Chapter 24

**
.
Previously:

“Buffy’s gonna dust me,” Spike replied morosely as he jerked a thumb over his shoulder.

“Huh?” Xander asked before glancing over at what the vampire was silently indicating. “Oh man! Spikey, you are sooo busted.”

“Blondie Bear!”
**

”Finally!” Harmony’s high pitched voice was laced with irritation, which was kind of ironic given that irritation was usually what other people felt when they heard her voice. “I’ve been looking for you everywhere. I’m leaving you, Spikey,” she announced with dramatic finality.

“Right then. Good for you, Harm. Prolly for the best an’ all. Best be headin’ off then, you don’t want the Slayer to see you.” Spike tried desperately to get rid of the annoying blond, his frantic gaze searching unsuccessfully for the Slayer. If he could just find Buffy, he might be able to gauge how much trouble he was in.

“You can’t talk me out of it,” she stubbornly informed him. She was a bit cross that he didn’t seem to be reacting at all like she’d planned. If she didn’t know better she’d think he was giving her the brush off. No, it was totally clear that he cared, ‘cause he was worried that she might put herself in danger by running into Buffy. Actually, that was a bit insulting. Sheesh! Didn’t he realise that she could take care of herself? She was Harmony Kendall; she could so handle a geek like Buffy Summers!

“Not tryin’ to,” Spike muttered absentmindedly as he continued to search out the small but lethal blonde of his dreams. Her signature felt closer. Where the hell was she?

“’Cause I mean it, Spikey, you can’t change my mind.” Harmony assured him. What the hell was he looking for?

“Say goodbye, Harmony.”

Bugger.

“You can’t tell me what to do, Buffy Summers. You’re not the boss of me!” Harmony turned all her righteous indignation on the Slayer. How dare she tell her to leave? She had as much right as Buffy to be here and she was way cooler than that stupid vampire murderer.

Lifting a sardonic eyebrow, the Slayer replied, “One word, Harmony…dustbuster.”

Spike watched the interaction between the two women. This wasn’t good at all. The Slayer was pissed. What the hell was taking their drink order so long? Oh, that’s right; they hadn’t ordered yet. Wait a minute…what was he worrying about? It wasn’t as though he’d done anything wrong, had he? Harmony had only been living at his crypt because she was scared that the Slayer was gonna… oh bollocks.

“Well, I’m leaving, but I’m not going because you told me to. I’m going because I have to go and pack. I’m leaving Sunnydale and moving on to brighter things.” Harmony sniffed dismissively at the blond who had threatened her.

“Like the noon day sun?” Xander quipped with mock innocence.

‘No, no, no! Don’t get their attention, you nit!’ Spike thought in despair as two sets of eyes began turning towards the carpenter, but stopped at him on their way.

Bugger!

“Are you coming, Spikey?” Harmony asked regally.

“No, Harm. I’m really not.” Spike was of the sad opinion that he probably wouldn’t be any time soon, either.

“Fine,” Harmony snapped at the vampire. “Just remember, I broke up with you.” She was furious that her plans had not worked out as she’d wanted them to. Turning on her heel, the vacuous blond stomped angrily away.

Buffy’s expression changed from angry to calculating in the blink of an eye. Taking a step towards the worried vampire, she reached out a finger tip to the centre of his chest just where the neckline of his t-shirt began. Gently running her finger down Spike’s torso until she reached the waistband of his jeans, Buffy hooked her finger inside and firmly tugged him closer. Watching his eyes darken with desire, her own eyes flashed with triumph. “I don’t share, Spikey,” she announced firmly before abruptly releasing him, turning and sashaying her way beck to their table.

The slack jawed vampire watched her go as the carpenter chuckled beside him. “It’s gonna be worse than dusting, man. She’s gonna make you pay.”

~*~*~

Jinx moved cautiously towards the front windows of the shop; stopping every few feet to check that he was still alone. When he finally made it to the glass, he discovered to his dismay that wide shutters on the inside would make his searching that much harder. Peering into the darkness through the small gaps in the blinds, Jinx allowed his eyes to adjust to the darkness within and began his search. It wasn’t until he had changed his position numerous times that he spied the first of the coveted objects. He could barely contain his excitement. The Sobekian Bloodstone was on the small display table in the centre of the shop floor. Now, if he could just find Khul's amulet…

“What are you doing, you idiot?” Dreg hissed from the alley. Just because he’d been the one to give the ritual to their most beauteous and supremely magnificent one didn’t mean he was given any special treatment. In fact, their shiny splendiferous one had refused to beat him with the rest, even after he begged her to. Even then, her first question on returning to them from Master Ben had been relating to the whereabouts of her precious Jinxy. So, the ever faithful Dreg had offered to go and search for the missing minion and here he was, wasting time doing some window shopping.

“The items our most groove-tastic one will need for the ritual are in the shop…” Jinx began to tell Dreg excitedly.

“Our most scrumptious mistress has already discovered the identity of the key. You’re out here while the magnificent Glorificus calls your name. Oh! That I would know the joy of having my name pass the perfect lips of our…Jinx?” Dreg looked around in confusion. He’d had no idea the scabby little worm could move that fast.

~*~*~

Penny walked aimlessly around her living room, picking up and putting down items of sentimental value as she wandered. If she didn’t know she was in an alternate dimension, she would believe these objects to be the same ones that she’d had for years. But they weren’t the same. Her belongings were gone. Her life; the life she’d known, was nothing more then another memory now. Her mother and sisters unreachable. At least she could go and visit the ocean. She could still pretend that it was the same one her father’s ashes had been spread over.

Maybe time and these people she now found herself surrounded by could help her fill the missing part of her heart. She hadn’t expected Spike’s bid for independence to affect her like this. It was obvious that she had been reminded of her own loss of family by his rejection of his. She briefly wondered if some grief counselling would be needed for the vampire. She always found it easier to deal with her own problems when she had to tackle somebody else’s.

She thought briefly about the blossoming relationship between Buffy and Spike, extremely pleased that the two had decided to work towards their future. She knew in her heart that it would be something special.

Now, if only her own love life were as healthy. Sighing deeply, Penny frowned at the realisation that she would find the job ever so much easier if she actually had a man!

Mentally going through all the males she remembered from the show; a sweet smile curved her lips as she focused on one man in particular.

‘Okay, so he’s a definite fixer-upper, but I’ve always been up for a challenge!’