Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the final chapter of this story. I do have plans for a sequel. This story was needed in order to place everyone where I need them for the main story that I had in mind when I started this fic. I hope to start it after I have finished up some of my other commitments. Thank you all for reading this and to the wonderful people that faithfully reviewed...you have my heart.

Jack
Epilogue.

After dropping off Anya and Xander, Spike made his way to Revello drive. Taking a seat on the porch swing, he settled himself to watch the coming dawn. Peace settled over his soul as he waited, listening to the rhythmic sounds of the heartbeats within the house. His family was sleeping and the gentle beats soothed his demon.

He had missed them all so much. Even though he could feel them through the family bond, he hadn’t focused on the connection for fear of losing concentration when he faced the trials of the legendary balance demon. Now that he knew Buffy was safe, he didn’t know if he was glad he hadn’t known at the time or angry with himself that he hadn’t been here to help. He was elated with the gifts that had been bestowed upon him, but the thought that that price of those gifts could have easily been his slayer chilled him to the bone. His immortality weighed heavily on his mind. How would he survive eternity without them?

Tara watched the thoughtful vampire from her room across the street. She longed to ease his concerns but she knew that it was Buffy’s place to tell him. She smiled as the early morning sunlight seemed to touch him with hesitation, inching higher and higher until it kissed his pale features. She allowed Willow to take her into her embrace as the redhead joined her at the window. With a silent nod, she directed Willow’s gaze to the sight she was watching.

Willow quietly gasped at her first glimpse of the sun drenched vampire. “Oh, Goddess…he’s gorgeous.”

~*~*~

Buffy rolled over, reaching for something that wasn’t there. A look of disgruntled pique crossed her face before she snuggled deeper under the covers of her childhood bed. Her senses became alert before she did and the tingling in her stomach informed her slayer side that something was close. Something that was hers. The slayer urged the girl the rest of the way to wakefulness. ‘Spike’.

Buffy flew out of the bed and raced downstairs. Yay for boyfriend snuggles!

Lost in contemplation over the downside of immortality, Spike failed to notice the approaching slayer until she leaped into his lap and kissed him soundly on the lips.

“Missed you,” she whispered into his lips.

“Oh, sunshine, you have no idea,” he whispered back before pulling her tighter into his embrace and reintroducing himself to the bounty of her lips.

As Buffy broke off the kiss for a much needed breath, she realised something. “You’re in sunlight? You’re not combusting. Why aren’t you combusting? Not that I want you making with the inner glow or anything, but…?”

Spike chortled in delight at her ramblings. “Lots of neat new changes, slayer. Wanna hear?”

“Absolutely, but it’s gonna have to wait till after I get dressed. Mom is gonna pitch a fit if she finds me out here in my jammies,” Buffy giggled as she reluctantly moved from the vampires lap.

Spike smiled in contentment, happy to wait for his love’s return, happy to wait in the sun.

~*~*~

“I’m making pancakes. Why don’t you come inside and join us, William.” Joyce smiled at the blond vampire as she poked her head out front door. She and Dawn had both missed him, but her youngest was quite likely to keep interrupting the blond couple if Spike didn’t make with the family time now. In truth, the Summers matriarch couldn’t wait to find out how it was possible for him to be sitting in the sun.

Spike eagerly followed her inside. Seeing Joyce and Dawn soothed his newly received soul. They were his; his family. He had no idea how long he would have them; he was planning on making every minute count.

Once Buffy joined them in the kitchen, Spike began his tale.

“So, all you asked for was that your heart’s desire be granted?” Dawn asked excitedly. She loved that her pseudo big brother had returned and relished time in his company. It was so nice not to have to hide her adoration of him. To have him welcome in her home at all times. She loved that her mother accepted him as family; that her sister and her friend so obviously made each other happy. She was thrilled that this vampire, the one she liked, was theirs.

Spike shrugged in return. “Dru actually suggested it and I know it’s daft, but something told me to listen to her. Bloody glad I did, now!”

“So is the all-powerful soul and the new sun friendliness it, or were there some other surprises?” Buffy asked, intrigued.

“I got forgiven, pet,” he whispered, still overwhelmed with the knowledge that he had been redeemed…that his efforts had been rewarded. He hadn’t done any of it for that purpose. Spike had assumed that he would always be damned, never dreaming that his secret yearning would be answered. He had chosen to do good because he had learned he had the choice, and he wanted to be good for Buffy, for Joyce and Dawn, for the scoobies. He wanted to help, not to try and make up for the atrocities in his past – he knew he couldn’t change anything he’d done- but because he honestly believed it was the right thing to do. At first it might have been because of his new family, but it had soon been something he wanted to do for himself.

