Author's Chapter Notes:
First off, I’d like to say thanks to whoever nominated this story over at Love’s Last Glimpse Awards, I fell out of my chair when I got the email. I’m very surprised because I realize this story is kind off the beaten path from your typical spuffy fic. I’m very honored and pleased that someone thought enough of it to nominate, thank you so much very much. This one is for Dusty273 – who gave me a lot of extra help beyond editing when I got stuck. You’re the best lady, smooches. Sorry for the late update, everyone. It doesn’t appear as if life is going to slow down for me any time soon – hopefully in a month. I wanted to make sure that I remained consistent as far as the length of chapters before posting. I could, potentially, post more often but the chapters would have to be much shorter in length and you guys have been so great about this story that I wouldn’t want to cheat anyone by less action and more cliffies. I will however, still continue to ‘leap through time’ as it were, because it wouldn’t be realistic to span the story out over a short time period – at least not with the way our couple is at present. Some of you may wind up hating Spike in this chapter, but it’s kind of intentional. If you’re not highly amused by his stupidity, then you’ll most definitely be disgusted with his behavior - sorry. He is still very much a bastard and I’m purposefully painting him that way with a specific goal in mind that of course I can’t say right now. Spike is and will be for some time yet, a clueless, thick-headed, arrogant, typical male. There are no true feelings of love between these two as of yet... attraction??? Yes, most definitely. There may be, if you look hard enough within the text, the barest of hints of the beginnings of something close to feelings every now and then, yes – written on purpose, but that’s all. It’s not realistic for them to hop in the sack and go all gooey with love for each other at this point. Each has a lot to learn, especially about the other before love can bloom. I hope everyone enjoys the laughs.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Eight o’clock Saturday evening found Willow in Buffy and Faith’s room; waiting for Buffy to finish readying herself so they could go out for the evening.

Faith had been asking too many questions already, but when she kept asking them after Willow arrived, Buffy decided to hell with it. She’d already told Tara what happened with Spike and now that he was stationed here, well, she figured the truth needed to come out in case he decided to harass her at some point in the future when her friends were around. It only took a few minutes to fill them in on what happened several months ago and exactly what an ass he was to her in the ER.

“Oh-my-God, Buffy. I-I mean... oh-my-God!” Willow stared at her friend in shock while Faith applauded her.

“So you and Sergeant Hottie from last night, huh?” Faith nodded in approval. “Way to go, B.”

“I can’t believe... but I have to because, I... oh WOW. This is THE Sergeant Speichart we’re talking about?” Willow was dumbfounded, although it did explain a lot.

“I’m not saying I’m proud of it, Willow. It just, well... sorta happened.”

“I just can’t get over it. All that time spent being mean to you only to find out he has a crush on you.”

“Oh no. There is no crush. No crushes to be had on either end. It was a heat of the moment, purely physical thing and it’s NEVER going to happen again. Last night, he basically acted like it would be a privilege for me to jump back into bed with him.”

“I say go for it.” Faith encouraged her.

“Uh-uh,” she shook her head. “He’s arrogant, conceited, has no respect for women, antagonistic, crude and-and...”

“And you got it bad. Admit it, B. He wouldn’t be able to get under your skin and make you react like this if you didn’t want him.”

“What?!?!” She looked from one friend to the other, both had very different expressions on their faces, but Willow’s suggested she agreed with Faith’s opinion. “Whatever. Can we go now?” Willow nodded. “You sure you don’t want to come, Faith?”

“Sorry, B. The NCO club?” She quirked an eyebrow. “Not my kind of place.”

Indeed it wasn’t. The NCO club was the government’s idea of a bar which was located directly on post. The bulk of its patrons were comprised of soldiers, whether officer or enlisted and Faith was a wild child, a bad girl of sorts that preferred the darker, more questionable kind of bars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy and Willow had just made their way inside and up to the bar when a familiar face approached them.

“Hey-hey, ladies. Don’t tell me you two are stationed here?”

“Sergeant Gunn? Oh wow, how are you?” Buffy was the first to greet him and he immediately gave both girls a quick hug, insisting that they call him Charles or just plain Gunn, that Boot Camp was over with so they could leave the formalities behind. “You were right, both Willow and I got assigned to the MEDDAC here.”

“Ah see? I wouldn’t steer you wrong. So how do you like the Army life so far?”

“Honestly? I love it.” Buffy gushed. “It’s sooooo different than anything I expected.”

“We’ve only been here for about a month but the post seems really nice.” Willow turned to pay the bartender for their sodas.

“Speaking of post, there’s someone else stationed here that you two might remember.” He was curious as to Buffy’s reaction once he told her because he was sure Spike was going to pass a brick once he found out she was here.

“Really? Who’s that?” She tried to act curious even though she was pretty sure what his answer was going to be.

“Sergeant Speichart.”

