Author's Chapter Notes:
There’s actually a lot I wanted to put into this authors note but unfortunately I can’t. I’m on some super potent pain killers right now (feeling really loopy here) from having a root canal this afternoon so I must be brief or suffer sounding like an idiot because I can barely type right now let alone think. Just know that I hope you all enjoy the chapter and I tried my best to make it a long one jam packed full of action, banter and of course, *winks*, those moments our couple needs most on the road towards love. Have a wonderful week, hugs.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


She rode with Spike since Willow had driven her to the club but didn’t think to ask where he was taking her until they’d gone off post.

“Uhmm, where exactly are we going?”

“Figured we’d go back to my place.” He shrugged then looked over to see one very wide-eyed Buffy. “Jus’ to hang out, nothin’ more. You have my word,” he reassured her.

“Good, because I’m not in the mood to get brought up on charges for assault and battery.”

He laughed then suddenly remembered something. “Tell me, pet. Were you a good girl while I was away?” She arched an eyebrow in response to his question, crossed one leg over the other and both arms over her chest. “Got somethin’ for you.” He reached in front of her and told her to relax when she jumped. Taking a small sack out of the glove compartment, he handed it to her. “Here.”

“What is it?” She pulled out a pink T-shirt and held it up to read what it said aloud. “Army of One. Not that I’m not grateful but, uhmm, I don’t get it.” He chuckled then composed himself before explaining.

“Don’ you remember?”

“Can’t say that I do.”

“Remember that day at the mall when you told me you were an Army of One when it came to takin’ care of your, how shall I say,” he exaggerated his cough for emphasis. “Needs?”

“Yeeeeeah,” she answered cautiously, wondering where he was going with this.

“Now don’ take this the wrong way, but tha’s the reason why I bought it for you.”

“I still don’t get it.”

“If and when you ever feel ready to have a battle buddy for that... particular exercise, you can wear it to let me know. Because `m not goin’ to bring the subject up to you ever again... I learned my lesson.” He held his breath, hoping she wouldn’t get mad over what he thought was a perfect solution or think he was being too presumptuous in assuming they would one day be in a relationship together.

She doubled over with laughter, clutching her stomach and trying to catch her breath long enough to tell him, “Only you, a-HA-HA-HA, would think of, A-HA, something like that.” It took her a few more breaths to calm herself so she could voice her approval in her own way. “I’ll do that. And thank you.” She folded it up and was grateful her purse was big enough to accommodate it with no problem.

Thankfully she missed the huge grin on his face. He was immensely pleased with himself that it went over so well, but even more so over what she’d said. He hadn’t wanted to get his hopes up too high, but it sounded as if she just might give him the chance he’d asked for. Pulling into the driveway of a two story house he informed her they were at his place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike led her up a set of stairs on the side of the house and opened the door so she could walk in first.

“`S only four rooms but `s home.”

“It’s bigger than my room at the barracks.” He took her coat and purse from her to hang up.

He pointed in each direction. “Kitchen, bathroom, livin’ room, bedroom around the corner. Why don’ you make yourself comfortable and I’ll get you somethin’ to drink?”

“Sounds good, thanks.” She walked into the tiny living room that housed only a few pieces of furniture, a small love seat, coffee table, a short entertainment center with TV and a book case. Only two walls held any picture frames housing mostly military plaque awards, certificates or Infantry related photographs.

“Nice I-love-me walls you’ve got.” Ego much? Of course looking at some of them a little closer, she had to admit his accomplishments were pretty impressive.

“What was that?”

“Nothing.” She cheerily answered back, hearing him rummaging around in the refrigerator, calling out to let her know what he had.

“Got water, soda, beer...”

“Can I have a beer, please?” Hopefully it would help to relax her a bit. She knew she had no real reason to be anxious, but this was the first time she was seeing where he lived, seeing him in his own environment and as such, felt a bit awkward. Nearing his bookcase, she took in a long row of military coins, a wrapped up American flag in a shadow box and various war related books and other typical Army paraphernalia.

“Here.” She jumped a mile. “Sorry. Didn’ mean to frighten you.”

“I didn’t hear you come up behind me.” Jumpy much, Buffy? “Thank you.” She walked over and sat down on one end of the sofa and took a huge gulp from her beer as quietly as possible when he sat down on the opposite end. There wasn’t much space to be had between them by doing this and it felt weird to see him keep his distance from her at this point. To dance with him had been one thing, now it looked like he was trying his hardest for her sake not to even touch her.

Bloody hell, this is awkward. For several long moments he watched her fingers play nervously with her bottle, her eyes darting about like a trapped animal taking in its surroundings, looking for an exit so she could bolt the second the opportunity presented itself. He hated that she seemed so edgy and wondered what he couldn’t do or say to help her relax. She looked more like the scared little girl he’d first met in Basic than the bold spitfire he knew her to be now.

“So, I...” They both spoke at the same time, trying to break the awkward silence then laughed when they did it again to say ‘you first’.

That’s when he thought he might better offer her a way out rather than have an evening on his hands so disastrous that she wouldn’t want to come back.

“Listen, `f you’re not comfortable bein’ here... I can take you back.” She nodded while averting his eyes and his good mood instantly collapsed as the chance to spend time with her slipped away.

“I think that would be best.” She spoke softly, keeping her face expressionless while placing her bottle on the table.

“Right then.” Setting his beer down, he was more than disappointed. He held no illicit intentions in bringing her here but he should have known better and taken her somewhere public instead. Way to go, mate. Scare the poor girl.

She watched him sigh, a forlorn look gracing his features as he stood.

