Chapter 19

**

Previously:

Penny made a quick note on a spare piece of paper and thrust it at Giles. “I’ll just leave that with you.”

**

Buffy watched the L.A. contingent leave. She was surprised that she wasn’t more upset. She felt a little detached from her feelings; maybe she was in shock or something? Maybe it hadn’t hit her yet? She felt pity for Angel, but not really much of anything else. Love. Did she even know what that was anymore? Was she making a mistake starting something with Spike? Was it fair to him? Could she even give her heart to anyone any more? Had Angelus broken that part of her forever? The questions floated around her consciousness, teasing her, mocking her. She felt like an island in the middle of a churning sea of unanswered questions; so very alone.

Willow eyed the paper in Giles’ hand, completely oblivious to the turmoil of her best friend’s thoughts. “What does it say, Giles?”

“What?” Giles looked momentarily startled by the redhead’s question. He looked down at the paper in his hand as if surprised to see it there. “Oh, ah…Penny suggests that we ask Anya if there is any way for a vampire to permanently remove himself from his vampiric family line without undue distress to the vampire,” he told her, absentmindedly. His thoughts were elsewhere. Angel’s appearance had bought with him images of Jenny. The dark haired beauty danced through his memories. Sorrow mingled with bitterness. ‘Oh Jenny, how I miss you’.

Unaware of the undercurrents of emotional upheaval, Anya happily answered Giles’ unasked question, “There are a few way’s that I know of.”

When neither Buffy nor Giles reacted to her announcement immediately, Anya paused, unsure whether to continue or not.

Giles seemed to realize that the occupants of the room were waiting on him for some sort of response, so he carefully locked away his memories and focused on the matter at hand. “A few, you say?” Giles smiled at the ex-demon. “Perhaps you would be so kind as to elaborate for us, Anya?”

Preening slightly, Anya realized she could quickly get used to being the centre of attention; it almost gave her the same happy feeling that orgasms did. Almost. “Well the first would be to challenge the head of the family, which would technically be Angel in this case, for the right to be the head of an independent branch of the family tree. He might have to beat Angel into agreeing,” she matter-of-factly delivered the information, completely unconcerned with the violence that this option would necessitate.

“He could willingly be claimed by another family, but then Angel could challenge the claim and the head of the new family would have to beat Angel in a challenge fight.” Anya was thoroughly enjoying herself; she really hoped that she would get a chance to do this again. She was slowly discovering that being respected for her mind and knowledge made her feel better about her contribution to the group. She didn’t feel like she was there only because she was Xander’s girlfriend. She had something to offer on her own. It was a liberating feeling.

“The only other way I know of, is if Spike takes a mate, but again; if Angel doesn’t approve he can challenge the claim and Spike would have to win the right to keep his mate.”

“And if Spike lost?” Joyce quietly asked the question she wouldn’t dream of mentioning in front of the blond vampire. She felt guilty for asking, as if she was somehow doubting him, but her natural motherly concern for the vampire overrode all else.

Buffy’s head jerked up at her mother’s question, glad that the subject had been broached as she had been hesitant to ask the question herself. She suddenly felt fear gnawing at her insides. The importance of Anya’s answer seemed to have put her slayer side on alert. The slayer and the girl both waited almost hungrily in anticipation.

“Well, in the case of a mating; Angel would take over the claim, but in all cases he would be within his rights to dust Spike.”

Buffy could feel her inner slayer growling in displeasure. Stake-age of Spike was not an option!

~*~*~

The foursome made their way to the deserted mansion on Crawford Street. Apparently no one had been there in a long time. Layers of dust covered the abandoned furniture and small rodents had made their presence known by chewing holes in the upholstery.

Turning to face Penny with his arms crossed and posture straight, Angel looked every inch the master vampire that he was. “Okay, so we’re here; it’s just us. Tell me about Spike,” he demanded.

“Argggh!” Cordelia yelled in frustration. “Let. It. Go,” she snarled through clenched teeth.

Wesley rolled his eyes and threw his hands up, indicating his disgust with his stubborn employer.

“Listen to me carefully,” Penny hissed at the brooding vampire. “Personally? I despise you! I think you are a pedophile and I would be happy to see you disintegrate into dust. Professionally; I think you have an unhealthy obsession over a young girl that you have mentally never allowed to grow up. You hear only what you want to hear, you have delusions of grandeur, and are suffering from emotionally arrested development complicated by a God complex. Teams of psychologists could work with you for years and I don’t believe there would be any discernable difference. I am only here to assist in your anomalous concept of redemption. So stop wasting my time.”

Angel stood in absolute shock. He had never been spoken to like this. Angelus was hated; he wasn’t. He opened his mouth to speak several times, but was unable to think clearly enough to bring any words to the surface. Finally he pulled himself together enough to ask his question, “You think I’m obsessive?”

~*~*~

“Come on, fang, tell the truth. You’re just offering so Buffy can’t get mad at you when you hit me,” Xander teased the blond vampire as they reentered the Magic box. Laden with bags of food, they made their way over to the table.

Xander may have been unaware of the tense undercurrent of emotion that seemed to have engulfed the room, but Spike picked up on it immediately. Lifting an eyebrow in inquiry, he searched Buffy’s face for clues.

Buffy smiled at the curious vampire and shook her head slightly, indicating to him that there was nothing to worry about.

“So, why wouldn’t I get mad at you for hitting Xander, Spike?”

“I offered to teach him a little self defense is all,” Spike tried to explain. He felt a little embarrassed at admitting he’d offered to help. It was still difficult for him to get over a century of anti-social behavior. He hoped it would become easier with time, because he didn’t bollocks things up too often.

“Oh, yeah, he sooo wants to hit Xander and not get in trouble,” Dawn teased the vampire.

“So you think it’s a good idea then, do you dear?” Joyce seemed genuinely interested in Dawn’s response.

“I think it’s a great idea,” Dawn answered still very much amused by the idea of Spike pummeling Xander.

“That’s good to know, sweetie. So, you won’t have a problem with him teaching you too?” Joyce smiled smugly at her youngest.

“Huh?”

“Oooh…ooh…” Willow stammered. Her excitement at her sudden epiphany had her jumping up and down on the spot.

“Could the slayer claim him as her family?”