“Hmm, that’s nice.” And he thinks I care because?!?! Taking a sip of her drink she didn’t bother hiding her complete disinterest.

Exactly the kind of reaction he expected out of Buffy. Willow, however, just shrugged her shoulders like ‘big deal’. “Hey listen, my unit just finished a three week field exercise today and some of the guys are here to unwind. You two should come and hang out with us.”

“You sure we wouldn’t be interrupting any time honored, infantry beer ritual or something?” she teased. As long as Spike was on quarters he wouldn’t be showing up and it might be fun to hang out with their former, loveable Drill Sergeant.

“Nah, are you kidding me?” He pointed over to his table where two other gentlemen sat. “Those are my boys’ right there. I’m sure they won’t mind a couple of pretty females joining us but don’t worry, they wouldn’t dream of getting disrespectful towards you with me around. Come on.” What Gunn failed to tell the girls was that Spike would be joining them soon. He still thought Spike had a thing for Buffy and now that he would have to be civil to her in this new environment, well, it would make for an interesting show if nothing else.

Following him over, he quickly introduced everybody and the group of five made small talk over the next few minutes. Gunn picked on the girls for drinking Diet Coke but only managed to get Willow to cave in and have a glass of beer from the pitcher he’d ordered.

Spike walked, okay limped up to the bar and ordered himself a beer. Placing his money on the counter, he picked up his glass and looked left and right in search of Gunn before turning around to an unexpected sight. Oh, ho-ho, this is too bloody perfect. Don’ even need to chase her. He automatically assumed Buffy ran into Gunn and when she found out he would be showing up tonight, decided to sit with his buddies just so she could see him again. After her little show last night... he should be upset but he wasn’t. He deserved what she’d dished out and accepted it as par for the course because she probably didn’t want to seem too easy.

Buffy was laughing over a joke when her peripheral vision picked up a dark figure approaching the table. “Oh no, not again,” she sighed with dread.

Gunn looked over at her then in the direction of Spike and back again. “Again?”

“Uhmm, yeah, you know,” she quickly covered her tracks since it was apparent he had no idea she’d seen Spike last night. “Basic Training plus Sergeant Psycho equals Buffy’s life a living hell, remember?” She ignored the laughter around her and watched her worst enemy approach. Wearing black from head to swollen toe, the ‘bad boy’ image matched his attitude perfectly... all cock and swagger, or hobble as the case may be. The black leather duster and smirk he sported completed the overall look and figures, his crutches were nowhere in sight and he’d donned a matching slipper to go with the whole ‘dark’ ensemble. It suddenly occurred to her this was the first time she’d ever seen him in civilian clothes and though she never considered herself one to go for the ‘dangerous’ type, he made it look incredibly handsome. It really was too bad to have such good looks wasted on his type.

Oh yeah, the way her eyes were fastened to him spoke volumes about how much she wanted him. “Summers. Good to see you.”

“Thrilling.” She didn’t bother disguising the sarcasm that laced her voice and looked away from him, hoping if she ignored him long enough he might disappear in a puff of smoke. “I think I will have a beer.” She looked to Gunn who chuckled then leaned in to speak low.

“Spike really is a good guy once you get to know him.”

She whispered back, “I’ll just take your word for it, cuz really? I don’t associate with jerks.”

Too bad she was already sandwiched in between Rosenburg and Gunn or he would have sat down right next to her. The only seat left available, however, was opposite her. She had the sexiest little red halter top on that accentuated her breasts and oh yeah, once again it was clear from the tic-tac effect that she wasn’t wearing a bra.

“Gentlemen,” he nodded to his comrades and took a swig from his bottle. Seems she still preferred the chase. More than likely it was her stubborn pride and that was fine with him. A girl with her spirit was worth it, she was worth it.

“How’s the foot man?” Gunn inquired.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over the next hour, the club filled with people and the sound of music and laughter. Spike wasn’t laughing however, he was stewing over the fact Buffy was ignoring him. He engaged in the friendly banter going on around him but kept glancing at her, waiting impatiently for her to either look his way or direct even the smallest of comments to him. Nothing. He received nothing from her. She treated him like he wasn’t even sitting at the table.

“How about a round of shots?” Gunn suggested to which everyone shouted ‘here, here’. “Buffy, Willow, you two game?”

“Why not.” Buffy beamed then looked to Willow who shook her head. “You so have to do one with me.”

“I’ve already had a beer, Buffy. I don’t think...”

“If I’m doing one, you’re doing one.” Poor Willow looked so nervous. “Just one, pleeeeease?” The guys at the table chanted ‘shot, shot, shot’ until she finally caved in. Buffy had a slight buzz off the two beers she herself had already drunk, but it was working wonders at relaxing her. She was here to have a good time and even Spike’s presence wasn’t going to ruin it for her. So far her plan of paying him no attention seemed successful. The fact she could feel his eyes on her every now and then along with the invisible weight of contempt at her ploy was simply an added bonus.

