just something about her.” She stated bitterly. “That’s how she stole Ford from me in freshman year. He started the year with me…and ended it with her.”

Spike took a deep breath. “I’m sorry Buffy…but I can’t help what I feel.” He hoped she wouldn’t hate him for this.

“I know…look it’s okay. I won’t hold it against you.” She sent him a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes. “If you want to be with her, go.” She nodded in the direction of Drusilla, where she was standing on the other side of the field cheering on the football players with her pack of skanks. “There’s nothing I can do to stop you…” but I wish there was…

Spike stood giving Buffy one last look, and giving her a kiss on the cheek. He jogged down the bleachers and across the field towards the pale skinned brunette. Buffy watched him go, and watched as a bright smile lit up Drusilla’s face when he walked over. She threw her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately…giving Buffy a look of victory from across the playing field. Linking her hand with his she dragged him off of campus.

Cordy walked up the bleachers and parked herself next to her blonde friend. “Forget him. If he chose her over you…then he’s not even worth it.” She stated, trying to lighten her friend up.

“Yeah…I guess you’re right.” Buffy agreed without much belief in the words.

“C’mon.” Cordy stood up and pulled Buffy with her. “I think a night of pampering is in order. Sleepover? My house? Extra cheesy pizza?” Cordelia asked with enthusiasm.

That made Buffy smile. “Yeah…that’d be great.” The two walked back to the school and finished off the day before heading to Cordelia’s.


3 long months later

Things had gotten back to normal at school, Buffy, Cordy, Angel, Willow and Xander still as close as ever. Buffy and Spike spoke every once in a while: tried to become friends even though him and Drusilla had started a serious relationship. He claimed to be devoted to her, and even though it broken Buffy’s heart, since her little crush three months ago had turned into full on love for him, she tried to stay happy for him, and be the friend he needed.

While Buffy was lost in her feelings for Spike, she was completely oblivious of the signals that Angel had been sending her way.

She seemed to be the only one that didn’t see it. Cordy observed as Angel gazed at Buffy lovingly while she spoke about her weekend to the group during lunch. She kicked her brother under the table. When he jerked, and looked towards her, she mouthed: ‘obvious much?’ he just rolled his eyes and glanced down at his lunch.

Everyone’s eyes rose at the shrieking that echoed in the cafeteria. Drusilla stormed in, with Spike following her yelling about her being unfaithful, and he claiming it was his fault. Buffy felt for him…she knew it would come to this because it always did. Drusilla exited the cafeteria stating that she needed some air, and left Spike to stand there with the whole school looking at him. Buffy and him made eye contact for a moment before he stormed out of the school.

* * * * *

It was about 12:30 in the morning and Buffy was just tucking herself into bed. She had tried to sleep earlier but for some reason it wouldn’t come. She cuddled herself into the blanket, and closed her eyes only to have them shot open again seconds later when she heard the tapping on her window.

Frowning, she got out of bed and opened her window to find Spike on the other side. “Spike? What are you doing here…it’s past midnight.” She let him in and closed the window behind him.

He took a look around her room for the first time and smiled. It suited her. “You know I’ve never been here before.” He stated.

“Well…we don’t hang out all that much anymore.” Buffy said looking down at her hands.

Spike walked towards Buffy until he stood in front her. “I know and I’m sorry. I missed having you around, I just got so consumed with Drusilla I forgot about everything else.” He explained.
“I noticed.” Buffy walked around him and sat on her bed. “So why are you here?” the blonde asked again.

Spike came and sat down next to her. “Me and Dru are on the outs. I’m sure you saw all the bloody commotion at lunch…anyway I needed a friend. And you were the only one I wanted to talk to.” He looked at her with pleading eyes, hoping she wouldn’t turn him away.

Buffy smiled. “Well…you came to the right place.” Spike smiled wide and pulled her into a tight hug. The two talked for the next couple hours and fell asleep around three o’clock. It slipped their minds that they had school the next day and they had to wake up in a few more hours.

But Buffy didn’t care. Spike and her were talking again…and that gave her hope. She fell asleep with a smile on her face that night.



A/N: please review!!!!