Chapter 9

**
Previously:

Silence echoed through the line until a small voice asked tremulously, “Angel was human?”

**
“Buffy, trust me, it’s not like she’s implying,” Angel quickly assured the girl.

“Then tell me what it was like, Angel.” Buffy struggled to control her emotions, reaching to the nearest hand and clutching it. Luckily the hand happened to be Spike’s, had it been anyone else - the force of her grip would have crippled them. As it was, the crack of bones was audible to everyone but the oblivious girl who sat waiting for a reply.

Giles silently moved to his office, when he returned he handed Spike a very large glass of scotch. Gratefully acknowledging the watcher, Spike downed the contents immediately. He smiled shyly at Willow and Tara when he noticed each giving him empathizing grimaces. His head was reeling, was this really happening to him? Were the Scoobies actually being nice to him? Was he really being given the chance he wanted; the chance to belong? He was brought out of his reverie when a paper plate with spicy chicken wings was carefully placed in front of him. His head shot up. Standing in front of him was Xander, the vulnerable look in his eyes, belied his goofy grin. “Clean slate. Thought you might be hungry, fang face,” he whispered.

“Thanks mate,” Xander wasn’t sure, but the heartfelt whispered words from the bleached blond seemed to be for more than the food. The look of awe and gratitude in the eyes of the vampire gave Xander the distinct impression that he was giving food to a starving man, but it wasn’t the food on the plate that Spike was starving for. With that one look, Xander let go of past prejudices and became a man.

With the exception of Buffy and Spike, everyone helped themselves to the newly arrived pizzas and focused in on what Angel was saying.

“So, I asked them to take the day back,” Angel finished his tale.

“Let me get this straight; you fought a demon that had magical blood and when your blood mixed with his, hey presto, you’re human. You went to these oracle-y people, gave them your watch and they told you that you were released; free to enjoy your new life as a human. You then spent the day with me and there was lots of non-curse-removing sex. Later, we had to again fight the demon with the magic blood and because of what the demon said about more warriors coming and the fact that you were useless in the fight and I had to save you, you went back to the all knowing oracles and they told you that you might be able to stop me from dying if you were still a vampire, so you asked them to take the day back so you could kill the demon before he made you human again?” Buffy questioned, her voice emotionless.

“Yes!” Angel exclaimed. His voice displayed his relief at her understanding.

“I see…and you did all this for me?” Buffy asked flatly.

“Yes!” Angel seemed elated that she was comprehending the reasons behind his actions.

“So the answer to Penny’s question of how, with me living in Sunnydale and all, you can protect me from L.A would be…?” Buffy asked mildly; her tone not betraying her emotions as she continued to squeeze Spike’s hand.

“That’s not fair, Buffy,” Angel gently chided her, “I have a life here. You know you can always call if you need help.”

“Don't worry about it Angel,” Buffy quipped.

Cocking her head, Buffy then seemed to revert to a typical valley girl persona, “I mean, it’s not like I don't have back up. Come to think about it, it actually works out better this way. There are no...um... personality clashes. I mean, well, everybody likes Spike ....”

“SPIKE!” Angel bellowed.

“It’s all of the good,” Buffy chirped, “And besides…he’s totally a better fighter than you anyway! I’ll be plenty safe.”

“I’m coming to Sunnydale. Spike, if you’re still there when I get there, you’ll wish you weren’t,” Angel ground out.

Angel’s declaration caused an immediate response from a grinning Xander, “So, we’re going with dusting Angel then are we?”

“If you come to Sunnydale Angel, you won’t be able to wish for anything,” Buffy pronounced her decision coldly and with finality. “Your get-out-of-jail-free card just expired.”

Surprised gasps sounded through the phone. “You can’t be serious,” Angel almost whispered, his voice laced with anguish.

“Deadly,” Buffy dropped the axe on her ex-lover. “Wes, you know what to do and I expect to be informed immediately of any developments. End of the world is more important than friendship, Wes. This prophecy can not be allowed to be fulfilled.”

“I understand, Buffy,” Wes agreed, firmly.

“Buffy?” Angel pleaded.

Buffy ignored him as she said goodnight to the LA group and hung up. Turning to Penny, Buffy asked the question that was on all their minds. “Do you think he’ll turn up?”

“No idea, but if I had to guess…I’d guess yes. He’ll convince himself that he can change your mind, or save you from the evil clutches of whomever it is that’s influencing you,” Penny blandly gave her opinion.

“So, other than pizza, what’s next on the menu?” Buffy asked cheerfully.

As she reached over to grab a slice of pizza, she noticed she was still holding Spike’s hand. Spike’s broken hand. Releasing it gently, she lifted her remorse filled eyes to his. “Oh God, I’m so sorry, Spike.”

“Did it help?” He asked her seriously.

“Yes,” She assured him.

“Then it was worth it.” He told her with a shrug. “But, I wouldn’t say no to a little assistance from the witches. No spells, mind,” he added as an afterthought, indicating to them all that the pain was extensive. Spike didn’t like or trust magic, to ask for even a poultice was a huge admission.

As the two witches hurried around the shop, gathering supplies for their remedy, Giles brought the conversation back to Buffy’s original question. “I believe Anya was going to inform us of the changes in council policy next. That is, as long as you’re sure you’re ready to go on, Buffy?”

“I’m fine, Giles. Tonight’s been a bit of an eye opener and it might hit me differently later, but for now…I’m kinda relieved,” Buffy told her watcher. “But, if Anya doesn’t mind, lets get Spike looked after before we do anything else, okay?”

With the acquiescence of Anya and Giles, Buffy and Spike moved to the training room, followed closely by Willow and Tara.

While the witches worked on Spike’s hand and Spike seemed to stare off into nothing, Buffy took the opportunity to study him. She knew that total understanding of all that she had heard tonight would require much more processing time than she’d so far had, but she had to admit that the apparent change of attitude that had been directed at the blond vampire had brought forward a side of Spike that she had never witnessed before. She had enjoyed watching the shared camaraderie developing between Xander, Giles and Spike. The complete lack of aggression and vitriolic commentary, that had seemed to vacate the premises with Riley had been relaxing. Could they be friends? She didn’t know, but suddenly, she very much wanted to find out.

While Buffy was contemplating him, Spike’s mind was racing through everything that he had learned that evening. “When those bastards put this thing in my head, they took away who I was…my…er…sense of self, you could say,” Spike began quietly, still focusing somewhere off in the distance. “I didn’t know who I was any more, and I didn’t know how to become something different. They took away my choices, but…what she said in there, it made me feel like I had ‘em back, you know? I could take back control of my life and make the choices I want to. On my terms.” He finally looked at the three girls listening to him and smiled. “She gave me back my dignity.”

“What do you choose?” Tara asked, smiling her soft and gentle smile at the joyous vampire.

“I want to be a champion.”