Author's Chapter Notes:
Here is another chapter for you, Not too sure about it so any feedback would be great, I am also looking for a beta so let me know if anyone is interested.
“Spike can you do me a huge favor? I’m stuck in this meeting till late like sunrise late. I’m supposed to be meeting Buffy at Tetusya’s at 8pm to celebrate getting her job today. Can you meet her there for me? For some reason her cell is turned off.”

Crap.

Spike slammed his phone shut and looked at his watch. It was already seven. He couldn’t call Buffy because he knew the reason why her phone was turned off. He had tried to call her all afternoon just to make sure she was ok and after the sixth hang up she had turned the phone off.

“Cordy,” he called through the intercom.

“I’m not here.”

“Which is why I can hear your voice so clearly. I need you to call Mike. I need to tickets.”

“To anything in particular?” she asked.

“Whatever is popular and has seats for tonight.” Spike rose from his chair and gathered his things and left the office.

“Call me when you have the details,” he said as he walked out leaving a frazzled and annoyed Cordy in his wake.

*****

Buffy loved her brother. He was strong, dependable, and always there when she needed him…eventually. Cause really, the guy couldn’t be on time to save his life.

“Another drink, miss?” The waiter asked as he took her fourth empty glass from the table.

“Yes please. I’m celebrating,” The first two drinks had been to forget about the fight. The next two were to celebrate her new job and this one well, why not?

“Yes I believe you told me that two drinks ago. Would you like some bread before you start?”

“No my brother should be here any minute. We’re celebrating my new job,” Buffy practically bounced in her chair.

“Ok then,” the waiter started to walk off before he was stopped by Spike.

“I will also have a scotch on the rocks,”

“Oh no you won’t. He is not with me. In fact he is not even here, he’s leaving. Right now.” Buffy crossed her arms over her chest.

“And I think it will be the last one for the lady too,” Spike told the waiter as he sat down.

“Don’t tell me what to do, I’m not a little kid,” Spike could have sworn he saw her start to poke out her tongue at him.

“Angel rang. Looks like his meeting might be an all-nighter and since your phone was turned off…”

“Gee I wonder why that was?” Buffy asked, raising an eyebrow in his direction.

“Look Buffy, I don’t know how things got so out of hand today.”

“Really? You don’t know how things got out of hand? I’ll tell you how it got out of hand. You and I spent more than three minutes together. That’s how it got out of hand,”

“Yeah we seem to have that effect on each other. I don’t mean to,” She looked up and into his eyes, seeing the truth of his words.

“Yet somehow you do, I mean we both do, whatever. Look, let’s go. I don’t feel like celebrating anymore.” Buffy went to grab her bag when she felt Spike’s hand on her arm.

“No let’s not leave. What you have done today all on your own. Getting a job is a great achievement, one that deserves to be celebrated. I know I’m a poor second to but I would feel like a right pillock if we didn’t have this dinner tonight.”

“Spike I don’t know.” She also didn’t know if it was his hand on her arm that was making her thoughts fuzzy or the four cocktails she already had.

“I won’t even speak unless I am spoken to. I promise I will be good,”

“Okay but just dinner no dessert. The quicker this is over the better,”

****

“Please Spike just one more club please,” Buffy pouted as Spike pulled her out of the 5th nightclub of the night.

Cordy had not been able to wrangle theatre tickets at the last minute but had been able to put their name on the door at some of New York’s finest clubs. He sighed as he looked down at his watch. It was 4am and while Buffy didn’t have to get up at any respectable hour, he did.

“Love, I hate to sound like your mum but it’s getting kinda late for a school night,” he raised his hand to hail a taxi.

“But I don’t wanna,” Spike suddenly felt a warm body wrap itself around him as Buffy’s arms slid around him and she slipped around to face him. “Please Spike don’t you wanna play?”

She was drunk, he knew it. He knew it 3 bars ago and had been trying to slow her consumption but that hadn’t been easy considering the line of guys that were buying her drinks. He looked down at her glazed eyes and knew he couldn’t take advantage.

“Buffy we need to get home,” he grabbed her arms and pulled her away from him but not completely letting go, before he lost his resolve.

“No you need to get home. I don’t start till Monday. I think it’s about time I let my hair down. I might go back to the bar. That guy Parker seemed to be pretty interested,” she tried to twist herself from his grip.

“Interested in what?” Spike demanded. There was no way he was going to let her go alone drunk to some bar to meet up with some random guy.

“Me,” she pouted and it took everything good and noble inside of him not to take that bottom lip and suck it into his own mouth.

“I don’t think so Buffy.” He pulled her back and started to hail a taxi.

“Why? Just because Riley left me doesn’t mean every guy in the world thinks I’m hideous.” He could see the hurt behind her eyes the alcohol unmasking her true emotions.

“Is that what you want? Someone to find you attractive, desirable, wanted?” he was treading on dangerous ground he knew it.

“Yes is that such a bad thing?”

“No I guess not but you don’t need to throw yourself at some random guy to feel that.” He was getting annoyed. All he wanted was to get in the taxi and go home away from the temptation of a drunk lonely Buffy.

“Really?” she asked

He should have been stronger but there was only so much a guy could take. He grabbed her by the arms and kissed her. Kissing her hard enough to show her exactly how desirable she already was and that she didn’t need to prove it. Really that was the only reason.

The honk of the horn broke them from their embrace. Buffy startled as he picked her up and placed her in the taxi.

“Really,” were his only words on the trip back to the apartment.