Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, I surprised myself by completing another chapter much sooner than expected and a lot of that is in part due to Beasleysmom help – you rock woman. It’s much shorter than last because of the length I suspect the next chapter will turn into. Fun, laughs and some seriousness for a slight change that needs to take place is what you’ll get here in chapter 9. A side note/question to the readers... do you know what the official Army slogan is whenever they advertise? Most do, but if not, you may want to look it up before reading, *winks*. You’ll understand when you get there, trust me. Thank you Dusty273, Beasleysmom and Karbear57, smooches. Please read the ending author’s note before reviewing, some very important information/explanations is contained there that I couldn’t place here without giving spoilers away. Thanks. Grab your favorite drink and relax while you read, I hope everyone enjoys.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




The following Saturday

Spike had been wandering around the mall for about an hour, making small purchases here and there when, as most men do, he glanced into the storefront window of Victoria’s Secret only to see a vision that instantly had him hard. Lo and behold there she was. Towards the far right hand wall stood Buffy, holding a bra in each hand, looking from one to the other as if trying to decide which color to buy. Of course this was too good an opportunity to pass up so he headed in and snuck up behind her.

“Why waste money on either when you don’ bother to wear a bra anyway?”

She whipped around to face the infuriating smirk that went along with the familiar British accent.

“For your information I do wear bras most of the time, so you can wipe that stupid smile off your face and go away.” She turned back around, trying to ignore how good he smelled and how hot he looked. Unlike the night at the NCO club, he wore faded blue denim, a dark blue sweater with his trademark black leather duster and a more civilian style of combat boots. She instantly became nervous at his nearness when he stepped up beside her and pointed to one of the brasseries she held.

“Definitely the green one. It goes with your eyes.” He chuckled when she put it back just because he’d said that and threw the pink instead into her little basket before stomping off. So defiant. He followed her, but stopped at a rack of sexy nightwear to pull out a lacy see-through baby-doll nightgown. “I rather fancy this.” He held it on front of her. “What do you think, pet?”

“I think it’s a good thing I don’t care what you like. And stop calling me pet.” She snatched it out of his hand, held it up to inspect along with the tag then shoved it into his chest. “Besides... eighty five dollars? I don’t think so.” She shook her head.

“`F the price is all you’re worried `bout, I’ll buy it.” She looked so adorable the way she turned to prop one hand on her hip and smiled sweetly during her retort.

“I’m sure you’ll look lovely in it though I admit I never took you for a cross-dresser.” He opened his mouth but she held up her hand. “Look, go back to whatever hell dimension you were spawned from and leave me be, okay?”

“And miss the chance to watch you shop for lacey bits? Uh-uh. I think I’ll stay. See what kind of knickers you like to wear.” He reached into her basket and was able to grab something out before she pulled it away. “Well, well, well.” He held a pink silk thong high in the air while she jumped up to try and take it back. “`S nice, pet. Much nicer than those granny panties from Basic,” he purred.

“Damnit, Spike! Give it back.” She tried jumping higher but he continued to tease her, dangling them low then high every time while smirking at her attempts.

“How `bout you model that li’l red number for me in the dressin’ room first, then I’ll give ‘em back?” That made her stop.

“You can add that to your list of things that’s never going to happen. I’m outta here.” She stormed off towards the check out, ignoring him when he called her name. Setting her things on the counter she did her best to put on a smile for the cashier’s sake as she rang up her merchandise when Spike came to stand beside her.

“You forgot these, sweetheart.” He placed the underwear on top of the small pile along with the red nightgown he’d been teasing her about then placed an arm around her shoulders like they were a couple and kissed her cheek.

“NO!” The young girl behind the counter jumped after picking it up to scan. “I mean, no, DEAR!” She pushed his arm off her, picked up the scrap of material and shoved it into his hands. “I told you. It’s the wrong size.” She ground the words out and turned back to address the girl. “That will be all, thank you.”

“I think I know your size by now. Go ahead.” He nodded at the cashier who picked it up hesitantly.

“And I SAID,” she snatched it right out of the girl’s hand and set it further down the counter. “It’s the wrong... size... DEAR!”