“Spike,” she tugged on his arm, waiting until he looked down at her. “Sit down, I’m just kidding.” The expression on his face was priceless but the look of relief on his face quickly melted into one of annoyed amusement. She fell into a fit of hysterics. “You are too easy.”

“Bloody minx,” he muttered and fell back in his seat. Shaking his head over being ‘had’ by her little joke, he waited until she was sufficiently calmed down. “So what’ll it be, Summers? The radio or some telly?”

“Telly?”

“Television,” he pointed.

“Depends on what movies you’ve got. Can I see?”

“Be my guest.” Watching her walk over to look at his DVD collection, he still couldn’t believe she was actually okay with being here at his place. “`F you’re lookin’ for a chick flick, you’re outta...”

“Got one.”

Luck. That was fast. He got up and went over to see what she’d chosen.

His eyebrows shot up in surprise as she handed it over then looked questioningly at her. “Have you seen this?” It was the classic movie ‘Platoon’.

“At least ten times. It’s one of my favorites.” She bounced away to sit back on the couch.

“Never thought you’ be into war flicks.”

“Let me guess. You thought I was into girlie kinds of pictures?”

He finished setting the movie up and turned around to find she’d taken her shoes off and was sitting cross legged on the couch, a cute scowl on her face. “`S jus’ there’s a lot of blood in it.”

“Uhm, hello? Medic here.”

“Right.” Of course she could handle the gory stuff.

“Thought you were afraid of needles and blood?” She watched him sit back down and start unlacing his boots to follow her example, relieved they could settle more comfortably around each other.

“Oi!. `M not afraid.” His jaw twitched as he slumped back and propped his feet on the coffee table in front of him.

Oh, you are so lying. “So it won’t bother you to know I always carry a syringe in my purse as a weapon?” His head snapped in her direction.

“Don’ even bloody joke `bout that.” She looked dead serious. “Chris’! You really do.”

“Gotcha!” He growled at her, causing her to giggle even more. She watched him spread both arms out across the back of the couch after hitting play on the remote. It looked like a move, but she could tell it wasn’t plus with her short stature, she was sitting down far enough that he wasn’t even close enough to touch her with his fingertips.

“`F I hadn’ deserved it for actin’ like a right wanker to you, I’d be bloody well pissed when you stuck my arse those months ago.” She patted his knee.

“Awww,” she pouted and spoke sweetly. “You were being such a pain in the ass I was only returning the favor.”

He raised an eyebrow as the opening credits appeared on the screen. “Shut your gob and watch the movie, woman.” The smile she gave him even while swatting his shoulder made him happy he’d brought her here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Halfway through the movie, Buffy heard Spike’s stomach grumble.

“When’s the last time you ate?” As he rubbed his stomach, his shirt lifted, revealing a delicious peek at those amazing abs. She quickly looked back at the TV, praying he hadn’t caught her looking.

“Couple hours ago.”

“Really? Wow! You must spend a lot of money on groceries.” A sudden visual popped into her head of the both of them shopping, but before she had a chance to shake the thought away, that imaginary scene was replaced by a very real and tantalizing vision. As he stood to stretch his arms over his head, the shirt that came loose from his jeans rose up high, giving her a two second look that felt like one of those slow-motion, ‘movie moments’ that lasts forever. She watched transfixed as those tone muscles rippled beneath his taut, ivory skin. Soft, sandy blonde hair trailing down from that oh so lick-able navel and... oh shit! DAMNIT! She glanced down, hoping he didn’t catch her staring because boy was this a déjà vu moment coming back to haunt her from Basic.

“M’ gonna go grab some snacks.”

“Mmm-hmm, yup, sure. Do-you-want-me-to-pause-the-movie?” She fumbled for the remote, dropping it on the floor. And could I act even more like a spaz?

“Nah. Be right back.” I will not get hard, I will NOT get hard. You bet he caught her, but no way was he going to call her on it. Bloody hell, `m hard. He’d just spent six weeks away from her. Add that to the fact she was the last person he’d been with and naturally his blood was going to run south. He took his time in preparing some food and getting his hormones in check before heading back to where she sat.

“Want some?”

He sat back down to her right and slung his arm behind her while holding a plate of crackers and cheese on his lap.

“I think I’ll pass.”

He laughed at her scrunched up nose. “Why? You think I dropped it on the floor?”

“Wouldn’t put it past you.” He got that mischievous little smirk on his face that suggested he was up to something.

“Wanna bet?”

Bugger. Her expression clearly said no.

Luckily he said nothing more and went back to watching the movie. She was pretty sure he was going to name a kiss as the price if she’d said yes. Little did he know that if he played his cards right, he wouldn’t need a silly bet to get one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twenty minutes more into the movie and Buffy couldn’t stand it any longer. To hell with it. She just hoped he wouldn’t say anything smart.

One minute he was engrossed in the movie and the next he felt soft hair tickling his upper arm as Buffy leaned her head into the crook of his neck and tilted her body towards him from his left. His heart rate doubled and he felt like a Nancy-boy for getting so excited over this small move of hers. I don’ deserve her, he thought as he brought his arm down to wrap around her shoulders, pulling her just a bit closer so he could smell her hair when he lowered his cheek to the top of her head. Interestingly enough, now that he was sure he’d been served his ‘meal’, he was no longer concerned about getting his ‘dessert’. When she was ready, it would only be that much sweeter.

