Chapter 42

**

Previously:

Darla stood on the bluff overlooking Sunnydale. She shuddered as she remembered this place and her demise at the hand of Angel. She had some scores to settle and a grandchilde/sire to collect and then she would be on her way back to LA; out of this hell hole forever. There was a job there she wanted to finish. She had a childe to reclaim...and punish.

**

Drusilla swayed slightly as she glided around the Magic Box, her slight frame gracefully moving to some internal music. She touched nothing, just looking as she investigated the shelves with innocent curiosity. Her entire demeanour spoke of an otherworldly existence. Even without her ability to thrall, she was truly captivating.

Buffy watched her with a mixture of exasperation and jealousy. She was a little disconcerted to find that she actually liked the brunette in a she’s-entirely-insane-but-in-a-quirky kinda way. Her delight when she discovered something new was engaging.

The blond slayer watched any interaction Spike had with his sire. She knew that she should trust him, but their relationship was so new that she couldn’t help but feel overwhelmed by her own insecurities. If she was honest with herself she could see that her vampire appeared to have absolutely no more interest in his sire than Xander did. They had both treated Drusilla with the same sort of dismissive indulgence that people tended to give to bizarre family members. And that was another thing, when did Xander loose his ‘all demons are bad’ attitude? She knew that he was accepting of Spike, but apparently his change in attitude didn’t stop at her blond menace. Whoda thunk it?

Buffy watched as Drusilla drifted over to the sales desk and said something quietly to Anya. Anya’s head shot up and she seemed to stare right into the eyes of the vampiress as if asking for conformation on what ever the brunette had said to her. With a swift nod, Anya deftly locked the cash register and darted behind the table where Buffy was seated towards the back room, where Spike was busy training Dawn and Xander.

Drusilla straightened her body and turned towards the door. Her entire body screamed Master Vampire to Buffy and the Slayer was shocked to realise that this was the first time since her arrival that Drusilla had set off her tinglies.

The front door opened as Spike stepped through the door from the training room. Buffy moved to his side, all senses on alert.

“Nobody willingly leaves my family, William.” Darla smiled with deceptive indulgence, her eyes cold.

Buffy lifted a delicate eyebrow. “Seriously? Have they met you?”

Darla scrunched up her nose and sniffed dismissively at the sarcastic blond. She would deal with the Slayer, but first she wanted her family back. Returning her gaze to her great grandchilde/brother she graced him with a winning smile. “All is forgiven; let me renew the bond, William. Then let’s go get the rest of our family.”

Spike chortled in amusement. “Did you miss the bit where I hate your bloody guts, you dilapidated old whore?”

“You will be punished for your insolence, boy,” she snarled, furious that he dared to laugh at her.

“Did they forget to resurrect your brain cells? Oh, that’s right…you never had any to begin with. I wasn’t scared of you when you were a master, what makes you think a bloody fledgling is gonna have any effect?” Spike grinned in delight. It had been a while since he had someone to direct his barbs at.

Drusilla glided forward, bridging the gap between her and the other female vampire. “The pixies are whispering Grandmum, they say it’s time.”

“Time for what?” Darla asked, barely paying the brunette any attention, her gaze locked with Spike’s unbending one. She didn’t notice Drusilla’s movements so she was surprised when the stake pierced her heart. As she crumbled to dust she locked her shocked eyes with her sire’s sorrowful brown ones.

**

Angel felt it when Darla dusted and Angelus roared.

**

Buffy snuggled in closer to her vampire. She was still a little awed that Drusilla had dusted Darla. She would never have expected the brunette vampiress to do that. She was still having a great deal of difficultly coming to terms with the fact that Drusilla was serious about wanting her soul returned to her. The idea alone had sent Penny into doctor overdrive and Tara scrambling for her mother’s journal; both completely at a loss to know why or how this had happened.

Thinking about Drusilla brought back all her fears and doubts. The vulnerable girl that love had never been kind to was terrified that she could lose the one being that she was beginning to believe she would never get over. She still hadn’t told him that she loved him and while it was true he hadn’t told her that he loved her either, it didn’t mean that she shouldn’t tell him. She was just so very scared. What if he didn’t love her? What if he was sucked back into his love of Drusilla? What if she lost him?

Spike was enjoying the moment. There was nothing he enjoyed more than sitting quietly with his girl in his arms and letting the rest of the world slip away. Okay, maybe that wasn’t quiet correct; snogging his girl was certainly something he enjoyed just as much if not more. But right now, he was happy to enjoy a quite moment. It had been a day filled with surprises and he wanted some non surprise time with his girl. As far as he was concerned he and Buffy didn’t get anywhere near enough alone time together as it was, he wasn’t planning on wasting a minute of it.

As he breathed in deeply, the beginnings of a sigh of happiness, he smelled the two things he hated most in the world, Buffy’s fear and Buffy’s tears. “Kitten?” he turned her to face him. Taking in her obvious distress, Spike was quick to show his concern. “Buffy, luv, what’s wrong?”

“You’re gonna leave me for Drusilla,” she wailed as she burst into tears.

“Huh?” Spike reeled back in shock. He was speechless. What in the bloody hell was his girl thinking?

Buffy shot out of his arms, pacing frantically as she hiccupped and sniffled and tears streamed down her face. “We haven’t been given a chance to really be together and now you’re gonna leave an I’m gonna be all alone and nobody will ever be able to take your place and it’s not fair that she had to come back before I had a chance to tell you that I love you and you’re gonna go never knowing and…”

“What did you say?” Spike gasped. He slowly stood; his eyes wide as he latched onto what he thought were the most important words on the planet.

“You’re gonna leave me.” She turned accusing, tear-filled green eyes on the stunned blond.

“Thought hadn’t even crossed my mind, Kitten.” He smiled gently as he moved closer to her. “Why would you believe that I could ever leave you, luv? You’re my sunshine, my heart.” He lifted a hand and gently wiped the tears from her face before continuing, “My breath, my blood, my everything,” he whispered seductively as he leaned in to softly caress her quivering lips with his.

Buffy melted into his sinfully beautiful embrace; lifting her arms to lace around the back of his head. Her fears seemed to well up again inside her and her kisses showed more than a hint of desperation.

Spike removed his lips and let his forehead gently touch hers. “I love you with all that I am. I’m never leavin’ you, Buffy.”

“You love me?” the scared little girl asked for re-conformation. Terrified that well of happiness that was building was premature.

“I love you,” he smiled indulgently as he spoke, his need to convince almost as strong as her need to be convinced.

“And you’re not leaving me?”

“You’d have to dust me, pet,” he told her with absolute certainty.

Buffy seemed to sag with relief. “Thank god,” she said giving a heartfelt sigh. “’Cause that seriously would have put a damper on the whole me loving you bit.”

“You love me?” William asked in awe.

Smiling softly, her eyes shining with the love in her heart, Buffy lightly stroked his cheek. “How could I not?”