AN: Here is the next chapter of the newie don't worry i haven't left WSC out in the cold just running with my muse on this one.
Big thanks to Amy and Brat who helped out on this one
Enjoy


Chapter 2

“Spike, I’m stuck in this meeting for at least another two hours. I promised Buff I would pick her up from the airport. I going to need you to do it for me. Her flight lands at 2:30. Thanks man, I owe you one.”

‘You owe me more than one, mate…’ Spike thought to himself as he waited at the arrival gate. Why couldn’t Buffy catch a cab like every other normal person? No, princess Buffy had to have someone pick her up. He felt his frustration—which felt quite similar to nervousness—grow with each passing minute.

Finally the plane pulled into the gate, and shortly after the passengers started to disembark. It had been ten years, almost too many to count, since he had seen her last. Of course he’d seen a picture here and there, but it had been a decade since he’d seen her in the flesh. Ten blissful years of zero face-to-face contact.

Until now.

She emerged from the plane, looking every part the princess. Her hair was longer, and a little blonder, than he remembered. She’d also grown into her figure. But there was something missing. The fire behind her eyes, something that he’d both hated and admired all those years before, had been extinguished. Doused by her broken heart. But even still, she looked like a princess.

“What the hell are you doing here?” Buffy demanded as she stood in front of him with her hands on her hips.

A very stuck up and spoiled princess.

“Angel rang, he got stuck in a merger meeting. Sorry pet, the world doesn’t stop just because you decided to grace us with your presence,” he spat back. Spike turned and made his way to the baggage claim, not bothering to see if she followed.

Oh yes, this was going to be a long two weeks.

****

‘So much for avoiding Spike…’ Buffy thought to herself as she waited by the baggage claim for her bags.

The first thing she’d noticed was that he’d grown up, not that she had expected him not to of course. But now, now he was the very picture of an adult. It was more than that somehow. He’d been twenty when they’d last seen each other. Back then she’d seen glimpses of the man standing behind her, but all the boyish characteristics had seemed to have vanished. The hair was still chemically enhanced, sure it wasn’t the shocking Billy Idol blonde that was his trademark ten years ago, but she could tell he still had a few tips here and there. But the clothes had totally changed. For one, he wasn’t wearing black or leather or any combination of the two. He looked every inch the New York businessman. He was wearing a dark blue suit. The cut looked expensive with a white shirt and a dark purple tie. The purple brought out the blue of his eyes. In all her years she’d never seen another blue quite the same as his eyes. Eyes that were currently glaring at her. She looked away and tried to focus on finding her bags, and getting as far away as she could from Spike.

This was a bad idea. The whole thing was a bad idea. She should have done what everyone told her and take the honeymoon she and Riley were supposed to go on. After all wasn’t that her right as the jilted bride. But she didn’t see the logic in doing that. How was going to Tahiti for ten days and doing all the things alone she was supposed to do with Riley going to make her feel better? As a way of showing her the life that she would have had if her cheating fiancé had not left her at the altar. Although as she turned to see Spike grimacing at her she decided the face of mars would’ve been better than here.

Finally her bag came around. She went to grab it and forgot how heavy it was. She tried to pull it off the carousel again, and still it didn’t budge. On the third attempt another hand came from behind her to pull it off.

“Let me. I haven’t got all day, some of us have work to do pet.”

Buffy’s tears fell freely as Spike lifted her bag off and started making his way towards the car park.

It should have made her feel better, Spike helping her with her bags, but it only served to make her feel worse. Ever since Riley had called the wedding off her emotions had been on some kind of see-saw. One minute she was fine and then the smallest thing, like Spike helping her, set her off. It had no rhyme or reason to it either. Sure you would expect her to lose it at the sight of a wedding dress but not when someone helped her out of the kindness of their…

“I don’t have all day, princess. Unless you want to pay another twenty bucks for parking I suggest you hurry up,”

Heart.

She wiped her tears and followed Spike to his car. She tried to focus on the positives in coming here to New York. Spike aside, she was glad to be here and away from prying eyes and thoughtless questions.

“So, solider boy left you high and dry then?” Spike asked as they made their way to the car.

So much for hoping. She took a deep breath and readied herself for the onslaught of ‘I told you so’s’. Buffy was stunned with what she got instead.

“If you crawl up and die inside he wins. You’re better than that, Buffy. Better than some two timing GI Joe wannabe.” Spike’s voice was firm but sincere and it knocked her for six. She stood rooted to the spot in shock.

“Do I need to repeat the cost of parking, princess? Lets get in the car and go,” Spike yelled over the roar of the engine as he waited for her to get into the car.

And with that Buffy was back to reality.