Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for all of the outstanding reviews you guys have flooded me with over this story. I am totally amazed everyday when I see how many I have gotten. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

This chapter is fairly short, but quite interesting if I must say so. Lots of plot for all you plot lovers. Sorry, no smut, but you know I won't leave it out for too long.

As always, please enjoy and feel free to let me know what you think. Also, not betad, so be kind. LOVE YOU GUYS!
“Thought you were at some stuffed shirt tweed convention, Wes, why’d ya come back so soon, mate?” Spike inquired, tossing his car keys onto the table in the foyer and turning to take the brown grocery bag from Buffy’s hands. “Here, pet…lemme take that for you.”

“No, um…that’s ok. I’m gonna go put it in the fridge.” Heading in the direction of the kitchen, she called over her shoulder, “Be right back! Don’t start without me!” Hurrying to the kitchen, she quickly set about placing the six containers of pig’s blood into the refrigerator; all the while keeping one ear tuned into the conversation in the living room.

“It was a Watcher’s Retreat, Spike, and to be invited is a compliment. Therefore, having to leave because I was informed that you were in some type of trouble was quite a disappointment.” Wesley replied dryly. “In fact, it’s an even larger disappointment since you seem to not be in any trouble at all. On the other hand, who was that young lady and where might Drusilla be tonight?”

“Drusilla and I broke up, happened a couple a days ago. As for that younglady? Well, I imagine she’s the reason that the Council sent word for you to return home.” Shuffling nervously, Spike paused for a moment in order to give Buffy sufficient time to return to them; which didn’t take too long since she was apparently already on her way back. Once she was standing next to him, Spike wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her next to him in a protective manner. “Wes, this is Buffy. I…uh…don’t know if you remember…”

The stunned blonde couple barely had time to react to the Watcher’s sudden display of bravery, instantly retrieving a wooden cross from deep within the lapels of his brown tweed sport coat and lunging wildly at his perceived threat. “Stay back, Creature of the Night!” Wesley’s whole body shook with nervousness; never in all his years as a Watcher, which in all honesty weren’t very many, had he encountered a vampire with a history as violent and gruesome as this one’s. Of course, if he were really honest with himself, he had never had to be in the position to dust one, either. The killing of the creatures was solely meant for the Slayer, while his job was to educate and oversee from a distance.

What shocked him the most, not to mention damaged his manhood, was that the vampire didn’t seem to be worried that he was about to kill her. No, in fact, the tiny blonde stood beside his Slayer with confidence and they both seemed to be quite amused with his display. Dropping his weapon to his side, Wesley stared back and forth between the couple with a confused expression before inquiring, “Has everyone here just gone round the bend? Vampire. Right there, Spike. May I ask why you aren’t doing your sacred duty and staking her?”

“Right, about that…there might be some things that you missed over the past few days, Wes. Maybe you should sit down, first.” Spike pointed at the wing backed chair that Fred had occupied earlier in the day. Once Wesley had settled himself into the chair, glaring at them inquisitively, Spike followed Buffy over to the couch and sat down next to her; praying that this conversation went a whole hell of a lot better than the one with his friends.

“Well, let’s have it then.” Wesley urged his Slayer when it was apparent that the young man was obviously at a loss of words; which both confused and downright frightened him since Spike was known for not being able to keep his mouth shut. “Spike?”

“Buffy and I are…well, together, for a lack of a better term. Hadn’t quite had time to process the whole thing, honestly.” He paused his speech long enough to turn to Buffy and take her hand in his. “I know it’s not what you want to hear, mate, but I think she’s the one ‘m suppose to be with.” Seconds ticked by, the room was filled with a enough tension that a plastic knife could slice right through it. “Well, come one then…say something, Wes. I know you bloody well want to.”

“I honestly don’t know what to say, William. This is…well, it’s unheard of…a Slayer and a vampire…dating!” In a huff, Wesley pushed himself off the couch and started pacing the narrow living room. A few agonizing minutes passed before he spoke again, “It’s just all too much to deal with at the moment. First, the news about an unexpected uprising at the Hellmouth and now, finding out that you have decided to carry on with the enemy; well, it’s just too much.”

“Well…’m sorry you feel that way, but I….um, I care for her, Wes. Not to mention, if it weren’t for her, Tara and I wouldn’t be here anymore. She bloody well saved the both of us! Buffy dusted one of her sires just to save two lowly humans from being tortured to death in a graveyard because I wasn’t man enough to do it!” Spike felt his blood begin to boil, hated having to go through this conversation again, especially after the disastrous consequences from earlier. Guilt plagued his conscience as an image of Fred, crying and red with anger filled his mind.

Buffy was at a loss for words; hated knowing that Spike was hurting and not knowing what to do about it. Tightening her hand around his, she said, “Spike, don’t blame yourself for what happened with Tara. Xander is…was a sadistic bastard and they tricked you, used your love for Tara as a weapon in order to control your actions. I honestly believe that even if I hadn’t come along, you would have figured out a way to save her.”

“Oh dear! Is Tara all right?” Wesley interjected, worry marring his handsome features. “She’s not…I mean, she’s alive, right?”

“Course she’s all right, Wes. No thanks to me. Acted like a sodding nancy boy, I did. Just stood there and let that crazy bitch hurt one of my best mates.”

“And, Buffy saved you both. Actually dusted her grandsire for two humans? I honestly don’t believe it!” Wesley cried incredulously, continuing with his nervous pacing. “Might I ask why, Buffy?”

“Huh?” Buffy asked, pulling her attention away from Spike’s pain and focusing on the Watcher who was staring a hole through her head. “I…I had to, I guess. Didn’t really think twice about it, just ‘Poof’…no more Xander.”

“It’s unheard of! It has to be!” Wesley repeated, sitting back down in the chair with a dazed look on his face. After a brief moment, he muttered, “I wonder if their presence in town is the reason for the concern.”

“Wha’s that, Wes?” Spike asked.

“Oh, right…back to the actual reason I came all the way home. The Council sent word that their Seer’s had an extremely ominous prediction about the Hellmouth. If their vision is correct, it is safe to say that we are on the verge of another apocalypse.” Wesley’s wondrous expression from before faded and he gazed at the two figures on the couch grimly, “Someone, or rather, something has been working very diligently in the attempts to resurrect an ancient demon that will bring about the end of humanity. Dimension walls will crumble and blend together, creating what could only be described as Hell, Spike.”

“Is that right?” Spike drawled, figuring that this attempt was no different from the last three apocalypses that had faced and defeated. “And what would the name of this demon be?”

“Anyanka.”


TBC...