Author's Chapter Notes:
VERY IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ: If you are following Jolynn’s story ‘Beneath the Shadows of Evil’; Jolynn’s SO emailed me the other day at her request to let me know that she is currently quite ill and under a Doctor’s care with orders to rest. She asks that you please remain patient and not to expect any updates for at least two weeks or until she recovers, thanks. As for IAN:





Last chapter we saw a turning point as our couple had new information they had to think on about the other. This chapter is more of a transitional nature and I do so hope you enjoy the read. It shouldn’t be too long before I post again (3-5 days, depending) as next chapter is currently more than half written. A big holla-out to my girls Dusty273 and Beasleysmom for their help and to Karbear57, luv you girl, sit back and enjoy, smooches. You guys/gals have been absolutely fabulous in your reviews and I can’t tell you how much I truly appreciate them. It’s enlightening to hear your thoughts and often gives me things to think on, concerning story/character direction/development, that I may not necessarily have considered and in saying so, you – the readers – often spark wonderful ideas to include – thank you so much for that. Quick FYI for those that aren’t familiar with the term ‘chiggers’ (as it will appear in this chapter). Chiggers are these pesky six-legged wingless organisms (larvae) that grow up to become a mite, found in tall grass, weeds & woodland edges primarily in the southern US and in other countries. Ask any service member, they’re synonymous with military folk who go to the field quite often and come back with lots of these little buggers burrowed beneath their skin. Sounds nasty, but they’re more of a nuisance and easily taken care of.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Faith disagreed with the way Buffy had treated Spike, calling her a hypocrite. After screaming at him two weeks ago at the track for having disregarded her feelings in the past, she should have thought to take his into consideration when “all the man wants is to spend some time with you before he goes away.”

Fine, point noted and yes, she felt a bit guilty but he’d taken her by surprise showing up at her work the way he did. She assumed he’d given up and gone away when she hadn’t seen him in two weeks so when he popped up out of the blue, it was a case of her mouth going on auto-pilot; it was the only way she knew how to deal with him.

Oh, she’d certainly done some thinking over the last couple weeks, it couldn’t be helped. She could tell Gunn wasn’t trying to push her into giving Spike a chance, all he’d done was provide some missing information to help her better understand the experiences that shaped the man she knew today. And though Spike’s past didn’t excuse his behavior, at least now she understood, really understood where he was coming from. Inevitably her mind kept going back over the argument she’d had with him at the track as well. Actually, it wasn’t even an argument. He hadn’t disagreed with her once, except to say that he never thought of her as a whore or a conquest. Come to think of it, he’d always denied it, or at least tried to at the mall when she accused him but then kept cutting him off.

As for giving him a chance, was she ready for that? Was he truly ready for that? Could she see herself ‘with’ him? It was difficult to imagine him playing the role of the caring boyfriend but it wasn’t like he was incapable, right? Could they get along, could they get past, well, ‘the past’? And if they did, this wasn’t just his heart on the line, she’d be putting herself out there too, taking just as much of a chance as he was. Was it possible to start over with him, on the right foot this time? Was that what he was trying to do when he came by, talking about going to dinner? Did she want to try and start over?

Knowing what she knew now and remembering the way he looked that day at the track had her irritated with herself. It would be too easy to give into the stray puppy syndrome, the one where she wanted to take him home and make him better. Would it really be so bad to at least try? And if he did wind up being the love of her life and she hadn’t given him that chance, could she live with always wondering ‘what if’?

There were more questions than answers and truthfully she didn’t feel it was fair to make any decisions without hearing him out. To do that would not only require spending time with him but also to give him the benefit of the doubt. But damn he’d made her so nervous this afternoon, showing up like that and acting the way he had. The only typical Spike-like rude thing he’d done was to ignore her when she said no to dinner. It was unnerving. Him. Acting so, so unlike himself that at the time she’d brushed it off, thinking he couldn’t be serious in suggesting they go to dinner... until now.

“`Lo, luv. Care to tell a bloke why you’re not dressed?” She was stretched out on her bed in baggy sweats, watching TV with a bowl of popcorn by her side.

“What the hell are doing in my room? FAITH?!?!” She sat up straight and looked over at her smiling roommate. She should have known Spike would be resourceful enough to figure out which room was hers and that Faith would let him in.

