Chapter 28

**
.
Previously:

“ARRRGGGGHHH!” Spike threw his head back and yelled in frustration. “That’s IT!” Grabbing her right hand with his left, the furious master vampire decisively changed the direction they had been headed in and dragged the surprised girl after him as he purposely strode into the night.

“Move your bloody arse, Slayer.”
**

Buffy’s mind spun with a myriad of thoughts. Spike was seriously pissed about something, and while Spike pissed was not normally a good thing, Buffy was a little shocked by her own very physical reaction to this side of her vampire’s nature.

It had been a long time since she’d seen him this angry. Normally she would have just stopped him from dragging her anywhere, a quick pop to the nose here, a few well chosen and destructive words there and then a little flick of her hair as she stormed away. It was amazing the difference that admitting that she really did want to be with him had made to their relationship in such a short time. While she could do without being dragged along at a furious pace by a master vampire that was clearly more then a little cranky, she had to admit that she was totally turned on by his caveman tactics. She honestly had no clue as to what had set him off though.

As she stumbled along behind him, she found herself at a total loss for words. Maybe if she could get him to slow down, she could make him to talk to her. Maybe she could at least find out where they were going. Tugging on his hand in an effort to slow him down, Buffy was a little concerned when his only response was to growl loudly with displeasure. Okay, maybe she should just wait until they got where they were going.

She didn’t have long to wait, she realised as they entered Restfield Cemetery. Making his way to his crypt, Buffy felt a wave of trepidation engulf her. There was no way he would bring her here if they weren’t about to have the mother of all shouting match’s. She was trying so hard to be honest with herself, and she had to admit that if he started yelling, she would yell back. Somehow she had to try and keep control of her temper. She obviously needed to apologise for something. She could be the bigger person. Couldn’t she? Damn, things weren’t looking good.

Slamming open the door of the crypt, Spike pulled her inside. Parking her next to the sarcophagus, he moved silently around the dark room lighting the few candles that Harmony hadn’t taken. As the small flickering flames slowly brought some much needed light to the darkness, Spike looked over at the girl standing quietly and so unlike her usual self. Pointing to the sarcophagus, he wordlessly indicated that she should take a seat before he disappeared completely from view.

She could hear him moving in the lower chamber of the crypt and his familiar signature buzzed through her body. She mentally went over the events leading up to his display of temper and couldn’t figure out what had caused the abrupt turnaround in his mood. Unless…? Was it possible that her yelling at him out of concern had been misinterpreted? Did he think that she doubted his ability to beat Angel? Because that was so not the case. She hadn’t meant to give him that impression. Oh, boy; did she have some making up to do if that was what he thought.

Buffy was so lost in her own musings that she didn’t notice that Spike had returned to the room until he started placing more candles around them and lighting them. She felt a strong urge to break the silence between them. Spike was clearly upset and if the little flashes of gold that she noticed in his eyes were any indication, he was having a hard enough time trying to control his demon. It couldn’t help but sooth his internal battle if she apologised.

“I’m sorry,” she told him quietly, but earnestly. “I didn’t mean to go all bitchy Buffy on you. I was more angry with myself than you. Angel would never have come here if I hadn’t taunted him and when I saw your hand and realised that you’d fought him and that it might have caused you permanent damage and that it was all because of me…well, I kinda lost it and I took it out on you.” She smiled slightly in self deprecation before turning her tear filled eyes that pleaded with him to believe her, “I’m so sorry.”

Spike moved towards her. Lifting a hand to cup her cheek, he gently swept his thumb under her eye, removing the single tear that had slipped over the edge. Sighing softly in defeat, he stepped in between her slightly parted thighs and gathered her into his embrace. This small slip of a girl could affect him so deeply, in so many ways. He couldn’t even begin to describe how much power she had over him. He loved her so much that for the first time in his entire existence, words failed him. He knew that they had to talk, but for the moment he allowed himself to enjoy the comfort of her presence and the connection he felt with her as he held her in his arms. The roller coaster ride that was this girl’s mood swings could wait. Just for a moment.

In his arms, her head resting on his shoulder and her arms pressed against his back. Buffy felt safe.

“Buffy, luv, we have to talk.”

Uh oh…that didn’t sound good. Buffy was fairly certain that those four innocent little words could only mean one thing – trouble. Gulping in dreaded anticipation, she slowly lifted her head and sought out his eyes, her own fearful. “Talk?”

Taking a deep breath, Spike forged valiantly ahead. “Pet, do you have any idea how frustrating the hormonal hurricane that is a Buffy mood swing can be?”

“Huh?” Buffy looked startled. Whatever she had expected him to say, it hadn’t been that.

“Today I’ve spent time with Scared Buffy, Elated Buffy, Slayer Buffy, Loving Buffy, Supportive Buffy, Happy Buffy, Pissed Buffy, Silent Buffy, Jealous Buffy, Sweet Buffy, Concerned Buffy, Angry Buffy, and- last but not least- Bitchy Buffy. Now don’t get me wrong, luv. I love being around any Buffy, but does it all have to be in one day?”

Buffy didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. Here was a vampire that had happily stayed with an insane, cheating ho for over a hundred years and he was complaining because Buffy could, on occasion, be a little…temperamental. Well no, not temperamental, because she so wasn’t that. True, she could get a little cross, but it’s not like she was some insane-o roller coaster girl like he was making her out to be. She’d had a lot to deal with over the span of the day. It was understandable that she had reacted to each event. There was no way that she was going to apologize for her behaviour. He was just gonna have to suck it up like the big vampire that he was. Looking Spike directly in the eye, she lifted an eyebrow and offered up her challenge, “Are you saying that you don’t want to meet the other Buffy’s, Spike?”

“Never said that, pet.” Spike looked at the sparkling gleam in the eyes of the girl in his arms and wondered briefly what the little minx was up to now. He may have been angry and frustrated at her volleying moods, but he had to admit, she always managed to surprise him. There was never going to be a dull moment with his slayer.

“Good,” she said as she gave him a cheeky grin. “’Cause I don’t think you’ve met Lusty Buffy yet.”