She kept her hands in her lap and nuzzled against him when he pulled her closer. It felt so nice when he’d held her earlier as they danced and that’s what she wanted right now more than ever... to be held, to inhale his unique scent and feel the movement of his breathing beneath her face. It had been so long since she’d had human contact like this, not since Angel, though Angel couldn’t begin to compare to this man. It was hard to imagine what her life would be like right now had Angel remained faithful and followed her here. She smiled to herself, grateful for how differently things had played out. It felt like years rather than months ago when she’d headed for Basic to become a soldier, thinking it was a huge mistake once she’d gotten there. Now, however, she saw it as the best decision she’d ever made. She had a job she loved, great friends and she was... here. Sitting next to the person who used to be her worst nightmare, her former enemy, curled into his side with all these unexpected feelings for him racing through her mind and as crazy as the situation was, it just felt right. Yes, things were turning out rather nicely.

The next few minutes were spent trying to work up his nerve. He wasn’t sure if it was too soon or if she would want to hear him out, but he wanted to be able to move forward with her if she’d allow it and he didn’t feel they could unless the air were completely cleared of their past. It was something he’d thought long and hard on while away in the field and when Gunn agreed they needed a clean slate to start with, he knew the sooner it happened, the better chance they stood.

“Buffy.” He started carefully, hoping his courage would last long enough for him to say what he had to say.

“Yeah?” She felt his arm twitch and thought something was wrong but remained where she was.

“Uhmm, I... ahh....” Bloody hell, this was harder than he thought but he couldn’t back out now.

“Is something wrong?”

“No, nothin’s wrong I jus’, jus’ wanted to say... to tell you...” Chris’ mate. Quit yammerin’ and get on with it. He felt foolish for being brave enough to go to war but when it came to talking to a woman all he could do was stutter. But this wasn’t just any woman. This was Buffy... and he needed to get this right.

She could tell he wanted to say something important and it was difficult for him to get it out. So she reached over with her hand and threaded her fingers through his as they rested in on his leg, rubbing her thumb against his to give him the confidence he needed, let him know it was okay to say whatever he needed to.

“I don’ expect you to forgive me for everythin’ I’ve done to you, but I do want you to know that `m truly... very sorry.” Staring down at her tiny hand holding his, he smiled at her kind gesture of encouragement and wondered if she really knew just what an amazing woman she was.

“From the moment I first saw you, I was havin’... thoughts `bout you I had no right to and... I took it out on you, hopin’ they’d go away if I did.” He closed his eyes and leaned his head against the couch, shaking it back and forth. “So bloody stupid `f me. And I won’ lie to you and say it wasn’ lust at first, but over the weeks... after I tried harder to break you, hopin’ to send you home, you got stronger and it jus’ made me want you even more. By the time I figured it out, I didn’ trust m’self around you anymore so I kept my distance.”

So that was it, why he’d ignored her. She could respect that, especially after hearing his explanation behind the whole Sergeant McDonald incident.

`M especially sorry over what Angel did to you and for actin’ like a git `bout it. `M not proud to say this and I know `s not an excuse but... I was jealous. When I saw he’d written you after that, I was `fraid you might go back to him and I wanted you to see you didn’ need him, that you deserved better.” He sighed heavily. “When you tore that letter up... I don’ think I’d ever felt more relieved in my life and it wasn’ out of jealousy. I jus’ hoped you’d find somebody worthy of you someday and wished you well cuz... that was my last day at work and I never thought I’d see you again.” He paused, feeling out of breath like he was running a marathon, trying to get enough air in his lungs to go on.

“Spike...”

“Please,” he squeezed her hand gently. “I need to say this.” She nodded against his shoulder in understanding.

She couldn’t get over all this information he was flooding her with. Yes, it all made sense and yes, it helped her to understand even better, but he didn’t have to explain himself. She hadn’t demanded it of him or even asked. The six weeks they’d spent apart had given her plenty of time to think over Gunn’s explanation of things and she could tell Spike regretted everything he’d done to her. It was apparent in the way he’d treated her that Friday evening they’d had dinner with every look and kind smile he’d given her. But if it was important enough to him to say what he felt he had to, then she’d let him.

“That day... in my office...”

She felt him suddenly tense; his fingers tightening in hers as if holding onto her would make it easier and it made her appreciate what he was trying to do that much more. This was hard for him and knowing he needed to explain, she remained silent and brought her other hand to hold the one already clasped in his, cradling it gently.

“When I was packin’ my things to come here, you-you...” His voice took on a desperate quality to it, hoping she’d understand if nothing else. “I TRIED to get rid of you, to get you to go away but you wouldn’ back down and...” He pulled back to look in her eyes. “Buffy, I’ve NEVER wanted anyone as much as I do you. I couldn’ break you, couldn’ get you outta my head, couldn’ have you to keep for m’self and worst `f all, I had no right to want any of those things. Watchin’ you cut me down... I saw a passion in your eyes like I’ve never known and I was desperate to possess it, possess you, even if it was jus’ once and I snapped. I thought I’d never see you again and would be able to get over you but when I saw you in the ER, it all came rushin’ back.” Seeing her soft green eyes so full of understanding instead of hate, he relaxed a bit. “Bein’ the bloody wanker that I am, I had to go and bugger it all up.”

His eyes closed as he rested his head against the couch again. He genuinely felt tired, emotionally drained and completely stripped of his defenses to lay helpless before her. Should she decide to have him take her home and have nothing more to do with him he would understand and accept it.

Raising a hand to his cheek, his eyes instantly snapped open and she held her gaze steady to speak firmly. “Listen to me. The blame for that day doesn’t rest with you alone.” He tried to interrupt but she shook her head and kept talking. “I think you know I wanted you too. I made that pretty obvious. We’re both to blame but it happened and there’s nothing we can do to change that now. All I care about is that we can put it behind us.” He let go of the hand she held in hers to cup the one against his cheek. “Can we do that? Can we just put it behind us? Please?”

