Author's Chapter Notes:
None really other than to enjoy and of course thank you Beaselysmom and dusty273 for all your help, smoochies.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Spike rejoined Gunn and Faith who, for whatever reason, stopped talking as soon as they saw him approach. Gunn cleared his throat.

“Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m starving. Wanna order some grub?”

“Nah thanks... I already ate.” He picked up his beer and took a swig to conceal the guilty smirk from his face. A few seconds later and a blur of blonde hair went past him to grab Faith’s arm.

“It’s time to leave.”

“It is?” Confused, Faith looked to Gunn who merely shrugged his shoulders and turned to Spike for an answer but he still had his beer up to his lips.

“Yes,” she said as politely as possible while giving Gunn a quick smile and a half laugh. “It really is.”

Faith barely had time to set her drink down before she was dragged off while attempting to say ‘goodbye’.

“Huh. Wonder what’s eating her.” Gunn addressed Spike. He knew something was up.

Spike shook his head in response but couldn’t keep from chuckling at his friend’s unintended pun.

“Did you say something to upset her?” he asked accusingly. “Cuz I know you followed her.” Somehow, he knew it had to be Spike’s doing. He’d have to get to the bottom of things before night’s end, seeing that his and Faith’s plan went haywire.

“She’ll get over it.” Gunn gave him a pointed look. “Look. I didn’ say anythin’ to the stubborn bint she doesn’ already know. Plus,” he took out his dog tags and waved them proudly at Gunn to show he was no longer wearing Buffy’s.

“Way to go, my brother.” He slapped him on the back. “Must have left her pretty flustered to run off like that, eh?”

He smirked. “Le’s just say...I got my licks in.”

They stayed about an hour longer and as expected, Gunn began asking questions concerning Buffy. When he didn’t offer any details on the exchange for the dog tags, Gunn, of course, offered up his own philosophical point of view on things. It was a pleasant conversation to be sure, but one that unfortunately had its own set of enlightenments to certain facts that would leave him with many, many things to think seriously on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike tossed and turned in bed for half the night, heavily contemplating his conversation with Gunn.

Naturally his friend had asked if his intentions were indeed to pursue a relationship with Buffy to which his answer was a solid yes. Though scared shitless, he felt ready to try his hand at love again and it was all because of and only with her. However, when asked exactly how he planned on winning the tiny blonde’s affection, Spike was at a complete loss because, “whatever it is you’re doing now sure ain’t working.”

She practically ran out of the club after coming back from the bathroom and he couldn’t help but wonder if he’d possibly made a huge mistake by employing his latest plan?

“She’s a completely different creature from anyone you’ve ever been with.”

He didn’t have any one particular ‘type’ of woman he went for, but she most certainly was different. Tenacious, bold, clever, independent, passionate... If her good looks weren’t enough to make the average man nervous about approaching her, her character qualities were definitely intimidating. Not to him though. They were the very reasons why he admired her, wanted her. She was a magnificent blend of sensuality and smarts wrapped up in this gorgeous package of golden skin and blonde hair. She was one in a million.

“She’s not looking for a boyfriend.”

She said as much at the mall, said she wasn’t looking for a relationship, just like him, didn’t need a man in her life the same as he didn’t feel it necessary to have a woman in his. This was one more reason why he was sure they were perfectly suited for each other... if he could only get her to see it. For months on end his heart lay cold as stone in his chest, had long since stopped beating until she came along, awakened it, filled it with emotions he didn’t understand at the time, had denied, fought then misinterpreted... until now. And now that he understood, he couldn’t bare to be alone with his restless heart anymore.

What was it going to take to convince her to at least give him a chance? Since he obviously wasn’t going to get the answer from her, perhaps it was time to ask someone who better knew her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday morning, 9 AM.

He knocked three more times on the door. Oz was the only person Spike could think of that knew Buffy and would be willing to tell him anything that might be of some help in his pursuit of the Californian beauty.

“What’s up?” Oz stood there in nothing but a pair of flannel night pants.

“`M sorry, mate. Did I wake you?”

“No, just haven’t bothered to get dressed yet. Come on in.” He ushered his friend inside and followed him into the living room. He could tell something was on Spike’s mind from the way he sat leaned forward, elbows propped on his knees while jiggling one foot impatiently. “What’s this about?”

“Was hopin’ you could... er, maybe,” he paused to sigh heavily and run a hand over his face. “`S `bout Buffy.”

“What about Buffy?”

