Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as always for the reviews. Most of them have been really lovely as well as constructive. Just a note to those of you who are thinking of giving up on this fic: PLEASE DON'T! I know at the moment some of you hate Spike but I did warn you that he would be evil for several chapters. I would also like to point out THERE WILL BE SPUFFY IN THIS FIC!!!! Anyone who has read my first fic, The ArrangEment will know how much I love Spuffy. But this fic has places to go and putting Spuffy in right now would ruin the mojo. So please hang in there and use your staying power because things are gonna start to change around here...
Chapter 5

The Monday after Buffy had seen Spike and Drusilla together at the Bronze, the rumors had started circulating that Spike had asked her out and the pair were officially a couple.

Now they had been dating for a month and though it still hurt to watch the two of them holding hands on their way to class or kissing in front of his locker or arriving to school together in his DeSoto, Buffy was starting to get used to it. She still loved Spike, but she was making an effort to get over him; no matter how long it took, she was determined not to let Spike win.

The worst of it was when Spike brought Drusilla, or as Buffy secretly liked to call her, his vampiric ho-bag, to the house. It meant that Buffy had to spend more and more time in her room or over at Willow’s house, because she’d rather claw her own eyes out than watch Spike and Drusilla all over each other.

She was glad that Spike had made no more efforts to come to her room since he had started going out with Drusilla. She didn’t want anything to do with him and was sure that she’d say no if he came knocking, but a little part of her was worried that she might not have the willpower to refuse him.

The bell rang and Buffy headed towards the library where she’d planned to meet Willow as they both had study hall. Entering the library, she quickly spotted her redheaded friend sitting at a table in the corner, talking to a tall guy with brown hair.

“Hey Will,” she said when she reached the table.

“Hey Buffy, how are you?”

“I’m good. Just had the most boring history lesson ever though.”

Willow laughed then gestured to the guy standing next to the table. “Buffy, this is Riley Finn. He’s just returned to school today after taking a few months out.”

“I fell off a horse while visiting my grandparents back home in Iowa and busted my knee,” Riley explained. “The last six months have been a series of knee ops.”

“But you’re ok now, I hope?” Buffy asked.

“Yeah fit as a fiddle. Just gotta be careful before getting back on another horse. Anyways I better get to class. Nice meeting you Buffy. Good to see you again too, Willow.”

“You too, Riley,” Willow said.

Buffy watched him as he walked towards the door of the library and then blushed beet red, when he looked back and caught her staring. He grinned at her and then left.

“Oh my God, I am so embarrassed,” Buffy cried, turning to Willow in mortification. “He must have thought I was really weird for staring at him like that.”

“I doubt it, Buffy. Riley’s not like that. He’s really sweet.”

“And gorgeous.”

“I thought you might have noticed,” Willow said, giggling. “He is kinda cute, isn’t he? And I think he liked you.”

Buffy giggled nervously. “Don’t be silly.”

“I’m not. He’s handsome, he’s a nice guy. Maybe I should invite him to the Bronze next time we go.”

“Willow…”

“You don’t have to say it, Buffy. I understand how it’s been for you seeing Spike and Drusilla together. But I really think its time you got over this crush of yours and Riley might be just the guy to help you.”


Later that evening, Buffy couldn’t help thinking about what Willow had said. While everyone always said that time was the greatest healer, she’d also heard people say that there’s no easier way to get over one guy than to date another. Riley seemed nice and she definitely didn’t want him to be rebound guy, but why should she sit around in her room crying over the tatters of a relationship that never was, when Spike was having all the fun with Drusilla.

Picking up her hair brush, she started brushing her hair while she imagined dancing with Riley at the Bronze.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her door open and she turned expecting to see her mother and was taken aback when she saw Spike standing in the doorway.

He flashed her his trademark smirk and walked towards her. “‘Ello, luv.”

Buffy immediately backed away from him. “Spike, what are you doing here?”

He arched his eyebrow. “What do you think?”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was seeing or hearing. After not coming anywhere near her for over a month, he had seemingly decided that he still wanted her and he fully expected to just pick up where he’d left off. Feeling the anger wash over her at his audacity, Buffy tightened her hold on her hairbrush, right at that moment wishing she could bash him over the head with it.

“I think you should go and find Drusilla.”

“She’s busy.”

“So you thought you’d come knocking at my door? I’m touched.” Buffy didn’t attempt to hide the sarcasm in her voice.

“Buffy, what’s wrong?”

Buffy’s voice rose. “What’s wrong? How can you even ask me that? You have a girlfriend or did you forget?”

“Dru doesn’t have to know.”

It was suddenly clear to Buffy exactly what was going on. Spike might not be interested in her when he had his vampiric ho-bag to take care of his needs, but as soon as she was unavailable, he went looking for someone who could fulfill them. He was a selfish bastard and totally deluded. He expected to just click his fingers and have her service him. Well, he had another thing coming – Buffy had allowed him to keep coming to her when he had still been ‘spreading the love’ around Sunnydale, but now that he was supposedly in a committed relationship with Drusilla, she was holding up the stop sign. The whole situation had given her the incentive and the courage to stand up and decide that she wasn’t gonna allow him to use her anymore.

“God Spike, you are something else!”

Misinterpreting her disbelief as surrender, Spike grinned again, moving even closer. “You got that right, luv.”

Taking hold of her hip, he slid his hand between her legs to touch her and then tried to kiss her. Immediately Buffy pushed him away, feeling sick. The thought of him kissing her with the same mouth he kissed Drusilla with or touching her with the same hands he touched Drusilla with, made bile rise in her throat.

“Get away from me Spike! Go and find some other girl to play with!”

Spike pouted, obviously still believing he could win this. “But I wanna play with you.”

Buffy stared him in the face, letting him see the anger in her eyes. “Well I don’t wanna play with you. You have a girlfriend, Spike. Maybe that doesn’t mean anything to you, but it means something to me. I’m not gonna let you use me to scratch an itch when she’s not around – I am not a relationship wrecker. So get it into your head, Spike Giles – if I'm not suitable girlfriend material, then I'm definately not gonna be your sexual plaything. From now on, this girl is off limits! Now get out of my room before I scream and wake the whole house.”

Finishing her rant, Buffy looked him square in the eye letting him see that she meant every word. And it must have hit home because all traces of Spike’s smirk was gone and instead he just stood there stiff as a post for a few moments before turning and leaving the room.

Taking a deep breath, Buffy felt a feeling of triumph wash over her. She had sent him away without giving in to his legendary charm. She was done letting Spike Giles walk all over her. And maybe it was wrong, but at that moment she knew of something else she could do to make sure Spike believed what she's said.

Tomorrow she was going to invite Riley Finn to go to the Bronze.