Chapter 71 Changes

AN* You know I love you all, don’t you. Thanks for all the reviews. This chapter is for all of you.


##


Angelus could not risk taking Drusilla back to their town house. It would be the first place anyone would look for her, and he needed to keep her out of sight. Instructing the carriage to take them to Catherine’s home in Chelsea, Angelus spoke softly to his wife.

“I need to take you to a safe house, Dru. We can’t use the town house just yet.”

Drusilla had spent the entire time in the carriage crooning to Miss Edith. Her periods of lucidity were becoming less frequent, and in her mind the only constant in her life was the doll. Lifting her head to look at her husband, she smiled at him and tilted her head.

“Where are we going, Liam?”

Inwardly, Angelus heaved a sigh of relief. When she called him ‘Liam’ her state of mind was stable and she would understand what he needed to tell her. It would be best to explain his actions now before another bout of mania set in.

“The runners will come looking for us, sweetheart, which means they will go to the town house first. I have found us a nice place to live until we can bring William back to you.”

At the mention of William’s name, Drusilla started to bounce happily on the seat of the carriage. Angelus wondered if she was about to lose her sanity again, when she spoke.

“What a wonderful idea, Liam. If we live in a new house then William can hide easily from the sunshine.”

He realised her meaning immediately. She had convinced herself that William would need a new rendezvous point to meet her as his wife could easily find their old home. He could see the simplicity of her argument, and he would have to remind himself to look for a small home where they could meet. Drusilla would make sure William paid for the lease thus leaving their finances free; it would be perfect. While Drusilla entertained William, he could bring Darla and the children to London for a visit.

Drusilla watched her husband’s face carefully. She knew by his expression that he was conjuring a plan to help her be with William. He had still not told her their direction, but she did not care. Her Liam would have planned everything perfectly.

He was such a good Daddy.

Angelus, still in his disguise, looked out of the window as the carriage came to a halt. They had drawn up in front of Catherine’s home, and he carefully drew Drusilla’s hood over her face. When he alighted from the carriage, he held his arms aloft waiting for Miss Edith. As Dru passed her down, he cuddled the doll close to his breast as if it were a babe. If one did not know better, one would assume that he was the epitome of fatherhood. Holding the doll carefully in one arm, he handed Drusilla down from the carriage with the other.

The door of the little house opened at their approach. Silently the couple entered the hallway. As the door closed behind them, Angelus handed Miss Edith back into Drusilla’s care. In his eyes, the doll had played her part and was no longer required. It took every ounce of his control not to break its head against the floor.

The butler helped them both remove their outer garments, and led them into the drawing room. He informed his new master that Lady Catherine was engaged with a client at the moment, and would not be available for at least an hour. Angelus nodded his thanks and asked for some refreshment to be brought as soon as possible. Drusilla was still in a lucid state, and they needed to plan. He was not sure how she would take the news that her puppy was most likely on his way to the family seat with his new bride in tow.

Drusilla interrupted his thoughts with a question. “Who is Lady Catherine, Liam?”

Smiling a cold smile, he explained Catherine’s role in their life. Her money making properties were foremost in his explanation, and he was surprised how well Drusilla took the news.

“Liam.” She commented idly. “Are you telling me that you have made Craven’s mistress our whore?”

Angelus and Drusilla looked at one another for a few moments before erupting into laughter. Through their peal of mirth, Angelus explained how he had ‘persuaded’ his new toy to work for him. Dru could hardly contain herself. Craven had hurt her deeply and her Daddy had managed to exact revenge on her behalf. It was almost poetic.

“Oh, I cannot wait to meet her, Liam. Do you think she will use her skills on me?”

He smiled a knowing smile on his wife. “I think that could be arranged, my sweet. I do not think she has ever known the charms of another woman; we must show her the error of her ways.”

Drusilla squealed in delight, and clapped her hands. “Tonight, Liam. I want to use her tonight. Mummy has not had pleasure for so long.” She smiled coyly at her husband’s lecherous smile. They would have fun with their new toy before the night was over.