“Catchya later, B.” She winked at Spike, grabbed her jacket and left.

She watched him walk over and sit on Faith’s bed across from hers. Damn he looked good. Underneath the familiar black duster she could see he wore jet black dress pants and shoes with a blood red, button up dress shirt. Turning back to the television, she tried to get a grip on her nerves. She didn’t know how to deal with him and-and... damn he looks good.

“Said I’d pick you up at seven,” he said matter-of-factly.

“And I told you no. So please leave.” Okay, if he’s really serious about this whole relationship thingy, then let him prove it to her. If he was? Maybe. It all depended.

He smirked and shook his head at her. “Don’ rightly care what your answer was, pet. `M not leavin’ `til you get dressed and come with me.” That got her to look his way.

“Oh my God! Are you for real?” He reclined on the bed and crossed his hands behind his head, fixing her with his trademark smirk and she knew beyond a shadow of a doubt he would stay right where he was. It was sort of sweet that he was serious about going to dinner and since there’s no way I want to be alone with him in my room for any length of time... fine. She’d go, but that didn’t mean she’d make this easy on him. Rolling her eyes before getting up, she refrained from the urge to smack the irritating smile off his face and went to her closet. “We go, we eat, we’re done. Got it?”

He watched her pull out a cute little yellow and purple print sundress and sweater then head off to the bathroom to change. “Yes, ma’am.” he saluted her even though she couldn’t see him. As long as she let him take her out, that was a start. A few minutes later she re-emerged, her hair pinned up in a twist with a few strands draping down to frame her face. He sprang up and went to open the door for her and smiled when she scowled at his gentleman-like gesture.

She walked ahead of rather than beside him as they went down the hall and she just knew he was all smug at having succeeded in getting her to go out with him. HA! She did whatever the hell she wanted to do and she wanted to see if he was truly serious about being with her. It was her decision to come with him since the only way to find that out was by spending time with him... or so she rationalized. She wasn’t ‘going out’ with him; she was waiting to hear what he had to say, how he acted, nothing more.

He sauntered behind her slowly, thumbs hooked in his belt when she glanced back to inform him.

“This is so NOT a date.”

“Whatever you say, pet,” he purred, thinking this was exactly what it was. He felt almost giddy that she was letting him take her out because if she really didn’t want to go, she most definitely would have kicked his arse out the door, physically if she had to. She’d given him that small spark of hope that he just might win her affection yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once they were seated, Spike became a bit nervous and decided to go for small talk.

“So, how was your day?” Buffy dropped her menu on the table, an incredulous look on her face.

“You can’t be serious?” What the hell was he trying to pull? “Less than two weeks ago you had your face between my legs and now you’re asking how my day went?”

“`M jus’ tryin’ to be polite.” He should have expected that, this was Buffy after all. Still, he wasn’t going to give up.

“Polite?”

“Yeah. Jus’ thought we’d have a nice quiet dinner with some polite conversation.”

“Just-just don’t. It’s disturbing. You and polite don’t even belong in the same sentence. Give me the irritating Spike, the smart ass, the Spike that’s rude. At least I know how to handle him.” His jaw twitched as he settled himself more comfortably in the chair, looking more like the man she was used to dealing with.

Oh, now she wanted him to be rude? Hmmmm. This was going to be an interesting night, walking a fine line between treating her right and being the git she’d only ever known him as.

“Okay. Le’s start over then shall we? How was your day... bitch?” Her laughter came snorting through her nose right before she gave him a genuine smile, surprising the hell out of him.

“That’s more like it. It was fine, thank you.” Taking in his obvious delight over her reaction, she went back to looking at her menu, thinking maybe the evening wouldn’t be so bad after all. She invited him to be rude so it would be interesting to see how he’d handle it.

Their waitress came over and asked for their order but before Buffy could open her mouth, Spike warned her.

“`F you order a bloody salad, Summers, I swear...” She narrowed her eyes on him while answering the stunned waitress.

“I’ll have the chicken and rice, please.” She knew he was joking just by the way he’d said it, but of course she’d wait for just the right moment before handing his ass back to him.

“Glad you’re finally seein’ things my way, woman.”

Erghhh! She flipped him the perfectly manicured nail of her middle finger then told the waitress.

