Author's Chapter Notes:
I felt so bad for making y'all wait that I decided to post another chapter while I have the time. Spike is a little nasty in this chapter but jealousy can have some nasty effects so don't hate him too much, he will begin to change soon, but it'll be a slow process. Anyways, enjoy...
Chapter 7

Buffy sat next to Riley in his Land Rover as he signaled to turn into the school parking lot. He had taken to giving Buffy a ride to school every day for the past couple of months, and so not to appear as though he was badgering her on the issue of their potential relationship, he also usually gave Willow a ride, although today her friend was at home in bed with the flu.

Just as Riley was about to turn into the lot, Spike’s black Desoto came careering down the street from the other direction and cut ahead of Riley to get through the gates, causing Riley to slam on the brakes and Buffy to get thrown forward by the jolt of the vehicle, though luckily she was wearing a safety belt and was unhurt.

Riley uttered a mild curse. “Buffy, are you ok?”

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Buffy assured him.

“What an idiot. Just because Spike Giles is rich and popular doesn’t mean he should always get whatever he wants.”

Buffy covered his hand with hers to placate him. “It doesn’t matter. He doesn’t matter.”

Finding a parking space, Riley stopped the car and they both hopped out. As they walked side by side towards the main entrance of the school, Buffy caught sight of Spike lounging against his car, his gaze fixed on her. She spared him a brief glance and then turned back to say goodbye to Riley who had phys-ed first and second period. She felt Spike’s gaze metaphorically boring holes in her back as she kissed Riley on the cheek and then joined the crowd of students heading through the double doors.

So Spike wasn’t jealous, huh? Well he had a funny way of showing it. Not that she cared but at least it gave him a taste of his own medicine, even if the only reason he was jealous was because he couldn’t get what he wanted.

Not that it mattered. As she’d said to Riley, Spike didn’t matter, not even to her. She had Riley, who was a great friend and would be a lovely boyfriend as soon as she was ready to take that step. And best of all – he didn’t care about her living arrangements or how her mother earned a living; Riley treated her with the respect she deserved. She smiled to herself – things were looking up for her and nothing was going spoil her good mood, not first period chemistry and definitely not Spike.


After two hours of phys-ed, Spike and the rest of the guys in his class headed for the locker room. After a shower, he headed back to his locker to get dressed. Having always gone commando, he’d only pulled on his jeans, when he saw Riley Finn walk into the changing area and slammed his locker shut with more force than he’d intended.

He didn’t get why he was so riled by Finn and Buffy’s burgeoning relationship. He wasn’t jealous like she’d suggested that night at the Bronze, it was just that he didn’t get why Buffy wanted to waste her time with a nobody like Finn when she could have a somebody like him.

“Hey Finn, I’ve seen you knocking around with that Summers chick.” Spike heard Angel say to Buffy’s new boy toy. “So what’s it like screwing trailer trash?”

Spike's instincts were to jump to Buffy's defense but his head quickly reined him knowing it would raise too many questions. He waited, wondering how Finn was gonna react to Angel’s insulting remark - even though he disliked Captain America, he hoped he'd at least defend his girl - when like lightning he saw Riley rush Angel and pin him up against the lockers.

“Don’t you dare say that about Buffy! She’s a hundred times better than all of you.”

Angel pushed Riley back. “Pity she doesn’t think the same about you, eh?” Riley looked confused as Angel continued. “Didn’t you know she’s had a crush on Spike ever since she moved to Sunnydale?”

Spike was as surprised as Riley by Angel’s comment. Ever since he’d started shagging Buffy, he’d often caught her watching him when she thought he wasn’t looking. He hadn’t realized that Angel and the others had picked up on it as well – they’d never mentioned it.

Suddenly he could see the potential in this little situation. If he could make Finn believe that Buffy preferred him over her own boyfriend then maybe Finn’d dump her and Buffy would again be free to pursue. And he’d no longer have to witness those little PDAs anymore, which had been eating him up inside more than he cared to admit.

So he threw in his money’s worth. “Yeah, Finn. So how does it feel being second best?”

“Get lost, Giles. Like she’d be interested in an asshole like you.”

“Interested? Mate, she creams her panties every time I walk by.”

Now furious, Riley threw a well-aimed punch in Spike’s direction, but his target was too quick and managed to duck before landing his own right hook square in his attacker’s jaw, making Riley fall on his ass. Spike’s friends who had gathered to watch began egging him on.

Riley scrambled to his feet to rush Spike, but again Spike got in there first and pushed Riley across the room and against the wall.

“Guess you’re just not enough of a man to get her to forget me. But then I am pretty unforgettable.”

Even though he was pinned against the wall, Riley still had some spirit left. “You can say what you like Giles, but you’re forgetting something. She chose me, she asked me out. So you’re obviously not that memorable.”

Reminding Spike of the fact that Buffy was now with Riley – which was a particularly sharp thorn in his side – was like waving a red rag at a bull, giving Spike the desire to pull out all the stops in his ‘get Finn to drop Buffy’ campaign.

He lowered his voice so that only Finn could hear him. “You wouldn’t be saying that Finn, if you’d seen the way she comes when I fuck her.” He felt Riley stiffen beneath his restraining hold. “That’s right, mate. I’ve had your precious little Buffy and considering the number of times I’ve made her scream, she won’t be forgetting me for a long time.”


After a brief meeting with her American history teacher, Buffy was a little late for lunch. She expected Riley to be waiting for her at their usual table, so was surprised when he cornered her in the hall and pulled her into a deserted classroom.

She gasped when she saw him. He had a black eye and a split lip.

“Riley, oh my God, what happened?”

“Spike Giles told me you slept with him.”

Buffy was speechless. Why would Spike do that? It had to be his way of trying to drive a wedge between her and Riley.

“Is it true, Buffy?”

She could either tell Riley the truth and risk him dumping her, or she could deny Spike’s claims and lie to a guy who had done nothing but treat her like a princess. Right at that moment, she made a split decision.

“No.” She couldn’t risk losing Riley – and as long as she denied it, Spike had no proof. “God, of course it’s not true.”

The anger drained from Riley’s gaze. “He was so convincing. The things he said. Buffy, I’m sorry for doubting you. Please forgive me?” He looked so remorseful and Buffy felt a flash of guilt for deceiving him.

“Don’t worry about it, Riley. I’m not upset. Spike was just trying to wind you up – it’s what he does. There’s no point in believing anything he says.”

“You’re right. Come on, let’s blow off seventh and eighth and go for coffee.”

As Buffy followed him out into the parking lot, she couldn’t help but a feel sense of achievement at Spike’s obvious jealousy of her ‘relationship’ with Riley.





A/N: I just wanted to say after reading one of the reviews that my computer buggered something up along the way and the part where Spike considers standing up for Buffy didn't appear on the original post. My computer sends its apologies as do I!