Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for your reviews - they continue to inspire me. I don't know when my next update will be as I am going back to work tomorrow and then its busy busy busy, but I will keep trying to update as often as I can. Keep reviewing to let me know you care - enjoy...
Chapter 21

“How’s the right hook, luv?” Spike asked as they got into the car. After the confrontation with Angel, Buffy and Spike decided they would stay long enough to meet Oz and then head home.

“It’s better. Not so much with the ouch anymore.”

“Good,” Spike said, taking her hand and bringing it to his mouth and pressing a kiss to her knuckles. “Remind me never to get on the wrong side of you.”

“Well Angel deserved it,” Buffy said, decidedly, as he started the car, drove out of the parking lot beside the Bronze and headed down Main Street.

“That he did, pet.”

“How dare he punch you! And how dare he even suggest that I would want to have anything to do with him. I mean, ego much!”

Spike had not heard what Angel had said to Buffy; he’d only seen him touch her. “What do you mean?”

“He told me I was wasting my time with you and that only he could give me what I need. Like I said, ego much.”

Spike looked affronted. “Soddin’ wanker! What does he know about pleasing women? He thinks its all about the kink.”

“Well, I don’t care what he says,” Buffy said, leaning closer to kiss his neck. “I happen to think I got the better deal. I mean, it’s been a while, but I remember you being very good at the pleasing.”

Spike fought against closing his eyes. “Kitten, not that I don’t really love what you’re doing, but if you wanna arrive home in one piece, you might wanna save it till we get there.”

Buffy pouted. “Spoilsport.”

They stopped at a red light. “Look at that lip; gonna get it…gonna get it…” He dropped a brief kiss on her lips while he waited for the lights to change.

Five minutes later they arrived back at the mansion and instead of going straight to the staff annex, Spike lead her through the main house to the kitchen, where he gestured to her to sit down on one of the stools at the breakfast bar, while he made hot chocolate.

“Complete with those tiny marshmallows?” she asked.

“Anything you want, pet.”

While he started heating up the milk, Buffy excused herself to use the bathroom. He directed her to a powder room down the hall and when Buffy found it, she was amazed at the opulence of the room, wondering why anyone would waste their money on such lavish decoration.

Not that it mattered. While once, Buffy would have felt uncomfortable with such obvious displays of wealth, she no longer felt that the wealth of Spike’s family had any bearing on their relationship.

In fact everything was going well with them and her biggest fear – that Spike was really just looking for another excuse to get her into bed – never even arose. While they had been overwhelmed by passion on occasion – tonight at the Bronze and the incident in the library being prime examples – Spike had never pushed her to go any further than she was ready to.

Knowing there was no pressure made her feel much more comfortable around him and while she did want him, she still didn’t feel quite ready to take that final step. Sometimes it didn’t seem so important considering they’d already had sex in the past, but in truth, she wanted to know that she could trust him completely to want to be there for her in every way.

Not that that meant they couldn’t have some fun together. After tonight she really wanted to touch him, maybe even taste him the way he had done to her in LA.

When she returned to the kitchen, she saw that Spike was on the phone. “Ok, Da,” he said. “We’ll be there as soon as we can.”

“What’s wrong?” Buffy asked, as he put the phone down.

Spike paused, turning to face her and taking her hand in his. “Pet, its your mum. There’s been an accident.”


An hour later, Buffy sat on one of the hard hospital chairs. The doctors were still with her mother and no one had come to speak to her yet. When they’d arrived at the hospital, Spike’s dad had been there waiting for them.

“It was a collision with a car driving the wrong way down a one way street,” he’d told them.

“But my mom doesn’t have a car,” Buffy had said, her brow furrowed in confusion.

Giles had taken off his glasses and begun cleaning them. “Well…uh…it was my car. Joyce and I were driving back from a restaurant…we were having dinner together.”

Spike had only been a little surprised at his father’s admission. He had had his suspicions about the relationship between his father and Buffy’s mother ever since he got the call from his dad about Joyce, but he’d decided to keep quiet.

“You and my mom are…”

“We’re…dating,” Giles had confirmed.

“But she’s your maid,” Buffy had said, without thinking. “I’m sorry, Mr. Giles. That didn't come out how I meant."

“It’s ok. I understand. You’re upset about your mother. And I know it must be difficult for you to comprehend, but Joyce has never felt like an employee to me. Not long after the two of you moved in, we found out we both had a common interest in Renaissance art and through many conversations and cups of tea, we realized we also have another common interest in…uh…each other.”

“Why didn’t she tell me?”

“I guess she was afraid. She knew how hard her divorce from your father had hit you and she was worried about how you'd react to her moving on.”

“Miss Summers?”

Buffy was startled out of her reverie to see a man in scrubs standing at the door to the resuscitation area.

“Miss Summers, my name is Dr. Ben Weber. I’ve been attending your mother.”

Buffy stood up. “How is she?”

“Well, Joyce has sustained blunt trauma to the head as a result of the collision and her brain has induced a coma in order to preserve neurological function.”

“Is she gonna wake up?” Buffy said, her voice wobbling.

“In the majority of cases like this, the patient makes a full recovery.”

“Can we see her?” Giles asked.

“I’m afraid at the moment I can only allow relatives in but once we move her upstairs, you’ll be allowed to see her.”

As Buffy went to follow the doctor back into the resuscitation area, Spike put his hand on her shoulder. "Buffy?" Turning, she flew into his embrace. “She’s gonna be ok, luv,” he whispered, holding her.

“I hope so.”

“Your mum is young and healthy and she’s got everything to live for. She’s not going anywhere. Now you toddle off and see her and give her our love – and I’ll be here waiting for you when you get back.”


It was after midnight by the time Buffy and Spike returned to the mansion. Giles had decided he was going to stay with Joyce and would let them know the minute there was any news.

While Buffy had said she wasn’t hungry, Spike had insisted on making more hot chocolate, telling Buffy it would help her sleep and Buffy was too mentally exhausted to really protest.

“Spike, I’m scared,” Buffy whispered, as they sat at the breakfast bar.

Spike got up and drew her into his arms. “Oh kitten.” He stroked her hair and pressed light kisses on his head.

“Spike, I don’t wanna be alone tonight.”

“Its ok, pet. I’ll stay with you.”

“Spike, I need you…”

“You’ve got me, luv. I’m not going anywhere.”

Buffy pulled back from his embrace and looked into his eyes and she knew. She knew he would always be there for her no matter what. He had proved himself over and over again and she knew that it was time to take that step – to give herself to him completely. This wasn’t about comfort – yes, she was upset about her mother, but that had no bearing on her feelings for Spike. They had been clear for a while now, she just hadn’t trusted them. But now she did.

“No, Spike,” she said. “I need you. I need you to…make love to me.”