“I-I’ll just set this aside.” The poor girl didn’t know what to do at this point but it was obvious these two were having a squabble about something unrelated to lingerie.

Buffy paid for her things, spun around and left the store as fast as she could, hoping to lose herself in the crowd of shoppers before Spike could catch up to her. And for a few blissful minutes, she really thought she’d lost him... until he sat down next to her on the bench near the entrance of the mall.

“Why do you insist on following me?”

“I thought it was obvious.”

“I hate you.”

“I hate you too, Summers, but why let that li’l emotion come between us now?”

“I’m leaving.” She went to get up but sat right back down as soon he stated the obvious.

“I’ll jus’ follow you, pet, so why run?”

“Did your military training include Special Ops in Stalking? Because you’re seriously bordering on harassment here.”

“Even if you hid from me,” he tapped his nose twice. “I could track your scent from a mile away.”

“God! Why don't you just club me over the head and drag me by my hair to your cave and get it over with?”

“`S that an invitation, luv?”

She sighed, crossed her arms and turned away from him.

“Awwww, you goin’ to ignore me now?”

“I’m waiting for someone to show up so would you PLEASE... go away.” It wasn’t true but if it worked then it was worth lying about.

“Really?” It surprised him a moment before he became suspicious. “Who?” Better not be a guy, he thought.

“None of your business.”

“Anyone I know?”

She ignored him.

“`S not like I care, so you might as well say.” It was killing him that she wouldn’t speak and he became more jealous by the second wondering if it might just be another man.

She still wouldn’t respond.

“Why can’ you at least talk to me?” He pouted.

“Hmmm, let’s examine the long list of reasons shall we?” She looked him dead in the eyes, ignored how handsome he looked and used the opportunity to remind herself of all the reasons why she wasn’t kissing the gorgeous bottom lip that was sticking out at her right now, teasing her, taunting her. “Maybe because nothing nice ever seems to come out of your mouth? And-I-hate-you. Because you’ve been nothing but an ass to me since the day we met and it hasn’t changed? And-I-hate-you. Because you act like it would be some sort of honor for me to sleep with you again. And-I-hate-you. You’re self-centered, egotistical, cocky, arrogant and oh, did I mention because I hate you?”

“Four times now, pet. `S not like I’m draggin’ you through the mud anymore. Tha’s in the past so wha’s your problem?”

“Don’t act like you wouldn’t if you had the chance because you would in a heartbeat. And MY problem? My problem is that I’m not the type to repeat mistakes. And sleeping with you was a mistake. YOU’RE the one who has a problem with it, not me.”

“Why do you have to be such a bitch?” She had a point... not that it was a mistake, but if they’d never done it he wouldn’t be chasing after her right now and all but begging to be with her again.

“You seem to bring it out in me. That’s the power of your charms. Let me ask you something. If all it’s going to take for you to leave me alone is to let you use me again, then would you? Can we go somewhere right now and just get it over with? Because apparently all I am to you is a piece of ass.”

“Buffy...” That wasn’t true and how was it this conversation was going in such an ugly direction all of a sudden? It was making him uncomfortable to think that’s what she believed... that she was nothing but a piece of ass to him. “I never said...” she interrupted him.

“Let me give you some advice. As hard as it is for you to believe, being nice to a girl will get you farther than acting like-like... well, YOU!”

“Oi! `M nice.”

“The only time I ever saw you act nice was towards Gunn’s children. If you carried that kind of behavior over into how you treat women you just might get laid one of these days.”

“`F you wanted to sit on my lap and call me Uncle, Summers, then why didn’ you just say so? Of course I’d much prefer you call me Daddy.” He waggled both eyebrows at her; trying to get the conversation steered back towards their typical banter and away from the seriousness she was now treating the situation with.

“Erghhh! See? This is what I mean. I’m sure there are plenty of other women around who might fall for your style of courting, but not me. If all you’re looking for is to get laid then why don’t you try her,” she pointed at a pretty girl who was leaving the mall. “Or her,” she pointed at another who was coming in.

“Don’ want anyone else. I want you.”

“Lucky me,” she muttered under her breath.