“Don’t mind him, he wasn’t breast fed.”

Sassy bint!

The waitress finished with their order and walked away, leaving the blonde couple to eyeball each other, waiting for the other to start some type of conversation. Buffy was the first to take the initiative as she leaned her chin on the palm of her hand.

“You said you were going to the field for six weeks?”

“Yeah.” He leaned forward, placing his elbows on the table and tilted his head to one side. “Why? Gonna miss me, pet?” He certainly hoped so.

“Like a crutch,” she purposefully muttered under her breath while covering her mouth with two fingers.

“What was that?” She rolled her eyes then teased him, batting her eyelashes.

“I said very much.”

So bloody sassy. And he loved it. “`F you’re good, I’ll bring you back somethin’.”

“Like what? Chiggers?”

“Ha, ha, very bloody funny.” Sitting back in his chair he winked at her. “You’ll see.”

Huh. She truly wasn’t sure what he was up to, if anything. As far as she knew, when they went to the field, they stayed put in the woods. She shrugged her shoulders and took a sip from her soda. “Can’t make any promises, but I’ll be waiting.”

There it was. That small crumb of hope he’d been waiting for and he couldn’t help but feel his heart rate pick up with excitement. She was warming up to him, finally and he swore he wouldn’t do a thing to ruin it.

“So, Summers, tell me. Why did you join the Army?”

“I’m a sucker for men in uniform.”

“Just any uniform?”

“There is one in particular I’m rather fond of.” She gave him a sly smile as he waited for her to say.

“And which would that be?” He tilted his head to the side in anticipation, wondering if she was going to say what he was thinking.

“I’d tell you,” she acted bored. “But then I’d have to kill you.”

“Bloody tease.” He smiled even as he said it.

“Yeah, but you love it,” she accused.

“Damn right I do.” Boy did he ever. She could tease him all she wanted; he was glutton for her punishment at this point. “Any way I could persuade you to tell me?” Back off mate, you haven’t been served the ‘meal’ portion Red spoke about.

“Hmmm, maybe. Guess it all depends.” She instantly scolded herself. Her mind was drifting down a very wicked path that involved him and I shouldn’t be acting like this. It’s just... just the physical attraction thingy. And-and I need to see if he can behave, test him a bit.

“When you care to share, pet, `m all ears.” He could swear she was thinking along dirty lines, but he couldn’t risk being rude. All he could hope for was is if he won the girl, she was up for a little role playing. Bloody hell! He was starting to get hard at all the little outfits he could see her dressed up in and thank God the waitress was coming with their dinner right now.

“Where the hell do you put it all?” His order was so huge it had to be brought out on two plates. Everything from a steak and baked potato to seafood and two separate sides filled each dish. He shook out his napkin and chuckled.

“Have a high metabolism.” He pointed to her meal. “I’d bloody starve to death if tha’s all I ate.”

“Do you... cook this way for yourself at home?” He looked at her like she went mad.

“Course. Why?”

“N-nothing.” For whatever reason, she had a brief flash of a domestic scene where she cooked for him, but she couldn’t make toast let alone something like what he had on his plate. She shook her head from the disturbing but somewhat pleasant thought.

She’d never seen him eat and she tried not to stare over the next few minutes between small bites of her own meal as he ate with a speed twice that of the average person. They were taught in Basic to eat fast like that due to time limitations but of course she went right back to her normal pace afterwards. Not him.

“Damn! Slow down. It’s not like it’s going anywhere.”

He halted midway between bites to look at her. “`S habit,” he shrugged and went back to eating.

“Fine. Don’t expect me to save your ass though if you start choking.”

“`F you don’, you’ll be stuck payin’ for dinner.” He winked.

“It takes the human stomach twenty minutes to realize it’s been fed, so slowing down might be in your best interest.”

“Are you concerned for me, pet?”

“What?” She snorted. “No. Just don’t want to end up having to give you mouth to mouth.” And what is wrong with me and this fascination with the man’s mouth? He had that luscious bottom lip sticking out ever so slightly at her and it was distracting.

“Duly noted.” What he wanted to say was he couldn’t imagine anyone prettier than her if he did need mouth to mouth, but she definitely wouldn’t appreciate that.