He told them of Drusilla’s theory about the guilt. He told them of her sanity and about the closeness that had developed between him, Xander, and Anya.

With the subject of Anya broached, Spike couldn’t help but complain to his girls about the mean ex-vengeance demon and her nasty habit of threatening his manly bits.

Dawn’s ‘ew’ intermingled with laughter to echo loudly throughout the house.

~*~*~

The two blond warriors casually made their way through the town and its many graveyards, both lost in their own thoughts.

Spike played with the small box in the left pocket of his duster; hesitant to bring up the subject that had been foremost on his mind for days; ever since the small blond had blithely informed him that everyone he cared about was now as immortal as he was. He mentally repeated the prophecies, reminding himself that the one he wanted desperately to come to fruition required them to be mated. He wanted it so desperately that he could taste it, but he wanted it all. He wanted to be married in the human world just as much as he wanted to be married in the demon world. His hesitation came from not knowing if she was ready yet. If she could commit, or if she really understood what eternity meant.

Buffy surreptitiously observed the vampire holding her hand. She had a sneaking suspicion that the deep thoughts he was clearly contemplating had a lot to do with the prophecies. Well, one of them, anyway. She couldn’t even begin to imagine what having his own child would mean to him. She was well enough versed in vampire lore to understand that it was not something a vampire ever thought about, but she knew her vampire. She knew that the part of him that was William would be both overwhelmed and overjoyed at the very concept of having a child of his own. But she was an old fashioned girl. She wanted to be married first.

She smiled to herself, inwardly fantasizing about her own wedding. She wondered if he was waiting for a sign from her. Maybe she needed to give him a subtle little nudge. But she was not a subtle kind of girl. This would take some thought. Maybe she could try something with the ring? They never did finish that last conversation. Lifting the long necklace that she wore from beneath her top, Buffy silently contemplated the skull ring that he’d gifted her with eighteen months earlier.

Spike watched as his girl pondered over the ring he’d given her when he popped the question the first time. Maybe she was ready after all. Maybe. God, he bloody hated that word! She was so young, but she’d experienced more in her short life than most people faced in their entire lives. She’d had her heart broken by bastards that didn’t deserve her in the first place, but then again, he wasn’t under any delusions that he deserved her either. He was so confused. He loved her so much, but he was terrified of rushing her. He needed her to be as ready for this as he was.

“Do you still want to marry me? Or is that...um...lame for a vampire?” Buffy blurted out her question, her eyes stubbornly focused on the ring she was still holding. Internally, she rolled her eyes at her attempt at subtle. Sheesh, could she be more of a twit?

Spike froze in shock. Did she…?

Buffy took a few more steps before she realised her vampire hadn’t moved with her. She knew she had to look back at him, but she was terrified. Her old insecurities bubbled to the surface. What if she’d spoiled it all? Taking a deep breath to steel herself against the possibility that she had destroyed everything by speaking out of turn, Buffy slowly turned to face the love of her life.

Relief filled her as she saw his look of total awe, but she also realised the clearly dumbstruck vampire’s features held fear. She had forgotten that he could be as insecure as she often was. This time she would leave him in no doubt!

“Spike?” she gently smiled at the gob smacked vampire. “You still in there, blondie?”

“Did you…?” he started before lapsing back into a confused silence.

“Well, I was only asking because I figured we might want to tell Mom and Dawnie, you know? I mean, especially if we’re gonna do the whole mating thing. They can’t be there for that, not that I want them there or anything, ‘cause I don’t want my mother or baby sister watching me have hot monkey sex. But a human marriage would be something they could witnes…”

Buffy was forced to break off what she was saying when the vampire she was talking to moved with speed that she hadn’t known he was capable of to kiss her with wild abandon.

“Do you mean it? You’ll marry me?” he begged her to confirm what he thought he was hearing.

“Oh, Spike,” she smiled as she gently caressed his cheek. “Of course I will.”

Slipping the box he’d kept with him for months out of his pocket, he took a deep breath then opened it, showing her the contents. “This one might fit better, luv.”

Buffy gasped as the moonlight danced off the gleaming diamond solitaire that seemed clasped by petals of gold. She watched as he gingerly removed the gorgeous ring and lifted her hand with his slightly shaking one. Their eyes locked as he placed the ring on her finger in an action he’d dreamed about for months.

“I love you, Buffy.”

“I love you, too, Spike.”

~*~*~

His growl filled the air as he reached the grove, his glowing yellow eyes searching as his senses reached out.

She was here.

The circular formation of the grassy knoll hid nothing from him. Trees ringed the moonlit area.

Her answering growl seemed to come from everywhere at once, but her scent came from the center.

Moving with the fluid grace of a predator, the vampire flowed towards her.

There.

