Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok here's the deal! I'm getting pretty sick of oooooo now! If you're 'so fucking sick of this story' then don't read it - I don't even want you to read it! I have many loyal readers who welcome my updates and understand where I’m coming from (and thanks heaps to you guys – I couldn’t possibly name you all coz there would be no room for an update but you know who you are – hugs a plenty to each and every one of you!) Ooooo, you are clearly a misogynist who’s out to try and scare authors into deleting their fics so you can score some kind of personal victory (and I don’t need my degree in psychology to tell me that!). You obviously have no life if all you can do all day is sit around making negative comments that are not even constructively critical. I have always warned my readers that this will be an angsty fic but will have a Spuffy ending, but you keep telling me that’s impossible – did you even watch BtVS?? I don’t know anyone who honestly thought that when Spike was introduced that he would end up loving and being loved by Buffy – if it’s possible for Joss then it’s possible for me! And if you want a Spuffy fic where Buffy’s the bad guy – since you obviously hate women – then write it yourself. I don’t see you posting any fics on the site and until you do – you don’t have a leg to stand on telling me that my fic sucks! So you can say whatever you like, because no one is listening, most definitely not me – I will continue to update this story until it is completed and then post more fics. So in the words of Spike – sod off, mate!

P.S. Thanks again to all my positive and constructively critical reviewers - you guys are the best!

P.P.S. Thanks to BuffyRat for spotting my mistake - it is now corrected.
Chapter 8

Spike stood in front of his mirror, gelling his hair into style. He was dressed in a pair of black trousers and a red shirt, which was a change from his usual attire of jeans and no color. But tonight was special because he was taking Dru out to dinner to celebrate their three month anniversary.

Ten minutes later, he’d picked up Dru and was heading towards Acapulco, Sunnydale’s premier Mexican restaurant. After finding a suitable place to park his beloved car, he helped Dru out of the car and with his hand resting on the small of her back, they walked inside. Though only seventeen, Spike was well-known by everyone in Sunnydale because of his father and so when he required the best table in the house, he always got it.

After perusing the menu, he ordered food for both him and Dru – chilli potato skins, chicken fajitas and cinnamon pie. He knew Dru was unlikely to eat much but it didn’t really matter considering the fact that he’d be paying the bill with his father’s credit card.

Their appetizer soon came and as he’d predicted Dru picked at it. Though he had noticed her weird eating habits, he had never really paid much attention to the fact that she was incredibly skinny – not much more than skin and bone really. She had no curves to speak of and nothing really to hold onto.

Not like Buffy. Buffy was slender without being too thin and with her he’d never felt as though he was having sex with a skeleton. He shook his head to get rid of the stray thought. He hated the little thoughts of Buffy that seemed to sneak into his brain more and more regularly. He shouldn’t be thinking about her, especially not when he was on a date with his girlfriend, particularly on their anniversary.

He felt a breeze wash over him as the door to the restaurant opened and without thinking he looked over to see who had just arrived, stiffening when he saw the object of his thoughts waiting to be seated, his hand cradled in that of her bear of a boyfriend.

Perfect. Now his night was complete. The fates clearly had it in for him. It wasn’t enough that he couldn’t stop thinking about Buffy, but he had to treated to her presence unknowingly taunting him, accompanied by the man who was the reason why she no longer wanted him.

Clearly his little ploy to break them up hadn’t worked. He didn’t know whether Riley had chosen not to believe him or whether he’d questioned Buffy and she’d denied it. Deep down he hadn’t really expected them to break up – his plan had been a rash and executed without much thought. Their closeness even suggested that what he’d meant to shake them up might have actually brought them closer together, which irritated him no end.

As the evening wore on, he couldn’t help sneaking glances over to her table. He should have felt guilty about it, considering he was here with Dru, but she wasn’t really paying him any attention, just babbling on about Miss Edith and the pixies, which made no sense to him. If he was honest, nothing Dru said ever really made much sense.

He heard a joyful giggle coming from Buffy’s direction and his gut clenched with envy as she placed her hand over Finn’s, a huge smile gracing her beautiful face. He didn’t think he’d ever seen her smile like that, especially not when she was with him. She looked so happy – had he never made her happy?

It really bothered him that Finn was clearly making her happy but the truth was Spike wanted her to be happy. When she smiled the way she was doing now, she lit up the whole room. If he couldn’t make her smile like that, then he supposed it was no wonder she’d chosen Finn over him.

When she had first rejected him that night in her room and then again at the Bronze, he’d really thought that she was just playing hard to get, but for the first time he wondered if it because he wasn’t giving her what she really needed. He’d also thought that it was only a matter of time before she changed her tune, but looking at her now, smiling and laughing with Finn, he couldn’t imagine her ever wanting what he’d offered her.

Thinking back to the last time they were together, he wondered why he’d stopped going to her room. It was because he’d starting going out with Dru. But seeing Buffy like this made his actions seem nonsensical. Dru and Buffy were both beautiful, but when you compared them together, Buffy had a light which emanated from her, whereas with Dru there was only darkness.

What the hell was going on with him? How could suddenly be comparing Buffy with Dru, who he loved? His thoughts all jumbled - he didn’t know what any of this meant.

He signaled to the waiter for the check – he had to get out of here. Buffy was suddenly screwing with his brain and he needed to leave. Things would become clearer once he’d got away from her…


“Thank you for a wonderful evening,” Buffy said to Riley, as he pulled up outside the Giles mansion.

“You deserved it,” Riley said, smiling. “It’s not everyday a girl turns seventeen.”

“Well I’m glad I spent it with you,” Buffy told him, impulsively leaning over to kiss him on the mouth.

When she didn’t pull away, Riley groaned and deepened the kiss, but kept it soft and gentle so as not to scare her.

After a few moments he pulled back. “Buffy, what…”

“Riley, you’re so good to me. It’s great having you as a friend, but I was thinking…maybe…youcouldbemyboyfriend.” Buffy finished the last of her little speech in a rush of breath.

Riley grinned. “Buffy, I’ve wanted you to be my girlfriend since our first date.” He leaned over to kiss her again and she melted into his sheltering embrace.


Spike pulled his car up outside Dru’s parents mansion.

“We’re home, Dru.”

Instead of getting out of the car, she angled her body next to his and kissed him. Usually, at this point, little Spike would have made himself known, but tonight he seemed to be playing dead.

Grabbing her arms from around his neck, he set her back from him. “Not tonight, Dru, I’m not in the mood.” He needed to go home and raid his father’s liquor cabinet. Anything so that he didn’t have to deal with all the self-reflection he’d unwittingly done this evening.

Dru pouted. “I bet I can get you in the mood,” she said, running her hand up his thigh towards his crotch. When she became aware of the lack of action in that particular area, she pulled back, anger radiating from her eyes.

“Daddy doesn't want his princess any more. Daddy’s all covered in sunshine.”

“Dru, are you completely off your bird?”

Dru’s eyes softened. “Not to worry, my pretty Spike. I won’t let the sunshine get you. You belong in the dark with me.” She trailed a red tipped finger down his cheek before turning and getting out of the car.

Spike sat for a moment watching her enter the house before shaking his head and putting the car into drive. Tonight had been just too crazy for him, in more ways than one. He just wanted to go to bed so it would be over.

He drove the few blocks home and when he reached his house he drove past Captain America’s Land Rover. The ponce was probably seeing Buffy to the door. He parked and got out, his breath stopping and his chest growing tight at the sight that met him.

Buffy and Finn sitting in the front seat of his car locked in a passionate embrace.