He watched her set down her fork as if finished though her plate was still half-full.

“Bloody hell, that’s not `nough to fill a bird’s stomach. Here.” He shuffled his chair from across the table closer to hers. “Try some of mine. You’ll love it.” He cut into his crab cake and held his fork out in front of her.

“You are so not feeding me.”

“Open up.” He cooed as if she were a child.

“What is it with you and trying to fatten me up?”

“`M not tryin’ to fatten you up, I promise. Jus’ want you to try some. Now open up.”

“No.” He tried getting closer but she backed up. He inched his chair over until he was sitting right next to her.

“Jus’ one bite.”

“Uh-uh.”

“Please?” He stuck his bottom lip out at her.

“Please, no,” she groaned and shielded her eyes. “Not the pout. Please not the pout.” She was getting distracted again, it was that irresistible. The man could melt an iceberg with the way that beautiful bottom lip stuck out just begging to be kissed and do not go there, do not, cannot, will not go there... Not yet anyway.

“Pleeeeease? For me, pet?” He exaggerated the expression, adding sad eyes to it. She just admitted she liked it and it pleased him to no end she openly shared that information with him. Besides, who was he not to use it to his advantage as long it was over something innocent enough as food? She sighed in defeat.

“Hmmph.” Opening her mouth, they went back and forth a few times, not quite establishing if she was supposed to hold still or he was. She reached up and held his wrist then lowered her mouth around the fork slowly. “Mmmmm. That’s possibly the best thing I’ve ever had in my mouth.”

Bloody hell! His pants grew uncomfortably tight. He could have sworn the way she wrapped her lips around the fork was intentionally suggestive and when she said that, he couldn’t help his natural male instinct when it came to envisioning putting something else in her mouth.

“Can I have another?” She saw the way his Adam’s apple bobbed in his throat and his eyes turn dark in response to what she’d done. Sure, she felt a bit guilty for teasing him like this, but she wanted to see if he’d keep his comments in check and there was only one way to tell... do it again. If he remained silent then maybe they did stand a chance together.

“Yeah.” Clearing his throat after his answer came squeaking out like a teenager on the verge of puberty, he quickly scooped up another forkful and held it up, waiting for a repeat performance. Instead, she parted her lips and allowed him to bring it to her. You li’l minx. She was most definitely doing this on purpose. Oh no, he wasn’t going to fall for it. He was pretty sure he knew what she was trying to do and no way was he going to mess up his chances by saying what was on his mind. But God love her, she made him lose his mind with all the erotic imagery she filled his head with.

“Your plate will be cleaned by night’s end since you still seem hungry.” Changing the subject would hopefully ease the tension in his pants.

“Wanna bet?”

“Eh-eh-eh. Never make a bet with me unless you plan on keepin’ your word should you lose, pet.”

“Really?” she asked, intrigue lacing her tone. “I know you’re not calling me out.” He raised an eyebrow at her.

“Yeah. Maybe I am. You up for it?” he dared her and she nodded. Bloody perfect opportunity. “Alright, if I win you have to lemme take you out again.”

It was exactly what she wanted to hear. “And if I win... I might actually think about it.” She threw him a wink, letting him know it was a win-win situation no matter who lost. He chuckled and for whatever reason, she couldn’t take her eyes off him. That’s when she realized she was seeing him in a new light now that he was starting to share a different side of himself. And God help her but she found that she liked it... very much.

And he thanked God above for her answer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the next twenty minutes, they fell into a light, banter filled discussion about their individual jobs while Spike covertly kept digging his fork into her plate, alternating between feeding her and taking bites of it himself. The waitress came by, offering dessert to which Spike said no for the both of them after remembering Willow’s little analogy.

There was no reason to remain at the restaurant any longer but he didn’t want the night to end, so he tried to engage her in conversation about her childhood and was thrilled she talked instead of asking to be taken home right away. As time wore on, the mockery lessened while small smiles were exchanged more frequently. She hadn’t asked him to move his chair away from her and even leaned into his shoulder a few times when he’d managed to make her laugh.