Crouched close to the ground, her iridescent green eyes locked with his. Moonlight flitted across her ethereal beauty. Soft growls of passion reached his sensitive ears and his rumblings matching hers. Circling slowly, he moved cautiously around her. She moved with him, matching him step for sinuous step, her glittering eyes never leaving his.

As one they moved, primal urges compelling them as their lips slammed together in fiery passion. Lethal fangs sliced through vulnerable flesh as their tongues battled for supremacy. Clothing, rent by razor sharp claws, disappeared beneath the onslaught of agile fingers.

The Slayer howled with joy that her touch did not damage him. He was worthy. He was the one.

The vampire echoed her howl, the demon revelling in the power and passion of the one who would be his mate. His.

Both fought for the dominating position, rolling over and over again on the soft bed of grass. Finally her hand wrapped around his engorged member, squeezing in a grip that would have crippled an unworthy mate. He snarled with pleasure at her painful hold and latched onto one of her exposed nipples, wallowing in ecstasy at the taste of her blood as his fangs pierced her breast.

She used his momentary preoccupation with her taste to slam herself down onto his turgid length. Both gasped, she at the size of the demon’s cock as it filled her completely, he at the steel grip of the velvet walls that held him.

Turning them swiftly, the demon pounded into her with animalistic passion; lightning swift thrusts that started a fire raging within them both. Higher and higher the pressure built as she matched him thrust for thrust.

She curled her legs around his waist, her grip excruciating. He didn’t falter.

Twisting her fingers through his hair, she jerked his head to the side, exposing the bite that had claimed him as family. Snarling, she struck like a viper, tearing at his neck, desperate to mark him. After taking several strong pulls of his blood, she removed her fangs and dragged his head up to catch his eyes. Crimson dripped from her lips as she uttered her claim.

“Mine.”

Moving swiftly, he tangled his hand her hair. Exposing the delicate curve of her throat, he sank his fangs home with ferocious intensity. Three swallows of her glorious blood and his demand was made with equal fervour.

“Mine.”

Overwhelmed by the intensity of their mutual orgasms, they completed the age-old ritual, both of them gasping, ‘yours’.

Breathing heavily, their fangs receded and Buffy and Spike held tightly to each other as the claim took hold. The intensity of their shared emotions causing them both to almost black out.

Long moments later, Buffy felt compelled to ask, “Can we bring him out again?”

Spike’s laughter echoed through the darkness.

~*~*~

Joyce’s insistence on an engagement party brought everyone to Revello drive. It had been a long time since the house had been filled with the healthy sound of people laughing and joking in joyful abandon.

This group knew that their lives would be filled with turmoil and fighting. The Council would probably be their first battle as a team, so they had made a pact to enjoy their rare downtime whenever they could.

Happy couples surrounded the room, with Buffy and Spike the center of attention. Cordelia and Doyle had decided to share their own engagement with the blond couple, but both Buffy and Cordelia had flatly refused to even contemplate a double wedding.

Tara and Willow held hands, happy to have once again found the internal beauty of each other. Well, the internal beauty that Willow had temporarily lost. Tara had always been beautiful.

Anya and Xander were also closer. Xander had taken Penny’s advice and discussed his fears with the woman he loved. Together, they were working at undoing the damage his family had done to him.

Fred and Wesley shyly presented their own new relationship, as did Joyce and Giles. The older couple’s caution had nothing to do with shyness. Both were still smarting from Spikes uproarious laughter, followed by his threats of bodily harm if Giles ever hurt Joyce.

Dawn flitted from group to group, much like a bee collecting pollen. Gunn and Drusilla seemed to follow in her wake.

Penny stood and watched them all. Her own date was due to arrive at any moment, and she was a little nervous about the group’s reaction to the man she had worked hard to cultivate. She hoped they would be accepting of him, because she had no plans on letting him slip away.

When the doorbell rang, the psychologist moved swiftly to answer it.

Buffy, noticed the newest arrival from across the room. She felt a jolt of recognition, but couldn’t place him. The Armani suit indicated money, and the absence of tingles told her he was human, but more than that, she just couldn’t figure out. He was strangely familiar, but she had no idea where she might know him from.

Willow, Xander, and Spike joined her when they noticed the puzzled expression on the slayer’s face.

“What’s up Buff?” Xander naturally spoke up first.

“Penny’s date. I know him, I just can’t remember where from.”

Both Willow and Xander looked over to the man who was now blushing with embarrassment, clearly aware of their perusal. Neither one of them recognised the well dressed brunette.

When Spike burst into laughter, the original scoobies stared at him askance, their confusion clear. He doubled over, bellowing with mirth at their confused expressions and the identity of Penny’s secret lover.

“Bloody hell, it's Willy!”