Chapter 6

“Miss Summers it Kate from Sweet Art wedding cakes just confirming your booking for this weekend. Call me at your earliest convenience,”

“Have you completely lost your mind?” Buffy asked as she shook her hand from his grasp.

“I don’t know, aren’t you women supposed to have some sixth sense when it comes to each other ?” Spike stated as he made his way back to his desk.

Buffy looked around the office. It seemed as though Spike had done well for himself, he even had a window with a view. Sure his ficus plant had seen better days, but overall it was pretty impressive. Seeing him behind the desk all dressed up in a charcoal suit, he looked every inch the powerful businessman, not the annoying pain in the arse she was used to. The walls were lined with various degrees and awards she guessed he had won over the years; well either that or he had been very busy at kinko’s. One picture on the wall caught her eye. It was of Spike and Angel’s graduation day. She remembered it well because her mother had dragged her there under extreme protest. She remembered taking the photo with them and for some unknown reason her mother had made her stand in the middle. And for even more baffling reasons it seemed Spike had kept the photo and hung it up in his office.

“It’s the only photo I have of graduation,” Spike replied reading her baffled expression. “And try as I might I can’t Photoshop you out.”

“Oh okay.” Buffy was surprised at the feeling of hurt his words brought her. “So can you tell me again what the hell I am doing in here?”

“Throwing your brother a bone, god know’s he needs one,” Spike replied as he continued to work at his computer, barely looking up to speak to her.

“He needs what?” Spike had clearly lost his mind.

“A good boning,” he smirked.

It took her a while but then she got it. “ Eww gross much. So my brother and… that women ?”

“Cordy,” he corrected. “They have been crushing on each other for months, it’s like watching paint dry. I swear if it takes any longer I’ll have to lock them in a room and bump their heads together.”

“If you think that’s the way its done Spike then it’s really no surprise you are single,” she mocked.

“And if you knew how it was done you would be walking down the aisle” he checked his watch. “Right about now.”

From the look on her face he knew he’d crossed a line. She said nothing using all her energy to keep from crying. She was just about to storm out on him again. What was it about this women that brought out the worst in him? He could bring her to tears in less than ten seconds.

“Buffy… wait,” he pleaded. She paused, her hand still on the door handle. “I was out of line,” he apologised. When she turned around she was clearly more surprised at his admission of guilt than his harsh outburst. The thought of that alone twisted him inside.

“What Riley did to you was wrong, no question. A real man doesn’t treat a women he loves that way.”

“Like you could do better?” she replied bracing herself for the next round, arms folding over her chest. She took a couple steps toward the desk.

“Please, Kevin Federline could do better than that piece of trash,” he rolled his eyes.

Buffy tried to stop the smile from forming on her lips.

“He was weak Buffy, to cheat is bad enough but to leave a woman such as yourself, well that’s beyond stupid,” he said softly.

The smile on her face faded as was replaced but utter disbelief.

“Sometimes you can’t see what’s right in front of you, no matter how hard you look,” he finished. His voice was cracking with emotion. What was it about this women that sent him ten shades of crazy?

“Maybe he was looking so hard he didn’t see me slip away,” Buffy replied. It was an admission she hadn’t yet been able to voice, but something about the conversation told her it was okay.

“He still could have held onto you, held on and not let go, that’s what a real man would have done,” he replied then looked away, unable to meet her gaze.

Buffy had no words for all the emotions coursing through her. He was insufferable one minute, the bain of her existence, and then in the next rapid heartbeat he was telling her what every woman wanted to hear. She had to get out, out of this office, out of this conversation. She was stepping into unknown territory, territory in which she would have to define her relationship with Spike in terms other than blind hatred.

“What game are you playing here Spike?” she asked.

“No game Buffy, really. I am sorry I hurt you, I truly am. I don’t know what it is about you and me, we seem to bring out the worst in each other,” he said wryly.

Buffy nodded in agreement.

“It’s one of the reasons I’ve kept way.”

His confession surprised her, but before she could question it he continued.

“I think it’s for the best, I have a ton of work to do here so I’ll be late home most nights. Keep out of you hair and what not.”

“Thanks, I appreciate it,” she replied.

“Well it’s only a couple more days, no big deal. It’s the least I can do.”

“Well I guess I’ll see you round,” she said. Buffy made her way to the closed office door and started in surprise when it opened for her.

“So guys, I’ve invited Cordy to go ice skating with us tonight.” Angel appeared all smiles on the other side of the door. Apparently Spike’s attempt at playing Cupid had been successful.

“Oh, well I don’t want to be the third wheel, I’ll just stay at home,” Buffy replied, dying to get out of Spike’s office.

“What third wheel Buffy? When I say ‘we’ I mean the four of us,” Angel explained.

“Four?”

“Yes, me and Cordy and you and Spike. I figure it’s a public place so you two won’t try to attack each other with the skates,” Angel beamed. Buffy could tell he had wanted this date with Cordy for some time.

“Sounds great, I guess it’s the four of us then,” she replied sounding anything but enthused.

So much for keeping their distance.