“What was that?”

“You’ve already had me,” she cried, throwing her hands in the air. “So why?!?!” She waited but he didn’t answer. He just sat there with a bewildered look on his face.

That really was a good question. One to which he didn’t have an answer, didn’t want to find an answer, wasn’t sure he could find an answer if he tried. As far as he was concerned, he didn’t need an answer, all he knew is that he wanted her... and only her.

“You can’t answer can you? Well, I’ll tell you why. For whatever twisted reason, you JUST... DO! And once you’ve had me, you’ll toss me aside like trash and I’m not trash.”

She got up and went to sit on a bench on the opposite side of the entranceway.

“Come on Buffy, don’ be like this.” He was right on her heels, sitting down next to her even closer than before. From the way she moved to the way she looked and smelled, everything she did, every dirty look she gave him, every razor-sharp comment she made turned him on. He never once thought of her as trash and it hurt just a little bit to think that’s how she thought he felt about her.

“Don’t be like what?”

“You want it jus’ as bad as I do.”

“You seriously need to get over yourself. You’re not the only good looking guy on the planet.” His persistence was unnerving and his close proximity had her body humming, reminding her it would be so much nicer if she just gave in to its desire so he could make it feel as good as he had months ago. Damnit! “Unlike you, I can suppress my hormones. If I get horny I take care of myself, I don’t need a man.”

“Ah-ha, so you admit you want to sleep with me again? Now we’re gettin’ somewhere.” He leaned close to her ear and whispered. “Tha’s quite a tantalizin’ image you’ve given me, pet. Can I watch you masturbate?” He purred seductively. “Maybe... lend an extra hand or two?”

“Sorry.” She inched away from him and pointed both index fingers at herself. “This is an Army of one.”

He chuckled. She was a spitfire alright. He’d never get enough of her, he knew that now.

“If I wanted to get laid it wouldn’t be you plus I’m not looking for a relationship. So what EXACTLY is it that you want?”

“`M not lookin’ for a relationship either.”

“Ohhh, I get it now.” She leaned back and smiled confidently. “You wanna be fuck-buddies.”

“All I’ve asked you for recently is a kiss, tha’s all.” Actually, that wasn’t a bad idea at all, but he knew that would piss her off if he said yes, so he steered her in yet a different direction and focused on getting the one thing she owed him first. If he could get that, the rest would inevitably fall into place.

“Is that what all this is about? A stupid kiss? What are you... twelve?”

“Oi! I ate dirty cheese to get that kiss. I deserve it, hell, I earned it. I think you should honor your end of the deal.”

“No wonder your ex-wives left you.” Oh, shit!!! She’d forgotten what Gunn had told her about his ex’s and instantly regretted it as the expression that crossed his features could only be described as wounded. Those gorgeous blue eyes filled with hurt and sadness, making her realize she’d crossed a line, punched through his tough exterior to a very vulnerable spot in his heart.

He stood and shook her words off as best he could. “Fuck you. I was the faithful one.”

In her anger, she’d opened her big mouth before recalling that Gunn already told her why Spike had divorced in the first place. She knew all too well how he’d felt because she’d felt the same way after Angel had cheated on her... devastated. No matter how Spike had treated her, he didn’t deserve the heartless statement she’d thrown him. Well, she finally got what she wanted... he left her alone. What kept her from chasing after him right now to apologize was that he may not be willing to listen, let alone forgive her... and he shouldn’t.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Six o’clock that same evening

After hearing the words ‘come in’, Oz entered Spike’s apartment with a twelve pack in hand, wearing a smile that quickly faded when he took in the sight of his friend. Spike sat on his couch in jeans and a white tank top, dog tags hanging out, hair disheveled, socked feet propped on the coffee table which had ten empty beer bottles all lined up in a neat row.

“Starting a bit early, aren’t we?” He opened the cardboard container, pulled out a beer and handed it over to his waiting hand. He studied his appearance a bit closer then watched in mild amusement as Spike cracked the top, tipped the bottle to his lips, chugged half its contents before pulling back to wipe the dribble off his chin and burp loudly. “I’ll take that as a yes.” Walking into the kitchen, he pulled a beer out for himself and placed the rest in the fridge before returning to sit across from his drunken buddy.