Gunn left the table and returned with six shots of whiskey, handing them out to everyone before declaring, “Bottoms up.” Everyone downed the liquor at the same time and he focused his attention on Spike. He seemed to be sulking and there was no question in his mind the reason was because Buffy was openly ignoring him. This seemed to support the notion that not only was he attracted to her, but that she just might be attracted to him as well. He hadn’t known Buffy on a personal level for very long, but he was a good judge of character and the tiny blonde definitely had ‘character’. Personally, he thought they were perfect for each other. But the reasons for it were also the very reasons why they’d never see it. Both were strong-willed, fearless in the face of any obstacle, obstinate, equally dogmatic in their view of one another... the list could go on and on but overall, they were a lot alike and just what the other needed. Being Spike’s best friend he wanted to see him happy, particularly after two failed marriages and Buffy seemed to be his match, the right kind of woman to both challenge and complement him.

Buffy made a face as the strong liquid burned its way down her throat. “Blahhh.” She picked up a napkin, stuck her tongue out and wiped at it to get the taste off much to everyone’s amusement while Gunn asked who wanted another.

“Wha’s the matter, Summers? Too much for ya?”

She looked up at Spike, who smirked while stroking the long neck of his bottled beer suggestively. He figured any attention from her, even if negative, was better than none. She scowled at him briefly then turned to answer Gunn.

“I could definitely use another.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another thirty minutes later and Willow got asked if she’d like to dance by one of Gunn and Spike’s friends. The normally shy, red-headed girl happily went out on the dance floor more than likely due to the two beers and shot of whiskey she’d consumed. Buffy herself was feeling pretty good but knew it was time to stop or she’d wind up praying to the porcelain God before morning.

While watching her friend have a good time, she never noticed that Gunn and his other buddy got up to go to the bar for another round of drinks until Spike spoke to her.

“Well, this is a happy coincidence... seein’ you here tonight.”

“I’d like to think of it more as ill-fated chance.” Sighing as if bored, she spared him a sideways glance before looking away again.

“Oh,” he clutched his hand over his heart. “You wound me with your words, pet.” Such a sharp li’l tongue. Speaking of her tongue, an image filled his head just then, making him wonder if she liked to suc...

“You.” She pointed at him. “Talking.” She moved her hand in ‘chatting’ fashion. “Ruining my buzz. Shoosh.” She ran her fingers in a zipping motion across her lips then turned her whole body away from him.

God he loved her fire, it looked absolutely gorgeous the way it danced in her pretty green eyes. Neither of his ex-wives ever gave him a hard time quite like she was now. They were easily charmed with no need for crudity or even wooing for that matter on his part. The fact Buffy was making it difficult on him, presenting a challenge, testing his patience among other things he wasn’t used to with her spiteful comments was a huge turn on rather than if she’d just fallen into his lap with little resistance. His cock was getting hard just watching her ignore him again, thinking about how satisfying it was going to be when he finally got to shag her.

“Look. I can appreciate it when you were playin’ hard to get last night, but you really don’ have to. Not with me.” She was either going to give in or get angry, either way was fine with him. The sooner she was in his bed the better. “Admit it, you sat with Gunn jus’ waitin’ for me to show up and we both know what you want... so you can drop the act.”

You cocky bastard. Just how vain and arrogant can one man be? Her voice belied how irritated she actually was, knowing it would do no good to let him see he was ruffling her feathers. “Number one, you’re NOT supposed to be here, you’re on quarters. Number two, maybe we should have sewn your lips shut in addition to giving you crutches which I see you aren’t using. And number three, who’s acting?” He snickered at her, further infuriating her that he found any of this amusing.

“Tsk, tsk,” he shook his head, scolding her. “You’re a terrible liar pet, and an even worse actress.”

“You’re deluded, you know that?” She might have considered, considered sleeping with him again if it weren’t for the fact he was a complete ass. This attitude, like he was the ‘it’ of all that was male? So not helping his cause.

“Admit it, kitten, wha’s really botherin’ you? That I made you cum so hard I know you saw stars or that I left afterward?” Sure, even he had to admit it was a rude thing to say, but if she could dish it out she’d better be able to take it as well.

She didn’t think it was possible to hate him even more than she already did, but he most definitely proved her wrong. “Do you not understand? The way I treated you last night was no act. I wouldn’t sleep with you if you were the last man on earth.”

“You jus’ keep tellin’ yourself that. I saw right through your little performance.”

She turned back to face him and leaned on the table, beckoning him with her finger to come closer. He fell right into her trap as she launched her counter-attack. “An act was what I gave you back at FT Lemonworth.”

“If it helps you sleep at night to believe that, pet,” he gestured one hand in a wide sweep. “Then by all means.” In that instant, he watched her pretty face flush red with anger... beautiful. “Wanna dance?”

