Chapter 5




Chapter 5


Disclaimer: Buffy the Vampire Slayer belongs solely to Joss Whedon. I don't own any of the characters, that is unless I make one up!


A/N: Somebody asked if I was British and no sorry I'm not, I'm actually from Australia!!!


Summary: Buffy learns her fates and takes a little solace in Spike


It was dusk when a loud knock rattled on Giles' oak door.


"Come in," shouted Buffy who was flicking through the tv channels whilst Giles was preparing a pot of tea in the kitchen.


It was time for another Scooby meeting, or more so, it was time for Buffy to learn her fate.


"Hi guys" Willow announced as she pushed through the front door, Xander and Anya trailing behind her, Xander clinging onto a large, flat box.


"We have bought pizza to satisfy our primordial instinct to eat in order to survive" Anya clarified, grinning at her profound knowledge of human behaviour, proud evident in her gleaming eyes.


"Ah… thanks for that Ahn, I'm sure they'll all appreciate it" Xander responded, placing the pizza box on the coffee table.


"Yes, very much," Giles smiled sincerely at Anya, carrying the pot of tea and tea cups into the living room.


Buffy suddenly noticed the uncomfortable atmosphere in the room as the group gathered around, each one carefully eyeing each other, seemingly avoiding Buffy's eye contact at all times. A few minutes had passed and still no one spoke. Giles sipped his tea constantly although it never appeared to decrease in content. Xander and Willow munched loudly on the oily slices of pizza, not looking up once. Anya on the other hand, was restless, her eyes travelled anxiously around the room, occasionally picking at the topping of her pizza.


"So who's going to tell Buffy the good news?" Xander jumped to cover Anya's mouth but it was too late, Buffy's ears pricked up and for once was giving Anya her undivided attention.


"Good news?" Buffy questioned, "That's a first. Scooby meetings are usually about the forthcoming evil undead or demon herd planning to take over sunnyhell."


Buffy raised her eyebrows at Giles who turned his gaze to his tea. After glancing at both Willow and Xander who had avoided her prodding green eyes, Buffy finally rested upon Anya, whom was obviously prepared to tell all, wriggling on the edge of her seat.


"You get to have a baby" Anya announced, clapping her hands in glee.


Xander, shocked, stood up and dragged Anya out of the room by both hands, uttering many obscenities.


"Alright, what the hell is going on?" Buffy rose angrily, placing her hands on her hips.


Giles sucked in a large amount of air and proceeded to fill Buffy in on the details of her fate, excluding any information on Spike, whilst Willow looked on in apprehension.


After his explanation Giles rested back in to his seat. Buffy stared into space, slowly reducing to her knees in shock.


"This can't, I….I can't. It's impossible, I'm not ready yet" Buffy stammered.


"I know it's hard Buffy, you need some time to sort things through but remember that it affects not just you but humanity overall" Giles whispered still staring at his tea.


"That's absolute crap" Buffy flung her arms into the air, "You have no idea how it feels. I mean have you ever had someone order that you'll never get to experience young adulthood like everybody else. That you'll have to spend your days at home changing diapers and listening to the constant screams of a baby. Having your whole life restrained within 9 months. Sure, I accepted that my fate was to be the slayer but having to sacrifice what I have left of growing up is just too much"


A single tear ran down Buffy's cheek, "I just can't do it Giles, not now."


With that Buffy tore from the apartment, slamming the door behind her.


"Give her some time," Willow uttered sympathetically towards Giles, "She likes to be 'miss drama queen' on occasions."


Willow held in some doubt. Buffy looked fairly serious. Maybe, just maybe, a spell will help with the dealing process.


***************************


After circling the inner dimensions of Sunnydale, her head racing at a thousand miles per hour, Buffy came to rest on the backless swing in the playground. She was cold and again, alone. Buffy had searched for a pack of vamps, to get rid of all the anger and fear which was now welling in her throat ready to escape. Maybe she could scream? Then the lump might just disappear on its own.


Buffy whispered to herself, 'Why the hell would they do this to me? How long have they been keeping it from me? I'm not ready to have a baby. Hell…..I've barely become to accept that I'm no longer a child, I don't want more responsibility. Don't you think that saving the world is enough responsibility for a 19-year-old?'


Oh and Riley, there goes any chance of having a 'normal' relationship.


It was getting too much, Buffy's head felt like it was about to explode, she let out a stupefying scream that moved the silence of the earth.


Suddenly, a white body stumbled out of the bushes, game face on, fists held tightly towards his chest.


"You alright luv? Heard that piercing scream from at least a mile away!" Spike commented, his eyes darting from side too side, preparing himself for attack.


"Geez Spike, you're always there, always in my way, can't you just be a good little vamp and just piss off?" Buffy angrily stood up and began to walk away.


"Just thought you needed my help is all" Spike started to draw lines in the dirt with his feet.


Spinning around Buffy sarcastically answered "Like you'd do any good anyway" and flipped her hair behind her shoulders.


"Well I'm sooo sorry Slayer, next time remind to stand there and watch the crap being beaten out of you" Spike retrieved a cigarette from the top pocket of his duster along with his lighter.


Shielding the flame from the slight breeze, Spike inhaled loudly, paused and finally exhaled the intoxicating smoke through his nostrils.


Buffy, in a way, felt ashamed for jumping down Spikes throat. He was only trying to help.


"Wait!" Buffy exclaimed out loud "Spike is trying to help the slayer? Are we in an alternate dimension?" Buffy turned to look at Spike who had finished his cigarette and was clenching his jaw whilst wringing his hands in uncertainty.


"Sorry pet, didn't mean to care but looks like you could need some help, what with you expecting and all, need to keep you safe" Spike had strode over to the swing Buffy was once sitting on and swung one leg over, holding the chain for support.


"What did you just say?" Buffy's eyes widened and her mouth pursed into a small 'o' shape. She was shocked at Spike's comment. Does he know? Why would he know? She was confused.


"Oh bugger" Spike slapped his palm to his forehead, "Put my foot where my bloody mouth is again"


Buffy stormed up to spike and shot out her hand, encircling his neck with her skinny fingers.


"Whoa….hold on there luv….didn't mean to get involved, just overheard your watcher muttering something bout you and a little tyke!" Spike struggled to free himself from Buffy's super-strength grasp.


Loosening her grip and finally letting go, Buffy flopped down onto the swing next to him, scuffling her boots across the sand. She was completely empty and confused, Spike was the last thing on her mind right now. Images splayed in front of her eyes. Images of her, tired, hair limp, bags forming under her sunken eyes, surrounded in piles of soiled diapers, the youthful spark in her green eyes lost in her exhausted pupils.


Tears began to run down the curve of Buffy's cheek, Spike could see them glistening in the moonlight.


If he had a heart right now, it would ache for her. It wasn't easy seeing the Slayer so messed up and vulnerable.


"It'll be right luv, remember that I'm always here if you need someone to beat the shit out of when you're uptight" Spike patted her lightly on the head.


Buffy managed a slight smile "I knew you were good for something" she whispered, meeting his icey eyes.


He was cutting it close, Spike had somewhere he had to be. An appointment not to be missed. The touching moment had to end.


As fast as he had appeared, Spike disappeared from Buffy's view, slinking off into the night.


Buffy sighed and shivered from the cool breeze. She had some decisions to make before the sun rises on a new day.


**************************


TBC