“Soooo. What, or rather WHO has you drinking so hard?”

“You’re single right, mate?”

“As far as everyone knows.”

“Good on you. Stay away from women, they’re,” he waved a hand in the air. “Nothin’ but trouble.”

“She got a name?” He stifled the urge to call him out on who he knew it had to be and waited to see how much he’d open up on his own.

Spike paid no attention to anything Oz said and went on a drunken rant. “Been married twice m’self. Bloody faithful to both of `em. Gave those bitches everythin’ they ever wanted and the minute I go to work, or the field or,” he hiccupped. “War... they spread their legs for the next bloke that comes along.”

“Not every woman is like that, Spike. Two bad marriages is enough to put a bad taste in anyone’s mouth but there are plenty of women out there just like yourself.”

“Well, `f you meet any, send `em my way.” He knew Buffy was probably the faithful type, but apparently she’d found out from someone he’d been married before and had the impression it was somehow his fault for divorcing. Stupid bint. Who needs her anyway with her stupid hair and funny lookin’ nose and soft skin, perfect breasts and...

“Stick to dating soldiers. Nobody understands a soldier’s life better than another soldier.”

“Have anyone in mind?” He had someone in mind if she didn’t hate him so much that, however unknowingly, had hurt him worse than either Dru or Cecily had.

“Matter of fact I think you already do.” He pointed at Spike’s chest.

“Say again?”

Again, Oz pointed at his chest.

“Out with it.” He watched Oz get up and walk over to him.

He picked up both sets of dog tags Spike wore and held them in front of his face.

“Bloody hell!” He snatched them back, completely irritated with himself for being so stupid.

Gunn knocked on Spike’s door but didn’t bother waiting for an answer before walking right in. “Hey men, wha...” he saw Spike scowling while Oz stood there laughing his ass off. “What’s going on here?”

Oz addressed Spike in between breaths. “If you don’t tell him I will.”

“Tell me what?” Spike didn’t say a word, he just sat there, scowl deepening.

“Seems our good friend Spike is sporting Private Summers’ dog tags close to his heart and apparently had a lover’s spat recently.”

At this, Gunn raised his eyebrows in surprise then smiled. “Did you kick it with Summers?”

“Kick it?” Spike asked confused.

“Yeah, you know... hittin’ skins, knockin’ boots...tappin’ that ass?”

“Jus’ once.” What the hell, the cat was already out of the bag now anyway.

Gunn’s eyes went wide as he realized something. “I’ll be damned. THAT’S where all the glass in my pictures went.”

“What?” It was Oz’s turn to look confused.

“You and she...” he paused. “On graduation day in our old office. Didn’t you?” It was an accusation rather than a question. “You dirty dog you.”

Spike went back to scowling. “Don’ touch it, mate.”

“Oh man,” now he was laughing just as hard as Oz was. “You do realize you got it bad, right?”

“I bloody well do not. She’s a bitch and we’re not... together.”

“Then why are you wearing her dog tags?” Gunn asked, prompting Oz to turn serious.

“Yeah, why ARE you wearing her dog tags?”

“We had a deal and I’m holdin’ `em as collateral.”

“AND?” both asked in unison.

“She’s s’pose to ... to-let-me-kiss-her.” Good God he felt like a git as it flew quickly out of his mouth, hoping they didn’t actually hear it. It sounded just as childish as it probably was.

“You’re holding her dog tags hostage for a KISS? Brother... you are so damn tired.” Gunn chuckled and shook his head.

“Hey! Wha’s that s’pose to mean?”

“What he means is that you’ve fallen for her,” Oz explained.

Spike took another swig off his beer. “You know the last thing `m lookin’ for is a relationship. Don’ ever want to be love’s bitch again.”

