Chapter 9

“Angel, what happened to you last night? Just tell Cordy not to be late this morning and that I should be in about 11. Also, if Buffy asks you came home last night. Long story.”


As Spike awoke the crick in his neck and the bank statement that was stuck to his face, made him acutely aware that he had fallen asleep when least expected. Not in his bed like a normal person, but at the dining room table whilst trying to finish his work—like crazed workaholics with no life do.

He sat up and stretched, trying to work the knots out of his back, the blanket around his shoulders falling to the floor without him even noticing. Checking his Rolex he cursed under his breath. He was running late. It was already 8am; Lorne would be here in under an hour. He would have to motor if he was going to get himself—let alone his work—ready for the meeting.

So focused he was on not being late that he didn’t registerer the sound of the running shower in the bathroom as he started to brush his teeth.

“Angel?” Buffy’s voice startled him and caused his toothpaste to drip down his chest instead of into his mouth.

Should he answer back? She knew someone was in the bathroom and he knew enough to know that world war three would break out if she figured out it was him instead of…

“Angel, can you pass me the razor? I forgot the grab it.”

He could see from the reflection in the mirror her silhouette behind the shower curtain. She had stuck her hand out from behind it, moving it ever so slightly so it revealed more than just her hand.

Great now he needed a cold shower as well. Was this women born to be a pain is his ass?

He shoved the razor into her hand with more force than he meant to.

“Gee thanks Hulk, by the way you need to try to keep it down. Spike pulled an all-nighter. He looks pretty wiped.”

Spike smiled in spite of himself, maybe she wasn’t such a bitch after all.

“That and the fact he turns into the worlds biggest asshole if you wake him up.”

Or not.

****

“Where is Angel?”

Spike tried hard not to choke on his coffee as Buffy stepped out of the bathroom in her baby pink robe, hair wrapped up in a towel. Cold shower, check.

“Listen... this is an apartment, not a day spa. I have a meeting here in half an hour and unless you want my client to see your goodies I suggest you get changed.” He stepped back into the kitchen and poured himself another coffee.

“Did he wake you up as he left?” Buffy asked.

Spike felt the crick in his neck tighten even further.

“No, he didn’t,” he replied stiffly, glaring at her as she plodded around the kitchen to make breakfast. Her robe opening slightly as she reached up on tip toes to reach the captain crunch. Was she deliberately driving him crazy?

“Here let me,” he offered as he leant over and grabbed the cereal from the top shelf. She stood back, seemingly a little shocked at his helping her, and it kicked his mind back into gear. He had several things he needed to do before Lorne arrived.

“I have to have a shower,” he stated.

“Um about that... I might have used all the hot water,” Buffy replied as she bent over to get the milk out of the refrigerator.

Screw the hot water he needed to calm down, and now.

“I’m a big boy I think I can handle it.”

****

It had been over an hour since Spike’s meeting had started and Buffy had all but painted the walls in her room. She wanted to go out there so badly, just to meet Lorne of course. Not to ask for a job, honest. Any thoughts of her being able to do that were swept away on the tide of Spike’s cranky mood. He was not a morning person that was for sure.

Maybe if she just went out to get a glass of water she mused. There was no harm in getting water. She checked her reflection in the mirror; she didn’t want to look shabby for a potential employer... I mean, Spikes client, she thought.

“I tell you Lorne, you have to find something, otherwise the IRS is going to have a field day with you.” Spike sounded every part the hard nosed business man and as she rounded the corner she saw he looked the part too. His suit jacket was off and he had wound the sleeves of his crimson business shirt up the revel his forearms. When did he find time to work out?

“I know sweets, but all those charities are so passé. I don’t want to give my money to just anything. I want to contribute make the world a better place and by that I mean...”

She had seen pictures of Lorne in Vouge and had thought they might have been photoshoped to exaggerate the colours he wore. But now she knew there was no touch ups needed. He was larger than life sitting at the table. His trademark was a green scarf wrapped around his neck, which really brought out the bright purple of his silk shirt. The man not only knew how to design with bold colours but how to wear them as well.

“Find a legal way to reduce your taxable income.” Spike sighed as he ruffled back through his papers.

Maybe the water could wait.

“Anyway I am a trendsetter, I design what people must have. I don’t follow Spike I lead,” Lorne reminded.

“I know that Lorne, but do you have any idea how hard it is to set up a charity, let alone one that isn’t already established? There are only so many coloured ribbons to go around.”

“What about a silk factory?” Buffy was surprised by her own voice and scared by the looks that Spike was throwing her way. She used the stunned silence to continue.

“In Thailand many uneducated women can only become waitresses or much worse. The line between a life on the street and a paying job is a fine one. You could set up a silk factory and employ and educate those women. Then use the fabrics in your designs, in turn making you more money.”

“I love it, Spike where have you been hiding this little ray of sunshine?” Lorne gushed as he moved to shake her hand.

“In the spare room,” he grumbled under his breath.

“Well I suggest you get her out of there and introduce us,” Lorne insisted.

“This is Buffy Summers my roommate’s sister,” Spike said unenthusiastically.

“Pleased to meet you, Buffy,” Lorne greeted warmly.

“Likewise,” Buffy smiled.

“I like the way you think. You know what, you’re just what I didn’t know I was looking for. A smart little cookie like you, who obviously knows fashion and has some business nous to boot, you’ll fit right it. And aren’t you just as cute as a button! You’re perfect, exactly what I need.”

Buffy’s head was spinning, he couldn’t seriously be going where she thought he was going. Could he?

“I insist you come work for. Wanna job?”)

“No,” Spike shook his vehemently.

Buffy felt like she was about to explode with excitement. Lorne was offering her a job. She hadn’t meant to speak up like that. All she wanted to do was to be introduced to the man, being offered a job was almost the last thing on her mind. A job that would take her away from Sunnydale, show Riley that her designing was more than a hobby and...

“She doesn’t want the job,” Spike insisted.

A job that Spike was currently turning down on her behalf.

“Actually,” Buffy interrupted. “I would love a job. I’ve only been here a few days. I wasn’t going to start looking for another week or so, but this is perfect.”

“You are going home in a week.” It was more of an order than a statement from Spike.

“See here’s the thing, Spike,” Buffy corrected forcefully. “I was planning to stay a little longer.” She knew he wouldn’t be happy to hear that and she shifted under his gaze. She had really wanted to discuss this with Angel first. But as she avoided Spike’s eye she knew she couldn’t avoid the topic now.

“How much longer? A few more weeks, months?” Spike ran his hands threw his hair in frustration, seemingly having forgotten his client’s presence.

This was not going to go well.

“I was thinking more like forever.”