Chapter 41

**

Previously:

As she turned to walk away from them, she made one last remark.

“Glorificus is dead.”

**

“Glorificus is dead?” Giles asked for clarification. His mind reeled at the possibilities. This changed everything. Tara’s nod of conformation and look of thoughtful contemplation as she looked at her mother’s notebook when coupled with Penny’s speculative looks convinced the watcher that he had not been hearing things.

“That’s what she said,” Buffy confirmed. “She also told us that Tara is the ‘Daughter of Light’ and she has a ‘rightful place’ she can take. I’m not gonna die. My Champion ‘is safe’; we’re guessing that’s Spike. ‘The teacher has been reformed’; my guess is that’s Penny, since she’s all touchable now. ‘The Red Witch will learn balance’; I’m goin’ with Willow for that one and ‘the Daughter of Light will live’; good news for Tara. She said that was the good news but we needed to be warned that with the good comes the bad and that ‘the cursed one walks in darkness’, when you take into consideration mom’s vision, all fingers point in Angel’s direction,” Buffy said, sighing deeply. She was tired of the continual conflicts. She wanted time to breath; to adjust. Summer couldn’t come quickly enough as far as she was concerned.

She was startled out of her reverie when strong fingers began to massage her shoulders. This time her sigh was one of pleasure. ‘Oh yeah, he can stay.’

“Don’t let your ice-cream melt, pet,” he whispered in her ear.

Looking down at the coffee table in front of her she saw the bowl of double choc that he had set out for her. ‘Okay, it’s official, I’m keeping him.’ Grinning widely, she picked up the treat and dug right in as the incredible ‘man’ in her life continued his ministrations to her shoulders.

“Hey!” Xander cried indignantly from his seat on the couch. “What about the rest of us?”

Spike lifted an eyebrow at the complaining brunette. “You practically live here, Harris. I figured you’d do the honours. I got my hands full,” he hinted, happily continuing his ministrations on the beautiful blond love of his unlife.

Xander grumbled good naturedly as he made his way to the kitchen.

Holding the meeting at Spike’s new home had been Joyce’s idea. She would have suggested her own home, but Spike’s added security made his home a better choice. Looking around the living room, Joyce was delighted to see how well the pieces she had chosen from the gallery complemented the elegant furnishings Spike and her daughter had chosen. They truly had created a beautiful home, totally in keeping with the restored Victorian manor. She found herself wondering how long it would be before her daughter would finally realise that individuals like Spike only came along once in a lifetime and she needed to grab hold of him. Tight. Somehow she didn’t think it would be long.

“She a-also said w-we all have choices to make,” Tara offered softly, her gentle voice capturing their attention immediately as it seemed novel to hear from her during a meeting. “But we had to t-talk to you all f-first then go back to her.”

“What choices do we have to make?” Dawn asked curiously. She couldn’t believe that she had been allowed to come to the meeting, much less participate. There was no way she was going to mess up this opportunity. She had wanted to be a part of the group for far too long as it was.

All eyes turned to Tara.

She took a deep breath. She could do this. “I-I think that you all have to make the s-same choice that Mrs. Summers did.” Tara’s voice gained strength as her conviction did. “You all need to make the conscious decision that you want to continue fighting. It can’t be about doing it for Buffy, it has to be about doing it for yourself. You shouldn’t jump into a decision either. Think about it. You need to be very sure of your motives.”

“And your decision?” Penny asked gently.

“I need to decide if I want to become the new Guardian,” Tara answered the diminutive psychologist.

A knock at the door halted the cacophony of exclamations her revelation received.

Xander was distracted as he moved swiftly and automatically to answer the door. His shocked ‘eep’ drew the attention of the group. They watched as he backed away from the door. “Um…Spike? I think this is for you.”

Spike walked to door, curious as to whom or what would cause Xander’s reaction. When he saw who it was he was shocked. “What the bloody hell are you doing here?” he snarled.

“I’ve come to join you, my prince,” Drusilla giggled happily. “The pixies told me it was time.”

Buffy heard the voice and saw red. Her mind screamed one word – ‘MINE.’

Spike was alerted to the force of destruction barrelling down on them when Penny and Tara yelled to him.

“NO!” Tara yelled. The rest of the group was shocked at her vehemence.

“Stop her!” Penny demanded loudly.

As Buffy flew past him, intent on destroying the vampire at the door, Spike grabbed her around the waist with a grip of iron. Her momentum had him spinning them around in a circle; her feet flying off the floor.

“Whoa, Tiger,” he chortled softly. “Let’s hear what this is all about first, luv.”

His softly spoken words allowed her to see through the haze of her rage. “Fine,” she snapped unhappily. “But if she tries mackin’ on my man, she’s sooo dust.”

“The sunshine burns. Tsk, tsk. Such a bright, jealous fire. It makes me all tingly.” She leaned in as far as the barrier would allow. “But your fire burns for naught little one. I'm not here to steal the sweet prince from you.”

“Why are you here, Dru,” Spike asked tiredly. He was so used to Buffy’s brand of speech that the change to Drusilla’s cryptic crap was exhausting. He no longer found it charming. Now it was just frustrating and irritating.

“The stranger, she called to me, whispering little things in my ears. Psst, psst. The pixies say I'm to get my spark back. All things go round, topsy to turvey, inside to out.” She paused a moment for effect and gave the pair a pointed look. “Dark to light.”

Buffy and Spike shared a look of confusion.

“What the heck does that mean?”

“No idea, pet.”

“It means that she’s going to get her soul back,” Penny told them from the living room doorway. “I think the Guardian or the Powers sent her a message.” Penny stared at the vampire speculatively.

“I was helping Grandmum, taking away the pain, when the pixies whispered in my ear. They talked of naughty doctors hiding and wicked gods who don't belong. Mummy made the bad god go away,” Drusilla happily informed them.

“She killed Glory?” Buffy asked for conformation of her interpretation, shocked.

“After she re-sired the old bitch,” Spike spat out in disgust.

**

Darla stood on the bluff overlooking Sunnydale. She shuddered as she remembered this place and her demise at the hand of Angel. She had some scores to settle and a grandchilde/sire to collect and then she would be on her way back to LA; out of this hell hole forever. There was a job there she wanted to finish. She had a childe to reclaim...and punish.