Author's Chapter Notes:
this is a flashback...i'm going to post two chapters today because ch. 2 and 3 go together...thank you so much for you're reviews i love you!!!!!
Chapter 2: Give Me A Reason

4 Years earlier

19-year-old Buffy looked around her half empty dorm room. Her bed, dresser and nightstand were all cleared off, and packed away in her SUV in the parking lot of Sunnydale University.

Her roommate Willow walked up beside her. “Are you sure you wanna do this, Buffy? I mean why don’t you just stay, at least till the end of the year. Chicago will still be there.” She said cheerfully in hopes her best friend would stay longer.

“Yeah, but the question is, ‘will my dad still be there’? He’s always on the road, and if I can catch him here, then maybe he’ll let me travel with him for a while.” Buffy pulled her key out of her pocket, and handed it to Willow. “Take care, Wills.” She pulled her into a tight hug. “I promise I’ll call everyday.” Willow only hugged tighter. “Aww, its just gunna be for a few months, a year at most.” Willow, again, squeezed tighter. “Um, Will’s? Honey…finding it hard to breath here, and you’re not making it any easier.” Buffy choked out.

Willow pulled away quickly, and her friend’s declaration. “I’m sorry, Buff…it’s just-after living with you for so long, its gunna be hard with you not being around anymore. I’m just gunna miss you so much. And all the things you used to do…you know like, when you wake up before me, and leave little chocolates on my pillow before you go out…or how you always get a two tubs of Chunky Monkey, ‘Steel Magnolia’ and a box of Kleenex for our ‘Girl’s night in’, and what about when me, you and Xander play ‘Anywhere but here’ and you always chose Johnny Depp, on the beach just after sunset. And Xander would always say something about Cordelia Chase and make-out point, and I would always say, Quote: ‘I think I’m perfectly content with where I am right now.’ End quote. It’s was like-like our little routine, and it wouldn’t be a routine anymore if you weren’t in it.” Willow finished her tirade with a small pout.

“I know. But we’ll pick up right where we left off when I get back, I promise.” Buffy rubbed her friend’s arm reassuringly.

“Does Spike know you’re leaving yet?”

Buffy took a deep breath, before shaking her head. “No. If I tell him, he’ll try and stop me from leaving, and that’s not of the good.”

“He’s gunna wanna know, Buff. I mean I know some bad stuff happened between you two, but he still cares.” Willow said with a concerned look on her face. She knew that when Spike found out Buffy left, she was the first person he was going to run to, to find out where she was.

“And I still care about him, it’s just-I can’t be here right know, Wills. It’s too hard. We can’t be together, it just wasn’t meant to be, okay. Maybe one day…when we’re old n’ gray and walking with canes, maybe we’ll be together. But I’ll tell ya this: it’s not happening anytime soon.” That’s what she said, but she didn’t really think it. She wished it would happen soon.

Buffy picked up her purse and walked to the door. “I’ll see you, Wills. Tell everyone I said bye…except Spike!” she finished with a pointed finger and a stern look.

“Cross my heart.” She promised making a cross over her heart, as she crossed her fingers on her other hand, behind her back.

Buffy walked out the door, after giving her friend one more quick hug.

Once the door was closed behind her, Willow let out a sigh. “I gotta call Spike.”

* * * * *

About half an hour later Buffy waited at the airport. Her mom and sister had just dropped her off, with promises to keep in contact everyday.

Once she arrived, the flight information board had confirmed in bold red lights, that her flight was delayed…by an hour! She didn’t know what happened and she didn’t care, she just wanted to get on the damn plane.

Buffy already called her dad, telling him she was going to be coming in an hour later than usual, and that she would just call a cab to his place when she came in.

Not knowing what else to do with her hour, she walked over the coffee shop to get something to drink, and some food. No way in hell I’m eatin the food on the plane. She placed her bags down and sat at a little round table. Sighing she strummed her fingers on the table as she waited for the waitress to take her order.

* * * * *

“What do you mean, ‘Buffy’s leaving Sunnydale’?” Spike yelled as he paced the floor of Willow’s dorm room.

“Um, I think I was pretty clear with the Buffy and the leaving of Sunnydale. She’s going to Chicago, Spike, to see her dad. She didn’t want me to tell you but I couldn’t let her leave without you knowing.” Willow sat on the edge of her bed, watching Spike pace the floor.

