AN: Sorry for the delay but i am back :) Did you miss me? Here is another chapter for you to enjoy. I am loving writing this one i hope you are enjoying reading it too. Would love to know peoples thoughts on it. I know its a short chapter but i will make it up to you all i promise perhaps with another chapter that you dont have to wait 3 months for lol.

Thanks

Chapter 8 - Sleeping Beauty

“Spike, Lorne here sweetcakes. I need to reschedule our meeting tomorrow. Can’t do 9am, can we make it 11 at your apartment? You know how that office of yours gives me the creeps. Ta Ta.”

Spike was busy trying to rub the pain out of his arse, he had fallen another three times before making it to the side of the rink safely. Buffy swore she was trying to help him from falling but her laughter at each fall somewhat negated her words.

He gingerly sat himself down in the cab and checked his phone messages as Buffy gave the driver the address.

“Bollocks,” he cursed.

“Problem Spike?”

“Yeah, I have to swing by work and pick up the Henderson file. I have a meeting with Lorne tomorrow and due to our own version of ice capades I have to pull an all nighter to be ready for it.” He sighed with frustration.

“Wait a second, your client it Lorne Henderson?”

He caught a look of recognition in her eyes at the mention of his flamboyant client’s name. He had seen the same look in Cordy’s the first time also. He suspected that was the real reason Lorne avoided his office.

“Don’t tell me you are going to loose it like Cordy did?” he said and rolled his eyes as he watched the city pass him by.

“Why would I do that?” Buffy asked, trying to sound nonchalant and failing miserably.

“Because he makes dresses or something like that,” Spike replied flippantly.

“Lorne Henderson is one of the leading fashion designers in New York!” Buffy corrected. “His last collection was one of the highlights of New York fashion week. He had three gowns featured at the Golden Globes and his men’s collection…”

“Yet you have no reason to loose it?” he asked as he raised his eyebrows.

“No, what I mean is I didn’t study fashion design for three years at college and not listen, Spike.”

He had forgotten that. He knew she had studied something girly at college. Come to think of it, he had some vague recollection of Angel mentioning something about her coming top of her class. But when it came to all things Buffy he chose to tune out.

“Let me tell you there is nothing fashionable about his finances. He may know how to balance a print with a plain colour but the man cannot balance a cheque book.”

The sound of Buffy’s laughter filled the cab, and try as he might to fight it soon he was laughing along with Buffy all the way to his office.

~~~~

Buffy looked over at the clock 2am and she was still tossing and turning. She had gone straight to her room after coming home, wanting to give Spike his space so he could get his work done.

It was no mean feat; she had wanted to ask him so many questions about Lorne Henderson. The biggest one being, can he give me a job? She had studied fashion design for three long years as USC, and if her mark—and the fact she topped her class—was anything to go by she had some talent. At least that’s what everyone told her.

She wasn’t so sure.

It was one of the hang ups she had picked up from her relationship with Riley, her lack of belief in her designs. He never supported her career. The fact he called it a dream was the first in a very long list of reasons why she doubted she could make it as a designer. He used to introduce her to his friends as a dressmaker. He had also tried unsuccessfully to talk her out of designing her own wedding dress. Let a professional do it he had insisted, why run the risk of ruining her big day? Imagine if she got a job with Lorne Henderson, that would show Riley just how much of a dressmaker she was.

However in order to get the job it would mean she had to do two things she had been dreading ever since she had arrived in New York. One was telling Angel that this stay was no vacation. And the other asking Spike for a favour, and she was sure last time she checked the weather channel hell had not frozen over.

Ice cream, ice cream would make this all better. She got herself up out of bed and made her way to the kitchen. She stopped in her tracks as she got to the dining room. Spike looking more like William than she had seen him in a long time. He had fallen asleep at the table, his glasses askew with a slight snore passing his lips. She giggled at the sight. Gone was the bad ass rocker he tried to be, as well has the hard nosed banker he was. He looked at peace, she hadn’t seen that look on his face for a very long time not since… She shook the bad memories from her mind as she passed him and made her way into the kitchen.

Half a tub of Ben and Jerry’s later she made her way back to bed. Spike had not moved an inch. She rubbed her bare shoulders as a chill passed through the air. She looked back over at Spike and took more pity on him than she should. Wrapping the spare blanket around his shoulders she froze as he stirred and sighed an unspoken thank you. Unable to stop herself she ran her fingers through his hair. It was still as soft as she had remembered. She pulled her hand away, as though she had been burned at the sound of his murmurs. That was all she needed, him waking up and being all pissed at her.

She hurried off to bed, trying not to think about the thoughts and feeling that Spike had stirred within her.