She looked at him as if he’d sprouted a second head. “Would a vampire walk in the sun?” He acted bored as he sighed heavily.

“Come on now.” He leaned closer towards her and lowered his voice. “You know you wanna dance.”

“Don’t think so.” She shook her head and sat back to stare at nothing in particular so long as it wasn’t him.

“`F you’re scared, say you’re scared.” Leaning back in his chair with his legs spread wide, he hooked a thumb through his belt loop and picked up his beer. “Promise I won’ bite... unless you ask nicely.” That got the attention of her lovely green eyes back in his direction. He made a show of rubbing his crotch while darting his tongue around the rim of his bottle seductively, chuckling when she gasped with disgust at his actions.

She remembered a well used idiom from Boot Camp and decided he might better understand her answer if it were phrased to him in military terms. She spelled the two main words in the air with her finger and emphasized them. “That would be a GO... preceded by a NO.”

“Buff...” His friends were approaching the table so he clammed up. So bloody difficult. Though the chase was proving fun, he wondered how much longer she planned on running from him.

“Did you want to dance, Buffy?”

Buffy looked over at Gunn’s friend and then to Spike who had the nerve to narrow his eyes as if daring her to take the offer.

“I’d love too.” She waited until the young man came around the table, took his outstretched hand to stand and threw a mischievous grin over her shoulder at Spike while being led to the dance floor.

This should be interesting, Gunn thought. Even if he didn’t know Spike as well as he did, one thing was certain when it came to the male species... if Spike felt the least bit possessive about something or someone, jealousy would surely rear its ugly head.

All Spike could do was watch her walk away as he gripped the edge of his chair with one hand and squeeze his beer in the other. Getting his first eyeful of exactly what she was wearing had his knuckles turning white as pure jealousy ripped through him. Between her tiny mini skirt and a sexy pair of tall black leather boots showing off her delectable legs, she couldn’t have looked more beautiful if she’d tried.

`M not pissed, will not get pissed. His buddy had no clue who and what she was to him, so how could he get upset? Not pissed, not pissed... bloody hell I need to get pissed. At that exact moment, Buffy turned her back to grind against his friend while said friend looked over and gave him a thumbs up, as if trying to say he would be getting lucky tonight. Spike’s grip inadvertently tightened with such force that the bottle in his hand suddenly shattered and the contents drenched the front of his jeans.

“Bloody hell!!!”

“You okay, man?” Yup, he definitely had a thing for Buffy. He wouldn’t call him on it though. Spike was a private person that picked and chose when to share his carefully guarded feelings. When and if he ever decided to talk about it, he’d be there for him, one hundred percent.

The unbidden image of Buffy in bed with his comrade proved too much to handle. “`M fine. Be right back.” Mindful of his foot, he stood and carefully meandered his way through the crowded club towards the bathroom to get cleaned up. It was probably a blessing he’d made a mess of himself and had to leave, because he needed to cool down and not so much for himself as for his friend’s sake. Even though said friend was a good buddy, when it came to Buffy... all bets were off.

Buffy came back to the table after finishing the dance and excused herself to the bathroom. When she got there, however, it was already occupied. She stood there shifting from one foot to the other she had to go so bad before finally saying to hell with it. Looking left and right, she dove quickly through the door to the men’s room, locking it behind her.

“Oi!” Spike was standing inside the stall, just about to unzip his pants to relieve himself when she burst through the door. He glanced over his shoulder. “What the bloody hell are you doin’ in here, Summers?” In his anger, he must have forgotten to lock the door.

“Oh-my-God. Look, I’m sorry, but I gotta pee, so please leave.” Indeed she was desperate at this point.

“Me leave?” He turned sideways and pointed a finger at his chest. “Don’ think so. Number one, this `s the MEN’S room. Number two, I was here first and number three... no. So if you don’t mind?” He raised one brow in irritation.

“Erghhhh, just... hurry up then. It’s not like I haven’t seen-seen... IT before.” She continued dancing around but nodded her head towards his crotch.

He rolled his eyes, stepped out of the stall and waved to it. “Be my guest, I’ll use the urinal.” Why he chose to be nice to her he had no idea, he was furious that she wouldn’t dance with him but made a show of it with his friend instead. Sure, it might have been difficult for him with his foot, but it was a slow dance and would have been the perfect chance for him to hold her, to get to her, break down her defensive barrier.

“Oh thank God.” If she didn’t have to pee as bad as she did, she never would have even stayed in the bathroom with him, but nature wasn’t just calling, it was banging on the door of her bladder. The stall didn’t have a door on it unfortunately and as luck would have it, the urinal was on the adjacent wall. Spike sneered at her as he unzipped his jeans.

“Want me to wait till you’re finished?” She looked at him confused. “So you can hold it for me?”

“I hate you.”

“Feelin’s mutual, pet.” He sneered at her before turning back to take care of his ‘business’.

