Author's Chapter Notes:
Some dialogue taken from AtS season 1 episode 17 – Eternity.
Chapter 43

**

Previously:

“You love me?” William asked in awe.

Smiling softly, her eyes shining with the love in her heart, Buffy lightly stroked his cheek. “How could I not?”

**

Spike’s mind was reeling. He had never had this before. Had never had his love reciprocated. He marvelled at the depth of emotion that kissing someone that loves you as much as you love them created. Holding her close as his lips glided gently over hers, his inner William was weeping in joy and, much to his surprise, his demon was too.

Breaking the kiss, he pulled her tightly into his embrace and buried his face in her neck; the intensity of the moment threatening to overtake him. He breathed raggedly, using the normally unneeded action to calm himself. His demon was screaming to claim her; to permanently mark her as his own. William babbled incoherently in his mind. Words like ‘marry’ and ‘worship’ were just a few of the disjointed words that slipped through. But Spike, the individual that was steering the ship, had no intention of rushing things. He wanted it all.

Buffy held him tightly, still battling the fear that had almost overwhelmed her. None of her past relationships had prepared her for the magnitude of what she felt for Spike. Her feelings for them were like a drop in the ocean compared to her love for the incredible individual she was now wrapped around. It would take her a while to convince herself that this whole thing was real. The fairy tale that she’d sought for so long was within her grasp and she was prepared to beg rather than lose it.

She mentally gasped when she finally realised that ‘normal’ would be boring in comparison; that no normal man could complete her as perfectly as Spike did. She wanted- no, needed- the demon as much as she needed the man. She wanted it all.

Lifting her gently from the floor, Spike made his way back to the couch; reluctant to be separated from her in any way. Sitting with his slayer firmly straddling his lap, he continued to hold her, drowning in her scent and warmth.

Pulling back slightly, she lifted her head and allowed their eyes to meet. His hand gently caressed her cheek as the intimacy of the moment stole her breath away.

The flickering of the living room light did not catch their immediate attention. Both totally lost in the eyes of the other. When they did finally notice the anomaly, it took them both a few moments of regrouping before what they were seeing registered.

“Why is the light doing its best impersonation of a strobe light?” Buffy asked curiously.

Twin candles lifted by unseen hands drifted towards the coffee table; landing heavily, as if making sure they were noticed. The stereo turned on and then flipped through channels until a station playing the gentle sounds of soft classical music was found.

“Think our ghosty is trying to tell us we need a more romantic setting, luv.” Spike chuckled in amusement before his eyes narrowed with a memory. “But if it ever touches my girl’s knickers again, I will find a way to make it solid, then rip its arms off!”

**

Penny was closest to the foyer when the knock came. “I’ll get it,” she said as she waved her hand at Joyce to stay seated and moved gracefully to open the door.

“Miss me?” Angel smiled at the woman, arms wide as if waiting to be hugged.

“Hardly,” she snorted with amusement. “Let me guess…more than one facial expression and an actual personality, I’m guessing the demon is in control.”

Wesley moved to Penny’s side, hoping desperately that the woman knew enough to stay inside the barrier. He’d never faced Angelus, but he’d heard the stories. He wondered briefly if, with the curse still in place, the demon would still be as vicious as the vampire had been reported to be.

“Leave, Angel. I’m warning you…”

“You’re warning me?” Angel interrupted sardonically. “What happened, Wes? Did you suddenly grow a pair? Well, that’s it, isn’t it? I mean, that’s the whole root of your inferiority complex. Well, good news, Wes, old boy! You don’t really have an inferiority complex. You’re just simply inferior.”

Penny started giggling, her light laughter gaining the vampire’s attention and causing him to frown slightly at the unexpected interruption. That wasn’t part of the script!

When she realised she had his attention, she blithely informed him why she was laughing. “I thought you were meant to be imaginative? You said exactly the same thing to him when you were slipped that happy pill. I mean, seriously, if you wanted to really torture him you should have just sung some Manilow.”

The snickers behind her told her they’d gained an audience. The affronted look on the vampire in front of her was priceless as far as she was concerned.

Pulling himself up to his full height, Angel snarled at the disrespectful bitch. NO ONE spoke to him like that. “I’ve killed people for less reason than you’re giving me right now. You don’t want to push me, little girl.”

“Little girl? Bless you,” Penny mocked, completely unfazed by the derisive delivery of the new moniker or the implied threat. “You know, I’m not sure you understand this, but for intimidation to actually have any effect, the person you’re trying to intimidate would have to care about your opinion and, well, I don’t. But, I have to admit, I’m pleased that you’re finally taking responsibility for your actions and not trying to blame someone else for your death count.”

“You’re going to regret pissing me off,” he warned her with finality, determined to break her composure.

“What? Are you planning on doing a little stalking? Some art work? Kill the fish I don’t have?” Penny snorted dismissively. “Oh, please! You call that torture? I've seen Paulie Shore act and heard Tiny Tim and David Hasslehoff sing...you’re an amateur!”

“You should stop listening to the voices in your head, daddy, they’re not as honest as Miss Edith.”

Drusilla’s lilting voice came out of the darkness behind him.

Spinning, Angel faced his insane childe as she drifted towards him.

“The pixies say that you must leave now, my Angel. You need to find yourself again so that your princess can come back to you. The stars sing and dance for what you will become. New. All new. Shiny and bright like the sun. Changes in the fabric that would have torn. Babies and beasts together and apart. All different now.” She danced as she spoke, arms high, beckoning the stars to join her. Drifting away, back into the dark, her voice drifted back to them all, “Leave, now. Grandmummy would wish it so.”

Angel moved towards the street without a word, following the advice of the voices that led him, oblivious to the speculative gazes of those he had left behind.