Gunn sat down and took the beer Oz handed him and turned serious. “Look man, you know you two are my peeps and we’ve always,” he gestured between himself and Spike. “Been real with each other, we’re amigos, no, more than that hermanos del alma here, so let me set you straight on something. Buffy is a good girl. One HELLAVU woman if not THE perfect woman for you. If anyone has EVER been able to put your ass in check it’s her. But if you’re not already involved with her AND you’re looking to her for the occasional booty call,” he shook his head in disapproval. “She ain’t your girl. You’re better off looking somewhere else.”

“Man’s got a point. Now that I’ve been working with her for awhile, I can vouch for that. She’s not that kind of girl.”

“Ahhhh,” Gunn held up a finger and turned to Oz to share his revelation from weeks ago. “It’s also the very reason why our friend wants her. Because she IS exactly like him.”

“`M not in love and stop talkin’ as if `m not sittin’ here.” Now he was irritated. “I jus’ got... got physical needs `s all and-and... we were good together... that way.” Why the hell was he defending himself? No way was he in love. Infatuated, yes, but in love? No. Even if it were true, she hated him... had made that fact repeatedly clear.

Oz piped up. “Whatever happened between you two, whatever it is she said or did must have been pretty bad.”

“Mmm-hmm. And the Spike I know hasn’t been this drunk over a woman since his last divorce.”

“`F you two don’ drop the subject,” he waggled an angry intoxicated finger at them both. Enough was enough.

“Okay, okay.” Gunn looked to Oz who nodded and confirmed.

“Dropped.”

As the evening progressed, one thing became clear as Gunn and Oz picked up discussing their shared opinion on the ‘Buffy issue’ Spike was having... long after their friend had passed out, naturally. That if he was ever going to be happy, and it was agreed that Buffy could potentially make him happy, they would simply have to work together to somehow make them both see past their inborn stubbornness. How, was the mystery.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two and a half weeks later... on a Monday.

Oz was taking care of some paperwork when he came across a formal memorandum of request. Apparently Gunn and Spike’s unit was going on a very specialized, one week training mission and they were short on medics. The request was that MEDDAC assign two of their soldiers from any department where they were able to release them to accompany the unit into the field for that week. Noticing Gunn’s name was the point of contact at the bottom of the paper made it clear why he’d received the memorandum in the first place... because he was in charge of all the medics working in the department he now ran... the one Buffy was presently on rotation in. He picked up his phone and immediately dialed Gunn’s work number.

“I hear you’re in need of two medics?” he asked as soon as Gunn picked up. “It just so happens I have at least one soldier in particular who could be released from her current scheduled duties to accompany your unit this upcoming Friday... if you’re interested?” He chuckled as he listened to Gunn go on about how he’d been expecting him to call. “No problem. Got it covered BUT, it’s up to you from there to get them talking again.... if you say so... okay then, I’ll type up the paperwork and talk to you later.” Hitting the receiver, he quickly dialed another number and asked to have Private Summers paged to come to his office so he could inform her where she’d be reporting to after he gave her a couple, unexpected days off to prepare for her new mission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Early Friday morning.

Buffy had absolutely no idea that this was Spike’s unit until Gunn approached her right before she stepped into the M-997 military version ambulance, readying to drive the huge metal beast in a convoy out to no-man’s land for this latest mission.

“Charl... I mean, Sergeant Gunn. I didn’t know this was your unit.” He shook her hand and leaned forward to embrace her for a more manly style slap on the back rather than his usual hug.

“Yup. It’s gonna be fun, too. There’ll be plenty of injuries for you to mend on this one. We’re playing some heavy duty war games this week.”

“If it’s blood and guts, I’m your gal.” She smiled while in the back of her mind she worried over whether or not she’d run into Spike. She hadn’t seen him since that day in the mall and truthfully? She should be thankful he was finally leaving her alone but deep down, she still felt awful over what she’d said.

“Yup. This week is in preparation for the next field exercise we’re scheduled for in two weeks. Gonna be gone a month and a half for that one. Well, anyway, you should say hi to Spike.” He pointed a thumb over his shoulder. “He’s over there.” Take the bait, girl... come on.

“I’m sure I’ll see him out there. Right now we’re ready to roll.” She pointed towards their company commander who was using the ‘round-up’ signal to anyone who wasn’t already inside their tactical vehicles.