He almost couldn’t believe what he was hearing. “Jus’ havin’ you here... I don’ deserve, but...” He had to say one more thing, had to know if she wanted what he did. Only then could he breathe his final sigh of relief and let all his guilt go.

She melted when he moved to place a tender kiss in her palm then lower her hand back to his leg.

“If you decide to give me a chance, I promise you won’ regret it. `S goin’ to take time to build some trust between us and `s a long and important process `m willin’ to go through.” He chuckled nervously. “`M not gonna screw it up, not gonna....”

She quickly placed a finger over his lips. “Shhhh. I believe you. You don’t need to explain or prove that, Spike. Honest.” He nodded and she lowered her hand, this time to rest loosely across his waist. “Before I came here tonight, before I even saw you at the club, I already had my mind made up. I want to be with you.” She wanted to giggle at his expression it was so adorable, but thought better of it.

Shaking his head back and forth, he could scarcely believe she was giving him the chance he was sure he didn’t deserve then confessed to her, “Been goin’ bloody crazy these last six weeks.” His breath came out shaky and a bit nervous. “I’ve missed you so much, pet.”

She smiled sweetly at his admission. I am sooooo screwed, she thought as she realized there was no way to avoid falling in love with him.

“Then why haven’t you kissed me yet?” His expression went from shock to hesitation, his eyes darting from her lips to her eyes and back again but he remained immobile, almost as if he couldn’t believe what he was hearing. She tilted her head up to kiss his chin lightly. “I missed you too.” Placing a hand to the back of his head, she drew him down to place another chaste kiss to his bottom lip, gently coaxing him into joining her but he pulled away to ask her.

“Does this mean you’ll be my girl? Cuz I have to know.”

“Only if we can skip the whole awkward dating process because let’s face it,” she raised a sarcastic eyebrow at him. “That would seem kinda silly after everything we’ve been through.” She smiled at his nod. “Now shut up and kiss meeeeEEE...” She squealed when he suddenly decided to yank her sideways across his lap, wrapping his arms around her waist. Oh GOD! He was giving her that sexy half smile, half smirk of his before answering.

“Yes, ma’am.” Dipping his head down, he couldn’t wait any longer and brushed his lips across hers, rubbing their noses together over and over. He felt her hot breath wisp across his mouth when she parted her lips and he dove in to kiss her soundly, deeply, pouring all he felt for this tiny woman who’d brought him to his knees into each sweep of his tongue across hers, moaning when she pulled him closer by the back of his head.

“Ohhh,” she gasped when he finally pulled back, allowing her to breathe. She never knew a man could put so much into one kiss and all she could do was let him, let him and be swept away by the blissful myriad of emotions he made her feel.

Seconds passed before they slipped down the couch to lie beside one another, arms holding the other tight, mouths breaking apart every now and then to inhale just enough air before coming together again to revel in the taste of the other and the shared feelings of their new beginning.

Coming to his senses he knew he had to stop. His hormones were steadily spiraling out of control and he promised he wouldn’t bring the issue of sex up with her ever again. He took his time in slowing the kisses down before gently breaking it off all together to let her know.

“I could do this all night with you, luv, but we need to stop.” Her look of confusion was irresistibly cute and he lightly kissed her pouty lips one more time.

“Why?” she asked hesitantly. “I thought... I thought you were enjoying this.”

“I am.” Now she looked even more confused so he bucked his hips against her so she clearly understood. “A little too much. Sorry.” He lowered his head, realizing he shouldn’t have done that. “But I don’ want this gettin’ outta control before we’re ready.”

Oh God, her eyes went wide. How could she have been so stupid? Of course it would make him horny. She nodded and moved away from him to sit up. She’d been more wrapped up in her emotions than she was in her body’s response and never thought about the effect their kissing would have on him. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’ apologize, pet.” He quickly sat up and positioned her so that her legs were the only thing draped across his legs and fumbled with the remote so they were back to watching regular TV. Placing an arm around the back of the couch, he gently placed two fingers to her chin and turned her to look at him.
“There’s no pressure and `m not in a rush. We can take this however fast or slow you want to. Doesn’ matter to me. `S `nough jus’ to have you here tonight. Okay?”

She nodded and the subject was dropped as late night television took over. Around midnight, he asked her.

“What are you doin’ tomorrow?”

“Nothing. Why? Did you have something in mind?” She hoped so; she hadn’t even left yet and was already anxious to see him again.

“Jus’ wonderin’ `f we could spend the day together?” She nodded and he smiled. “What would like to do?” He saw her look around as if searching for an answer before turning to smile brightly at him.

“Paintball.”

“Paintball?” What the...? She pointed to his paintball gun on the very bottom of his book shelf. “Do you play?” This was a surprise.

“Nope. But I’ve always wanted to.” She gave him a devious smile. “Care to teach me?”

His cock actually hardened at the thought of playing this sort of war game with her. “You serious?” She rolled her eyes at him.

“As a heart attack.” He looked doubtful. “If you’re scared, say you’re scared,” she challenged him.

“Oi. What time?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next hour was spent explaining the details of what playing paintball entailed in order to dissuade her but the more he explained, the more excited she became. He was pleasantly surprised over her enthusiasm and of course more than thrilled to take her, he just never guessed she’d want to do something like this over maybe going to a movie or a having a picnic in the park instead. This was more of a man’s sport, a physically demanding type of game and oh yeah, he was definitely hard at the thought of being pitted against her in such a manner, though he felt a bit unfair about doing so until she suggested they ask Willow and Oz to come with them to play teams.

And so it was agreed. She would drive over to his place early tomorrow afternoon with enough of her personal clothes and toiletries to take a shower at his place after their game of paintball. He was more than pleased when she readily said yes to stay for dinner afterwards and spend the evening together watching movies. It seemed as if all his unfulfilled prayers were slowly being answered by this Californian beauty with whom he’d been so sure would never even survive Basic Training.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saturday afternoon.