She did the best she could to keep herself concealed even though he wasn’t looking and to ‘go’ as quietly as possible. Reaching for the toilet paper she groaned aloud... there was none.

“Is there a roll of toilet paper out there?”

“Yeah.” He smiled to himself after spying a roll near the sink. Looks like she was stuck.

“Can you hand it to me, please?” she asked irritated.

“Wha’s it worth to you?”

“Don’t play around, Spike,” she punctuated his name with venom in her voice. “Just give it to me.”

“That’s what I’ve been tryin’ to do,” he muttered under his breath. He grabbed the roll off the top of the paper towel dispenser and walked over to the stall. “Here.” He held the roll out to her, chuckling when she snatched it from him then stepped away to wash his hands.

She came out of the stall just as he was drying his hands off and leaned against the wall, watching her while she washed hers.

“Why are you still here?” She could see his reflection in the mirror staring back at her.

“Think you could give a bloke a hand?” If he ever wanted to get on her good side, then he needed to let go of his anger and keep playing this little game of hers.

“What?”

“Walkin’ back to the table. My foot’s botherin’ me.”

“You’re the one who chose not to bring your crutches plus you made it here on your own, didn’t you?”

“Come on, Summers, have you no heart?” He gave her a pout.

“What’s it worth to ya?” She teased, using his own phrase against him.

“Touché.” He made a show of looking all sad and dejected, turned to open the door and exaggerating his limp for good measure. When she called after him he couldn’t contain the smile that his little plan worked to get close to her.

“Spike... wait.” She quickly dried her hands off and went over to hold the door for him. “I don’t want to have to pick you up if you fall on your ass so... I’ll help.”

Out in the hallway, he raised his left arm so she could get underneath his duster and drag it across her shoulders in order to support him. Whether it was that stupid, sexy pout of his or the fact he could potentially fall without his crutches, she felt like she’d just been conned. He leaned his hard, muscular body into her side with every step they took, causing an involuntary shudder to run through her at the unbidden memory of what his naked body against hers had felt like when he took her over the desk and.... Can’t go there, do not go there, she sing-songed in her head, just get to the table and get away from him.

They arrived at the table to find everyone laughing hysterically over something. Much to Spike’s delight, there were only two available seats for them to sit in... right next to one another. Buffy pulled out a chair for him then suddenly stood ramrod straight, her eyes wide with shock.

“You alright, Buffy?” Willow asked.

“Huh? Y-yes, I thought I’d forgotten my purse in the bathroom but I see I left it here.” She was caught off guard when Spike dropped his arm from around her shoulders and gave her bottom a playful squeeze. Her first instinct was to turn around and slap him, but she didn’t want to cause a scene.

“Oh.” The group quickly fell back into telling funny stories about experiences they’d had while at work or in the field.

She shot daggers at him with her eyes then turned her attention to the group with her nose in the air. Well, she couldn’t ignore him, not anymore. He was going to take full advantage of the fact she sat next to him to get her riled up, especially since there was nothing she could do about it.

“Whatcha got, ladies?” Gunn looked from Willow to Buffy. “Come on, you two work in a medical clinic so you must have a good story or two to tell.”

Buffy looked at Spike with an evil grin then back to Gunn. “Well, there WAS this guy who came into the ER recently and IIIII,” she squealed in a high pitched voice. “Don’t think that story is really worth telling.” Spike grabbed her knee under the table and squeezed, forcing her to look at him. He had a stern expression about him that clearly stated ‘don’t you dare’. Once she clammed up, he traded out that look for a seductive smile as his hand slowly began sliding up her thigh. Gunn asked Willow if she too worked in the ER, bringing everyone’s attention to the red-head who shook her head ‘no’. Using the temporary distraction to lower her hand to his wandering one, she grabbed hold of his middle finger and bent it backwards until he removed his hand from her leg. “We really haven’t been working there long enough to have anything funny happen yet.”

Spike hadn’t expected her to let him cop a feel but smirked all the same as he pulled his hand away. Leaning back in his chair, he spread his legs wide, pressed his thigh flush to hers and flung his arm over the back of her chair. Naturally she inched away from the contact and sat forward to lean on the table, but every time she moved her leg, he spread his a bit wider in order to touch her again.

Feeling quite tipsy, Willow interjected, “Oh-oh, I’ve got one. Buffy, remember the time Spike took you to the store in the middle of the night to buy tampons?”

There was a long, palpable pause until everyone at the table, except for Spike, burst into laughter. His eyes bulged from their sockets as he looked at Willow who visibly cringed from him, saying she was sorry.

“You CAN’T leave it there.” Gunn chuckled at Willow then turned to Buffy. “Well? Go on, tell us.”

Buffy sat back in her chair, accidentally leaning against Spike’s arm. She continued to giggle even as he growled low at her in warning and wound his fingers around her shoulder to squeeze. He didn’t care who saw it, all he could think about was his own embarrassment.