Spike’s eyes nearly popped out of his head when he whipped around to face the source of the female voice. There stood Willow in an oversized T-shirt and a pair of boxer shorts, arms crossed, looking none too pleased.

“Uhhhh... Are you two?” his finger went from her to Oz and back again before rapidly shaking his head back and forth as if clearing it. “Stupid question.” He stood. “Didn’ realize you had company, mate. I’ll leave.” Willow stepped into the living room from the hallway and sat next to Oz who wrapped an arm around her affectionately.

“No, stay. If this is about Buffy then I’m interested in hearing what you have to say.”

Uh-oh. He didn’t like the curious look on her face as it blended with a hint of annoyance. Judging from her attire and disheveled hair, he assumed he’d interrupted a morning shag-a-thon.

“`S nothin’ really.” Boy, was this awkward. “Jus’ thought Oz here might be able to tell me somethin’.” He looked over at his buddy who quirked an eyebrow in curiosity.

“Not to be all with the negative here, but what exactly do you want? Because if you’re just trying to sleep with her again then I’m leaving. I can’t be part of this conversation,” she looked to her boyfriend with big round eyes. “I’m sorry, honey,” then turned back to Spike. “We don’t see eye to eye on the issue of you and Buffy a-and uhmm, well, let me just say for the record... I don’t like you.”

Spike was stunned. Not that she didn’t like him, but that she apparently knew so much. Course she would. Then again, it might be a blessing that she was here.

“`S not like that.” She raised an accusing eyebrow at him. “Anymore,” he added for good measure.

“If you want something more with her, then you’re going to have to go through me. No one knows Buffy better than I do.” She put on her best serious face and pursed her lips.

Good, that’s what he was hoping for. “I do. Honest, I... oh bloody hell! Can you back me up here a bit, mate?” He needed some support and hoped Oz would give it to him.

“She’s just being protective.”

“Hey,” she slapped his arm. “SHE is sitting right here and yes, of course I’m going to protect her.” Her voice went soft but she remained stern when she told Spike. “All you’ve ever done is try to get in her pants and now suddenly you’re interested in being her boyfriend?” At least when he nodded he had the decency to look guilty as charged. She sighed. She knew he was telling the truth from everything Oz had already told her and since she didn’t want Buffy getting hurt, she’d have to help in any way she could. “If I tell you what you want to know you have to promise not to hurt her.” Shaking a finger at him. “Because if you do, I’ll-I’ll...” She stuck her chin out and knitted her brow together. “You don’t want to know.”

Spike chuckled at her scrunched up, child-like ‘mean face’ until she glared even harder at him. “Ahem, right. `S not gonna happen. I promise I’ll treat her right. Jus’ need some help in figurin’ her out.” She visibly relaxed as Oz kissed her cheek and began toying with her fingers as they rested in his lap.

“What exactly do you want to know?”

“`S she the flowers and candy type of bird?”

“Not really.” As soon as she answered, his leg started jiggling again and a troubled look crossed his features. “Why would you want to know something like that?”

“I think, not sure... I may have buggered things up with her last night.”

“As in, like, how?” She had a feeling she wasn’t going to like what she was about to hear.

“We had this deal, see, and I sort of took it... a bit farther.”

“Go on.” Nope, she definitely didn’t like the sound of this. “I know about the kiss.”

“Right.” How the hell was he supposed to say what he did without it sounding crude? “I gave her the kiss, but it wasn’t until I went... went... south of the border.” Oz’s face widened with instant recognition but Willow looked completely lost.

“South of the border?”

Oz leaned in to whisper in her ear and her face suddenly matched the red in her hair.

“But tha’s not all.” She was still blushing but he had to finish the story. “Got her worked up but didn’... you know. Didn’ finish the job.”

“WHAT?!?!” They both cried in unison.

“Was hopin’ it’d make her see how good we can be together.” Pathetic, mate. He could tell from their reactions his plan had indeed backfired.

“If I did that to Will...” she clamped a hand over her boyfriend’s mouth, sending a clear signal not to finish that sentence.

“That was your genius plan?” She shook her head. He was absolutely clueless. “You say you want to be with her but all you’ve managed to show her is that you want nothing BUT sex from her. Women don’t work that way, Spike. Sex does not equal love.”

He thought better than to ask her if that were really true or not. “I know.” I know that now.

“Do you?” she asked skeptically.

“What can I do to make it right? Get her to give me a chance?” He had to keep his focus on fixing things.

