Author's Chapter Notes:
PLEASE READ THE AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER
Chapter 15: Fluttery Feelings

The next day at school was much better than usual. Buffy and Spike had walked in together, and had lunch with her and her friends. Spike spotted Drusilla from across the cafeteria and his heart clenched. She was hanging all over some oaf on the football team, rubbing salt into the wound. Spike knew that she was doing it just to piss him off…because she wanted to get under his skin. And it was working, but he was the one that said they needed a break so he shouldn’t let it bother him.

Last night when he spoke with Buffy, he felt something different…something he hadn’t felt since he first started dating Drusilla: happiness. She made him laugh and gave him this fluttery feeling in his stomach every time Buffy smiled at him.

He wasn’t going to lie to himself; she was beautiful! He glanced at her as she talked enthusiastically with her friends. There go those bloody butterflies again. He was shaken out of his reverie when he heard her voice.

“Spike? Hey…you okay? You kinda zoned out.” the blonde looked at him with concern in her eyes.

“Yeah…yeah, I’m fine. I was just doing some thinking, pet.” He replied, evasively.

Buffy felt her cheeks redden at his term of endearment. She found it getting harder and harder being around him, and trying to resist the urge to jump him. He was just so sexy with the swagger and the accent. Yummy!

“So anyway…” Cordelia piped up. “I’m having a party on Friday night and I’m expecting you all to be there. Pretty much the whole school is going.” When Buffy shot her a look, Cordy quickly added. “Except Drusilla…no offence Spike, but she’s just too much drama for us.” She gave the bleach blonde a sad smile.

“Hey, don’t worry about it. I wouldn’t want to see her there anyway. We’re kinda on a break right now.” Spike announced.

“That’s great!” Cordy exclaimed smiling brightly at Buffy. When her friend’s eyes widened in shock, she toned it down a bit. “I mean…I’m sorry.” She corrected without much conviction.

All he could do was laugh. “That’s fine. I know you all aren’t very fond of her.”

“That would be an understatement.” Angel commented. He was noticing the way Buffy was looking at Spike lately and it hurt. He had always had really strong feelings for Buffy but all she ever thought of him was as a friend. His sister was the only one that knew about his feelings, but reduced it down to nothing but a crush. But it was more than that…much more.

* * * * *

During their next class, Spike took his spot next to Buffy. “You’re gonna be going to Cordy’s party right?” Spike asked nonchalantly, but it came out a little nervous.

Buffy looked over at him curiously. “I don’t know…I might. I mean I know she wants me to go, but I don’t know if I want to deal with all the drama-rama that comes with high school parties. Why?”

Spike looked down shyly, “Well I don’t know I guess I was just wondering if you were going, because…well I kinda want to go, but I don’t really know your friends all that much and I have this weird feeling that Angel doesn’t like me, and I’d feel a little more comfortable if you were there.” Spike finished finally looking up at her.

A sly smile grew on Buffy’s face. “Are you trying to ask me to go to the party with you?”

“Well…yes. But only if you want to go, I mean I won’t force you to-”

“Okay.” She stated simply.

“Okay?” he repeated as if he didn’t hear her right.

“Yes, I’ll go with you.” The teacher walked through the door, and began the class. “Pick me up at eight.” She whispered as she leaned across the isle to Spike’s desk, not wanting to get caught by the teacher. The two smiled at each other and then got to work, sharing little glances every once in a while.

Drusilla saw this and inside steamed.

* * * * *

Friday came around fast, and now the nervousness was building up in Buffy. Spike was finally asking her out and her nerves were getting the best of her. After school, the blonde quickly made her way home and filtered through her closet for something to wear that night. After about thirty minutes of searching, she finally settled on a navy blue, quarter sleeve-length, off the shoulder sweater that clung to her frame, and a dark jean mini skirt. She let her golden locks hang about her shoulders in loose curls, and slipped on her 4-inch strappy black heels. Her make up was natural, and then she applied her clear lip-gloss. After looking over herself in the mirror quickly she headed down the stairs to wait for her date to arrive.

Spike sat inside his car, resting his hand on the steering wheel. He was parked in the driveway of Buffy’s house, and surely she was waiting for him to come pick her up, but he just couldn’t seem to get out of the car. He was nervous, plain and simple and that did not happen very often. There was something about Buffy that made him weak in the knees. Every time she smiled at him he felt his insides warm. Taking a deep breath, Spike got out of the car, and headed towards her door.

When Buffy heard the doorbell ring she felt her heart jump into her throat. Smoothing down her shirt and skirt, she walked to the door and opened it to find a God on the other side. Her date was dressed in black jeans, and instead of his usual black shirt, he opted for a dark blue button-up with the first few buttons undone so you could see the white beater underneath. He had also switched up his leather duster for a shorter black leather jacket that hung just past his waist. His hair was not slicked back, but instead let loose in unruly curls.

When Spike first caught a look of his date for the night he felt his knees buckle a little. And there go the warm tingly feelings. he said to himself. She looked beautiful; a vision he’d never forget with her golden hair cascading over her shoulders like a waterfall, the smile that seemed to light up the whole room, and the way her eyes shone with excitement.

“Hey, pet. You look gorgeous.” Ignoring his nervousness, he reached for her hand and placed a gently kiss on the back of it.

“Thank you…you look pretty good yourself.” She replied, blushing as her stomach fluttered with butterflies.

“You ready to go?” he asked.

“Yeah, just let me grab my purse.” Buffy grabbed the small black purse hanging on the banister at the end of the stairs.

Buffy closed the door behind her and locked it, before heading down the driveway to Spike’s car. Before Buffy could do it herself, Spike opened her door for her with a smile and got in on his side was she was seated and they were on their way to Cordelia’s party.




A/N: sooo sorry for the late update, but I’ve been doing a lot of play writing for my school and I barely have any time to myself anymore. Anyways I wanted to mention for those that haven’t caught on, I’m bringing this story back to the past just to explain some things…I think I’ll flash back and forth every few chapters just to tie up some loose ends. So the next chapter will be at Cordy's party, and I can promise you a confrontation *cough cough* ANGEL/SPIKE *cough cough* (obvious much?) I don’t know how much longer this fic will go on for but I hope you stick with me to the end. I love you all!!!! Thanks for all your support, and I’ll try and update again soon.