They hadn’t run out of things to talk about, but when the restaurant began closing up for the night, Spike announced he would take her home since he didn’t want her to turn into a pumpkin and he had to be up by zero four hundred the next morning. Had that much time actually passed? They’d stayed until closing time? She couldn’t remember what she’d expected to happen while out with him, all she knew now was she definitely wanted to see him again. Sure, they had some serious talking to do, but tonight had been fun and apparently just what they needed. Her ‘maybe’ to giving him a chance had just tilted heavily towards a yes.

The ride back to her barracks was made in silence, but when they reached the parking lot, he shut off the engine and looked over at her.

“I’ll jus’ walk you to the front door.”

“Afraid I can’t handle myself if I get jumped?” She quirked an eyebrow at him.

“I know YOU can, `s the other bloke `m worried `bout. Unless you don’ want me to?” he quickly added. Had he said the wrong thing?

He was impossibly cute as she knew he was back-pedaling from what he thought was a mistake. Huh! Gunn was right, she did seem to hold power over him, but no way was she going to use it against him. At least not in a manner he wouldn’t enjoy... eventually.

“I’d like that,” she offered with a smile. He was out the door in a flash and on the other side of the car to open hers. “But you can drop the gentleman crap. It doesn’t suit you and frankly? Wigging me out here.” He laughed heartily at this.

“`F you don’ like it I’ll be glad to walk ahead of you from now on.” He leaned in closer to her. “`Sides. Isn’t that a woman’s place? Behind her man?” He quickly moved away from her as he knew she’d be outraged.

“Ahh!!! You-you, arghh!” she cried indignantly and punched his shoulder then giggled, shaking her head as he bowled over laughing from having teased her.

When he came back to walk beside her, he was rubbing his shoulder and she slipped her arm around his elbow while her other hand came up to pat the area she slugged. “I can see I’m going to have to kick your ass more often to keep you in line, Mister.”

Bloody hell! She was, she was... holding onto his arm, being affectionate towards him. A huge grin came over his face at this small but significant development. “Was kinda hopin’ you would.”

Upon reaching the door, he felt like he was back in high school, at that awkward part of the evening when one wasn’t sure if they should go for that goodnight kiss or not. When she let go of his arm, he knew there was no sense in ruining a perfectly good evening by hoping for too much too early.

“Thanks for havin’ dinner with me tonight.” He shoved his hands inside his duster. “Can I see you again when I get back?” She answered him with a simple ‘yes’ and smiled prettily at him. He nodded once, deciding it was best to leave it on this note. “Goodnight then, Buffy.” Just as he turned to leave, he felt her hand touch his arm gently, turning him back towards her.

Standing on her tip toes, she planted a lingering kiss to his cheek. “I had a nice time tonight. Thank you.” Yes, he would definitely be seeing her when he got back.

“You’re welcome.” He turned to head back to his car feeling ten feet tall when she suddenly called out to him.

“Oh and Spike?” She waited until he looked at her.

“Yeah, pet?”

“It’s the Drill Sergeant uniform. The brown hat and green belt,” she winked. “Does it for me every time.” She left him with that parting thought, feeling more than naughty for having done so, but knowing he’d appreciate it.

Stunned, he watched her enter the building and his heart skipped a beat from her surprising admission. Good thing I decided to keep `em... saucy minx!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Five weeks later

Gunn noticed Spike staring off as if day-dreaming while sharpening his utility knife over and over, a small smile on his face.

“Hey man. Why don’t you just call her?”

Disrupted from his thoughts, he answered his friend. “Who?”

“Don’t even play. It’s written all over your face. For God sakes, I know you have your cell phone on you so just call the woman.”

“Can’. Don’ have her number and wouldn’ know what to say,” he shook his head. Tempting thought, but what the hell would he say, ‘hi, I miss you so much I can’t bloody think straight’?

“Send her some flowers then.” He about died laughing when Spike looked horrified at the mere suggestion.

“No! No bloody way. Bird’s not into that stuff.”

“I don’t care what you’ve ever heard or what Willow said, EVERY girl likes getting flowers. Trust me, man. I haven’t steered you wrong yet, have I?” He could see him seriously contemplating it. “Look, from everything you’ve told me, there’s no doubt in my mind she’s thinking about you too, so just do it. She’ll love it.”

“What? Have `em sent to her room?” Gunn shook his head at him.

“Uh-uh. Her work.” Spike shook his head no.

“Don’ know her schedule or if she’s been moved to a different department and...” He was interrupted.