“It’s just like Willow said. He had to drive me to the store in the middle of the night.”

“I can’t believe you went in and bought her tampons,” one of the guys exclaimed.

“I soddin’ well did not!” he cried. “I handed her the money, she went in and got them herself.” This was not happening to him. He told Buffy not to tell anyone, oh, she would pay for this... somehow.

“Awwww, poor Spikey. Acting all grumbly and embarrassed are we? It was a long time ago.” Buffy taunted him.

Gunn checked his watch, “Shit. Speaking of time, if I don’t get home soon, Fred’s gonna be pissed.”

“We better head out, too.” If Gunn was leaving then she and Willow needed to leave. No way was she going to keep hanging out here with two guys she’d just met and most definitely not with Spike. When Gunn stood, she reached for her keys on the table only to have Spike place his hand over hers.

“Summers, neither you nor Red is in any condition to drive.”

“He’s right, Buffy. The barracks are close by, but we can’t take a chance. Let’s call a cab.”

Buffy rolled her eyes at her friend and grabbed her keys out from under Spike’s grip. “Okay.”

“I can give you a lift.” The gentleman she’d danced with earlier offered but before Buffy could answer, Spike cut her off.

“Don’ worry mate, I got it.”

“Uhmm, okay. Well in that case I’m out. It was nice to meet you Buffy, Willow. I hope to see you again, maybe next weekend? Same time, same place?”

“It’s possible, but I’ll have to check my schedule first.” Knowing Spike was watching her, she flashed the man a flirtatious smile. After her experience with Angel, she preferred her freedom over being in a relationship, but Spike didn’t need to know that. The chance to tease him was hard to resist and maybe, just maybe, if he thought she was interested in someone else he might leave her alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy wasn’t sure how it happened, but somehow she wound up sitting right next to Spike in the front seat with Willow on the other side. As soon as he pulled into the parking lot where they lived, he announced he would see them to their rooms. After Willow stepped out of the car, she turned to inform him.

“That’s not necessary. Besides, I am so not helping you walk anymore.”

“No worries, luv.” He reached an arm behind her into the backseat. “Got my crutches right here.” He smiled as she ducked out of his way and got out of the car.

Halfway to the door, Willow announced she had to take off ahead of them. “I’m sorry, you guys, but I really need to get to the bathroom. I had a good time tonight, Spike. Thanks for the ride.”

“But, w-wait, what.... SHIT!” She stopped and turned on Spike with all her anger. “Yes, thanks EVER so much for the ride but you can drop the chivalry crap now and go back to your car.” He feigned innocence.

“I jus’ wanna see you safely to your room.”

“Are you kidding me? There is no way you’re coming anywhere NEAR my room. You’re not a gentleman so stop pretending to be one. It’s not going to get you anywhere with me.”

“I bloody well am if you’d get off your high-horse long `nough to let me.” He was going to give her a chance to come home with him. He knew she wanted to, so why was she being such a bitch?

“You know what... goodbye, Spike.” She walked away. She’d had enough and now that they were alone, she could say and do whatever she wanted and what she wanted was to put as much distance between them as possible.

“Summers,” he yelled out to her. “Damnit, ’m talkin’ to you, come back!”

“Go home, Spike.” She replied without ever turning around.

