Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: For those of you that were confused…yes in chapter 34 Spike dusted Riley. I apologize for any misunderstanding but from the point of view of this author, Riley’s passing wasn’t worthy of more time than I gave him. That could either be because I was projecting my own anger at RL onto Riley or that I just didn’t like the character – flip a coin. :D
Chapter 37

**
Previously:

“Actually, Mrs Summers, we were really looking for Penny first,” Wesley hesitantly informed her.

**

Penny ushered the miserable group from L.A. into her living room, her mind already working out sleeping arrangements. One look on their faces told her all she needed to know. “He fired you, didn’t he?”

“Yes, and now the idiotic moron is going to confront the Oracles,” Cordelia snapped. She was feeling so many confusing emotions. She was furious at Angel, but terrified for him at the same time. She was angered at the possibility that his behaviour could in some way reflect on Doyle’s sacrifice. She was concerned about her own place and for her future. She felt rudderless and lost. This was so not a good day.

“And people wonder why I think he’s an idiot!”

**

“Are you sure it will be acceptable for us to join them? This is a private party,” Wesley asked again as they reached the door of the magic box.

“As I told you Wesley, it’s a going away party for Willow. With the exception of Gunn, you all know her. She was delighted to know you would be coming,” Penny informed him firmly. She really needed to get Wesley aside and help him get over all the damage his father had done to him. The poor man had hardly any self-esteem left.

As they joined the mingling crowd of Willow well-wishers, Penny stood off in a quiet corner and watched them. It was what she enjoyed most. She could see the effects of her interference and influence - it was amazing how much difference a few well chosen words could make.

She did feel a little guilty that she didn’t care more about Riley’s death, subsequent turning, and final dusting. She wondered briefly if that made her heartless in some way. It wasn’t that she had little regard for human life, because she did. She would have happily helped him if it had been within her power to do so, and she certainly hadn’t wanted him dead, but he was, and there was nothing she could do about that. All she could do was try to help those she had been brought here to help, those she had grown to love.

She was brought out of her introspective musings when Tara joined her, gently touching her arm to gain her attention. Penny smiled at the shy young Wicca in welcome.

“I brought you p-punch, you l-looked troubled,” Tara stuttered hesitantly.

“It’s nothing important, sweetie, but I am glad you came over, I have a proposition for you.” Penny grinned devilishly, her blue eye’s sparkling.

Tara smiled, amused at the older woman’s playful nature. “Should I be worried?” she joked, losing her stutter and reserve in the wake of Penny’s humour.

Penny chuckled lightly in delight, “No, it’s nothing to worry about. I just thought that with Willow being away, it might get lonely for you at the dorms. I have a huge house and a car that you are welcome to use to get to classes.”

“Oh, my! That’s just…wow. Are you sure?” Tara bubbled with excitement. She had been dreading being alone again. She was going to miss Willow terribly, but she had to do this. She had to make Willow face this problem without distractions and she had to be around for the study of the journal. Her mother had been quite clear on that. She had a part to play and she wasn’t prepared to let any of them down.

**

“Rupert?” Penny said to gain the attention of the preoccupied ex-watcher. When she had captured his gaze, she continued. “Surely a man with Ripper’s history doesn’t require Band Candy to ask a lady out?”

Giles spluttered and blushed at Penny’s wry comment and light chuckle at his expense, but his eyes drifted to find the blond beauty across the room and he thought about Penny’s suggestion. Thought hard.

**

Spike followed Buffy into his living room, pondering the different things they had discovered through the course of Willow’s party. He wasn’t overly surprised by the poof’s reaction to the empath’s vision, or what Angel would no doubt see as his team’s failure to support him. What did concern him was the bastard’s reaction to whatever the Oracles were going to say to him. Spike had a nasty feeling that ol’ Angelus might be making a return visit and that worried him greatly. He knew without question that Joyce and Dawn would be the first one’s he’d go for. The pillock always went after the weakest first.

As Spike made himself comfortable on the black leather love seat, while Buffy grabbed a drink from his fridge. He began to make plans for the protection of his loved ones, just in case his fears weren’t groundless.

Buffy watched him from the door to the kitchen. She could see his concern etched plainly on his expressive face. How she had ever believed that this vampire couldn’t feel was absolutely beyond her now. She’d never met anyone with less ability to hide their feelings. It was one of the things she loved most about him.

Wait a minute?

Loved?

Wow. That was unexpected.

Smiling to herself, Buffy joined her vampire on the couch.

Spike smiled at her as she crawled onto his lap. A lap full of slayer was one of his most favourite things in the world. Not surprisingly, his top five all included the slayer in one form or another. It beat dog racing and Manchester United hands down. Okay, maybe not hands down with Man U…but close.

Buffy grinned as she nonchalantly pulled her necklace out from under her shirt.

“That’s my ring,” he said softly, memories flitting across his mind. The red glass eyes of the skull ring seemed to twinkle in the candlelight.

“Nuh uh, Mister. You gave that to me,” Buffy pouted playfully.

“Ooooh, pouty,” he whispered huskily as he leaned in to kiss her. He wasn’t quite prepared for her screech as she leapt from his lap. “What?” he quickly stood looking around to find out what she was reacting to.

“One of your hands was on my waist and the other on the back of my head,” she told him as her eyes frantically searched the room.

“Yeah?” Spike was desperately trying to work out how that could be a bad thing.

“Then it couldn’t have been you,” she explained, practically incoherent.

“Pet, what are you talking about?” Spike scratched his head in confusion.

“The wedgie,” she snarled as she let her senses out.

Spike just looked at her blankly, he couldn’t for the life of him figure out what she as on about. “What wedgie?”

“The wedgie I just got. The wedgie that could be called the mother of all wedgies. The wedgie that just had someone or something using my thong as a visual aid in a lesson about flossing!” Buffy’s voice got higher and higher until she was indignantly screeching out the last word.

Spike tried. He really did.

“Don’t you dare laugh!”