Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you're still enjoying this. I'm writing it by the day, so it really is what comes up in my mind at the time! I have no real ideas yet how it's going to be.
Chapter 2


Buffy woke up the next day with a strange feeling in her stomach. She lay in bed for a few minutes rethinking what had happened the night before. When she finally had accepted her fait of being the chosen one, and after fighting her big battle with the master, another challenge crossed her path. Of course it wasn’t necessarily a challenge as such because she didn’t have to fight this vampire. But a challenge in the way that she had no idea what to expect from this whole situation. And it annoyed her dearly.

She got out of bed and got ready for school, wearing her usual attire of a short skirt, a fancy colored top and knee high boots.

“Buffy honey, are you ready for school? I can drop you of on my way to the gallery.” Her mother Joyce called from downstairs.

“Yes mom, thanks. I’ll be down in five minutes.”

Adding the finishing touches to her make up and putting on her perfume, she grabbed her bag and walked down the stairs where her mother was already waiting for her.

“You are looking nice today. Anyone special should know about?” her mother asked her as they got in the car.

Buffy looked out of the window before answering. “No mom. You have nothing to worry about.”

“I’m not worried honey, you are at that age that boys become more interesting. Believe me I know.”

“Mom! So not that I wanted to hear.”

Her mom chuckled at that. “Nothing to be ashamed off, I was young once too.”

“Right. Anyway mom, there is no boy who I fancy.” More like a 120 year old man that currently has me intrigued is all, she thought to herself.

She thanked her mom when they got to the school and made her way into her school building walking straight towards the library to visit her watcher.

“Hey Giles.”

“Buffy! How are you?”

“I’m ok, considering.” Buffy frowned.

“Yes, of course…”

Buffy sat down on a chair at the desk they usually sat at while doing their research. She dropped her bag on the table and sat back, eyes fixed on Giles who was standing at the register.

“Did you know this was going to happen, that he was going to show up?” She looked at Giles accusingly; feeling betrayed that he’d kept this from her.

“I wasn’t sure. He doesn’t visit all the slayers. It depends on how far they’ve come themselves already, before they send for him. Spike will not be summoned if the Slayer in question has not proven that she can already hold herself in a difficult fight. Your fight with the master must have been enough proof to the Powers, to send for Spike.”

“And now he’s here to help me.”

“Well, yes.” Giles was silent. “I don’t know what he’s going to do exactly. But I would like to ask you to work with him, and not against him. I know you don’t like the Counsel. But Spike goes beyond that. I don’t think he really fancies the council himself.”

Buffy couldn’t help but grin at that. She would like to see Spike give the council a piece of his mind.

“I can’t make any promises Giles, but I’ll do my best,” she replied and got up to go to her first class.

“I will be back after school for training.” She said before she disappeared through the doors.


xxxxx


“Hey Willow, how was the Bronze yesterday?” Buffy asked as she sat down next to her friend during their lunch period. They were sitting in the cafeteria enjoying the wonders of cafeteria food. Or as much as it could be enjoyed, because Willow just then pulled a face when she took a bite of her sausage. Buffy so wasn’t going to try that.

“It was great. Dingoes ate my baby played. I think the bass player is cute.” Willow blushed.

“Willow! Are you becoming a groupie?” Buffy teased her friend.

“Who’s becoming a groupie?” Xander asked as he sat down next to Buffy at their table.

“Willow fancies the bassist of Dingoes Ate My Baby.” Buffy replied before Willow could intervene, which caused her to blush even more.

“Wow Wills, never knew you would be that kind of girl.” Xander grinned before stealing her sausage and happily started munching on it. Both Buffy and Willow looked at him waiting for him to throw it back at her plate, but he continued to eat until it was all gone.

“So Buff, how was your night then. Fight any big nasties?” Xander asked now working on a chocolate fudge bar.

“No, didn’t fight any nasties. But I did meet someone.”

“Oh! You met a guy. Buffy met a guy!” Willow exclaimed excitedly, obviously happy she wasn’t alone.

“Well, it’s not really what you think.” Buffy started not sure how to explain the whole thing. “His name’s Spike, he’s 120 years old and he’s a vampire. Well, sort off.” Ok, so not that hard after all.

Her answer was met with silence and when she looked up she saw both her friends gawking at her.

Buffy sighed. “It turns out that there is a vampire out there, created to help Slayers with their duty. Don’t ask me any more, because I don’t know either. All I know is that I met him yesterday, and that Giles knew about this all along.”

“Wow.” Willow finally commented when Buffy finished.

“Yeah, I know. Believe me when I say I wasn’t too happy to find out that Giles knew and never told me. But he said he wasn’t allowed to say anything about this, to not change my judgment about vampires.”

“So you tell me there’s this vampire out there that is supposed to help you? Why would you ever want the help of a vampire? They are disgusting worthless creatures.” Xander interjected clearly not agreeing with what was happening.

“I don’t know Xander. I will have to wait and see.”

Just then the bell rang to tell them their lunch break was over. Each of them went their own way to class, contemplating what Buffy had just said.


xxxxx


Buffy walked into the library after school for her daily training session. What she hadn’t expected was to see Spike talking to Giles when she walked in. She stopped dead in her tracks. The creak of the door as it closed must have alerted the two men, as they stopped talking and turned towards Buffy.

“Ah Buffy, you’re here.”

She simply nodded and walked further into the room, never letting her eyes leave Spike’s face.

“Spike came over to see how your training is going.”

“It’s going good, thanks,” she replied, speaking to Spike.

Spike chuckled at that. “I’m sure it is. Though I would still like to see some of your moves.” He waggled his eyebrows at her suggestively, which caused Buffy to look away when her cheeks reddened.

“I didn’t get to see very much action yesterday. And to be able to judge your current form I will need to see how you fight.”

“What did you have in mind?” Buffy asked, sitting down.

“I’m coming with you on patrol tonight, and I’ll be watching you fight. That’s pretty much it.”

Buffy frowned at that. “So you’re just going to stand there judging my every move?”

She felt his eyes burn hot into hers. What was it with this vampire? She wasn’t supposed to be having any sort of feelings for this creature. Though the way he was looking at her, and making those suggestive comments had her riled up more than she liked.

“I won’t be judging you if that’s how you feel this is going to be like. I need to figure out your fighting style, and how you handle yourself when you face a real live vampire. I can fight you here, which we will be doing as part of your training. But that isn’t the same, as you won’t be faced with a fight that could be the end of your life. Because that is what you do when you fight your vampires. It takes them just one good day to succeed. And I’m here to make sure that day won’t be any time soon.”

Buffy was quiet after that. She knew very well she faced her death on a daily basis, and it wasn’t something she wanted to be reminded of all the time. She was only seventeen years old. That was by far too young to die for anyone.

“I will meet you tonight at your watchers house. Be there at 8.00 PM. I’m not a patient man, and don’t like to be kept waiting.” And with that he walked out of the library, leaving Buffy with her watcher.

Buffy looked up when Giles cleared his throat.

“I’m sure he isn’t that bad Buffy. He just really values his work and doesn’t want anyone to undermine the importance of it.”

“I suppose. Don’t worry Giles. I’ll be there at eight. And we’ll see how it goes from there.”

She got up from her seat and started walking away.

“How is it though that he can be here when it’s still light out?” she asked.

“That is something you will have to ask him about yourself.” Giles replied closing the subject for discussion.

As if things weren’t already weird enough as they were, Buffy headed out of the school building towards her home to do some much needed homework. She may be facing her death every single day, but that didn’t mean they made any exceptions for homework!