Chapter 39

**
Previously:

The pictures seemed to slow and solidify, giving her the perception that she was inside the vision. One particular individual she knew and loathed appeared. She could hear what they were saying, watch what they were doing, and intuit their emotions. She knew that this was not yet happening, but she also knew there was no way to stop it. She was being shown this for a reason. What terrified her was the idea that she already knew what they wanted her to see, and she really didn’t want to know that at all.

**

Joyce watched as Angel stepped through the light and into a white marble chamber.

Two figures appeared. One male, one female, both dressed in robes of such a pure white that they dazzled the eyes. Animosity flashed from both pairs of eyes, but Joyce doubted that Angel realised this. Looking at them, Joyce knew instinctively that these were the Oracles. Brother and sister; they were divine seers for the Powers That Be. They knew exactly who Angel was, and they were NOT happy.

“You,” the brother said flatly.

“Why are you here, lower being?” the sister asked coldly. Her disdain was obvious.

Joyce could feel the waves of impotent rage emanating from the brunette vampire. He was so caught up in his own self-righteous indignation that he was oblivious to the underlying currents of anger being directed his way.

“Oh,” Angel looked at the snow globe in his hands and tossed it in the general direction of the woman. “I brought you this.”

She gracefully moved away from the incoming object, allowing it to drop to the ground and shatter.

The sound of the shattering glass seemed to reverberate through the chamber, drawing the vampire’s gaze and startling him. “Hey! That’s not my fault. I brought you a gift so I want my answers.”

“You are correct, you want your answers, pretender. We only offer a truth that you have already heard,” the brother replied as he turned to leave. This discussion was beneath him.

When his sister moved to follow, Angel grabbed her arm. “I’m not finished talking to you yet,” he snarled.

Joyce sensed the retributive rage directed at Angel a fraction of a second before the male Oracle struck.

Angel flew back from the female oracle, his back slamming into one of the pillars. His chest exploded with pain. Neither of the Oracles had moved and he was unable to sense any other presence in the room, so he was unable to work out just exactly who it was that had hit him.

“You will not gain access to us again,” the male Oracle stated with finality.

As the Oracles turned to walk away, the female made her parting comment, “Be happy that it is not our place to grant life or death. And it would do you well to remember; that which we serve is not that which you serve.”

With a dismissive flick of his wrist, the brother sent Angel back through the portal.

Both siblings turned to face Joyce.

“Graceful Joy, we thank you for coming,” the brother bowed deeply.

“Abounding Joy, we offer you knowledge,” the sister rested her pale forehead on her prayerfully clasped hands.

Joyce was startled. She had just gotten used to being an unseen watcher, being acknowledged as a higher being by this couple took her a moment to process.

“Well that would be lovely,” she replied politely. “I am going to be able to aid my daughter, aren’t I?”

“Yes, you are, mother of the Chosen One. You have been gifted with a great honour. You have chosen freely to join us and in doing so ensured your own protection from the visions. You have neither lessons to learn nor a path to follow, and yet you chose to aid our warrior and her champion for no reason other than love,” the brother explained as he smiled benignly at the captivated woman.

“The teacher is already among you. Seek her out. The Powers will offer guidance, but hold free will above all else. The visions you receive will often be cryptic and confusing. This is so that any decisions that are made are made freely. The teacher can help you decipher them,” the sister told her.

“Why was I shown Angel’s visit to you?” Joyce asked tremulously.

Brother and sister exchanged a look; silently communicating with unseen voices. “The Augury’s tell us that it was to offer a warning of the direction in which the Pretender is headed; to allow you to inform the Warriors of Light to beware,” he offered in answer.

“The Pretender?” If she was going to be offered information, she would take all she could get; regardless of the subject.

“He who pretends to be more than that which he is. The Cursed Vampire,” the sister answered, her distaste evident in her voice.

“Our time has ended. Farewell, Graceful Joy,” the brother smiled.

“May your love blossom, Abounding Joy,” his sister added.

Joyce opened her eyes to find herself safely back in her living room. Sitting back in the chair, she thought about all that she had learned. She made mental lists of what she needed to do and in what order. With a final nod, she moved to the phone and punched in the number she knew by heart.

“Rupert, it’s Joyce. I need a disinvite spell and some of your time. I have news.”

~~~~~~~

Angel looked at the closed portal in shock. What had just happened here? He was so absorbed in trying to decipher his feelings that he didn’t even notice the green demon until he tried to help the vampire stand.

Angel was finding it difficult not to take his anger out on the Pylean, so he simply walked away; without a word.

Lorne watched him go.

Hours passed as Angel walked the streets. Events of the last few days replayed over and over in his mind, warping out of control by his growing hatred. Accusations were thrown at him continually; it didn’t seem to matter how far he walked, the voices followed. Their insults and lies assaulted him and no matter what he did or how he justified his actions, the voices still attacked.

None of them understood his pain. His sacrifices. None of them respected his wisdom. None of them treated him with the respect he deserved. Well, that was just fine and dandy. He didn’t need them. He was a power to be reckoned with and he would show them all. He would save Darla. He would get Drusilla under control. He would teach that bastard Spike a lesson about what happens to those individuals that betrayed him. He would prove to his group that he didn’t need them – they needed him. And he would prove to Buffy and the rest that he was the one they should be calling Champion. He would make the Powers take him back. He had a destiny to fulfil and a Shanshu to collect. He’d earned it and nobody better get in his way.

~~~~~~~

She sat and she waited. It’s what she had always done. She was tired and her bones fragile. She could feel the changes coming. For some reason the Powers had intervened. She didn’t know why and she did not ask questions. She just sat and waited.

As she had always done.