Chapter 49

**

Previously:

The images faded away and Buffy found herself swimming gradually towards consciousness.

“It’s about time you woke up. Looks like you’ve gotten lazy as well as skinny.”

**

“Angel,” Buffy snarled. A quick check of her surroundings showed her that she was chained to one of the outer brick walls of the mansion. The wall itself was in a well shaded area, protecting the vampire for the damaging rays of the sun as it made its way across the sky.

“Did my leaving damage you so badly that you decided to make yourself ugly to keep other guys away?” Angel asked, shaking his head as if not understanding what he was seeing.

Buffy wrapped her hand around the chain attached to the shackle on her right wrist and pulled. The only thing that moved was the dust on the wall.

“Magically enhanced to withstand slayer strength, Buff. You need to understand exactly who is in charge here.” Angel mocked lightly, shades of Angelus leaching through in his behaviour. “And that would be…me. You’re going to keep your mouth shut and do everything I say.”

Buffy’s eyes widened in disbelief. Oh hell no, that was so not happening.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing, you idiot?”

Angel moved too fast for human eyes to follow and backhanded the bound slayer before she could continue her rant. His eyes were cold and emotionless as he stepped into her personal space and met her shocked green ones. “Did I stutter?” he snarled.

“Did you say anything worth listening too?” she snarled back, unperturbed by his show of strength. She was incensed beyond measure and in serious need of getting a little payback on this second rate vampire with the second rate soul.

Almost lazily, as if an afterthought, he backhanded her again. “You don’t take orders well, Buff. But don’t worry, that’ll all change when I claim you.”

Every alarm bell within her went off. Her slayer side screamed to be released, to beat this unworthy pretender into mush, heal him, and then do it all over again.

“I am really going to enjoy watching you dust Spike after beating him to a pulp.” Leaning in so close that their noses almost touched, the vampire pushed the issue. “And you will dust him, lover. The claim will make sure of it.”

The thought of being without Spike for even a fraction of an instant slammed into her.

To Angel it must have looked like she was bowing her head in supplication to his greatness.

Buffy focused within. The distorted images from the slayer dream and the voice of the first slayer flashed through her memories. Everything she’d known in her life, all the joy, the pain, the good and the bad. She wasn’t surprised that most of the good lately involved Spike. Faced with the possibility of losing him, letting someone else have him or becoming immortal, she was beginning to realise that forever didn’t sound so bad after all.

She found the voice inside her and followed it.

‘Trust me?’

‘YES’ she answered her inner slayer and gave over control.

~*~*~

In Africa the blonde vampire was startled out of sleep and howled.

~*~*~

Buffy lifted her gaze, righteous fury flashed from her eyes. When Angel reached for her, planning to shake her for her disrespect, her skin burnt his hand and he jumped away from her in shock.

Repeating her earlier move she wrapped her right hand around the chains holding her in place and easily tore them from the wall. Repeating the action, she freed her left arm, then broke the manacles still encasing her wrists as easily as if they were made of clay. Her ankles were freed the same way.

Power radiated off her as she stood and faced the presumptuous pretender to her vampire’s calling. Jumping forward, she grabbed him around the neck. Smoke seeped between her fingers as she slammed him into the wall with as little effort as would have been needed for a rag doll. Her slayer side relished its knowledge that vampires had not seen this particular slayer skill for so long that most that had heard of it probably thought it a fable.

When she had been chosen, her innocence had been an important part of the choice. Untouched skin, blessed by the powers, had made her original body burn the dead flesh of a vampire in much the same way as religious icons do. Now that she had been allowed free reign in the body of the eternal slayer, she tested her abilities. This slayer was worthy, this slayer had chosen immortality for the right reason, this slayer knew more than the corrupted version of the mission that the accursed council had been teaching for centuries. This slayer loved.

Buffy sat back and watched what was happening to her body. It was a strange sensation; taking a back seat within your own mind. She knew what the first slayer was thinking, it wasn’t words as such, but at some deeply primal level, Buffy understood. She also understood that her slayer side was actually the first slayer; the side that was reincarnated with every slayer called. She was the immortal part of the Eternal Slayer. With her acceptance of the role of Eternal Slayer, Buffy felt it the moment the connection became permanent. She felt stronger, she felt more. She felt Faith’s power rejoin hers, and she felt Spike through the claim. He called to her like a siren song. Her slayer side sent soothing coos through the familial bond. He had been weakened and she could feel it. She needed him strong, she needed him home.

She ignored Angel as he clawed at her hand, his moans and whimpers silenced with the destruction of his voice-box.

With her senses on high alert, the Slayer recognised the scent that was closing in on them. She released the vampire and let him drop to the floor while she stepped back and allowed Buffy to take back full control.

“Speak now if you don’t think I should dust you, Angel.”

Angel’s eyes grew wide with fright as he tried unsuccessfully to make his melted voice-box work.

“Buffy?”

“Hey, Wills. Welcome back,” the blond spoke to her friend, never once taking her eyes off the vampire at her feet. What the hell was she supposed to do with him now?

Willow moved to her side, asking her version of Buffy’s own question. “How do we stop him from doing it again, Buffy?”

Buffy felt the familiar stirrings of her slayer side. Something wasn’t right. She was feeling something she shouldn’t be. Opening up her senses, she sought out the source of the anomaly. An irritated grimace crossed her features as she rolled her eyes. “Whistler, the chances of me turning your ribs into a hat are increasing all the time. Tell me why I’m not dusting him this time?” she called out in an exasperated voice.

Whistler walked nonchalantly through the double doors that led to the garden. He thought they’d be happy about the news this time, but you just never knew with the slayer.

“The bosses want to see him, Slayer. He’s really pissed them off this time.”

“Gee, colour me surprised!” Buffy said sardonically, lifting a delicate eyebrow in amusement. “You can take him, but pass on a message to the PTB for me?”

His hesitant nod encouraged her to continue.

“Make sure they understand that from this point on, if he steps foot in Sunnydale, he’s dust. No questions asked.” Buffy allowed enough of her slayer side to show through in her eyes to ensure that there would be no misunderstanding. As it was she was going to be hard pressed to stop Spike from going after the brooding wonder as soon as he learned what had happened.

With a curt nod, Whistler acknowledged her statement. He leaned over Angel, grabbed his shoulder, and they disappeared.

Buffy wrapped her arm around her redheaded friend and turned them in the direction of the exit. “So…how was your trip?”

*~*~*

Buffy and Willow breezed into 1630 Revello drive to interrupt the one kiss Buffy never wanted to see again.

“Willow, please tell me you made band candy???”