“Summers!!!” He tried one more time and started moving forward, but with crutches and a bum toe, there was no way he’d catch up to her. She walked off, left him, dismissed him as if she outranked him and all he could do was watch. Watch and fume over the fact he had nothing but his hand to keep him company tonight.

~~~~~~~~

Two and a half weeks later...

Spike found it incredibly hard to stay away from either the MEDDAC’s barracks or the clinic itself now that he knew where Buffy lived and worked, but what choice did he have? He certainly wasn’t going to stalk her, but with each passing day he was becoming increasingly anxious to see her again. She’d become his obsession, plaguing his waking thoughts and fantasies in a way that no amount of porn and self-abuse to his manhood could alleviate. He knew she wanted him and no amount of barbed comments or lame attempts at lying about their one time together, that it wasn’t as good for her as it was for him was going to convince him otherwise. She was there... with him, he’d made sure of that so what was her problem? Just shy of tying her down, which was also a delicious thought, if he could just get her into his bed... just one more time, he would make sure she’d never want to leave.

It was a late Saturday afternoon as he sat on the couch in his tiny apartment, staring blankly at the TV while these thoughts ran through his head. Was there a way he could conveniently place himself in her path without making it obvious? Should he try some other method of verbal persuasion with her when they next spoke? ERGHH!!! What did she want from him? If he knew, if only she’d tell him then it was as good as done. Anything to end the sexual frustration he faced everyday. Maybe he should set something up, some kind of ambush. Was that what she wanted? To be cornered and kissed breathless? God knows he wouldn’t mind. He definitely preferred playing the dominant role when it came to sex and knew she hadn’t minded one bit being made submissive to his talents. ARGHH!!! Whatever she wanted, whatever it took, she would be his again, and again, and again, and...

Ring... ring...

Picking the phone up, he never would have guessed that the person on the other end would be Oz, who called about getting together for a drink in about a week after he arrived at FT Crumb. He was being assigned to none other than Buffy’s unit and would be working at the clinic. With Oz working at the clinic, he just might be afforded more opportunities to ‘accidentally’ run into Buffy every now and then. Yes, it seemed things were looking up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three weeks later

Now back to working days, Buffy left the ER around noon to go to lunch. Willow and Faith were still busy at the moment and couldn’t leave until later, so she drove herself down the food court inside the mini-like mall right on post. Grabbing some food, she settled down at a small table, pulled out the current novel she was into and read in between bites... until a sudden noise made her jump.

“Didn’ mean to scare you, Summers.” Spike smiled at the pretty scowl she immediately threw him after he slammed his tray down on her table.

Ever since Oz told him that Buffy sometimes liked to come here for lunch, he’d shown up every day, just watching and waiting for her. Yes, he’d gone to have drinks with Oz, and felt a tad guilty for not being completely honest with him about the reasons behind wanting to know more about Buffy. All he said was that he felt bad about how he’d treated her and hoped that one day he might apologize to her if he ‘just happened’ to run into her. Oz suggested he just show up at the clinic but he shot down the idea and said it wasn’t appropriate to disturb her while she was working.

“Why are sitting with me when there are plenty of other tables available?” she asked exasperatedly. This man certainly had a way of ruining a perfectly good day.

“Wanted to sit with the prettiest girl here.” Kill her with kindness. It was certainly worth a shot, right? Something had to bring her around to his way of thinking so they could move past, well, ‘the past’ and back into bed.

“Whatever. Just don’t talk to me.” Instinct told her he wasn’t going to go away and if she tried to sit somewhere else, he’d probably follow her.

“Is that all you’re goin’ to eat?” He watched her take a small bite of the chicken salad in front of her.

She looked up at him and spoke sternly. “I SAID... don’t talk to me.” She brought her book level with her face, effectively blocking him from seeing her. Take a hint.

“You need more than rabbit food before you lose any more weight.”

“What part of don’t talk to me do you not understand?” She still held her book in place. He was trying to engage her in conversation and she wasn’t going to let him con her into it.

He took half of the foot long sub from his plate and placed it on her tray. “Here.”

She peered around her book and became enraged when she saw what he’d done. Slamming her book down on the table, she picked the sub off her plate and all but threw it back on his tray. “We are NOT in Basic Training anymore so keep your fucking food on your own plate.”

He questioned how wrong it was that as soon as she got angry, his cock began to swell within his pants. Instead of coming back at her with the usual snide remark, he did his best to remain calm and catered to the feminine side of her that might swoon over his concern for her well being.

She stabbed at her salad, crunching down on the bite while fixing him with an icy stare.

“Jus’ thought you looked better, healthier when you had more, uhmm... junk in your trunk as Gunn would put it.”

She rolled her eyes. “First of all, I haven’t lost that much weight since Basic. I used to weigh ninety five pounds until you packed thirty on me and I currently weigh a hundred and eight. I don’ need you to worry about my weight, what I need you to do is to go away and leave me alone.”

His jaw twitched in response to her snobbery. This was not supposed to happen. She was supposed to take his comment at face value and be nice back to him, not act like he was beneath her.

For the next ten minutes there was nothing but silence as he kept his eyes trained on her. She wouldn’t talk to him, look at him or even acknowledge he was there. As the minutes wore on he became more desperate.

“What’s it gonna take with you?” Maybe she wouldn’t tell him unless he asked and at this point, he’d had enough.

“Excuse me? What are you talking about?” She set her book down and waited for his answer while tapping her fingers on the table-top impatiently.