As the door opened to admit the butler carrying their refreshments, the couple fell silent. Angelus waved the man away, deciding they needed privacy to plan. The butler bowed to his master and took his leave, making sure the door was tightly closed behind him. The man’s new motto was ‘Hear no evil. Speak no evil’. The less he knew, the less he could be questioned about.

Angelus watched the man’s departure with amusement. It was obvious that this new household knew their place, and it pleased him. Craven had chosen his household well.

Drusilla poured the tea, including a cup for Miss Edith. She was waiting patiently for Liam to tell her what they must do next. They had always worked well together, and she was sure he would bring William back to her. In their own way, they both needed him.

Angelus knew he could not put off the bad news much longer. She would have to know of William’s marriage soon. He would have to take the chance that she could see the benefit of his money rather than his person. If he knew his wife, the thrill of taking William away from Elizabeth would make up for the initial loss.

Taking the bull by the horns, he told her of William’s marriage and their flight to the Annandale. He sat back in his chair expecting a manic tirade, and was surprised when there was none. Drusilla smiled back at him and chuckled softly.

“So, my puppy had gone and married his bitch. That is interesting news, my love. Now he will have her money, and I will make sure he gives it all to me. A fitting punishment, I think, for his bad behaviour.”

Sighing aloud in relief that she had taken it so well, Angelus smiled at his wife. While she was happy like this, he could outline his plans.

“We need to take a little trip, sweetheart. I think we need to visit Annandale and bring your puppy home.”

Drusilla sipped her tea genteelly as she contemplated her husband’s words. Carefully placing her cup on a side table, she grinned at her husband.

“Let’s give them a few days grace, Liam. I have a feeling I may enjoy playing with our new toy for a little while. Not long, mind you, as I need my William. Just long enough to make them feel secure and happy.” Leaning forward in her chair, her eyes took on a look that Angelus had never seen before. “A few days to recover from my confinement and have my pleasure, Liam; that is all I ask. When I have had my fill of this Catherine, we will make our way north.”

Angelus looked at his wife with respect. She was a woman whose mind travelled the same path as his, and in her own way she pleased him very much. Darla took care of his love and his children; Drusilla was the one who danced with him in the dark.

What a wonderful pair they made.


##

In Annandale, Thomas and William looked over their transformed house in wonder. Xander had excelled himself with the plans for their home, and every comfort had been thought of. The new plumbing was, without doubt, the biggest improvement and both men had eagerly tried the new bath tub arrangements.

Had Xander not been a Duke, he would make himself rich from improving the ton’s homes.

The only change that Thomas insisted upon was moving Joyce’s bedchamber next to his own. In truth he would gladly share and be damned to propriety, but her name had never been tainted by scandal and he was willing to wait the year to propose marriage. He was not willing to wait a year to bed her, thus her move to the room next to his.

William and Buffy also had adjoining rooms as befitted their marital status. In most tonnish circles, the husband would visit the wife in her chamber when he wished to lie with her. In their case it had become a game to see whose chamber they would lie in each night. By the latest count, Buffy’s bed had been used more often than William’s. Nothing had been planned. She did not go out of her way to win the bedding game. It was merely a case of which room they happened to be in when they kissed ‘Good Night’, as the kiss saw them both tumbling for the nearest bed.

As they continued their tour of the house, Thomas contemplated his son. For the first time since his mother’s death, he believed his son was happy. It was obvious to anyone who met the couple that they were very much in love, and he hoped their happiness would last. It was noticed by everyone how many times the couple sneaked away during the daylight hours to be alone. If Buffy was not breeding by now, it was not for the want of trying.

With this thought in mind, Thomas decided to question his son. “Will, my boy, is Buffy breeding yet?”

William looked at his father in surprise before bursting into laughter. “My God, father, we have only been married a week. Even I know these things take time.”

Thomas shook his head and smiled. “Will, you have been bedding Buffy for a lot longer than one week. In all your time together has she had her monthly courses?”