“You could start by apologizing but I doubt she’ll listen.” She actually began to feel bad for him when he looked even more distraught. “I’m not saying that to be mean but ever since Angel, she hasn’t wanted to be with anyone. He was her first everything and she has a hard time trusting guys.”

This got his attention right away. “You mean to say she’s never had sex with any other bloke but the great poof?” Christ, he could hardly believe it. He felt both lucky and proud but also guilty at the same time after what happened between them at Ft Lemonworth. No wonder she had such a dismal view of men.

“Just you and Angel.” He looked shocked. “She told me what happened back at... well, you were there. Obviously.” She fidgeted nervously. Talking to her former Drill Sergeant about having sex with her best friend was really creeping her out.

“There must be somethin’.” He began to feel desperate. “I really do care about her.”

Willow went to say something but Oz asked her to ‘let me handle it’.

“I suggest becoming her friend first. Earning a woman’s trust is the way to her heart and she has to trust you before she can feel anything for you.” He smiled when Willow kissed his cheek in approval.

“How do I start?”

“This may sound like a crazy idea, but you could start by just talking to her.”

He snorted. “Easier said than done, mate. `S Buffy we’re talkin’ `bout here.”

“But it’s where you’ll have to begin.”

Willow interjected.

“Think of the relationship process like a meal.” They both looked at her like she was crazy but she kept going. “You get your appetizer first. A preview of what’s to come as with the first time you see each other. Then your soup or salad, a comfort food that prepares you for the meal, like a nice conversation on a leisurely Sunday afternoon that holds no expectations or demands while you get to know each other. Next you’re served the main course. This part is meant to be eaten slowly so you can taste it, savor it. It’s smiles or a small touch here and there. Maybe add some butter, like holding hands or a hug. You can even throw a little salt on it, spice it up just a bit with your first kiss. THEN... and only then do you get your dessert. Just remember, any two people can have sex, but its better when you’ve prepared yourself for it.” They both sat there for a moment and stared at her until Oz broke the silence.

“I’m gonna go cook some breakfast.” He pointed a thumb behind him towards the kitchen. “That made me hungry. You want something to eat, Spike?”

“No thanks.” He had even more thinking to do it seemed, but at least hearing her little analogy gave him an excellent idea once he’d sorted things out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday

Now that she had time to think about it, Buffy not only regretted leaving the club early, but she was even more pissed with herself than she was at Spike for having left her sans underwear and orgasm. How dare she let him scare her off like that! Granted she was too flustered at the time and couldn’t see straight, let alone think, but what was she supposed to do? Pull him back into the bathroom and make him finish what he started? No way. No way was she going to let him win. She should have stayed, should have come right back out, held her head high and been social, stood her ground, show him she could take a licking and keep on ticking... literally.

Since it was too late now for any of that, her thoughts went to what she would say the next time she ran into him. She had many a random conversation play out in her head as to what she could say and how he would most likely respond. After a couple hours of that, she was mentally exhausted and more than frustrated. Where was the man who’d acted so differently while around Gunn’s children? Where was the man who’d accepted her apology? Who was the man buried beneath the bitter façade of two failed marriages that Gunn said was really a good guy? Tired. She realized she was genuinely tired of the whole Spike thing. All the questions, all the comments, the kisses, the teasing... Some fresh air and a little retail therapy was what she needed this morning, just to get her mind off things.

Faith was still asleep at ten o’clock and Willow was nowhere to be found so she quickly showered and headed out to her car to hit the mini-mall right on post. A few hours of just walking around and spending money she didn’t have would put her back in a good mood and keep her mind off...

Screeeeeeeeech!!!

Turning the steering wheel sharply to the right, she pulled her car onto the side of the road. Just as she drove by the post gymnasium, she spared a glance towards the outdoor track. And who just happened to be running on that track in nothing but Army PT shorts and sneakers? Spike! It only took her a few seconds to decide she was going to confront him. Confront him and put a permanent end to all this shit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The morning found Spike still frustrated over certain matters where Buffy was concerned. With nothing but pent up energy and time on his hands, he needed to do something physical to release some of the tension and running seemed like the best option since it always helped to clear his mind. Getting into his car, he drove towards post in hopes that after an hour or two, he could refocus and sort out his individual thoughts.

The sweat now poured from his body in the mid-morning sun as he racked up the miles, thinking and thinking then thinking some more. Lap after lap, he dug deep within himself, too deep, recognizing where he went wrong in the things he’d both said and done to her from the very first day they met.