“Right. Well, catchya later then.”

She giggled as he saluted her and trotted off before turning to Faith who sat in the passenger side.

“You ready, B?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” She was glad Faith hadn’t said anything more. After returning from the mall the day Spike stormed off, she’d told her and Willow what she’d said to him and they both agreed she needed to make things right, that no matter how he’d acted towards her he didn’t deserve what she’d said to him. Yeah, gotta make things right, she thought. First chance she could.

Meanwhile...

Gunn informed Spike that Buffy was one of their ‘borrowed’ medics along for the exercise. His first thought was to go find her but he very quickly nixed the idea. Though he couldn’t rightfully harbor any malice towards her over what she’d said because, after all, she knew nothing about his two failed marriages other than the fact they failed, he couldn’t bring himself to chase her anymore either. He still wanted her... more than anything, but felt sure she truly did hate him. He still had yet to get her out of his head and his fantasies and finding out she was spending the week out here with his unit definitely wasn’t going to help.

As the convoy started off, he recalled the conversation he’d held with Gunn and Oz on the day she’d hurt him and then how he’d struggled with what they’d said the next day over one of the worst hangovers he’d experienced since his discovery that Cecily was having an affair.

“... Buffy.”

“What?” Spike was so distracted he didn’t hear anything Gunn said other than mentioning her name. “That cold bitch?”

“Come on, man. That’s just wrong.” he reached over and pulled the double set of dog tags from under his shirt. “You two need to make up and this week is the perfect opportunity to do just that.”

Spike angrily snatched them back and dropped them under his shirt. “`M not bloody well goin’ anywhere near her.” He watched Gunn smile as if he was up to something.

“I bet,” he smiled mischievously. “That by the end of the week, you two will have made up.”

“Not gonna happen, mate.”

“Alright, alright, it’s all good.”

“What are you gettin’ at?”

“I’m just saying all’s fair in love and war.” He turned as if no longer interested in continuing the conversation.

“Out with it.” He knew when his friend wanted to gamble.

“A bet.”

“A bet?”

“Yup. I bet that by the end of the week you two will have made up and will at least be on talking terms.”

“Wha’s the wager?” He sighed. This’ll be an easy win.

“If I win, you have to bleach your hair. Well, the top of it anyway.”

“And if I win?”

“I’ll bleach mine.” Spike threw him a look. “Err, I’ll grow mine. I’ll take two week’s leave and grow a fro as big as Buckwheat.” He made the little rascal’s symbol with his hand and winked. “Otay?”

“Fred better not get mad at me over your new look,” he smirked. It wouldn’t be hard avoiding Buffy. This week was jam-packed with hours upon hours of serious training. Even if he did run into her, there wouldn’t be time past a simple ‘hello’ let alone make up with the chit. What he didn’t know was that Gunn purposefully assigned Buffy’s medical team to their platoon, ensuring they would at least be within close proximity of each other.


A/N: For those that aren’t aware, just a tasty tidbit of information on the Army slogan. The ‘One’ in ‘An Army of One’ is an acronym for Officers, NCO’s and Enlisted. Don’t be too mad with Buffy, she got upset and said something out of anger, realized her mistake as soon as she’d made it and Spike has no idea that Gunn discussed his marriages with her when she landed in the ER during basic. Also, because of the rules and regulations governing haircuts and length of hair on males in the military, Spike has, for now *winks*, his normal sandy blonde hair and the maximum allowed length on the top of his head so that it appears naturally wavy but close to his head. Bleaching his hair would actually be in violation of AR 670-1, yes, you military guys/gals out there remember that reg. all too well *giggles*, BUT, he may or may not necessarily get in trouble. Lots of folks in the military do weird things to their hair and as long as it’s not distracting, like dying it pink or blue, then most superiors don’t bother making an issue out of it – it depends on how anal one’s chain of command is. I painted my nails once in complete nato pattern colors to match my BDU’s perfectly. Everyone loved it but unfortunately, my platoon Sergeant didn’t find it amusing when he questioned me as to what I was thinking and I replied I was going for complete coverage for our next FTX – tee hee. Have a fabulous weekend.