“Is all this really necessary?” Both Spike and Oz insisted the girls wear every available piece of protective gear while all they chose to wear were masks.

“When you get hit, `s gonna hurt and if you low crawl or fall, the pads will keep you from bruisin’ further.” She scowled at him. “You’ll thank me later, luv.” He kissed her forehead and her scowl disappeared.

Walking away from her to go talk to Oz, her eyes were drawn to his back side. She should send God a bottle of wine or a quiche for having given him such a fine ass. Sans underwear in his Army green cargo pants with matching long-sleeved military sweater, she couldn’t help the dirty little thoughts that crossed her mind.

“...Buffy?” Willow said her name again.

“Huh?” Her friend gave her a knowing smile.

“You ready?”

“Oh yeah,” she nodded her head. “We’re gonna kick some serious ass.”

“We?”

Both men came walking back towards the girls, Spike being the first to speak.

“Le’s head out. Oz and Red will follow in two minutes then we can start.” Placing her hands on her hips, she shook her stubborn head at him.

“Uh-uh. Girls against the guys.” His chuckle infuriated her.

“No offense, pet, but `m Infantry. It’ll be over before it even begins.” He looked to Oz who nodded in agreement right before his smile dropped. Looking back to see what the cause was it seemed they faced not just one pissed off woman, but two with their hands on the hips.

“By the time I get through with you,” Buffy started. “You’re going to need a medic. Come on Willow.”

Willow pointed a finger at Oz. “Yeah. What she said.” She ‘hmmph’ed’ and stalked off to catch up with her friend.

They watched their girlfriends walk into the wooded playing field, Spike smiling after Oz expressed his opinion.

“Dude, I wouldn’t underestimate them too much. We WERE the ones who trained them to do this sort of thing, remember?”

“No worries, mate.” He slapped him on the back. “We’ve got experience on our side. First, we let `em think they’re doin’ well, then... ambush, capture, conquer.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I hope you have a-a plan, Buffy, because this is my first time, too.”

“Yup.” She smiled while reaching into her pack of supplies. “Here.” Handing one of the two items over to a nervous looking Willow, she reassured her.

“Is this what I think it is?”

“Smoke grenades. I found them in Spike’s bag when I went to grab my helmet.”

“I thought they were illegal in tournament play.” She frowned.

“They are. Seems Spike was planning on using them anyway, so I requisitioned them.” She winked. “If you get into trouble, use it to pull back, find cover and if you have a clear shot, take it.”

They picked one of the bunkers to hide in then waited, listening in for any movement that would alert them. It rained heavily the night before, making the forest floor soft and quiet while traversing it, so long as one was careful enough to avoid stepping on any twigs. She counted on Spike being stealthy enough to do just that and as for Oz, well, he was no stranger to this sort of thing either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too bloody easy, Spike thought as he picked up the scent of vanilla while moving quickly from tree to tree. Still, she could be anywhere, behind a tree, in a ditch or any one of the bunkers. The sudden sound of a sneeze quickly brought his attention to the left.

“Shhh,” Buffy scolded Willow who mouthed her apology.

Raising her head, she thought she heard rustling in the underbrush twenty yards to her right. There he was. She saw Spike move from one tree to the next, no doubt having heard her friend sneeze and was trying to outflank her. Taking careful aim at the next logical place he’d dart to in order to remain concealed she whispered to Willow. “Get ready to run and gun when I shoot, then we’ll leapfrog towards the right.” The cover fire would hopefully provide her the chance to move swiftly out of range without being shot because it was either girl’s guess as to where Oz was. Their main objective was to separate the men so that offensively, they stood a better chance. All four agreed that rather than play the standard way and eliminate players through kill shots, they would simply play until their time was up. Whichever team had less paint on their clothes in the end would be the winners.

Pap! Spike was taken by surprise when he heard the first shot then saw the paintball splatter against the tree he was heading for. Several more rounds were fired and he spared a glance to see Willow running for an embankment. Huh, his girl was doing good, covering her buddy like that.

Oz was further up the trail near to where his girlfriend was heading and took a shot right before she dove. These types of guns weren’t that incredibly accurate and it was probably a good thing since it would make for an interesting game.

“Sucker!” Willow called out then started firing at Oz, hoping Buffy was going to run soon.

She bolted from her spot and wound around to Spike’s right, trying to use his position against him to, “Eeeep!” He’d fired directly at her and the ball barely missed her side. Taking temporary cover behind some brush, she called out. “Missed me, missed me, now you gotta kiss me,” then darted off to another bunker.

Bloody minx! He couldn’t help but laugh out loud at her antics. Turning to Oz, he gave him hand signals to indicate he’d push Buffy further back so they could separately stalk down each woman.

What the hell is he doing? He was running straight for her as if he had a death wish. She shrugged, figuring it was his ass for trying to be Rambo. She fired away and thought for sure she had the perfect shot, but he tucked and rolled to the side, firing at her the second he lay prone.

“OUCH!” He’d shot her arm before she could move out of the way. “Damnit Spike, that hurt!” He called back after scuttling behind a mound of hay bales.

“Told you it would, pet. Don’ worry. I’ll kiss it later, make it better.” He heard her moving about but couldn’t see her. Uh-oh! That couldn’t be good. The noise was getting closer but still no visual on Buffy. He crouched down low and inched his way to the other side of the tree, figuring she was trying to creep up on the place she’d seen him last. Everything fell suddenly quiet and he used the next several seconds to scan the entire area, holding his gun at the ready.

