Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as always for all the reviews. They are really encouraging and also help me to think about where to go next. In the next chapter, there will be a little insight into Spike's take on his 'relationship' with Buffy, as I know some of you have been wondering about. Hope you like this chapter too and keep reviewing!
Chapter 3

The last thing Buffy wanted to do was go to the Bronze. But Willow’s cousin Devon and his band, Dingoes Ate My Baby were playing tonight and Willow had promised him that she would be there and that she would bring a friend. Buffy also knew that Willow had a little crush on Oz, the band’s bass player and she really wanted Buffy’s opinion.

If she hadn’t had such an awful day then maybe she would have felt more like going. But today had been one disaster after another. First off, there had been the skirmish with Spike’s car, which had left her a little out of sorts and then she’d got a D on a geometry paper. And to top it all off, she’d seen major sparks flying between Spike and the mysterious new girl during lunch. At the end of the day, Buffy was ready to go home and curl up in bed.

Then to make things even worse, she had been in the girls’ bathroom when she’d overheard Harmony talking to her cronies.

“Who does she think she is? She’s not even Spike’s type. He’s always gone for blondes before, like me. I should be the one he’s walking to class, not some gothic skank who looks like a reject from the Addams Family. Just because her father owns all those jewelry stores. And what kind of a name is Drusilla anyway – God, her parents must’ve hated her.”

Listening to Harmony going on and on in her whiny little voice, Buffy had sat tucked away in a cubicle, her eyes filling with tears. She had seen the sparks between Spike and this ‘Drusilla’ girl from her seat over at the ‘rejects’ table, but if even Harmony was commenting on it, then the situation must be serious.

Harmony had always had a thing for Spike, but according to the gossips, had never done much more than make out with him. But still the deluded blonde seemed to consider herself to be Spike’s unofficial girlfriend. Everyone knew that Spike was a player and was often seeing several girls at any one time, but Harmony never seemed to be worried, especially as she was the only one of his ‘girls’ who was part of his inner circle – until now. And if Harmony viewed Drusilla as a threat then clearly Spike’s interests in her were as far more than a conquest.

The thought of going to the Bronze and possibly seeing Spike and Drusilla made Buffy feel sick. But she had promised Willow and she never broke a promise to her best friend. She would go and hopefully she would have a good time. After all, with such an awful day behind her, things couldn’t really get any worse.


When she arrived at the Bronze, she quickly found Willow sitting at a corner table. She eyed the booth where Spike’s group usually sat and was glad that because of the angle of her table, she couldn’t really see any of them – she had no wish to watch Spike making moon eyes at Drusilla.

Then she saw Spike stand up and head over to the bar. She really wished she could go and talk to him, but she knew that he would ignore her as he always did in public places.

“Buffy?”

She turned to face Willow. “Yeah?”

“I asked what you thought of Oz.”

Buffy looked over at the stage and caught sight of a short guy with spiky red hair playing the bass guitar. Though she didn’t find him attractive, she could see why Willow did and she would be happy if her best friend got together with him.

“Yeah, he’s nice.”

“Buffy, are you ok?”

She would have preferred not to have to deal with seeing Spike tonight, but apart from that she was ok. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You just seem a little distracted.”

“I’m just tired, Will, and I’ve had a pretty awful day what with getting that geometry paper back.”

Willow knew that wasn’t the only thing that was bothering her friend. She had also seen the sparks between Spike and the new girl and she knew that it must have made Buffy unhappy watching the two of them.

Turning back to the bar, Buffy saw Drusilla standing behind Spike with her arms around him whispering in his ear. Then he saw them head to the dance floor. She didn’t want to watch, but she couldn’t tear her eyes away as they grinded together, Spike’s hands running up and down her back and finally settling on her ass.

She couldn’t look anymore, it hurt too much. She stood up and turned to Willow. “I need some fresh air, Will.”

“Do you want me to come with you?”

“No, you stay here. I’ll be fine.”

She headed across the club to the back door and walked out into the alley. Standing in the shadows she leant back against the brick wall and tried to blink away her tears. It was so unfair. Drusilla’s father owned a load of stores, so it was acceptable for Spike to practically have sex with her in public. But it wasn’t acceptable for anyone to know he slept with Buffy, because her mother was a maid. High school politics was so crap sometimes. If only she’d met Spike before her parents' divorce. Back then she’d been popular and rich and he wouldn’t have thought twice about dating her – he definitely wouldn’t have been ashamed of his friends knowing about them.

But if onlys and what ifs weren’t gonna change things. How it was, was how it had to be.

Feeling only slightly better, she decided to head back inside. She would only stay for a little longer, until the band finished their set. She hadn’t been lying when she’d told Willow that she was tired.

Suddenly the back door to the club slammed open and two people flew out, one of them swiftly pushing the other up against the wall and kissing them. Buffy wrinkled her brow in disgust – why would anyone want to have sex in a dirty alleyway? She didn’t want to watch, but she was too embarrassed to go back inside in case they saw her.

Just then, the light from a streetlamp illuminated the couple and Buffy saw a flash of bleach blond hair. She gasped, realizing it was Spike and Drusilla. She stood rooted to the spot, unable to move as Drusilla curled her legs around Spike’s hips and he pushed her dress up. Seeing him lunge, she suddenly grasped the reality of the situation and took off running.

When the Bronze was far behind her, Buffy stopped to catch her breath before throwing up. When she had nothing left to part with, she leaned against the wall and allowed the tears to fall.

Part of her couldn’t believe what she had just witnessed, but the reality of it was burned on her brain. She couldn’t get the images out of her head. She always been aware that she wasn’t the only woman in Spike’s life, but not having the evidence presented to her made it easier to not focus on it, and not focusing on it made it easier to deal with.

Not anymore, she thought, attempting to wipe the tears from her eyes as she slowly walked home. Seeing him with Drusilla meant she could no longer ignore the fact of that she was just another notch on Spike's belt.