Chapter 7 - Are we having fun yet?

“Buffy, its mom. Just checking in to see how things are going. Give me a call when you get a chance. Hope you are having some fun with your brother.”

“Are you having fun yet?” Buffy asked as she skated to a stop at Spike’s feet, after he fell over, yet again. Unable to resist the temptation she also accidentally-on-purpose sprayed him with ice as she did so.

“Umm let me think,” he answered sarcastically whilst trying to get himself upright again. “No.”

“Poor little Spikey, ice skating not your thing?” she sing-songed as she swept by him with style and grace that five years of skating lessons had brought her. She went to make her way around the rink but something stopped her dead in her tracks.

Angel and Cordy.

They were in the middle of the rink together, and try as she might Buffy couldn’t help but smile. They were so cute together. There was something about watching a relationship form in front of you, like watching a baby discover the world for the first time. The simplest things were turned into magical events. Like a baby tyring to walk and feeling their way through, stumbling over obstacles but in the end learning together to love and care for each other.

“Until it all falls in a heap,” Buffy mubbled to herself as she watched Cordy and Angel do the same. However unlike Buffy they were not wallowing in their failures. They were picking themselves up and dusting themselves off to try again.

‘Easy to do when you have someone to lend you a hand’, Buffy thought bitterly. ‘What if the person lending you a hand has run off to help someone else?’

“Hello, I could use a hand please.”

Buffy looked around to find Spike flat on his back, yet again. He looked so helpless failing about on the ice and the situation was made all the more endearing because he hadn’t changed from the office; he was skating in his suit and overcoat. He looked like a human penguin. For reasons she did not want to acknowledge Buffy took pity on him and skated over to lend him a hand.

He hadn’t expected her to help him. Truth be told he saw her looking over at the blossoming relationship between Angel and Cordy and had wanted to distract her from the heartache it would bring. His original plan was to skate over and make some smart remark. However he quickly reverted to plan B when he tripped over his own feet.

“You know with the amount of time you spend on your back you should take up luge,” Buffy joked. She extended her hand to help him up and he ignored the tingle that shot though his own as they touched. She pulled him to a standing position and at the same time into her arms. She looked like an ice princess with her hair all windswept, her cheeks flushed from the cold weather. A moment later he realised that he had been staring for a little too long.

“Thanks, I always knew something good would come from me lying on my back,” he commented, his smiled broadening when her eyes widened at his suggestion.

“Eww, lewd much?” She went to push him away, momentarily forgetting that they were on solid ice, not solid ground. Spike however, did not forget and desperately grabbed her arms for support. Instead of support he brought her crashing down onto the ice and on top of him. It was the last thing he remembered as everything went black.

“Spike.”

He could hear his name but all he could see was stars. He could feel the cool of the ice on his back chilling him to the bone; however he could also feel a warmth, comforting him.

“Spike, wake up.”

He tried to open his eyes, why were his lids so heavy? He tried to piece together the events that had brought him to be lying on the ground.

“Spike,” called the voice, a voice of an ice princess.

“Spike.” The siren was calling him out of the darkness and into the light.

“Spike if you don’t open your eyes and get you ass off this ice I swear I will kick it from here to Sunnydale.”

His eyes snapped open and stared directly into... not the eyes of an ice princess, or even an Angel, but of Angel’s sister.

“Ice Princess?” He looked around him. That’s right... damned ice skating. He knew why he was flat on his back, but why was Buffy lying on his front and stirring things in his anatomy that should be shrinking in the cold.

“If you wanted me flat on my back love, all you had to do was ask,” he teased, raising his eyebrows as he watched a horrified Buffy scramble to her feet.

“I don’t think so Spike. I just didn’t want to have to carry your sorry and cold ass home tonight.” She started to skate off.

“You could try to be a little nicer to me. I was just trying to help.”

That stopped her in her tracks.

“Help me, how in the hell do you think that calling me an ice princess is helping me?”

“Not that, you don’t want to stay here and watch love blossom.” He looked over at Angel and Cordy. “Anymore than I do.” He watched her face change as sadness washed over it.

“Come on Summers, do yourself a favour. Let’s get out of here. They won’t know or care if we leave. I think there’s a Meg Ryan marathon on the telly tonight.” He could see her resolve crumbling.

“Will you shout the ice cream?” she asked with a pout. He knew he was in trouble. What was she trying to do to him with that bottom lip?

“Only if you help me and make sure I make it off the rink in one piece.”

“Deal,” she agreed as she took his hand. The shock of that action alone almost caused another trip to the rinks icy floor. He didn’t question it, he was too preoccupied with how good her hand felt in his.