She took her time to low crawl until she spied a body part to shoot at. That gorgeous ass of his was sticking out perfectly from where he crouched, the rest of his body obscured by the tall oak tree. Taking careful aim she placed her finger around the trigger, and inhaled.

The split second between hearing her whistle in a manner to get his attention and the blinding pain to his ass scared the shit out of him. “BLOODY HELL!” It hurt like a bitch but didn’t stop him from dropping down to roll as fast as he could towards an embankment. “FUCK!” She got him again, this time on the left side of his back as he was falling over the edge in search of protection.

“That’s two to one.” She smiled when he hollered out.

“Then it’ll be you kissin’ me and makin’ it better, pet.”

“Sorry. But I’ve never been the ass-kissing type.” She ran to the other side of some hay bales, barely dodging his fire. That’s when he made a bold move and came out to walk straight towards her, using repetitive fire with his own weapon so she had to remain low while he swiftly approached.

Oh shit, oh shit! Reaching into her pack, she pulled out the grenade and quickly pulled the pin. The moment before it went off, she popped her head up and stuck her tongue out at him. The smoke rapidly clouded the air and she retreated directly behind it then followed the westward path of cover it provided as the wind blew.

You li’l... She stole my grenades. He searched his own pack and sure enough they were missing. He had no idea where Oz was anymore so he couldn’t warn him, but knew he’d figure it out if he was within range to see where Buffy had used it. On gut instinct, he followed in front of the path of smoke, figuring she’d pull as far back as possible and look for the best cover. As soon as he had a sign of where she’d be, he’d take his time and low crawl a steady path towards her as silently as possible.

Several long minutes had passed and she hadn’t heard a single noise. Damnit! Where is he? She stayed on the move at first, waiting only seconds between objects to take advantage of the smoke but now she stayed put. Nervousness crept upon her as well as the feeling she was being watched. Her view of the forest floor was limited from the rim of the ditch she’d found but she was determined to stay put a bit longer, hoping he’d make a noise to give away his position.

He wanted to laugh at the sight of her head on a slow swivel, searching for him. Watching her movement to get his attack timed right, the second her head was turned away, he pounced.

She never had time to scream while being knocked on the flat of her back from her crouched position. Her weapon was quickly torn from her hand as well as the mask she wore. “Sp...” He covered her mouth and took off his own mask.

“Shhh.” He spoke in a hushed tone.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“Capturin’ the enemy.” He was practically on top of her so he rolled on his side but brought her with him by her waist so they faced each other. She chuckled at him.

“That’s not how we agreed to play the game.” She tried to be serious but he was getting to her with that devilish smirk of his. “You’re cheating.” Oh Lord, he was doing that head tilt thing. The man should be illegal he was so gorgeous.

“Told you I was a bad man.”

“Now that you have me.” She shifted closer to him, wrapping her own arm around his waist. “What are going to with me? Torture me?” He shook his head. “Interrogate me?” Again he shook his head. She brought her mouth close to his. “Pump me for information, perhaps?”

He growled when she said that and was going to scold her but she pulled him in for a tender kiss, her hand sliding up to hold his face. She felt so good in his arms and he was thrilled that she felt comfortable enough to initiate kissing him. He caressed her tongue gently and marveled at the feel of her tiny hand now wandering down his chest and along his side, maneuvering it to his back to hold him.

“Someone’s a right naughty girl underneath,” he chided when she broke the kiss, causing her to blush. She was definitely going to be the death of him but what a way to go.

“Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.”

“Don’ be, luv. I rather like a naughty girl. However...” he ran a finger slowly down her nose and over her lips. “Down the road, in the future,” he kissed her quickly. “`F you tease,” another kiss. “And don’ please,” and another. “You’ll be in for a spankin’.” He kissed her again but this time smacked her bottom playfully, causing her to ‘eeep’.

“Okay, I may have deserved that, but you are so dead.”

He rolled onto his back, taking her with him and noticed she was careful not to straddle his hips, but instead had only one leg in between his knees. He was grateful that at least she was cognitive of what might happen and tried to prevent it, but of course it happened anyway. He couldn’t keep from getting hard but he could keep himself in check.

“Close your eyes,” she whispered, waiting until he did so, then started kissing him slowly; lulling him into a false sense she was going to continue when she raised his hands over his head.

Once minute she was kissing him and the next... she upped and ran away, screaming with laughter. Bloody minx! She was quick but he was faster. He quickly caught up to her and grabbed the giggling girl around the waist, reprimanding her for having left her weapon behind on the ground.

“You know, pet. Tha’s not what I taught you in Basic.” He pulled her behind a tree in case their friends were about. “May have to enforce some, ahem... corrective trainin’ for being so careless.” He pressed her into the tree and kissed her, hoping she was alright with his teasing of the past.

And dear Lord but the vision of him in his Drill Sergeant uniform, playing a little game with him like that was turning her on before she had a chance to think about it. When the time was right though, she’d make sure she was an especially disobedient little soldier.

Pushing him away, she teased some more, enjoying the playful banter and wanting to goad him. “Please forgive my insubordination, Sergeant. Would you like me to drop and give you... twenty?” He groaned when she darted her tongue out to caress his bottom lip. Oh yeah, she knew he understood her meaning when she felt him take one hand from her waist and lowering it to adjust himself. Taking advantage of his position, she hooked her ankle behind his and quickly jerked him off balance so he fell on his back before taking off on the run again.

She was heading straight for the edge of the woods where they’d entered when he had an idea to get back at his naughty girl. After all, teasing him with the image of her on her knees doing that was very evil of her.

She ran as fast as she could, sparing a backward glance when he called out to her.