“Quit with the excuses, brother. All you gotta do is call Oz and find out then call the florist shop.”

“`M not so sure `f this is a good idea. What `f you’re wrong and...”

“I’ll tell her it was my idea.” He brought out his own cell phone and proceeded to call Oz so Spike couldn’t back out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Willow and Buffy walked side by side after restocking the medical supply room, heading towards the front desk of the Pediatrics unit when they saw Oz standing there with a huge bouquet of wild flowers.

“Looks like somebody got flowers.” He watched as Buffy nudged Willow’s arm.

“Oh you shouldn’t have.” Willow said as she came rushing forward to smell them, dancing on her toes and smiling away at her boyfriend.

“Actually, I didn’t.” He hoped he wasn’t in trouble now.

“You didn’t?” Her eyes went sad.

Buffy watched the exchange and it suddenly clicked. “What? Oh my God, you two are involved?” They both turned to ‘shhh’ her at the same time. “I’m sorry, I just... oh wow. Hey, wait a minute. Why didn’t you tell me?” Willow gave her a guilty frown.

“I’m sorry, it’s just... We had to keep it secret because of the-the whole same unit thing. At least for now. Forgive me?”

“Of course, I just never thought... so that’s where you’ve been lately during your time off.” She laughed accusingly. “Who would have thought you and the former brown hat?” She turned to Oz who had an amused look on his face.

“She’s not the only one with a thing for Drill Sergeants.”

“Huh?” That put a halt to her laughter. “That is so not...” She looked to Willow who crossed her arms in a gesture daring her to deny it. She knew the details of when she and Spike had gone out to dinner. Oz took the card out and handed it over to her.

“The flowers are for you.”

Now her eyes went truly wide as she took the small envelope from him. Her fingers worked quickly to open it. ‘Thinking of you. Spike’.

Oz winked at his girlfriend when they both watched Buffy get a dreamy smile on her face as she read it to herself. Of course when she looked up at them, she cleared her throat and said with a straight face.

“I’m going back to work.” She grabbed her flowers, whirled on her heel and left the two redheads standing there to smirk knowingly at her. She wanted to be upset at Spike for having embarrassed her like this, but there was no way she could. The flowers themselves weren’t what had her in a good mood right now... it’s what was written on the card.

She laughed over the irony of the situation. Here she used to do and say whatever she could to drive Spike away. And now? Now she hadn’t been able to get him off her mind. What was wrong with her? Sure the date, ahem, dinner was one of the best times she’d ever had, but, but... I am so screwed, she thought as she realized what she was feeling. She was now missing her former enemy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One week later on a Friday night.

“Got a date with Sergeant Peroxide tonight?” Faith asked.

“What?!?! No. Of course not.” She went back to playing with her hair in front of the mirror, undecided as to whether she wanted it up or down. “We’re not... dating.” God that sounded so, so high school-ish to say.

“Whatever you say, B. I’ve just never seen you worry so much over what outfit you’re wearing or your hair.”

“I’m just going out to the NCO club tonight with Willow.” Hey, it was true.

“Let me.” Faith walked up behind Buffy and pushed her hands down so she could help her try a slightly different up-do. Arching an eyebrow at her roommate in the mirror, she asked, “And the fact Spike just got back from the field and tonight would be their ritual get together is just a coincidence?” Buffy rolled her eyes and sighed.

“Is it that obvious?”

“Pretty much.” She used a few hair pins on the inverted French twist, leaving the hair free at the top before taking a curling iron to it. “You don’t have to be nervous.”

“I’m not nervous.” Her tone betrayed her though she tried to act all innocent. “He may not even be there.”

“You know he’ll be there. They’re grunts for God sakes. They live for their little camping trips and beer.” Buffy nodded her head.

“True, but I’m worried he may get irritated seeing me there. You know, he may not want me around while he’s with his buddies.”

“You haven’t seen him in six weeks, you CAN’T stop talking about him AND he sends you flowers. I think it’s safe to say he’ll be very happy to see you. There. Done.” She used some hairspray over the area she curled and gave her a smile when she turned around.

“Thanks.”

