Author's Chapter Notes:
See below...
A/N: Hey guys - I'm back. Thought I'd never make it but sometimes I surprise myself. Things have been so hectic, but I made a promise to myself that by the end of the easter break, I would have this fic finished and I've succeeded. Its complete, but I will be posting each chapter separately once I have had five or more reviews for each one - I feel it necessary to take reader's views into account and I may need to change parts of following chapters before posting. A form of blackmail I know, but Spike seems to inspire some badness in me...




Chapter 25

The bell rang for lunch and Buffy made her way towards the cafeteria, where she knew Spike would be waiting.

She and Spike had now been together for almost two and a half months and over the past month, her fellow students had become much more accepting of their relationship. There were still the occasional few snide remarks, but Buffy had learnt to ignore them. The politics which had always been so well-established at Sunnydale High no longer seemed so important. Though the populars were still the populars, the group had definitely divided and with Spike no longer being a part of it, it didn’t quite hold the same sway that it once had.

As she approached the canteen, the smell of boiled cabbage permeated the air and Buffy began to feel nauseous. She had been off school for the past couple of days with a tummy bug, but this morning she had felt better and decided to go in. But apparently that hadn’t been such a good idea.

She managed to reach the nearest bathroom and find an empty cubicle, before parting with the contents of her stomach. When the nausea finally subsided, she sat on the floor of the cubicle, taking deep breaths to help her feel better.

Eventually, after rinsing her mouth out and finding a stick of gum to take away the acrid taste in her mouth, she made it to the cafeteria. As she walked through the door, Spike came to meet her, obviously concerned at her late arrival.

“Pet, you ok?”

“Not so great. Guess I shouldn’t have come back to school today.”

“Tummy’s still making with the gurglies?”

“In the extreme sense.”

“Poor baby. You want me to take you home?”

Buffy nodded and putting his arm around her, Spike led her out of the cafeteria and down the maze of corridors to her locker so she pick up her books. Then they made their way out to the car park.

When they arrived home, Spike helped Buffy into bed, before fetching her a glass of water. While she lay there curled up in a fetal position, he sat on the end of the bed alternately rubbing her back and stroking her hair.

“So much for going to Xander’s party tonight,” she murmured.

Today was Xander’s birthday and Cordelia had decided to throw a party for her boyfriend at her parents’ mansion. Xander had invited both Spike and Buffy and though they knew that Angel, Darla and Dru would also be there, they had been looking forward to it.

“Don’t worry about it, sweetheart. Xander’ll understand. You just concentrate on getting better. I’ll head down to the video rental store and pick up a couple of movies for us to watch.”

Buffy gingerly sat up, being careful not to disturb her tender stomach. “You should still go. Xander’s your friend and it’s his birthday.”

“Its ok, pet. I’m happy to stay here with you.”

Buffy smiled. “I know you are, baby, but there’s no sense in both of us missing out on the fun. And I have my mom to look after me.”

“Buffy…”

“Please, Spike. I want you to go.”

Spike sighed. “Ok, I’ll make you a compromise. I’ll go to the party for a couple of hours and then I’ll come back and see you how you’re feeling.”

“Ok,” Buffy agreed.

“Now, I have to get back to school otherwise I’m going to miss seventh and eighth and with my college acceptance letters due, I really can’t afford to be lax.” He kissed her on her forehead as she lay back down. “I’ll see you when I get home.”


Several hours later, Spike walked through the door of the Chase mansion. He wormed his way through the masses of people, some of them already smashed, even though the party had only started just over an hour ago.

Having been to Cordelia’s place several times in the past, he knew the layout of the house well and headed in the direction of the kitchen, where he located the kegs and grabbing a plastic cup, he poured himself a beer. Returning to the living room, he snatched up a free space on one of sofas and sat nursing his beer and watched the array of guests, some sitting chatting to their friends, some stumbling across the room in direction of the kegs, some dancing while not so subtly feeling each other up. Usually he’d be among them, but this was the first party he’d been to at Cordelia’s where he wasn’t having fun. These days, he spent most of his free time with Buffy and he just didn’t enjoy himself as much when she wasn’t around.

Not only that but he was worried about his girl. He knew it was just a tummy bug and that her body just had to recuperate in its own time, but he hated seeing her ill. She never complained but he could see it in her eyes how awful she felt. He wanted to be home looking after her rather than at this party, but it was Xander’s birthday and he had promised her he’d go, so he’d stick it out for another couple of hours.

About half an hour later, he was accosted by Xander – a steadily getting trashed Xander – on the way back from the bathroom.

“Spike!”

“Hey whelp, happy birthday!”

They shook hands and then Xander dragged Spike back to the kitchen to get them both another beer, where they sat talking and drinking.

“Dude, I’m so wasted,” Xander slurred, as he drained his cup and put it down on the counter with such force that it fell over and the excess liquid dripped onto his lap.

“You look it, mate,” Spike said. “But this beer’s doing nothing for me. I need something stronger.”

Xander grinned. “I know where the key is for Cordy’s dad’s liquor cabinet.”

Spike grinned back, holding up his plastic cup. “Lead the way.”

Minutes later, he was happily ensconced in a corner of the living room with a bottle of JD, while Xander sat beside him, his head lolling to the side. He chuckled at his friend’s drunken stupor as he took long swallows of the spirit straight from the bottle. He’d stay a little longer at the party to check his friend hadn’t fallen into a beer-induced coma and then he’d head home to check on Buffy. Deciding he needed to use the bathroom again, he recapped the bottle, slid it behind the sofa out of sight of the other guests and headed for the upstairs.


Drusilla walked into one of the many bedrooms in the Chase mansion and smiled at the sight of Spike passed out on the bed. Climbing onto it, she straddled him and started undoing the buttons of his shirt. He didn’t even stir.

“Leave him alone, Dru.”

She turned her head to see Angel lounging in the doorway and pouted. “But Mummy’s naughty puppy needs to be punished.”

“It’s not time for that now. Mummy’s naughty puppy will have had all kinds of punishment by the time the plan’s complete.” He walked over to Spike and shook him, but no movement was forthcoming. “The sedative worked like a charm, didn’t it?”

Drusilla nodded her head with glee. “He was playing hide and seek with Jack, but the pixies told me where to find it. Did you get my prize?”

Angel nodded and fished about in his pocket, before pulling something out and handing it to Drusilla, who clapped her hands with delight. “Sunshine won’t be convinced without proof.”

Angel grinned and pulled her into his arms. “You’re right as always, my ripe, wicked plum. The rats will fall into the trap perfectly.” He kissed her hard. “Spike will be yours again soon my sweet. And Buffy will be mine.”