“You can run, but when I catch up...” Several more strides and he knew all he had to do was reach out to get her. However, when he spied something in particular just ahead of them, he held back and waited for just the right moment.

Sure she was outrunning him, she was about to slow down and cry mercy when she felt a firm hand to her waist, yanking her sideways to land in a muddy area. “SPIKE!!!” Sploosh! Ewww, gross!” She laughed when he rolled her over and pinned her body military style. She could feel the mud oozing through her clothes and struggled temporarily until his lips met hers for a quick kiss.

“Sorry, luv. Jus’ indulging in one of my fantasies `bout joinin’ you in... ARGHHH!” She brought a handful of mud up to rub in his face and pretty soon they were rolling and giggling, trying to get the other as dirty as possible... until they were interrupted.

“Hey, there will be no fraternizing with the enemy.” A paint covered Willow stood tapping her foot in front of the mud covered couple, Oz standing behind her with an amused look on his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now back at Spike’s place, he told Buffy she could shower while he started dinner.

It felt odd at first, showering at his place, especially when he was just on the other side of the door, but soon her curiosity took over and she was rifling through his medicine cabinet. Just as suspected, all of the contents were evenly spaced apart, labels facing forward, everything dress right dress in military fashion. She shook her head and laughed, if they ever lived together, that was another thing aside from cooking he wouldn’t get out of her. Scolding herself for even entertaining that thought, she hopped in the shower and set about trying to get the mud out of her hair.

Fifteen minutes later when she’d finished and walked into the kitchen, she was hit with the smell of food cooking away on the stove while staring at a half naked Spike. He’d swapped out his muddied clothes for nothing but a pair of sweatpants. Do NOT stare this time. Easier said than done! The man was practically built for sin. He may have apologized over what happened between them at FT Lemonworth, but there was no denying just how hot that experience had been when remembering how those sinewy muscles danced beneath his skin as he pounded... Bad Buffy. Good God, she was just as bad as Spike was before he stopped making lewd comments. Good thing he wasn’t a mind reader, he’d probably have a field day with it.

“Whatcha cooking?” She stepped up beside him to see it was spaghetti sauce he was slowly heating up while another pot of water was steadily coming to a boil.

“Somethin’ quick. Can you watch this while I take a shower?” She gave him a skeptical look.

“I will but there’s no guarantee I won’t mess it up. Cooking and Buffy are un-mixy things.”

He smiled at her scrunched up nose. “`S only spaghetti, luv. Jus’ stir the sauce and when the water boils, throw the noodles in and stir that, too.”

“Okay,” she said doubtfully. “But I warned you.”

“You’ll be fine.” He kissed the side of her head. “`M gonna go have a smoke first.”

She watched him walk over to his duster that was hung on the wall and retrieve his cigarettes. “If you don’t brush your teeth after that, it’s a negative on any kissage from me.” He smirked at her while opening the door to go outside.

“I’ll jus’ pull rank on you,” he curled his tongue behind his teeth then laughed as he dodged the hand towel she threw at him.

Wicked man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

She’d just turned the burner off since the noodles were done when Spike came out from his shower. The moment she turned to look to him, her breath caught in her throat and plop, the wooden spoon she was using to stir the sauce with slipped from her fingers to sink completely into the pot.

“Shit!” Yup, definitely built for sin. The man wore nothing but a white towel draped low on his waist, exposing those sharp hip bones of his, chest covered in water droplets while rubbing his head vigorously with another towel. This is so his fault, she thought as she grabbed another spoon to try and scoop out the one she’d lost.

“Want some help?” He saw what had happened and headed towards her when she stopped him.

“No-no,” she held a hand up behind her to prevent him from getting any closer. “Just... go get dressed.” PLEASE get dressed before I jump your bones. Thank heavens he was behind her because she knew he wouldn’t miss the fact her face nearly matched the color of the sauce.

“Right then, be back in a mo.” He smiled and kept his thoughts to himself.

While he was changing she thought seriously on the subject of sex. How long should they wait, were they supposed to wait? She’d only ever been with Angel and that was a different situation entirely. Spike said whenever she was ready. She chuckled out loud. Of course he’d say that. Just because he wasn’t talking about it anymore didn’t mean he wasn’t thinking about it. Hell, she knew she was.

Turning the second burner off now that the sauce finally came to a boil, she stepped away to lean against the wall, crossed her arms and stared at nothing in particular. She was already falling in love with him, was sure he felt the same way, so was it silly to bother waiting? Maybe Faith, in her own twisted way, had been right. They’d already put the cart before the horse in that department, so what were they waiting for? Correction, what was she waiting for? It certainly wasn’t a matter of trust. She already trusted him, which was, in her mind, the biggest hurdle of them all. Was there a standard waiting period between couples? Or was it an individual thing, based on the level of mutual trust. And I’m thinking waaaaaaaaaaay too much on this.

“What are you thinkin’ so hard `bout, pet?” Oops, she must have really been deep in thought the way she jumped when he spoke. She stood straight, shook her head and smiled, saying ‘nothing, just stuff’. She looked cute in her little white tank top, jean shorts and pony tail. She almost looked like a little girl if it weren’t for her curves and oh boy. What was it with this girl and her dislike for bras? Oh well, it would make life in the future more interesting for him. “Ready to eat?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy insisted on doing the dishes once they were through eating despite using his pout on her. The angle at which the couch was in relation to the kitchen, allowed him a clear line of sight to observe her. He sat there and watched her with a dreamy smile on his face. His girl, in his kitchen doing something as simple as the dishes had his thoughts running along domesticated lines of what it would be like having her around everyday. Yes, it was too soon, but when she was ready to be intimate, he still had his mind made up... she wasn’t going anywhere, wouldn’t want to. He was cocky, he knew it... she knew it. But Gunn had been right on the money when he’d said she was the only woman who could keep his ass in check.