His laughter stopped abruptly as he contemplated his father’s words. “Why, no, father. Buffy has not bled since the night I took her virginity. There is time yet, father. We have only been fully intimate for a few weeks.” William decided to lighten the mood. “Are you desperate to be a grand-father?”

Smiling back at his son, Thomas thought about his remarks. The thought of grandchildren running around his feet pleased him enormously. He hoped their union would bear fruit soon.

“Yes, Will. I think I am desperate to hear the patter of tiny feet in the house again.”

William smiled back at his father and laid a hand on his shoulder.

“Then I think we better return to the ladies, father, so that I may grant your request.”

Father and son grinned at each other in understanding.


##


Later that evening the whole family, which now included Clem and Faith, were sitting chatting in the drawing room. Earlier in the evening Faith had spoken to Clem, and they had agreed the time had come to tell William of the true nature of Angelus. Talking their strategy through, Clem had told Faith of William’s refusal to believe anything bad of the man. Her disbelief had shown clearly on her face, and Clem had asked her to reserve judgement till she witnessed it for herself.

On hearing Clem speak of William and his reaction to Angelus, a stray memory flittered through her head. Things that had been said between Angelus and Drusilla as she had lain in her haze of pain. The words came back clearly to her now, and she knew that she would keep a tight rein on her tongue until she saw William’s reaction for herself. If she was right in her thinking, they had big obstacles still to overcome.

Clem and Faith wisely waited for Dawn to go to bed before Angelus was mentioned. With a clear concise voice, which hid her inner fears, Faith recounted her time with the couple. There was complete silence in the room as her tale came to its end. Joyce was staring at her with tears in her eyes, taking comfort from Thomas sitting quietly next to her holding her hand. Buffy simply stared at her in horror, while William looked blankly at her in disbelief.

William was the first to break the silence. “What a Canterbury tale, Faith. I do not believe that Angelus and Dru would do such a thing.”

Everyone stared at him in horror. Faith knew at that moment that her suspicions were correct. Clem had not deceived her in how William would react, and now that she had experienced it for herself, she needed to act. If the man did not believe that Angelus would harm him, he was in more danger than any of them realised.

In a gentle voice, Faith spoke to William. “Why do you think I would lie to you, Will?”

A confused look passed over his face. He tried to think of a reply, but none came as he stared at her.

“William,” she continued in her quiet voice. “What do you know of Angelus?”

Every eye in the room was upon him as they awaited his answer. William could think of nothing to say, and Faith noticed that his father’s impatience at his son’s silence would soon burst forth into a tirade. She gently shook her head at the Duke, and continued to question his son.

“Did Drusilla use her skills on you, William?”

His immediate thoughts turned to Drusilla’s skills between the sheets. His face started to turn red, but he did not reply. Faith instantly knew where his thoughts had gone, and decided that she needed to be more specific in her questioning.

“William, did Drusilla ever mesmerise you?”

All eyes immediately turned to Faith. They had all heard of mesmerism, in fact Joyce and Buffy had once seen it done as a parlour trick. Remembering the event clearly, Buffy recalled her laughter as the subject had barked like a dog on command. Her eyes flew to William as he spoke.

“What do you mean, Faith? Mesmerism is a trick used by charlatans for the amusement of the masses. There is no such thing as mesmerism,” he adamantly replied.

Thomas stood abruptly and paced the floor. Everything suddenly made sense. All the years his son had been that rancid tart’s plaything was because she made him. She had almost engineered his downfall, just to have him please her. His hatred for the Angelus household increased tenfold.

Joyce stood and gently laid her hand on Thomas’ arm to stop his pacing. Smiling gently at him, she whispered. “We will find a way to fix this, Thomas. There must be a way that we can reverse whatever she has put in his head.”

Looking directly into her gentle eyes, he could feel himself calm down. They must find a way to fix his son, and soon. The damage the woman had done to his family must be avenged.

He swore to himself, and God, that he would kill the bitch if she ever crossed his path.