“What do I have to do?” He made sure he phrased it like an honest question, keeping any sign of his own irritation out of it while shrugging his shoulders.

“And again with the what are you talking about, because if you’re implying what I THINK you are... it’s never going to happen... again.”

“How `bout a kiss?” He loved the taste of her kisses and knew if he could have but one, that one would surely turn into two then three and from there escalate into more until she inevitable fell freely into his bed.

“Are you MAD?!?! So NOT going to happen.” The nerve, as if.

“Jus’ a kiss. An innocent kiss.”

“There is nothing remotely innocent about you,” she accused.

“One kiss. Tha’s all I ask.”

“No.”

“Please?” He pouted. “Tell me. What’ll it cost to let me kiss you?”

“No.”

“Come on,” he deepened his pout.

“No.” Stupid sexy pout. She couldn’t allow herself to fall for it, nope.

“Are you scared?”

“NO!!!” Give up already!

“I think you’re scared of me.”

“I so am not,” she cried indignantly. How dare he. He knew she wasn’t scared of him or those amazing kisses and oh-GOD, don’t go there, Buffy.

“Yes, you are. You’re afraid if I kiss you, you’re gonna want me again.” He quirked an eyebrow at her.

“I stopped being scared of you a long time ago AND... you’re wrong.”

“So, if you’re not scared, then tell me.” He lips curled into a sly smile. “Wha’s it gonna take?” Perhaps using her anger against her would get him what he wanted. She was the type of girl that wouldn’t back down and he loved her for it.

The man was not only impossible but insane as well. Her mind quickly searched for an answer, anything at all, something she was sure he would never do.

“You want to give me a kiss?” He nodded. “Hmmmm, and I can name... any price I want?”

“Any price.” He spoke seductively. Finally. He was finally being given the break he needed.

“Let’s see.” She reached across the table as an idea sprang to mind. She opened the second half of his sub and pulled the mayonnaise covered slice of cheese from it and held it up.

Oh bloody hell, she’s not really going to... Yup, she smiled brightly and allowed it to drop on the floor.

“Eat it.” He’ll never do it, not in a million... oh no!

As far as he was concerned, the promise of a kiss was worth licking the bottom of her size six combat boot. He smiled at her, bent over to pick the slimy yellow substance up and promptly stuffed it in his mouth, chewing away while trying to smile at the same time.

Ewwwwwwwwww, he actually did it. I am so screwed!

“I believe you owe me a kiss now, Summers. Not goin’ to hold out on me are you?”

“Ahhhh, ah-ah...” She sighed in defeat. “Fine. One kiss and then you go your way and I’ll go mine.” He leaned across the table, making as if to kiss her now until she effectively stopped him by holding up her hand.

“We’re in uniform. No PDA, remember?” He looked at her confused. “Public Display of Affection? Government regulation clearly states no PDA while in uniform?” Good, she thought as he sat back in his chair. At least he hadn’t lost his mind completely.

“Come with me right now and sit in my car then. Once we’re inside, there’s nothin’ stoppin’ us.” There was more than one way to skin a cat, and he loved the sharp claws his kitten had.

“I’m thinking not because you just ate cheese off the floor and your lips aren’t coming anywhere near mine until you’ve brushed your teeth.” Even if he was an amazing kisser, that was too much to ask.

“A deal’s a deal, Summers.” His tone dropped in a threatening manner. If she didn’t hold up her end of this little bargain, she would find herself up against a wall with no choice but to kiss him back.

“You’re right.” She nodded. “But you’ll have to catch me some other time, preferably after you’ve cleaned up that dirty mouth of yours.” Much to her surprise, he hadn’t made any of his usual crude statements. She wasn’t sure whether she was relieved or unnerved by it. Something wasn’t right, that much she could tell and it put her self-defense on high alert.

“You’re a bloody tease. You know that, Summers?” He shook his head, disappointment overcoming his short lived victory.

“What?” she asked innocently. “I’ll keep my end of the bargain, just not today.”

“When can I expect to collect then?” She bloody well better give him a time.

“We work on the same post, I’m sure we’ll bump into each other just like we did today.” Hey, it was true.

“No,” he shook his head. “If not today then I want some kind of guarantee.”

“My word isn’t good enough?” Figures. She couldn’t blame him since she did have every intention of getting out of this entirely.

“Nope. I want collateral.” He simply couldn’t let her walk away without something. If he had to follow her to her car in order to obtain it then that’s what he’d do. “Give me your Government ID.” She’d have to get that back from him. There was no way she could do anything on post without it.

“Don’t be ridiculous. You know I can’t do that.” Looks like she was wrong after all... he was insane. A soldier’s military issued ID was never to be anywhere but on their person at all times. She could easily be written up for it.

“Better think of somethin’, pet.”

“Fine!” If that’s what it took to make him go away then fine. Reaching for her neck, she pulled her dog tags over her head and held them out. “Take them.” She crossed her arms over her chest after he took them. “Happy now?”

Victory at last. “When and where?” She looked confused. “So we can make the trade?” His erection turned painful as he awaited her answer. Picking her tray up after she stood, she curiously gave him a triumphant smile of her own.

“Unlike my ID...” she winked at him. “I can get those replaced with little more than a verbal reprimand.” God it took everything she had to walk away and not laugh at the utter shock on his face.

She was right and he was stunned... truly stunned. He watched her retreating form and with all his will, bit back his frustration. He wanted to follow her out into the parking lot but restrained himself in lieu of a new goal that sprang to mind. He wasn’t sure how... but someday, somewhere, somehow... she would let him give her that kiss and it didn’t matter how long he had to wait for that moment. She would pay up and when she did, when it finally led to them to his bedroom where he wanted her... he’d never allow her out of his bed without his express permission.


A/N: Not to worry, Spike will not go all stalkerish on Buffy. I hope everyone enjoyed and that you all have a great week. Hugs and kisses.