She finished drying her hands then came over to sit on the couch next to him.

“What are we watching?”

“How `bout a horror flick so I can have an excuse to hold you when you get scared.”

Giving him a bored look, she swung her legs over his lap and settled into the arm he had resting over the couch. “I hate to steal your thunder, Tanto, but I don’t scare easy.”

That was the truth, if she could survive not being scared of him during Boot Camp, she damn sure stood a good chance this wouldn’t bother her in the least. “We’ll see. `S Wes Craven’s movie called ‘They’. Seen it?”

“I’ve never seen it but I’ve heard of it. Hey, doesn’t it have that hot actor in it, Marc Blucas?” She giggled when he gave her a warning growl and tightened his arms around her waist.

“Tryin’ to make me jealous over some white-bread actor that looks like he was corn fed in Iowa?”

“Who me?” she asked innocently. He raised an accusing eyebrow at her.

Minx! “Anyway, `s `bout childhood nightmares comin’ back to claim people as adults.”

“I think I can handle it. After all, YOU were MY worst nightmare.”

“Oi, pet.” Leaning into her neck, he nipped at the flesh above her pulse point. “Guess I need to claim you then, huh?” She giggled at first. “Mark you as mine?” he purred deeply.

Her mouth formed an ‘O’ when he went from being playful to erotic. His tongue darted out to lick along her neck causing her entire body to shiver. He’d hit an erogenous zone of hers and she knew if she didn’t stop him... “Spike,” his name came out hushed, a desperate quality behind it.

“Mmmm-hmmmm?” He was looking directly down her shirt, watching the effect his ministrations were having on her nipples as they pebbled before his eyes. He could hardly wait for the day when he wouldn’t have to restrain himself from the urge to rip her shirt away so he could pay homage to the rosy peaks.

He placed one hot, open mouthed kiss directly over the area where her neck met her shoulder and she just about went through the roof. Bringing her hand up to the top of his head, she knew he thought she was going to encourage him but instead, she pulled him off her then twisted his head towards the television.

“Down, boy. Time to watch the TV and don’t even think about pouting.” He chuckled.

“`M far from bein’ a boy, luv.” He pressed play on the remote, grinning when she kissed his cheek.

That’s the only thing that scares me. She knew all too well what he was capable of, that’s why she stopped him before her body had a chance to act on its own. “Can we lie down, please? My body is hurting all over from rolling around on the ground today.”

He waited until she stood then moved a throw pillow into position, scooted down and back to make room for her then held his arm open. “Come here, luv.” He felt bad over seeing the bruise on her arm and knew no matter what shape she was in physically, her first time playing this sport was bound to make her body sore. She leaned against the front of his body and he used one hand to knead the muscles in her neck, back and shoulder as best he could given their respective positions.

“Mmmmm, ahhhh,” she sighed. “That feels so-oooo wonderful.” Her voice skipped when he hit a particularly sore area on her back. She loved the fact he had such strong hands yet could be so gentle with her when she needed it. Before she even thought about what she was saying, a comment she’d often used around her girlfriends flew out of her mouth. “I swear a good back rub is better than sex.”

Both sets of eyes went wide and Spike paused for a brief second before resuming his work to her shoulder. No way on earth was he going to touch that one.

Once the movie was underway and Buffy began tensing over certain parts, he casually draped his arm over her waist. Her little tank top was cut mid-riff and his thumb instantly brushed against the smooth skin of her stomach.

The light tickle of his thumb to her belly was another erogenous zone. He very slowly stroked it over and over in a manner that mimicked a musician strumming a guitar. This, she was sure, was completely innocent on his part. There was no way he could know what it was doing to her. Still, after a minute of trying to ignore the effect it was having on her, she lowered her hand to his and pushed his palm flat to the front of her abdomen, allowing his hand under her shirt completely. It wasn’t too high or too low and definitely wasn’t ‘a move’ but it was the only thing she could think of to get him to stop from getting her overly aroused.

Bloody hell! She wasn’t playing a game with him or even teasing, but just feeling her warm hand on top of his, holding him to her stomach made his cock twitch. He could only pray she wouldn’t make him wait long for his ‘dessert’ because now he had the urge to slide his hand down the front of her shorts, delve his fingers inside her moist heat and see if he could make her cum all over his hand. Jesus he felt like such a prick now for not having finished ‘the job’ he’d started with her in the bathroom of that club weeks ago.

Oh no. It wasn’t long before his thumb started in again despite the position of his hand. She couldn’t handle this and certainly had no intention to embarrass herself by coming out and telling him. That’s it!

Buffy abruptly sat up and announced she needed to use the bathroom and would be right back.

“I’ll pause the movie, luv.” He watched her walk away and was grateful for the opportunity to adjust himself. A minute or so later, when she came back, he sat up in such a hurry one would swear he’d just been struck by lightening.

Standing there, pretty as could be, twirling her hair while toeing the ground like a little girl was his Buffy, wearing the pink ‘Army of One’ T-shirt, most definitely sans shorts and a coy smile on her face. He grabbed the pillow and quickly pulled it over his lap, not even sure why he was trying to hide the full hard on he now sported. What came out of her mouth, however, nearly made him cum in his pants.

“Wanna be my battle buddy?”





A/N: Most of you that are familiar with my work know that this type of evil cliffie means one thing... Now that Spike is getting his dessert, the muse is going to need a whole chapter so he can provide readers with a full-out buffet of sweet treats, *winks*. So don’t hate the player, hate the game, *giggles*. Till next update, have a great week, *smooches*.