“How long is she gone for? A week, two, maybe three?” Spike asked in a desperate voice, stopping his pacing to wait for Willow’s answer.

“A year.” She replied nonchalantly, hoping Spike wouldn’t catch onto how long that was in the midst of his freaking out.

“A YEAR?! She’s gunna be gone for a bloody year?!” Spike shouted out, causing Willow’s head to pop up and watch as he resumed his pacing. “Are you sure she said a year?”

“Yes! She said a few months, a year at most. So stop pacing, you’ll wear a hole in the floor. Plus you’re making me very dizzy! Look, she’s at the airport right now and her plane should be leaving in…” Willow leaned over and looked at the alarm clock on her nightstand. “…30 minutes. I just checked the flight schedule on the website, it said her flight was delayed an hour.”

The two stayed silent in the room. Neither moving.

“Well? What are you waiting for you butthead? Go!” Willow shooed him out of her room, and he ran out to his car, on his way to the airport.

“He better come back with a Buffy for me.” Willow mumbled as she sat back on her bed and started to flip through a magazine sitting on her nightstand.

* * * * *

Buffy looked at her watch. She had around 10 minutes until they started calling people for her flight. She stood up and pulled her bags with her to the waiting area for her flight.

She didn’t know what it was but something told her to look at the main room. When she did, she saw a flash of bleached hair and leather. Spike.

When the crowd cleared a little, she noticed it was, indeed, Spike. He looked down at a piece of paper in his hand, and then looked up at the sign above him. Confirming this was the place he was searching for; he walked further in its direction…and towards her.

Buffy eyes widened as he came to stand in front of her.

“When were you gonna tell me you were leaving?” Spike asked in an angry tone.

“Sometime between after I got off the plane and never.” Buffy retorted in all seriousness. She wasn’t joking. She was very serious about not telling Spike she left. If he were smart he’d figure it out eventually. Which brings me to… “How did you know I was here?” she asked with a sigh.

“Willow told me.”

“Damn it, Willow.” Buffy mumbled under her breath. She went to turn around but Spike grabbed her arm and stopped her.

“Why didn’t you tell me, Buffy?”

“Because I knew you would do this. You’d come here and try to stop me, and I couldn’t let that happen. Now let me go.”

“No! Buffy, I’m not letting you leave. You can’t…so things didn’t exactly work out well between us, but it doesn’t mean you have to leave.” Spike pleaded with her, still holding her arm.

“I can’t be here Spike. It’s hard to see you and know that I can’t have you. That someone else got there first.” Buffy gently pulled her arm out of his grasp.

“I’m not with Dru anymore. We’re over.”

“But you still love her!” she said with exasperation. “You still love her. And I don’t know if I can deal with that.” She finished in a more calm tone.

“FIRST CALL. NOW BOARDING PASSENGERS TO FLIGHT 546 TO CHICAGO AT GATE 4. PASSENGERS TO FLIGHT 546 TO CHICAGO AT GATE 4, PLEASE.” The intercom blared out.

“That’s me.” Her voice was quiet and sad. “I gotta go.”

“Please don’t leave.” Spike’s voice was just as quiet and sad. “Please.”

Buffy took a deep breath. “Give me a reason, Spike. Give me a reason to stay and I will.”

Spike looked at her with an intense gaze, but he couldn’t seem to say what was waiting to be let out from the barrier behind his lips.

The silence was killing her and she was waiting for something…anything to happen.

“LAST CALL FOR FLIGHT 546 TO CHICAGO. PLEASE GO TO GATE 4.”

Not the ‘something’ I wanted but I guess I have my answer. Tears filled her eyes, as she let out a deep breath. She managed a small smile. She leaned in and gave him a soft peck on the lips. She pulled back slightly her lips centimeters from his. “Goodbye, William.” Her voice was filled with emotion and sorrow.

She pulled away fully to look at his face. She placed a hand to his cheek. Smiled, and then walked away to her gate, bags in hand.

Spike watched her walk away with a stunned look on his face. She was leaving. Buffy was leaving. Buffy was leaving him. Once the truth hit him as hard as a bag of bricks, Spike couldn’t stop the tears that built up in his eyes.

Buffy handed the flight attendant her ticket, and walked on the stretch hallway to the plane. She wiped the tears that streaked her cheeks, and walked to her seat.

Buffy leaned her head back on the seat, and closed her eyes, letting the pain in her heart take over her, and the tears wash away all hope of ever being with Spike.