Author's Chapter Notes:
He...so this chapter is pretty long...i thought i owed it to you guys.
Chapter 21: Brave Like Soldiers

Buffy found herself looking out the window at the big city from her father’s penthouse apartment. This definitely wasn’t Sunnydale. She had been here for a month already, and her last encounter with Spike kept ringing in her ears. She would try to shake it off but to no avail she would dream of that meeting going differently. Like he would give her the reason she needed and sweep her up in his arms and take her home, her flight forgotten. But unfortunately life wasn’t how it is in the movies and story tales and she was left with the short end of the stick again.

She currently had the whole penthouse to herself. Hank had left town for a couple of days for business and Buffy was finding herself more lonely as the days went on. She was enjoying not having to deal with the outside world, but she missed her friends and family. Buffy sighed dramatically and left the wall sized window to throw herself on her king size bed.

Buffy almost fell asleep, then the shrill ringing of the phone woke her up and she answered it with a bored ‘hello’.

Her and Willow had been talking at least once or twice a week, Buffy knew the phone bill would suck but it was worth hearing a voice from home. The red head would update the blonde on all the new happenings around Sunnydale; and as Buffy requested, nothing about the ‘Bleached Bad-Boy, English Pest of Doom.’ She would once in a while hear from Angel too…he was still trying to prove himself to her apparently.

Only a few months left here before it was back to California and Buffy was wondering what things would be like once she got back. Would they be the same? Or totally different? Should she prepare herself for the worst? She didn’t know…the most she could do was wait, and hope there were no big surprises waiting for her when she got back.

* * * * *

Five long months later…

This was her last week in Chicago and Buffy began packing up the rest of her belongings. She went shopping a lot thanks to daddy’s no limit credit card, and was having a hard time fitting everything into her bags. Maybe I should buy another bag? she thought to herself.

Walking the main strip, bags in hand and a smile on her face, she headed back to the penthouse. Her phone rang so she pulled it out of her purse and answered it with cheer.

“Hello?” You could almost hear the smile on her face. Shopping always made her happy.

“Oh hey Cordy…I know it’s been a while, but I’m back in town in a week.” she waited as her friend started to speak.

“So how was the trip? Did it feel good to get away?” Cordelia asked as she filed her nails.

“Oh yeah!” Buffy let the doorman of the high-rise open the door for her and call the elevator for her. “Did some much needed shopping, some soul searching, and I definitely feel better.” she pushed the PH button and waited as the elevator took the long climb up to the top level.

“That’s good. Angel told me that he’s picking you up at the airport. How are things going with him?” the brunette asked excitedly.

Buffy sighed. “Okay…we’ve been talking lots. Don’t tell him but I’m ready now. I decided that I made him wait long enough. I’ve gotten over Spike and I’m ready to move on.” Buffy said proud of herself. It took her five months but she did it, and she was glad that she bounced back the way she did…not jaded and wiser than before.

Cordy’s eyes raised in surprise. “Really? You’re over him…like really over him?” she asked unsure.

The blonde on the other line laughed as she stepped out of the lift and into her living room. “Yes…I know it sounds funny me saying that, but I totally am and I couldn’t feel any better about it!” she stated cheerfully.

“Sooo…it wouldn’t bother you to see him with anyone then?”

“Nope! Not at all…that’s the best part. You could tell me that him and Drusilla were back together and having babies and I would be A-okay. Talk about major progress.” Buffy giggled.

“Well they aren’t. They are baby free. Drusilla ended up going back to England actually. Something about her parents wanting her to go to Oxford. Anyway UCLA has been much brighter since she left.” Cordelia paused for a minute, finding a way to say this to Buffy. “Um, I hope you don’t mind…but Spike has kind of turned into a good friend. You know since we both don’t know anyone at school. We’ve been hanging out a lot lately…does that bother you?” the brunette bit her lip waiting for her friend to say something.

Buffy frowned. “No…not at all that’s fine. Why would that bother me…over him remember?” she laughed, easing her friends worries. It did cross Buffy’s mind that maybe her friend had feelings for the bleached wonder…but the chances of it becoming anything more were slim. And if it did she could deal with it right?

Cordy sighed in relief. “Oh…well I was just checking. But listen I have to go…see you when you get back?” The two said their goodbyes, and hung up the phone. Cordelia picked up the phone after she hung up and dialed a local number. “Hey Spike…I was wondering if you maybe wanted to meet up for lunch tomorrow between classes?” she smiled. “Actually your right…dinner is better. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” she fell back onto her bed and sighed. I hope she doesn’t hate me. she thought to herself. Cordy always had a bit of a crush on Spike and now she could see if it could go anywhere. But she knew that if Buffy really had a problem with it she would back off. But she really hoped she didn’t have to.