It wasn’t until he realized just how important she was to him that he was able to examine what he’d done to her in the bathroom of that club and just what a wanker he’d acted like. All he wanted was to show her how good they could be together and naturally went about it in typical male fashion by getting physical with her. Seemed Willow was right, sex does not equal love.

He stopped off the side of the track and groaned. How could he have been so bloody stupid? Now that he was able to put himself in her shoes, it was truly a wonder she hadn’t killed him by now, he’d acted like such a...

“Bastard!”

He had his back to her, bent over with his hands on his knees, body covered in a fine sheen of sweat, muscles rippling across his back as he attempted to regulate his breathing from his workout. If she wasn’t so damn mad at him right now, she might have taken the time to appreciate the gorgeous masculine vision he created. Not this time. He stood up and turned around to face her.

“Buffy?” There she stood, arms crossed in front of her chest, looking as pissed as ever.

“You’re a bastard.” It wasn’t the best way to begin a conversation but it had to start somewhere.

“Yeah,” he paused to pick up his bottle of water and take a huge gulp before continuing. “I know.” He wasn’t happy with himself at all over how he’d treated her.

“You stole my underwear.”

“In the Army we don’ steal, pet, we requisition.”

“You know what? I am so fucking tired of this.” She was determined not to get distracted when he held the bottle up and poured its contents onto his head, the small rivulets of water streaming down his perfect body to gather then trickle down the indents of his chest and lean stomach muscles.

“`M not surprised.” If he were her, he would have been tired too.

“I’m sick and tired of playing these-these GAMES with you. Of you chewing me up and spitting me out.” And-oh-my-God, I really just said that? She needed to focus and thank God he was pulling his T-shirt back over his head.

The way she was fuming, he wasn’t about to touch that statement with a ten foot pole and further incite her anger.

“What was that the other night? In the bathroom?”

“Was tryin’ to prove a point.” Like the git I am.

“Well, you know what? Mission accomplished. You want me to admit I’m attracted to you, fine. Yes, I’m physically attracted to you, there’s no denying that, but that’s as far as it will ever go. I will not and repeat will not sleep with you ever again.”

“I get that now.” Who could blame her?

“I’m sorry that you had to go through two bad marriages, I really am. But this thing with you taking all your personal frustration and revenge over what happened to you out on ME? It has to stop. I’m not one of your ex-wives, I’ve been cheated on too but you know what? I got over it.”

“How did you... Gunn told you, didn’t he?”

“What difference does it make? Nothing justifies you treating me like some whore, nothing.”

“I’ve never thought of you that way.” His tone came out harsher than he intended. “Ever.” Yeah, he understood where she was coming from, but it still hurt him to think he’d made her feel that way.

“Oh, really? You sure have a funny way of showing it. Do you know how humiliated I am with myself over the fact I let you do what you did to me the other night... and enjoyed it? God, Spike. I have feelings, and you completely disregarded if not STOMPED all over them.

“Buffy...”

“No, I’m not finished.” She held up her hand and glared harshly at him.

“`M listenin’.”

“And not JUST listen, you need to hear me. So you will keep your mouth shut.”

“Okay.” He could only hope that the damage he’d done wasn’t irreparable because it was apparent now that he’d pushed her too far.

“Ever since we’ve met, you’ve done nothing but degrade me, torture me, yell at me and if that wasn’t enough, you went and defiled me. Months later, you pop back into my life and think you can just pick right back up where you left off. I don’t need this, Spike, and I damn sure don’t deserve it. You may outrank me, but I am in no way beneath you. I will not be manipulated by you anymore.

“`M not proud of what I’ve done.”

“Is that supposed to be your way of apologizing?” Wow, this man was unbelievably stupid if he thought she’d fall for that.

“No, `s not.” He hung his head, feeling even more ashamed at hearing her say the words than he’d already made himself. “I know that sayin’ `m sorry isn’ goin’ to make things right.”

He had the nerve to look sheepish right now, and it pissed her off even more to think he was trying to get on her good side by acting like this.

“You’re damn right it’s not. I’ve been nothing but a stupid conquest to you ever since you walked back into my life.”

“You were never a bloody conquest to me, Buffy.”

“Ohhhhh, don’t you dare lie to me, Spike. All you’ve EVER done is tried to get in my pants.”

“Tha’s not what I want anymore, I realize that now.” She wasn’t hearing him, it was obvious she was too angry and he only had himself to blame.