“No problem. Now go get your man so I can have the mirror. Unlike you, I do have a date tonight.” Buffy grabbed her coat and was about to head out when she decided to make her privy to something as well as give her some advice. “FYI, B. He’s clean. And if I were you, I’d talk to Tara about getting on the pill soon.”

Her jaw dropped in shock. “Clean? Tell me you didn’t.” Of course she did. She worked in patient records and pulled Spike’s medical folder to see if he ever had any STD’s.

“Just looking out for you. Besides, bareback is best. Until then.” She pulled something out of her purse and threw it to her. “Safety first.”

“Oh-my-God! I am NOT taking a condom with me.” She tossed it back but Faith walked right up to her and shoved it in her purse while talking.

“You’ve already put the cart before the horse with this guy and you can’t tell me you haven’t been thinking about it.”

“I so have not. I’m not, we’re not... not ready for that yet... again. ”

“Need I remind you that you talk in your sleep?” She opened the door so Buffy could make her sudden yet expected exit.

At this, Buffy turned five shades of red, went silent and walked out the door. Damned if she hadn’t been having erotic dreams about Spike lately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

NCO Club

“So? Did she like `em?” Spike asked Oz casually before taking a sip of his beer. His friend had arrived a few short minutes ago, so Spike hailed him over to his table. Oz nodded, giving him the thumbs up.

“She tried to hide it, but you’re in.” He chuckled as tiny signs of relief flooded Spike’s features. He still couldn’t get over seeing this side of him, all nervous over a woman. He did a good job of trying to hide that nervousness behind his usual bravado but to the ones who knew him, like himself, it was easy to read.

Unlike most of their ceremonial, after FTX get-togethers, Spike really didn’t want to be here. What he wanted more than anything was to see Buffy but he couldn’t. Yes, she’d said he could see her when he got back, but he wasn’t about to drive over and show up at her barracks unannounced. He could kick his own arse for not having thought to ask for her phone number when he’d walked her to her door after dinner six weeks ago. So now here he sat, wondering if he should ask Oz to ask Willow if he could have her... hold the phone.

There she was! He and his comrades had chosen a table off to the side up against a wall and she’d walked right past him with Red. In a simple outfit of jeans and a long sleeve cream colored shirt stood his Buffy, one would think from Spike’s expression she was a glass of ice water to a dying man in the desert.

After ordering a soda, she nonchalantly scanned the area. No Spike. Her heart sank. Maybe he hadn’t arrived yet. Maybe he wasn’t going to show up at all and even if he did, she wasn’t sure what she would say. She didn’t want to interrupt his guys’ night out and-and, I shouldn’t have come.

“This is a bad idea,” Buffy said as she turned towards Willow. Not Willow!

“Wha’s a bad idea, pet?” He had to walk around the large crowd on the dance floor just to get to her and could tell she never saw him coming.

Say something, say something. She pointed a finger at her drink. “The lemon. Yeah,” she tried composing her face. “In my... my soda. Makes it taste funny.” She screwed up her face and tried to play off her nervousness. He was in his usual all black attire but it was the half smile he wore on his face as he studied her, his head tilted to one side that made her weak in the knees. He reached for her glass and took it from her, setting it down on the bar.

“I’ll get you another, but it can wait.”

“Wait?” she asked meekly. “Why?” Feeling him gently take her hand in his warm, strong one, he didn’t answer but cocked his head towards the dance floor while lightly tugging on her to follow him. Looking over her shoulder, she saw Willow standing with Oz, the both of them smiling away as if encouraging her.

“Dance with me?” he asked, though he wasn’t really giving her a choice when they reached a small opening and he wrapped his arms loosely around her waist.

Inside she was thrilled but it was time to shake off this nervousness, it was ridiculous. This was Spike after all. Just because she hadn’t seen him in six weeks was so not a reason to get all flustered. She cleared her throat and placed her hands lightly on the tops of his shoulder, noting that he’d left some distance between their bodies and didn’t try to pull her close.

“Now why would I want to dance with you?”

Ever the sassy bint with her typical teasing, he retaliated with a bit of his own. “Cuz `m the best lookin’ bloke here?” She rolled her eyes at him and he chuckled. “How `bout cuz I asked you all nice like?” He purposely pouted.

“Evil man!” She playfully swatted his chest. He knew damn well what he was doing, using that pout against me.

“What can I tell you, baby?”

