~*~
Chapter 8
~*~


"So, this Sinatra goddess knew right where we were?" Buffy asked again after the whole tale had been told from the Scoobies point of view.

"Snotra, yes, a Norse wisdom goddess, NOT an Italian American crooner, Buffy," chided Giles.

"Oh bloody hell, I don't care what you call her, I'm just delighted you're home," he exclaimed, then drew her into a fierce hug.

After all the hugs and shared explanations, Buffy noticed the sun beginning to rise and looked about in panic for Spike.

"Spike? Where's Spike? Guys, did you see where Spike went?" she asked. Her eyes were wide in fear.

"He left a long time ago Buffy," her mother informed her.

"Yeah, I'd have staked him for you but figured you'd want that honor yourself after you get rested. And, say, did anyone mention that you're wearing a nightgown?" asked Xander.

Anya glared daggers at her lover and swatted him on the arm.

"Indeed, Buffy, it's been quite a trying week. Perhaps we should all get to our respective homes and get some much needed rest," advised Giles.

"Rats, I was hoping I'd get to talk to Snotra for a while .... you know, girl talk," said Anya. "She used to throw the best parties, especially when Odin was gone."

~~~

Buffy couldn't seem to run into Spike the whole of the next week. No matter where she went, even his old haunts, he was never there or she had 'just missed him'. She had begun to think he was avoiding her.

She had discovered that he was her mother's "Mr. Williams", and that he'd been helping Joyce for months at the gallery, and for no charge!

Art knowledge AND charity .... the mind boggled.

She had talked a bit to her mother about her adventure and the new way she had started to see Spike. Of course she didn't spill about ALL the parts of Spike she had only begun to notice .... it was her mom after all!

"I knew it! Finally my big sister opened her eyes and smelled the coffee!" Dawn exclaimed from the next room.

"That's a mixed metaphor, dear. It's wakes up and smells the coffee," corrected Joyce.

"Quit eavesdropping, you brat," ordered Buffy.

"What EVER!" said Dawn with an eye roll. "What's important is that now you'll stop being a jerk to Spike and start with the kissage!" she said and then grinned.

"Dawn!" Buffy and Joyce said in unison.

"Well she may have a point," Joyce said to her then. "I always did like Spike and if you MUST be attracted to vampires, he seems to be the pick of the litter," she explained her rationale with a sigh.

"As for your sisters interest and enthusiasm, well, she's just happy for you both I'm sure," she said.

"You wait till you get a boyfriend and see how YOU like 'little miss nosey pants’," Buffy replied to her mom.

"Boyfriend! Spike's your boyfriend?" Dawn nearly broke eardrums with her squeal. "Please, oh please let ME be the one to break the news to Xander. He is so gonna freak!" she said. "You'll get to tell Giles and I soooo want to have that fun too. Just imagine their faces," she said.

~~~
About ten minutes later, a somber looking vampire climbed the porch steps of 1630 Revello Drive and knocked at the front door.

He had a packing invoice from an art shipment that had arrived late at the gallery. The consignment was important and he knew Joyce needed the ready, so he braved casa Buffy to deliver it.

Maybe he'd get lucky and she wouldn't be home. He'd managed to avoid her all week so far. Somehow he didn't think he was quite ready to go back to the old relationship so soon after tasting what could be.

"Well, everyone's luck had to end someday," he thought as Buffy opened the door to his knock.

"Spike," she said and stared at the strangly still vampire.

"Buffy," he replied with a nod. "Got an invoice for your mum and word on a shipment. Mind callin' her to the door, pet?" he asked.

His eyes refused to meet hers and he was biting down on his lower lip. He couldn't bear to see the inevitable coldness he just knew he’d find in Buffy’s eyes. It was cold enough already on his side of the barrier.

"Yes, I do mind. I think I mind very much 'Mr. Just walks away as soon as we get back’. I looked for you when we got back but you were gone," she said.

God, why wouldn't he even look at her?

"Sorry luv, knew you'd be in the bosom and all and had
the sun to beat home. Vampire, remember," he said softly.

"God, Spike, what is wrong with you! I learned a lot about you when we were trapped in the mystical music box (and "say, wouldn't that be a great name for a rock band," she thought)."

I learned that you aren't the idiot I used to call you. Turns out you're just a dope," she said.

"What?", he asked and finally looked up at Buffy. He was clearly confused and out of his element. Completely out of snark when faced with any kind words from her. It was the last thing he had expected.

"Look, just get in here so we can talk like two civilized people. You can deliver your own damned message to mom," she said and stepped out of the way.

"I have an invite again?" he asked, barely hoping.

"Of course you big dope. I thought Dru was the lunatic, not you," Buffy said and laughed gently at his expression.

She stopped laughing as she saw the naked emotion on his face as he entered her home again for the first time since his disastrous proclamation of love and subsequent disinvite.

The 'Big Bad' had quite a large unbeating heart, it would seem, and easily broken too from the looks of it.

Guess he wasn't as sure of himself as he'd always seemed. Another Spike lesson for Buffy.

"Well, you could come in and have that talk, or, you could just be kissing me," she said and wrapped her arms around her astounded vampire.

Spike had been wrong ..... THIS was the last thing he had expected.

"You've never had any desire to join NASA have you?" she asked.

"Huh?" he replied. He was clearly confused, but in a good way.

"Never mind, come in Spike," she whispered and proceeded to kiss him senseless.

There was a lot they had to learn about each other, truths to sort from myths.

Buffy thought for once she was going to enjoy learning, as Spike deepened the kiss. She couldn't wait to find out what other hidden talents he had.
~~~

IN ASGARD

The four sister goddesses looked down at their late houseguests and smiled.

Sometimes these things worked out without the aid of the gods after all.


Some things were just inevitable.


~~fin