“Well, good for you but it doesn’t change a thing in my mind. You’ve obviously picked the wrong girl so go find someone else.

“I’ve already told you, I only want you.”

“And I told you that you’ve already HAD me. So move on.”

“Maybe I need to make m’self a bit clearer. I want you... in every sense of the word.” If he didn’t lay it on the line right now, he might never have another opportunity to tell her.

“What?!?!” Her eyes went wide with shock. He couldn’t be suggesting what she thought he was. “Hold on. Are you saying that... that you want to be my, my... BOYFRIEND?”

“Ahh, uhmm... for lack of a better term... yeah.” Oh Christ, now she was laughing at him, really laughing at him.

“You can NOT be serious?” She couldn’t stop herself from laughing. Was he insane?

“I’ve never been more serious.”

“Why?” Oh my God, he really is serious. His expression said it more clearly than his words had.

“Why the hell not?”

Okay, if he’s serious then she’d give him a serious answer. “Maybe because you’ve never given me a reason to believe it’s been anything more than physical attraction you have for me?”

“Can I at least have a chance?”

“No.”

He had nothing to lose but her, so he swallowed his pride and begged. “Please?”

“Why should I?”

“Because I need you.” He did. It was that simple. She was the only one who could keep him from becoming a bitter, lonely old man.

“That’s not a reason. Unless you can give me one good reason, I don’t see why I should.” He looked deep into her eyes, and with certainty in his voice answered her softly.

“Because you’re the only one who can save me.”

She suddenly found herself at a loss for words. The look on his face, the way he’d said it with such utter sincerity, his beautiful blue eyes shining out at her as they bore the depth of his emotions. For a few moments longer she stared at him before having to turn away from the intense, almost pleading expression. She wasn’t sure what to think or how to respond, all she knew is she had to get away from him.