His voice went impossibly deep, threatening to melt her heart like ice-cream in the hot, open sun.

“I’ve always been bad.”

And what was it about his ‘bad boy’ persona that made her just want to give herself over and into it?

She needed to distract herself from those kinds of thoughts; this wasn’t what they were about anymore, the time for that could wait. “How was your trip?” He gave her a meaningful look, eyes scanning but never leaving her face, intense blue eyes threatening to see right through her words to read her very thoughts.

“Le’s jus’ say... `m glad to be back.” Tilting his head to study her, he tried to reach her on a deeper level, hoping to convey what he was feeling and to possibly find some measure of the same reflecting in her eyes.

His unwavering, powerful gaze drew a smile of mutual understanding from her. Funny how certain she was they were sharing the same thought, that she’d missed him just as much. Sliding her right hand down his arm, her elbow settling into the crook of his, she laid her cheek on his chest and smiled against the leather lapel of his duster.

Really glad to be back. Closing his eyes, he rested his chin on her head, losing himself in the sweet, delicate scent of her hair.

The couples around them vanished as the gentle sway of their bodies lulled any lingering tension away, replacing it with that stillness of quiet that comes only from contentment. All her mind knew was the comfort of his strong yet gentle embrace in the here and now.

The song was coming to an end and he suddenly felt selfish. He didn’t want to return to his friends, didn’t want to share her with her friends, to be distracted from her or have one ounce of her attention taken off him. “How `bout we get outta here? Go someplace where we can be alone?” She pulled back, her face full of apprehension and suspicion.

Searching his eyes, she saw his immediate need to clarify his thoughts for fear of frightening her and she instantly relaxed.

“Jus’ to hang out, pet. I promise. Someplace a li’l quieter.”

“But it’s your night out, what will your friends think?”

“Don’ soddin’ care what they think.” The choice was pretty clear in his mind whether to spend his time with the men he saw everyday or to be with her.

“But...”

“Shhhh. I know what you think they’ll be thinkin’ when we leave together and I won’ have you worryin’ `bout that. Anyone so much as looks sideways at you, says one bleedin’ disrespectful word, they’ll wish they’d never been born.” That got a chuckle out of her.

“Are you going to beat them up like you did Sergeant McDonald?” She was just teasing but his expression went deadly serious.

“Exactly!” Her smile fled so he felt the need to enlighten her because it was no laughing matter to him. “Lindsey... Sergeant McDonald was transferred to our group cuz he used his Drill Sergeant status to sleep with recruits. I had others watchin’ his every move alongside `f m’self. What you saw that day...” he paused to take her hands in his and spoke firmly so she understood he was telling the truth. “What I did to him was cuz he made it clear he had designs on you.” His hands trembled from the emotions he’d felt as he remembered that day. “It scared the hell outta me, pet. I was protectin’ you and, and... I was so angry that things got outta hand. `M sorry you had to see that but even more sorry to have to explain it.” His voice went soft. “Do you understand?” She gave him a tiny nod and he could see that she did though her face registered shock.

It made sense, especially when thinking back on why he’d grilled her about where she’d woken up after her little concussion or the time he appeared angry for no reason when Sergeant McDonald was helping her with her drills. Her body gave an involuntary shudder as she remembered thinking Sergeant McDonald was getting too physically close to her. Though she hated violence, Spike had been very right as she thought about how frightened she would have been if the other Drill Sergeant had cornered her, threatened her if she didn’t, if she didn’t... Her body shuddered again but she quickly shook it off. All that seemed to matter was that Spike had kept her safe from that. She smiled up at him.

“Can we go now?”


A/N: Funny little FYI. Being a medic myself, when I worked at FT Drum, and the job description I had at the time, I dealt with patient records on a daily basis. After spending months on end not dating (b/c at that point in my life - & in my mind - all men were pigs and nothing but a distraction), friends of mine were suddenly ‘putting a good word in’ for my husband, (who I had only ever seen around at that point) b/c he wanted to approach me. Before I even considered going out with him, I totally delved into his medical records like Faith did for Buffy, lol. (I told him as much but of course he understood and laughed). One can never be too safe. Hope everyone enjoyed the chappy and if you find some time, please let me know your thoughts - because - we are very, very close to the end now.