* * * * *

As Buffy came to the Arrival section of LAX, she looked around for the familiar tall brunette. When she spotted him she ran over and dropped her bags at their feet and leaped into his arms. To say he was surprised was an understatement, but he held her tight. She smiled at him and gently placed a kiss on his lips.

After a few minutes he put her down, and he grabbed her bags for her…with her practically attached to his hip. Angel had changed in the few months she was gone. His chest was broader, like he had been hitting the gym more, and his eyes held a little more experience than before, but he was just as handsome as before if not more so.

She could see him sticking around…Angel was the long haul guy. A quick relationship formed between them, and Buffy found herself happier than she had been in a while. Angel had already told her of his love after a month and although he knew she couldn’t say it back yet, he needed her to know.

Also, Cordy and Spike had started a tentative relationship as well, and Buffy was finding herself okay with it. She was with Angel now and he was all she needed. After some time the four had even forgotten the almost-relationship between the blondes, and had even started a friendship again; hatchets buried.

* * * * *

The two couples gathered at the Bronze the night of their graduation. University finally done was cause for a celebration. They picked out their usual table and waited for their other friends to get there.

Being back at the Bronze brought back memories for everyone, making the little reunion even more fun. Cordy and Angel went up to the bar to go grab drinks while they waiting for everyone else, leaving Buffy and Spike at the table together. They were in the middle of a conversation about school when a familiar song came on.

FLASHBACK

Being on a break with Drusilla left Spike a lot more time to himself…except he would rather spend that time with Buffy. They were becoming good friends, and a trip to the Bronze would happen once a week at least.

They would dance and drink, talk about silly things and really enjoy themselves…and this time was no different. After a particularly fast song, the music blended into something a little slower. The bleat started up and the two blondes looked at each other awkwardly before coming together. Buffy put her arms around his neck, and he placed his gently on her waist.

We were drawn from the weeds
We were brave like soldiers
Falling down under the pale moonlight


END FLASHBACK

When the first few chords were played the two looked at each other and smiled.

Buffy was shocked when Spike stood up in front of her. “This was the first song we ever danced to…since we’re taking trips down memory lane it only seems fitting, doesn’t it?” he pulled Buffy up and towards the dance floor, falling into the familiar embrace, only this time they held each other a little closer.

You were holding to me
Like a someone broken
And I couldn't tell you but I'm telling you now
Just let me hold you while you're falling apart
Just let me hold you and we'll both fall down

Fall on me
Tell me everything you want me to be
Forever with you forever in me
Ever the same


It was hard to keep their emotions in check when they were this close. Spike couldn’t deny that some feelings were coming back now that she was in his arms…but he ignored them for the sake of Angel and Cordy.

We would stand in the wind
We were free like water
Flowing down
Under the warmth of the sun
Now it's cold and we're scared
And we've both been shaken
Hey, look at us
Man, this doesn't need to be the end


Angel and Cordy finally got their drinks. Because it was a Friday it was pretty busy. The siblings made their way back to the table both hands carrying drinks, when they noticed Buffy and spike missing.

“Where’d they go?” Angel asked. He put down the drinks and scanned the area.

“Um…Angel?” When she had his attention she pointed them out on the dance floor, slowly moving to the beat. Anyone else but them would think they were the cutest couple.

Angel tried to keep his anger in, and not pummel his friend to the ground. His sister’s voice shook him out of his daze.

“Angel…it’s okay. It’s just a dance.”

Just let me hold you while you're falling apart
Just let me hold you and we'll both fall down


But something told him this would be more than that. And he braced himself for what was ahead. Cordy suggested to just let them dance until the song was over, and not to make a big deal of something that was nothing. She was with him now…and that’s all that mattered.

Fall on me tell me everything you want me to be
Forever with you
Forever in me
Ever the same
Call on me
I'll be there for you and you'll be there for me
Forever it's you
Forever in me
Ever the same

You may need me there
To carry all your weight
But you're no burden I assure
You tide me over
With a warmth I'll not forget
But I can only give you love

Fall on me tell me everything you want me to be
Forever with you
Forever in me
Ever the same
Call on me
I'll be there for you and you'll be there for me
Forever it's you
Forever in me
Ever the same

Forever with you
Forever in me
Ever the same


Buffy and Spike were thinking the same thing. Maybe not today…maybe not tomorrow. Maybe not even in a year…but one day. Until then we have this…we have this song…we have these feelings…ever the same.


Chapter End Notes:
If you liked it, please review and prove it!!! should i continue???