He watched her walk away and his heart ached. There would be no chasing after her this time; it was the wrong thing to do. He could only hope he hadn’t messed things up so bad it couldn’t be repaired. Persistence, mate... time and persistence.

~~~~~~~

Monday evening

Gunn headed from the lockers to the free weight area of the gym when he passed by an amusing sight. Wearing a determined frown and boxing wraps on her hands, Buffy was kicking the crap out of a punching bag like it was fighting back. Delivering blow after blow using jabs alternated with high kicks.

“Hey, girl.”

She turned and smiled when she saw who was talking to her. “Hi, Charles.”

“Wow. You ahhh... picturing anybody in particular?” She gave him a look that said ‘take a wild guess’. “Spike.” She nodded. “Wanna talk about it? Cuz I don’t think that bag is going to survive much more abuse.”

“Just wish I knew what his deal was, I guess. I ran into him yesterday and up until then I thought I had him figured out but,” she paused, not sure she should say anything about their argument. “Never mind. I-it’s nothing.” He didn’t look convinced. “Really.”

“Hey, you can talk to the G-man. What did he do now? Do I need to whoop his ass for you?” His gut instinct told him something happened between them at the club that Spike hadn’t came forward about and judging from Buffy’s behavior, he assumed his friend had now said or done something else equally as damaging to his cause.

She hesitated. This was Spike’s best friend and she didn’t want to say the wrong thing in front of him but he was also the one person who might be able to help her better understand what was going on in the bleached wonder’s head.

“I just wanna know why me? Why every time I see him, he goes out of his way to be a complete and total ass to me.” Gunn openly chuckled, forcing a smile out of her. He followed her over to sit on a work-out bench where they could keep their conversation away from those around them working out.

“He just wants your attention whether it’s positive or negative. Sorta like a little boy on a playground that pulls on a girl’s ponytail then runs away as soon as she turns around, because he likes her.”

“I get that, but... now all of a sudden he’s changed his tune and-and...” she trailed off trying to find the right words. “He more or less just told me he wants to get into a relationship with me.”

“Are you really so surprised, Buffy?”

“Uhmmm...” she didn’t know quite how to answer that.

“Look, you know Spike, but you don’t know William. They’re like night and day.”

“So where’s that guy whenever I’m around?”

He knew it was time to shed a little more light on his friend’s past or else he may never stand a chance with this girl.

“Lemme break it down for ya so you understand where my boy’s coming from before you pass judgment, alright?” She nodded. “After his last divorce, Spike swore he’d never put himself in a situation where he could fall in love again and he’s done a bang up job of it, of shutting down and cutting himself off from his emotions. Then one day you come along and basically turned his world upside down while he wasn’t even looking.”

“And that’s supposed to justify his behavior?” she asked, frustrated.

“I’m just telling the story, I never said I agreed with how he’s treated you.”

“So again with the why me?”

“He’s never encountered anyone like you before. You challenged him from day one, never backed down, gave as good as you got and refused to take his shit. He respects that, respects you.” He chuckled and shook his head. “Girl... you hold so much power over him, you just don’t know.”

“Sounds more like a case of he wants what he can’t have.” She crossed her arms protectively, suddenly unsure she could trust what she was hearing.

“Uh-uh. That’s not it at all. Let me put it this way. All Spike has ever needed was the love of a good woman.” He pointed a finger at her. “That woman is you, Buffy. You’re not just what he wants, you’re what he needs... and he knows it.”

That’s exactly what Spike had said, “Because I need you”. This was beginning to freak her out. Her... being what he needed, hearing it from someone else who knew him better than anyone. “Because you’re the only one who can save me.”

“Let’s say you’re right. Let’s say I’m his ideal woman or whatever. What’s to say he’s the right man for me?”

“Look, this isn’t a situation of bro’s before ho’s. If I didn’t think he could make you happy, I wouldn’t be having this conversation with you. Honest.” She nodded but still looked unconvinced.

“That still doesn’t answer my question.”

“I can’t answer that for you, that’s something you’ll have to decide for yourself. The one thing I know for sure is that when Spike is in love, that’s it for him. He puts his whole heart into it.”

“I hate to ask this but if that’s true then why did both of his wives cheat on him?”

“Dru went mad, as in the clinical type of insane. And Cecily? That was just one triflin’ bitch.”

“Trifling?”

“She sucked him dry, emotionally and financially. No matter what he did or how much he gave her it was never enough. If she wanted the moon, he would have given it to her but then she’d have asked for the stars to go along with it.”

She went silent on him.

“I’m not saying it to make you feel bad for him. I just know Spike’s ready to love again and it’s you he wants. It’s a huge leap of faith for him so if you don’t think you can jump right in there with both feet and love him back just as much, then its best you walk away now because one thing is for sure. If it doesn’t work out, he won’t be able to come back from this one.”

“I’m not sure I’m ready for... I-I...”

“You don’t have to make any kind of decision right now, but at least think about what I said. Personally, I think if you gave him a chance, there’d be wedding bells in less than a year, but that’s just my opinion.” He chuckled when her eyes went huge.

When he stood to go about his business, she touched his arm and smiled. “Thanks.”

“Shoot, ain’t no thing but a chicken wing, girl.”

He left her with a lot to contemplate but what bothered her most was the thought that she was responsible for anyone’s happiness.

~~~~~~

Two weeks later on a Friday afternoon.

Buffy was busy marking up paperwork while working the front desk of the clinic, checking patients in for routine doctor’s appointments when Spike came strolling up. She hadn’t noticed until Faith nudged her and cocked her head in his direction.

“Do you have an appointment?” She didn’t think he did but kept it professional just in case.

“No.”

She sighed, throwing her pen down on the desk and leaning back in her chair. “And now my day is complete.”

“`S nice to see you too, luv.” He wasn’t going to be deterred from his goal no matter what she said.

“Whatever it is, no.”

“No? What kind of answer is that? You haven’ even heard the bloody question yet.”

“I don’t need to.”

“Right,” he nodded once. “I thought we’d have dinner tonight.” Persistence and patience, persistence and patience, he chanted to keep his nerve up.

“Why would I want to do that?” It irritated her that he dismissed her and kept talking.

“`M headin’ out to the field tomorrow. Won’ be back for six weeks.”

“Sooooooo?”

“So I wanted to see you before I left.”

“You’re looking at me right now.”

Damned if she didn’t look cute as she put on a fake smile and act all chipper. “Right then. I’ll pick you up at seven.” He turned around to leave.

“No, you won’t.” Is he deaf?

“See ya then, pet.” He tossed her a smile over his shoulder and took off, unwilling to take no for an answer.

“But-but,” Faith looked at her with a half smile. “I-I said no,” she said weakly.

“You’re on your own with this one, B.”




A/N: Hope everyone enjoyed the turning point on the road to Spuffy luvin. For those following TE, I’ll be picking back up on it as time allows, I promise. Have an awesome weekend, *hugs and kisses*.